atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

House of Cards - PART 2 [in character]

#1 Post by atpollard »

[D.J. Dawson, Joe Black, Jim Daniels]
2:05 PM “District 0, Building 12” - Bar & Diner [12]

[NOTE: We will need to wait to wait on Hvalreki to learn if Herbie arrived with Joe and Jim, or will arrive a little late with Val.]

Joe and Jim arrived from one direction at the exact same time that D.J. arrived from the opposite direction. All three standing outside the door chuckled at the “punctuality” as they entered at exactly 2 PM. The bar seemed quieter as they took their usual seats … each was eager to share what they had discovered. Val appeared to be running a little late.

Joe opened things by making introductions between Jim and D.J. …

[NOTE: Val will walk in at 2:15 … so you three (or four) will get a few minutes before Val arrives - with Herbie. ]

[EDIT: updated Herbie status]
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: House of Cards - PART 2 [in character]

#2 Post by Leitz »

Main question is, what are the odds of Jim and DJ recognizing each other? Secondary question, just to confirm, Jim and Joe were able to fix the grav car for the Baroness, correct? Jim wouldn't want to leave a debt unpaid.

Sort of a future question, odds of Val and Jim recognizing each other?

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Eris »

"Sorry we couldn't get that fix done. I'll go back over with you later and finish it up." Joe tells Jim on the walk to the Bar & Diner.

Once there, Joe introduces DJ to Jim (and if Hubie comes along introduces Hubie as well). While we're waiting for Val to arrive, I'll order a pitcher of beer for the table.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by shaidar »

DJ enters the bar and sits, a little distracted. He shakes Jim's hand.

"DJ Dawson, ex-merchant."

The physicality of the hand-shake seems to bring him back into focus.

He snaps his fingers "I know you. Captain James Daniels of the Turquoise Daniels. We met during the Shogunate fiasco, I was part of the med-team that helped patch up your guys."
Last edited by shaidar on Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Leitz »

Jim

The almost done handshake turns into a man to man hug. Jim pulled DJ close, and then pounded his back. "I remember; blood everywhere, you yelling at me to leave you alone. I never had the chance to thank you! The Marines saved the day for us, and you kept them alive afterwards. I was terrified at how many we could had lost, and then astounded that so many made it home."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Eris »

Leitz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:12 pm Jim

The almost done handshake turns into a man to man hug. Jim pulled DJ close, and then pounded his back. "I remember; blood everywhere, you yelling at me to leave you alone. I never had the chance to thank you! The Marines saved the day for us, and you kept them alive afterwards. I was terrified at how many we could had lost, and then astounded that so many made it home."
This is happening while Joe is ordering the beer at the bar. He turns and sees the bear hug and cocks his head thinking, "A fight! No...not a fight.

'I'll carry the pitcher, Laura, you bring the mugs." and Joe walks back over to the table carrying the large pitcher himself, "Looks like you two didn't need an introduction after all."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Leitz »

Jim seemed happy as he released DJ. "This miscreant helped patch up a few dozen Marines after a particularly bloody conversation. The Marines won the battle and he made sure almost all of them went home. Much better than our expected results."

Given the enthusiasm, Sophie put her paws on DJ's lap and tried to lick his face.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by shaidar »

DJ

Joe can see that DJ looks a little surprised and uncomfortable with the hug, as DJ pats the navy man on the back and then steps back when he can.

"Well, it's all in the training, it sort of takes over, 'though I must admit I never expected to be helping out in that kind of situation."

He kneels and fusses Sophie, letting the dog lick his face "Well you're a friendly one, ain't ya." he looks up at Joe and Jim "I found out some very interesting information in the last few hours, both about the artic comms job and the silver opportunity."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by shaidar »

DJ

"Oh, and an opportunity to make a few thousand creds if we act quickly."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Eris »

shaidar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:22 pm DJ

"Oh, and an opportunity to make a few thousand creds if we act quickly."
"Great! Good job! I think Jim and I came up with a couple of good opportunities as well." Joe says as he puts the pitcher on the table and takes a seat, "Though, Jim and I need to finish a repair job on a grav vehicle before we do anything else. A deal's a deal."

Looking over at Jim Joe asks, "I think an hour of work will do it tops, yes?"

"We probably should make a list of the opportunities we've come up with so we can go over them, but let's wait until Val joins us so we don't have to go over them multiple times." Joe looks over at the menu above the counter and back at Laura as she sets down the mugs and asks, "Is the fish in the fish sandwich fresh today or frozen?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by shaidar »

DJ

"I've certainly worked up an appetite." he adds a beef slider and a side salad to the food order.

He looks over to Jim, "So, captain, what brings you to The Colony?"

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:36 pm DJ
He looks over to Jim, "So, captain, what brings you to The Colony?"
Jim hadn't taken a glass or ordered food. He met DJ's question with a grin. "I thought I'd travel the universe as a creditless transient for a while."

