OOC Out of Character Chat

TheMyth
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: OOC Out of Character Chat

#21 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Anything else that might help to try and flesh out a plant based alien race...hmm what if I find something from mutants and masterminds or another such scifi ish game/ruleset?Would any of that help? I only ask as yes I see you added the Trees of Cheem but my original two alien races would work pretty good as Torchwood agents. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#22 Post by TheMyth »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:14 am Anything else that might help to try and flesh out a plant based alien race...hmm what if I find something from mutants and masterminds or another such scifi ish game/ruleset?Would any of that help? I only ask as yes I see you added the Trees of Cheem but my original two alien races would work pretty good as Torchwood agents. :)
As I said, this is all very DIY.

Can you tell me what YOU want? Definitely steal from M&M as you wish.

Wasn't Torchwood pretty anti-alien for the most part? What are your ideas?

GreyWolfVT

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Right they were though if you recall the aliens that were tech savvy had devices that made them appear human. So if most in Torchwood didn't know they were aliens. Unless a Timelord randomly appears and exposes them likely nobody there would ever find out. That and Jack Harkness was in Torchwood and wasn't as anti-alien.

Basically I was thinking a Vinvocci torchwood agent or genius inventors. Otherwise, a Zocci "something" I know Bannakaffalatta was a cyborg but I felt like it was supposed to be a secret among his kind he made it sound like they would shun him for being such. Idk I'm mostly spinning ideas without any idea as to how to make the "package" for it.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by TheMyth »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:09 pm Right they were though if you recall the aliens that were tech savvy had devices that made them appear human. So if most in Torchwood didn't know they were aliens. Unless a Timelord randomly appears and exposes them likely nobody there would ever find out. That and Jack Harkness was in Torchwood and wasn't as anti-alien.

Basically I was thinking a Vinvocci torchwood agent or genius inventors.
Good. This is where I thought your mind might be going. Totally likely Vinvocci agents might want to recover something of theirs currently held by Torchwood. The agent might have "gone native" and agrees advanced tech needs to be kept out of amateur hands.

Or your PC might have found the "something" ... and we can whip up a Gadget!
Otherwise, a Zocci "something" I know Bannakaffalatta was a cyborg but I felt like it was supposed to be a secret among his kind he made it sound like they would shun him for being such. Idk I'm mostly spinning ideas without any idea as to how to make the "package" for it.
Yeah, Bannakaffalatta was such an interesting character, but almost nothing is revealed about his species. Except that cyborgs are shunned by the greater Galactic community. (Despite it being relatively available.)

GreyWolfVT

#25 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I like the idea of infiltrating Torchwood trying to get back Vinvocci technology, then seeing what they are about and falling into the role of pretech alien tech from the hands of amateurs', it could even have been something they helped create.

Not sure how I am doing on this but this is my DIY trying to make a package for Vinvocci

Vinvocci
INGENUITY +3
Resolve +2
Gadgetry +2
Repair +2
Fast Healer +1
Technically Adept +2
Resourceful Pockets +1
Eccentric -1
Alien +2
Alien Appearance -1
Strange Appearance -1

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by TheMyth »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:21 pm I like the idea of infiltrating Torchwood trying to get back Vinvocci technology, then seeing what they are about and falling into the role of pretech alien tech from the hands of amateurs', it could even have been something they helped create.

Not sure how I am doing on this but this is my DIY trying to make a package for Vinvocci

Vinvocci
INGENUITY +3
Resolve +2
Gadgetry +2
Repair +2
Fast Healer +1
Technically Adept +2
Resourceful Pockets +1
Eccentric -1
Alien +2
Alien Appearance -1
Strange Appearance -1
Okay, let's sort out what would be the Species Package vs. the individual character:

VINVOCCI (Cost: 3 Character Points)
Ingenuity +1 (+1)
Alien (+2)
Alien/Strange Appearance: green, spiky skin (-2)
Boffin/Gadgeteer (+2)
Technically Adept (+1)
Eccentric (-1)

Character specific (7 CP)
Ingenuity +2 (+2)
Resolve +2 (+2)
Fast Healer, major: heal 1 point damage per game hour (+2)
Resourceful Pockets (+1)

A Vinvocci character would also have a Shimmer (a minor gadget costing 1 Story Point), or perhaps something more powerful?

