Smoking Out The Bandits

OGRE MAGE
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Smoking Out The Bandits

#21 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Pauses looking from Dubricus and then to Renna, "Should we scout ahead? Possibly try to draw a few out or just attempt to get the lay of the land?" She waits for a consensus or thoughts from their leader.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan in the further back middle area of the march, halts when the others in front of him stop. He looks around unsure of why they stopped here & decides perhaps it is worth climbing a tree to get a better vantagepoint again like the last time he did this he hopes he doesn't hear the sound of a crossbow being locked and loaded. This time he tries to climb more quietly.

Climb 70% [1d100]=78
Move Silently 25% [1d100]=81 well it was worth a shot...
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

"We know they are encamped in the Caves of Chaos, but not the specific location. I suggest we proceed ahead and wait for them to retire for the evening."

"We can simultaneously discover their base of operations and ambush them as they arrive. I assume there will also be at least a couple bandits left behind as guards."

He then looks inquiringly at Crabgrass, as he alone in the group had actually visited the caves.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"The goal is find the bandits trail and follow it back to their base of operations which we believe is at the Caves of Chaos. We are not hoping to run into them on the trail, so I would suggest we stick together and find that crossing trail."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#25 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"I second keeping the group together. I'd hate for a few of us to stumble across the bandits- or have them stumble upon us while some of us are gone- and end up in combat with less than our full group. You might get some good info from scouting, but I don't think the risk is worth it right now. Remember, they are more familiar with the area than we are."
Memo to self: keep using words that Rob has to look up.

I was trying to see if I could get you to take the bait in my last post's ooc part. Sunday afternoon was when I was playing the game you were running. :wink:
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

The first caves were a Goblin and neighbouring Troll on the left side of the ravine and Kobolds in the right. A little above the Kobold's den were ledges used by the 'trophy headhunters'.

He points on any map places he is familiar with, beyond that he doesn't know too much. Familiars, a mage staple. On the way he will ask Dubricus regarding such creatures and why he has not bonded to one yet. Does he know such a spell?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Returning To The Scene
Mid Morning, Clear

The group agrees to stay together and search the forest for a trail the bandits use to get to their ambush point. Pimlan decides to start this day like he did the last, climbing up a tree until he is about 15 feet off the ground. However, before he can get a good look around, the branch he perches upon snaps, sending the persistent halfling spiraling to the ground again which ends in a painful thud. Again. 3 dam

With Magdal leading the way, the group continues through the forest moving parallel to the bandits trail. It takes another hour or two, but the young rangers confidence grows even higher when she successfully guides the group all the way through the woods, back out into the clearing on the other side. They can see across the vast clearing where they entered the forest the last time, heading towards the One Cave where things turned south in a hurry.
AreaAroundKeep_2.png
AreaAroundKeep_2.png (519.32 KiB) Viewed 209 times

Unfortunately, no other trails are discovered, but you have found a way to bypass the bandits roadway extortion detour. Dubricus beams with pride at the groups successful endeavour. "I told you all that I would get you through any danger. I must say, it would seem that, since we found no other trails, these bandits likely use the ease of the road to move back and forth to their cave in the ravine. In fact, I am sure of it."

The mage then proceeds to tell Crabgrass a long story about how he does indeed understand the magic necessary to summon a magical friend, though he has had little luck obtaining one for himself after a few tries. It seems the animals he has called so far were very picky about their masters.

Actions?

Magdal (R1) AC:7 16/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 10/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) AC:7 7/7
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:^ 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 16/16

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Renna leans on her staff thinking for a moment. "If these bandits are indeed using the road each day, then we should be able to find their trail. Let us head down to the road and see if we can pick up this trail to the caves. What say you our expert tracker, Magdal - is that possible?"

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

Meinhardt ponders how even a ranger could ascertain any specific tracks from the innumerable to be found on a well travelled road, but after noting that he personally wouldn't know the first step in tracking, keeps silent.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass
It seems the animals he has called so far were very picky about their masters.
"Perhaps a more exotic or intelligent creature than a black cat or forest owl will be attracted to bond with you?"