He laughed at himself, and then shrugged. "We did the right thing that day, though came at a tremendous cost. The Navy decided I was no longer in its best interest, and so the rank is 'former Captain'. Honestly, I have no idea what to do next, and no funds to do it."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2:15 PM “District 0, Building 12” - Bar & Diner [12]

#13 Post by atpollard »

Let's fast forward to 2:15 so Val and Herbie can join the group.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by TheMyth »

Val walks in, with young Herbie in tow after they park his cart safely outside.

"Hey, cuz!" Val says with a wave as she approaches the table. "Looks like we both went recruiting while we were job hunting. Hi, Joe. This is Herbie. Who are your new friends? Especially this little cutie!" Val will crouch to ruffle the chaser's fur.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Leitz »

Jim

"Hey Herbie, good to see you! Hello Miss-" Jim paused, and then lost his smile. He stood, and said quietly, "Hello, Valencia, it has been a while. How's the old gang?"

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by TheMyth »

Leitz wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:47 pm Jim

"Hey Herbie, good to see you! Hello Miss-" Jim paused, and then lost his smile. He stood, and said quietly, "Hello, Valencia, it has been a while. How's the old gang?"
Val looks up slowly, a fake smile on her face. Val looks the man over to see if she recognizes him, specifically to tell if she or DJ are in imminent danger. Unmodified roll [2d6]=9

Val's face lights with recognition, immediately relaxing a bit. "Long gone," she replies simply. "I have been thinking about your sister a lot recently. She brought your family great fortune since last we met," she will say with a wry smile.
Last edited by TheMyth on Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Eris »

TheMyth wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:19 pm
Leitz wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:47 pm Jim

Val looks up slowly, a fake smile on her face. Val looks the man over to see if she recognizes him, specifically to tell if she or DJ are in imminent danger. Unmodified roll [2d6]=9

Val's face lights with recognition, immediately relaxing a bit. "Long gone," she replies simply. "I have been thinking about your sister a lot recently. She brought your family great fortune since last we met," she will say with a wry smile.
Joe will look back and forth between Jim and Val, thinking, "So! They all know each other. Discredited former Navy Captain from a front line family, DJ from a formerly powerful, but now reviled family, and Val his cousin somewhere up there, too. I don't know the family Meridian, I don't think? Know nothing about Herbie other than he's got trade in his bones and is known to the higher orders. Hum! This is certainly 'high corn' for me. I might could have used some contacts like these a few years ago, but now it looks like everybody is on the outside looking in...about like me."

Out loud Joe will say with a smile, "We ran into Herbie and his cart earlier. He was too busy to stop and talk much though. Herbie, you and Val come join us. Order something to eat, I'm paying this time."

Once Herbie sits Joe asks, "Did you get all that rope you had sold? Mind if I ask if you made a good profit?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Leitz »

Jim

For a long time Jim searched Val's face for an answer that he could not seem to find. Well past the conversation points made, he took a breath and forced a smile. "She has done well enough that even Father is glad I left. I had neither head nor heart it."

Still facing Val, he spoke softly. "I stayed with her through weeks of detox. She said a lot of things, and I never knew what to believe. The only person she didn't curse to eternal damnation was you. I've carried a lot of hatred for a long time; was I wrong?"

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by TheMyth »

Leitz wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:45 pm Jim

For a long time Jim searched Val's face for an answer that he could not seem to find. Well past the conversation points made, he took a breath and forced a smile. "She has done well enough that even Father is glad I left. I had neither head nor heart it."

Still facing Val, he spoke softly. "I stayed with her through weeks of detox. She said a lot of things, and I never knew what to believe. The only person she didn't curse to eternal damnation was you. I've carried a lot of hatred for a long time; was I wrong?"
Val laughs inappropriately. "Who do you think contacted you, dumbass? She was in no shape to. She needed out. And she wasn't going on her own." Val smirks, "Ask my cousin, DJ...I've always had a knack for getting things done. It's why those rich punks recruited me to begin with. And it's why I am still alive and they aren't."

Val frowns then as she looks around at the other guys at the table. Then, with a crooked smile, "So now you all know a little something about Val. And I need a drink."

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by Hvalreki »

Eris wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:48 pm
Out loud Joe will say with a smile, "We ran into Herbie and his cart earlier. He was too busy to stop and talk much though. Herbie, you and Val come join us. Order something to eat, I'm paying this time."

Once Herbie sits Joe asks, "Did you get all that rope you had sold? Mind if I ask if you made a good profit?"
"Oh, hi again Joe! I was hustling rope and sold three tonnes out of four! But then I ran into this fella who's filters had run out and Val and I took him to the clinic. She offered me lunch to help move some ore so that's why we're here."

Herbie stage whispers, "she's got 60 tonnes to move, we're going to need a bigger cart!"

He sees Gloria moving between the tables and waves her over. "Hi Gloria! I'm back from the Army and these nice folks are buying me lunch! I'll take the usual."

The usual:

3 Beef sliders, a grilled cheese sandwich, chicken bites, fried pickles, French fries, ketchup and unsweetened Ice Tea followed by a bowl of vanilla ice cream with sprinkles

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”