Trial Run

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Trial Run

#101 Post by Bhart »

Rodriguez wrote:
ChubbyPixie wrote: The main lesson I took away from the grog combat (that I didn't get a chance to take part in) is that you have to somewhat min/max when building your character. I tried to purposefully make my Blacksmith's assistant a slow, lumbering guy (Qik -3) who wasn't super "professional" (no shield, leather armor) ...and he got his pantaloons handed to him before he could even make a move... Does that sound accurate?
I disagree on the min/max part...
If one is slow, ill equipped, not much better in combat then the opponents and on the smaller team you need to be damn lucky to make it trough a fight in one piece. I think thats not an unreasonable outcome that would call for minmaxing.
Agreed. Take a look at Bandit 2. He went down just as quick and he was min/maxed with a +2 in Dex and Quickness, plus a 4-5 in weapon ability! The bandits were all built as starting grogs just like yours so you could say they have equal "levels". ArM combat is just deadly, one bad die roll and you could be finished. The 2 biggest influences on the out come is your weapon ability level (which is dependent on your experience) and the die roll.

You could max all your combat characteristics like Dex, Qik, Stamina, and Str. It would give you an edge but you can still be beat down in the first round like Bandit 2 if your opponent rolls well or you botch.

The slow lumbering concept will work, just give him something to compensate. Up his stamina or give him virtues that allow him to take a beating.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Don't get me wrong - I like how deadly it is. But I will take your advice. (And thanks)
In the case of the Blacksmith, I was thinking he wouldn't reasonably have access to (be able to afford) armor yet. But giving him more stamina and maybe a crude shield he banged out himself at the shop could work.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#104 Post by Bhart »

I will be offline for the next 4 days. I'll resume the game on Tuesday.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by onlyme »

Bhart wrote:I will be offline for the next 4 days. I'll resume the game on Tuesday.
no worries. I will be practically as well...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#106 Post by Bhart »

Ok I have a combat scenario involving magi and their grogs. You can face off against enemy magi or a mythical beast.

Are you guys ready or do any of you want more time?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by onlyme »

Bhart wrote:Ok I have a combat scenario involving magi and their grogs. You can face off against enemy magi or a mythical beast.

Are you guys ready or do any of you want more time?
I wont have time to use more time...so go ahead. Just if you can, pick out a magus from the book and I will attempt to calculate its numbers as they happen. I will switch to one I make up once I see what I need/want.

Sorry...work is a bear right now.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Done! With Vlricus the Magus. I didn't specifically set out with this intention, but he's basically Aquaman, as it turns out.

One question: What are the "plusses" after the individual spells? I'm not sure what #s to add to arrive at those...

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#111 Post by Bhart »

OK sorry for the delay. Real life demands my time again. I'll get this started by Wed.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#112 Post by Bhart »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Done! With Vlricus the Magus. I didn't specifically set out with this intention, but he's basically Aquaman, as it turns out.

One question: What are the "plusses" after the individual spells? I'm not sure what #s to add to arrive at those...
That is the total of your technique and form for that spell. It is added to your die roll when you cast the spell. If the total exceeds the level of the spell you cast it successfully without fatigue.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Bhart wrote:That is the total of your technique and form for that spell. It is added to your die roll when you cast the spell. If the total exceeds the level of the spell you cast it successfully without fatigue.
Ah... Guess I should've been able to work that out.

For my Companion, should I work out a knight or a hunter or something, or should I somehow come up with abilities for Chauncy, the Fairy Catfish? Would I do him as a Magical Beast, or a more standard Companion? Not sure what the best approach is. I feel he should have some magic, since, well, he doesn't have arms...

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#114 Post by Rodriguez »

I think the book says one should create companions that then go on quests with other mages. If Chauncy usually stays with Vlricus I think he should probably a GM char if there is no Player that thinks he could pull it off well. Especially because he probably more a connection to the Fey realm and not to the realm of men.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Rodriguez wrote:I think the book says one should create companions that then go on quests with other mages. If Chauncy usually stays with Vlricus I think he should probably a GM char if there is no Player that thinks he could pull it off well. Especially because he probably more a connection to the Fey realm and not to the realm of men.
Oh, right. Makes sense. I need to make a companion that will be someone else's companion, but that I will control. Was momentarily confused...

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#116 Post by Bhart »

Ok better late than never.

Hey David, I'll use the flambeau magus from page 25 for you.

Ok guys the three of you and your shield grogs are traveling along the banks of the river. You are on your way to collect Aquam Vis from a pool at the base of a waterfall where the waters are only magical on the first full moon of summer. With the falls in sight you run into Magi from another covenant. They are here trying to poach your Vis!

Do you want to attempt a negotiation or attack them?
Attachments
ars magica.png
ars magica.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 813 times

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#117 Post by Rodriguez »

Rue would prefer to negotiate.
"What are you doing here!" hisses the small old lady. "This is our land, get lost!"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by onlyme »

Flambeau prefers negotiating as well, I think.

None of you shall be harmed if you walk away. If not... and then shakes his head.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Aha!" says Vlricus, "*Ahem* Good sirs! I believe what my compatriot meant to say is that there is of course no need for anyone to come to harm! This should be taken as a given. Though,as I'm sure none of us are fools, it is clear that our errands being one and the same are perhaps ...ah ...conflictuous. Therefore we are at a bit of an impass, it seems."

He nudges Flambeau gently and whispers, still smiling in the direction of their adversaries "Sir, we have no idea what these magi are capable of! Lets not be too rash..."

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#120 Post by Bhart »

My apologies guys. I'm juggling a lot right now at work and home. Things should be better by the end of the week. I'll do my best to get back in the game asap.

Return to “Ars Magica - A New Covenant”