Plus, so far the character is 4 CP over. Some potential additional Bad Traits:

Dark Secret, minor: Alien hiding on 21st century Earth (-1)

Obligation, minor: Obey rules of contact set forth by the Shadow Proclamation (-1)

Adversary, minor: Torchwood has enemies (-1)

Dependancy, minor: At least 1 hour/day of sunlight (-1)

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by cybersavant »

thought i'd posted this : :

Rorexsth, Catkind

Awareness 3 Coordination 4 Ingenuity 4 Presence 2 Resolve 4 Strength 2
Knowledge 4 Science 4 Technology 4 Subterfuge 3 Transport 2 Athletics 1
Brave Animal Lover Alien Alien Appearance
Boffin/Gadgeteer Distinctive Claws
Photographic Memory Impulsive Keen Senses
Technically Adept Good Samaritan Nightvision
Resourceful Pockets Insatiable Curiosity [ coordination +1 ]

willing to take adversary - what would be suitable??
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Rex »

Sorry, I haven't forgotten about this but been crazy busy. I will try to squeeze some research in soon.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#29 Post by TheMyth »

Rex wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:41 am Sorry, I haven't forgotten about this but been crazy busy. I will try to squeeze some research in soon.
Don't worry. I am behind posting the Trait rules...hoping everyone can sorta guess from the names. (There's no cheat sheet to copy
& paste!)

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by TheMyth »

cybersavant wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:50 am thought i'd posted this : :

Rorexsth, Catkind

Awareness 3 Coordination 4 Ingenuity 4 Presence 2 Resolve 4 Strength 2
Knowledge 4 Science 4 Technology 4 Subterfuge 3 Transport 2 Athletics 1
Brave Animal Lover Alien Alien Appearance
Boffin/Gadgeteer Distinctive Claws
Photographic Memory Impulsive Keen Senses
Technically Adept Good Samaritan Nightvision
Resourceful Pockets Insatiable Curiosity [ coordination +1 ]

willing to take adversary - what would be suitable??
Let's sort this out...

Attributes & Skills look solid.

Catkind (Cost: 5 Character Points)
Coordination +1 (+1)
Alien (+2)
Alien Appearance - Humanoid cat. (-2)
Natural Weapons – Claws: Catkind have very sharp claws that add +2 to their Strength when used in close combat. (+1)
Keen Senses (+2)
Nightvision (+1)

Brave (+1)
Animal Lover (-1)
Boffin/Gadgeteer (+2)
Distinctive (-1)
Photographic Memory (+2)
Impulsive (-1)
Technically Adept (+1)
Good Samaritan (-1)
Resourceful Pockets (+1)
Insatiable Curiosity (-1)

Over by 2 CP...

As you said, Adversary is a good option.

Also...Dark Secret! Remember Cassandra's remark: "Remember that Old Earth saying? Never trust a nun, never trust a nurse, and never trust a cat."

Maybe a Phobia? Or an Obligation?

Any ideas for a bit of back story??

GreyWolfVT

#31 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Okay, let's sort out what would be the Species Package vs. the individual character:

VINVOCCI (Cost: 3 Character Points)
Ingenuity +1 (+1)
Alien (+2)
Alien/Strange Appearance: green, spiky skin (-2)
Boffin/Gadgeteer (+2)
Technically Adept (+1)
Eccentric (-1)

Character specific (7 CP)
Ingenuity +2 (+2)
Resolve +2 (+2)
Fast Healer, major: heal 1 point damage per game hour (+2)
Resourceful Pockets (+1)

A Vinvocci character would also have a Shimmer (a minor gadget costing 1 Story Point), or perhaps something more powerful?

Plus, so far the character is 4 CP over. Some potential additional Bad Traits:

Dark Secret, minor: Alien hiding on 21st century Earth (-1)

Obligation, minor: Obey rules of contact set forth by the Shadow Proclamation (-1)

Adversary, minor: Torchwood has enemies (-1)

Dependancy, minor: At least 1 hour/day of sunlight (-1)
Shimmer is all I was thinking gadget wise. I like those 4 additional bad traits as well.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by cybersavant »

TheMyth wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:15 am
Let's sort this out...

Over by 2 CP...
Also...Dark Secret! Remember Cassandra's remark: "Remember that Old Earth saying? Never trust a nun, never trust a nurse, and never trust a cat."
Or an Obligation?
will figure out background once i get this sorted - probably some sort of tech/eng/sci [ will we be with the Doctor? or another Time Lord? ]
could work with dark secret - but i'll need some ideas that would work, same for obligation and adversary

here's how i calculated the points : :

awareness 3m coordination 3, ingenuity 4, presence 2, resolve 4, strength 2 = 18pts
knowledge 4, science 4, technology 4, subterfuge 3, transport 2, athletics 1 = 18pts
discretionary 6pts + bonus from bad traits =

animal lover -1, brave 1
distinctive -1, impulsive -1, gadgeteer 2
good samaritan -1, insatiable curiosity -1, photographic memory 2
catkind 5, technically adept 1
gaming since 1980

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by TheMyth »

Nope, no Doctor.

