Trial Run

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Trial Run

#61 Post by Bhart »

Rodriguez wrote:
Bhart wrote:
Bandit 3 attacks Heinrich with a short sword!
[1d10] = 5
11(dex,weapon,ability)-3(wound penalty)+5=13
Heinrich please roll defense vs 13
Roll 6

2dex+8dodge+6roll=16

Heinrich easily move out of the way of the bandits slash, the wound under his sword arm making is movements noticable less powerful...

(would have Heinrich be hit if Bandit 3 wasn't hurt? Do we have to roll over?)
No the bandit would have a 16 instead of a 13. Ties go to the defender.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by Bhart »

Bandit 1 vs Angus
Angus Defense: 7(qik, weapon, ability)+0= 7
14(Bandit atk)-7(Angus def)=7
7+7(str, weapon)=14-9(Angus stamina, armor soak)=5 damage
5=light wound

Angus is nicked by the axe blade. The sight of his own blood makes the anger begin to rise!
Roll 1d10+2 please. Result of 9 or higher and you go berserk.

Bandit 3 vs Heinrich

13(atk)-16(def)=Miss

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by onlyme »

Bhart wrote:Bandit 1 vs Angus
Angus Defense: 7(qik, weapon, ability)+0= 7
14(Bandit atk)-7(Angus def)=7
7+7(str, weapon)=14-9(Angus stamina, armor soak)=5 damage
5=light wound

Angus is nicked by the axe blade. The sight of his own blood makes the anger begin to rise!
Roll 1d10+2 please. Result of 9 or higher and you go berserk.

[1d10] = 8
+2=10, so apparently he has decided to become beserk.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by Bhart »

While berserk you get +2 to attack and soak, -2 to defense.
If you wish, you can make a roll at the start of each turn to try to calm down. Stress roll+perception+2 vs 6. I made a mistake earlier...whenever you are wounded your berserk check is vs 6 not 9.

Angus is up!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by onlyme »

Bhart wrote:While berserk you get +2 to attack and soak, -2 to defense.
If you wish, you can make a roll at the start of each turn to try to calm down. Stress roll+perception+2 vs 6. I made a mistake earlier...whenever you are wounded your berserk check is vs 6 not 9.

Angus is up!
[1d10] = 3
He will attack the closest bandit.
(no need to be non beserk)
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by onlyme »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Rudolfus lifts a finger then lets it drop."Ungh." he says. Then a snot bubble forms in his nose.
I believe you would need to roll to see if you botched the snot bubble attempt, and ended up eating it instead.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by ChubbyPixie »

onlyme wrote:
ChubbyPixie wrote:Rudolfus lifts a finger then lets it drop."Ungh." he says. Then a snot bubble forms in his nose.
I believe you would need to roll to see if you botched the snot bubble attempt, and ended up eating it instead.
:lol:
I think we can just assume he fails his bubble roll.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by Bhart »

Sorry for the delay. Life's been busy the last few days. I'll move things forward later today.

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#70 Post by Rodriguez »

No problem! :)

I was thinking a bit about the combat pace and maybe we can speed things up a bit.
We can only really decide what to do and how to influence our rolls when our Initiative is up, otherwise its just reacting to your call for defense rolls.
How about this: Instead of rolling juat once we give you multiple rolls that can then be used for defense or other stuff that comes up.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by onlyme »

Rodriguez wrote:No problem! :)

I was thinking a bit about the combat pace and maybe we can speed things up a bit.
We can only really decide what to do and how to influence our rolls when our Initiative is up, otherwise its just reacting to your call for defense rolls.
How about this: Instead of rolling juat once we give you multiple rolls that can then be used for defense or other stuff that comes up.

I think it is probably cleaner if the GM rolls our defense number at time of need instead. If not, we would be making rolls every round just in case. It could get confusing and cluttered. THe GM knows exactly when it is required, and if any changes to the +/- effects.

But, obviously that add to his work.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#72 Post by Bhart »

onlyme wrote:

I think it is probably cleaner if the GM rolls our defense number at time of need instead. If not, we would be making rolls every round just in case. It could get confusing and cluttered. THe GM knows exactly when it is required, and if any changes to the +/- effects.

I like that idea. After all it's just a die server generating the number. It doesn't really matter if I click the button or you do. However I understand that making your "own" rolls with your "own dice" is part of the gaming experience. I get it if anyone has objections.

If it feels unnatural to not roll "your own", we could have everyone declare actions and roll both attack and defense at the top of each round. I think it would be easier for me to manage than a list of pre rolled numbers for each player.

Thoughts?

Do you guys want to finish the combat or do you have a good feel for how it works?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by onlyme »

Bhart wrote:
onlyme wrote:

I like that idea. After all it's just a die server generating the number. It doesn't really matter if I click the button or you do. However I understand that making your "own" rolls with your "own dice" is part of the gaming experience. I get it if anyone has objections.

If it feels unnatural to not roll "your own", we could have everyone declare actions and roll both attack and defense at the top of each round. I think it would be easier for me to manage than a list of pre rolled numbers for each player.

Thoughts?

Do you guys want to finish the combat or do you have a good feel for how it works?