He wonders how 'mages sharing spells' actually works out in this region (or campaign)? On a quid pro quo level or gold piece value in mentorship and time?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#31 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spell sharing can be done at your leisure with a cost of 100gp per level for materials and one full days time per level to record them into another book.

GreyWolfVT

#32 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan twig sticking out of his hair looks deflated as he has once more failed at something he once was quite good at, climbing trees. He wants to question the leader's wisdom but decides to not second guess since so far his own instincts and thoughts haven't panned out well. He merely nods his head and agrees with the statement.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc helps Pim pick himself up. "Maybe you should stay out of trees, yes? They obviously do not appreciate you climbing them. And you made enough racket to wake the dead."
Dredd takes a deep breath and then says a bit more calmly, "Did you break anything? Are you alright?"
Winter is coming...

GreyWolfVT

#34 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pim half smiles at Dredd "Mostly hurt my pride, and my bum. Thanks Dredd. I used to be really good at climbing trees."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

With her long red hair, Magdal tries to hide the blush that appears when she is called an expert tracker, "Well..." she says a little unsure of herself, "I can certainly try, but I can't guarantee I can pick out the bandit's trail from all the other travelers."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#36 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

"Well, just do your best. That's all we can ask. If you can't pick them out, we'll just try something else. We know they'll be at the spot they rob travelers. We can watch from here and wait until they pass this way."
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Returning To The Scene
Mid Morning, Clear

Dubricus seems unfazed by the group finding little evidence of the bandits camp. He answers Crabgrass proudly. "EXACTLY, sir! I have said that before myself. Normal animals are fine for familiars, but someone with my superior intellect would only be happy with a very special creature to bond with. Possibly even a dragon."

Magdal happily leads the group back towards the road again, looking intently to the ground for prints or tracks. A short distance before they reach the North Road, she finds a section of trampled ground that cuts off the road and leads up to the forest detour trail. She can't be certain, but it does look like several boot prints have taken this little shortcut into the trees.

The dirt road itself is obviously covered in tracks that lead in both directions, to and from the castle and distant caves. Looking to the east, no travelers or carts can be seen on the road between here and the trail the group took into the briars last time.
AreaAroundKeep_2.png
AreaAroundKeep_2.png (519.38 KiB) Viewed 138 times

Actions?

Can I get a d20 Wisdom check with your next actions, please?

Magdal (R1) AC:7 16/16
Crobeus (P1) AC:3 10/10
Pimlan (F1/T1) H-L AC:6 4/9
Dubricus (M1) AC:8 5/5
Crabgrass (MU1/C1) AC:7 7/7
Meinhardt (MU1) AC:10 5/5
Renna (MU1/C1) Elf AC:4 9/9
Skratch (T1) H-O AC:6 8/8
Stobart (C1) AC:5 10/10
Dredd (F1) H-O AC:3 16/16

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Crabgrass: Wisdom check vs 14 [1d20]=6

I am thinking last time this group passed through here, Mendel and his wenches came through too. My impression was that they had no problem with the bandits and were given a poor reputation in the tavern. So I wonder if scouting for wagon tracks makes sense too. Thinking that whoever stocked the skeleton cave with whatever guarded goods inside, must have some leverage or influence over local bandits. Could he be the type?

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

"There were wagon tracks on the trail leading to the skeletons' cave. The barrels we found there had hidden compartments as if used for smuggling contraband. Wagon tracks do not necessarily implicate Mendel, though."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Sure, I was just trying to cover our tracks as it were, trawling tavern conversations and Dubricus comments to recall any information spoken about before but maybe overlooked.

Is the general consensus that the toll-taking bandits are the same group as the crossbowmen who attacked you by the skeleton cave? Or are they two different groups?

If scouting and waiting in the forest to ambush brigands doesn't work, then like it or lump it, you might have to return to the skeleton cave as at least you know some guards watch over the entrance.

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”