Unless Rex plans on creating a Time Lord, Time Agent, Tharil, or something else time-travelly, then I will provide an NPC to facilitate travel.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by TheMyth »

cybersavant wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:28 am
TheMyth wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:15 am
Let's sort this out...

Over by 2 CP...
Or an Obligation?
will figure out background once i get this sorted - probably some sort of tech/eng/sci [ will we be with the Doctor? or another Time Lord? ]
could work with dark secret - but i'll need some ideas that would work, same for obligation and adversary

here's how i calculated the points : :

awareness 3m coordination 3, ingenuity 4, presence 2, resolve 4, strength 2 = 18pts
knowledge 4, science 4, technology 4, subterfuge 3, transport 2, athletics 1 = 18pts
discretionary 6pts + bonus from bad traits =

animal lover -1, brave 1
distinctive -1, impulsive -1, gadgeteer 2
good samaritan -1, insatiable curiosity -1, photographic memory 2
catkind 5, technically adept 1
Okay, I see I miscalculated. By dropping Resourceful Pockets, the character fits the CharGen guidelines.

I was inquiring about a loose back story because that would help me suggest appropriate Dark Secrets or Obligations or Adversaries.

BUT, if you still want Resourceful Pockets, another possibility is to create a Gadget/Invention/Item/Relic that provides Resourceful Pockets. When you "buy" a Gadget with Story Points, those points get stored in the Item just for the Item's use. Since Resourceful Pockets (by rules as written) already requires a Story Point (which I think I might fuss with, btw), that stored point can be used for activating the Trait. Basically, it's like a free Trait. Sorta.

Since your Cat is an inventor, this item can be of the character's own creation.... It could be a miniature 3D printer. Or a scifi Bag of Holding ("It's bigger on the inside!"). Or a magic tophat ("Presto!"). Or anything else you might come up with!

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by cybersavant »

well, since we're not with a Time Lord - maybe at some time in the past, he associated with one, maybe even the Master - and learned a few things
things he shouldn't know/do, that could get the points for resourceful pockets

i'm going to play him as intensely absorbed/interested in any new tech he encounters - even older tech that could inspire new inventions
[ he probably isn't above steampunking stuff with limited resources - maybe that interferes with 'time rules' and he's not supposed to do that, leave stuff for others to find ]
gaming since 1980

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by TheMyth »

cybersavant wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:47 am well, since we're not with a Time Lord - maybe at some time in the past, he associated with one, maybe even the Master - and learned a few things
things he shouldn't know/do, that could get the points for resourceful pockets

i'm going to play him as intensely absorbed/interested in any new tech he encounters - even older tech that could inspire new inventions
[ he probably isn't above steampunking stuff with limited resources - maybe that interferes with 'time rules' and he's not supposed to do that, leave stuff for others to find ]
Full confession - I have a sinus infection and probably have a slight fever.....

But crazy thinking made my brain come up with this statement:

Dark Secret: The Master LIVES!

That'll pay for Resourceful Pockets.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rex »

TheMyth wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:49 pm Nope, no Doctor.

Unless Rex plans on creating a Time Lord, Time Agent, Tharil, or something else time-travelly, then I will provide an NPC to facilitate travel.
I would be willing to run a Tharil. I had forgotten about them until you mentioned them.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by TheMyth »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:25 am
TheMyth wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:49 pm Nope, no Doctor.

I would be willing to run a Tharil. I had forgotten about them until you mentioned them.
Cybersavant mentioned them first.

The version I have,adapted for this game is greatly de-powered. (No teleporting through time!)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Rex »

I will have to look at Time Agent then, I don't remember them so probably the newer shows or just my memory going.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by TheMyth »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:25 pm I will have to look at Time Agent then, I don't remember them so probably the newer shows or just my memory going.
The Time Agent? Jack Harkness is the primary example, although River Song's Vortex Manipulator comes from the 51st century Time Agency too.

Again, they are mostly hinted at than detailed. Anyone who travels through time to "fix something" qualifies.

But, as always..... There are excellent examples from other media:

Phineas Bogg from Voyagers!, one of my fave shows from the 80s.

Darien Lambert from Time Trax, a show from the 90s.

Frank Parker from Seven Days, also a show from the 90s.

Kyle Reese from Terminator, and the Terminator from Terminator II.

H.G. Wells in the 1979 film Time After Time.

Heck, even Jennie Logan in The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan! (How's that for obscure 70s tv movies!)

Oh! And Quantum Leap! Same idea, just different narrative explanations.

Return to “TheMyth's Wayfarers (Dr.Who RPG/Vortex)”