(edit to correct teh format) I still dont understand what I am adding and subtracting. Unfortunately work was crazy last week, and hasnt let up much this one, so I wasnt able to focus on the details like I wished. If you could walk me through the last attack and defense round, I would appreciate it.
Last edited by onlyme on Tue May 14, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodriguez
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#74 Post by Rodriguez »

Bhart wrote: I like that idea. After all it's just a die server generating the number. It doesn't really matter if I click the button or you do. However I understand that making your "own" rolls with your "own dice" is part of the gaming experience. I get it if anyone has objections.

Thoughts?
I would also be fine if you would roll for me when its not my turn to act.
Bhart wrote: Do you guys want to finish the combat or do you have a good feel for how it works?
I would prefer If we move on

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#75 Post by Bhart »

onlyme wrote:I still dont understand what I am adding and subtracting. Unfortunately work was crazy last week, and hasnt let up much this one, so I wasnt able to focus on the details like I wished. If you could walk me through the last attack and defense round, I would appreciate it.
Sure no problem. How about this, we run one round of combat between Angus and a bandit starting with an initiative roll. This way you have the chance to run through one whole cycle focused just on your character and his stats. Sound ok?

Intiative: Quickness+Weapon Mod-Encumbrance+Stress Die Roll
Attack: Dexterity+Weapon Mod+Ability+Stress Die Roll
Defense: Quickness+Weapon Mod+Ability+Stress Die Roll
Weapon modifiers are found on page 176.

Bandit Initiative
Quickness: 2
Weapon Mod: 1
Encumbrance: 3
Die Roll: [1d10] = 7
2+1-3+7=7
In practice all of your combat totals would be added up ahead of time so you could just add your Init, attack, or defense modifier to the die roll. We will write out all of the math for educational purposes ;)

Bandit Attack
Dexterity: 2
Weapon Mod: 3
Ability (Single Weapon): 5
Die Roll: [1d10] = 10
This is a stress roll so a 0 is not 10 like a normal roll, but a 0. Now we make a "botch" roll to see if he botched the attack...
Botch Roll: [1d10] = 5
The result is not another 0 so the bandit did not botch, but he still has only a 0 to add to his modifiers.
Final roll result: 0
2+3+5+0= 10

Bandit Defense
Quickness: 2
Weapon Mod: 0
Ability (Single Weapon): 5
Die Roll: [1d10] = 3
2+0+5+3= 10

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by onlyme »

Bhart wrote:-------------------Angus the Berserker
+3 Strength +2 Stamina +2 Dexterity +1 Quickness
Size:+1
Weapons: Pole axe: Init +1; Atk +5; Dfn 0; Dam +11
Soak:+9(Stamina, metal full scale)
Fatigue Levels:5 (OK, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious)
Wound Penalties:-1 (dmg 1-6) -3 (dmg 7-12) -5 (dmg 13-18)
Incapacitated (dmg 19-24)

abilities... 5 Great Weapons (pole axe)
So Angus' init would be:
[1d10] = 7 +1 quick +1 poleaxe = 9

attack would be:
[1d10] = 4 +2 dext +5 attack + (what ability mod? is it 5 for great weapons?) = 11+/- ability so assuming a 16? and if beserk would be 18

Defense would be:
[1d10] = 7 +1 quick +1 poleaxe +/- ability = 9 +/- ability, so assuming a 14? and if beserk would be a 12...

edit to add berserkedness. thanks
Last edited by onlyme on Tue May 14, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#78 Post by Bhart »

onlyme wrote:
attack would be:
[1d10] = 4 +2 dext +5 attack + (what ability mod? is it 5 for great weapons?) = 11+/- ability so assuming a 16? and if beserk would be 18
It depends on the weapon you are wielding. Let's assume you are using your pole axe, then yes it would be great weapons which is 5, but you have a specialization of pole axe in that ability so it's treated as 6. Your total is 19.
onlyme wrote: Defense would be:
[1d10] = 7 +1 quick +1 poleaxe +/- ability = 9 +/- ability, so assuming a 14? and if beserk would be a 12...
Total is 13. You forgot to add the +1 for specialization in pole axe. Every ability has a word in parenthesis. This is the specialization for that ability and anytime you are using the ability relative to the thing mentioned you get a +1. In your case you have Great Weapon (Pole Axe) 5...so it's treated as 6. :)

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#79 Post by Bhart »

Initiative
Angus=9
Bandit=7
Angus goes first!

Angus Attack
Your Attack =19
Bandit defense =10
19-10=9
That's a hit!

Now add the attack advantage of 9 to your strength and weapon modifier. Then subtract the bandit's soak (3) from that total to give me final damage.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by onlyme »

Bhart wrote:Initiative
Angus=9
Bandit=7
Angus goes first!

Angus Attack
Your Attack =19
Bandit defense =10
19-10=9
That's a hit!

Now add the attack advantage of 9 to your strength and weapon modifier. Then subtract the bandit's soak (3) from that total to give me final damage.

So Str +3, Weapon damage +11 =14 - their soak (3) = 11 ???

Return to “Ars Magica - A New Covenant”