Arngeir

Question two:

"What is the most important thing I should know about you?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Back to the Outpost

#102 Post by Rex »

I need to be repaired in the form of a Keltan.

A Keltan is a type of off-hand parrying dagger used on Harn.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by sulldawga »

Rex wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:56 pm I need to be repaired in the form of a Keltan.

Is the meaning of this obvious to anyone who lives in Harn? Because I don't get it. Is it important that it be repaired or that it be considered a Keltan when it's being repaired?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Rex »

The blade is the only thing you have, the hilt, pommel etc are all missing. So, it is unusable in its current form but the blade still holds its enchantment. If you are asking about the word Keltan, it is just a made up Harn word for a parrying dagger. I will have to dig around in the books and see if I can find a picture.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Marullus »

"We have four things to accomplish," says Lharzin. "We need to:
* Explore this town and estimate what is required to put it back into use
* Send word to King Hazmadul so he can send the workmen to start doing so
* Speak to the human king to ensure he won't dispute this claim
* Explore the additional sites in this area, like the tower foundations

...I am concerned that knowing too much before we talk to the human king puts us in the position to lie to him about what we know. Right now, it is known that you have re-established this Khudzul outpost. We are expanding the claim to the town, meeting my king's desire to have a place that travelling Khudzul can use safely as a waystation and so I can offer the human king assurance that this will result in greater trade for his kingdom with Azadmere.

If we explore the tower and find more wonders of past dwarven history, this could complicate our ability to establish our claim. I suggest we purposely wait - we do not know anything now, and it is better to find out more after the deal is struck."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Marullus »

Rex wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:56 pm I need to be repaired in the form of a Keltan.

Is one of the NPCs a better smith tham Lharzin?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#107 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Algrim "I'm good with stayin round ere and searchin more of tha area. Er I can always go with whoe'er is seein King Hazmadul."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by gurusql »

Beryl

Beryl has a confused look on his face, "Lharzin you are saying that you would rather negotiate from a position of ignorance than from a position that you know to much? Perhaps it is just my training as a cave scout that tells me that knowledge is survival. I respect your insight, but this time I do not appear to be wise enough to understand it. Can you please clarify to otherwise will need to vote to head to the tower."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Rex »

Marullus wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:15 pm

Is one of the NPCs a better smith tham Lharzin?
Eitri is the best. He is the third son of the finest Metalcrafter in the known world. Now an outcast he rarely utilizes his Metalcraft (ML 95) or Weaponcraft (ML 90) skills but is still very capable. He has been overseeing the restoration of the Outpost.

Otherwise it is still a pretty common skill in the group. In order of skill.

Volin, 54
Lharzin, 48
Algrim, 36
Beryl, 34
Ingram, 28

Unsurprisingly the Khuzdul (dwarves) all have it and are better than the lone human with it.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by shaidar »

Arngier

"Negotiation is bit like battle, but not exciting like battle, you need to know as much as you can when you make and execute plan."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Marullus »

Lharzin blushes, conceding to the others. "I... just don't like to lie."
Eitri is the best. He is the third son of the finest Metalcrafter in the known world.
Nice!

Knowing his family and father, Lharzin asks Eitri if he will consider restoring the blade to be a Keltan. "There's a small furnace and tools in my wagon if you need more than remains here," she says, the pauses. "There are many expectations based on our fathers... but we have our own names and our own worth. Let this be a work of your own."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by sulldawga »

Marullus wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:14 pm "We have four things to accomplish," says Lharzin. "We need to:
* Explore this town and estimate what is required to put it back into use
* Send word to King Hazmadul so he can send the workmen to start doing so
* Speak to the human king to ensure he won't dispute this claim
* Explore the additional sites in this area, like the tower foundations

...I am concerned that knowing too much before we talk to the human king puts us in the position to lie to him about what we know. Right now, it is known that you have re-established this Khudzul outpost. We are expanding the claim to the town, meeting my king's desire to have a place that travelling Khudzul can use safely as a waystation and so I can offer the human king assurance that this will result in greater trade for his kingdom with Azadmere.

If we explore the tower and find more wonders of past dwarven history, this could complicate our ability to establish our claim. I suggest we purposely wait - we do not know anything now, and it is better to find out more after the deal is struck."
Ingram says, We may want to sound out the King a little more before the dwarves show up to start working. We don't want to offend anyone.

In any event, I don't know that there's much of a rush to explore either of these sites. I favor the tower mainly because it was my discovery and it has piqued my curiosity.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Rex »

Eitri

"No forge here, just 2 fire places. Would be near impossible to do it justice with those. But if you have a a small furnace and tools I will look them over and see what we can do. I will most likely have to head back to Burzyn to get some good quality steel if at all possible. I will examine the blade if you don't mind and see what I can come up with."

Eitri's suggestion on the last question is the makers name. Not as it gives you anything special but among the Khuzdul knowing the maker of something is important.

Good role play going right now. I will move it along once it looks like you have figured out your next action action. Explore village, tower or something else.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Marullus »

It looks like Explore the Tower. Lharzin conceded when she stood alone.

As a player, I agree. I want some fun adventuring. (We have spent two RL months working iteratively through the 48 hours since we met in Chibysa.) IC, we were given the talk-to-nobility task, but the PCs who really cared about that are not here right now. We probablyjave an IC week or two to do fun stuff before we really need to send a pigeon...

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#115 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Murgar

Murgar is very happy with their offer to mind the goats. He does warn them about Mulkis the black & white billy kid as he's a stinker.

He'll throw in his copper piece with the discussion about what's next. "I don't care, tower or village. I'd say lets just get on with what we need to do here, and not worry about the lords and their wishes. No ones here, but us, and our position is much stronger once we've established a community than asking to do it up front. If any want to beg from those they place above themselves let them, but we don't need to let that interrupt our plans.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by shaidar »

Arngeir

Question 3:

"Who was your maker?"

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#117 Post by GreyWolfVT »

mommy and daddy :P

Algrim currently just waits to see what answers are found.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Rex »

shaidar wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:50 am Arngeir

Question 3:

"Who was your maker?"
Durin Mazrabul, his mark was removed with magic by the second to last owner.

The dwarves in the group would know that removal of a makers Mark is a crime among their kind. There would be no legitimate reason for it. Some items (including weapons) intended for sale to humans might not be marked, but never would a mark once placed be removed. Something enchanted would be no ordinary item either, almost certainly marked, even if intended for sale (at a ludicrous price). Note that the return of "Lost Treasures" to Azadmere pays very well as they place very high value on the masterworks of their forefathers.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Rex »

Everyone gathers the next morning and begins the short journey to the ruined tower (?) that was discovered by Algrim and Ingram.

Eitri, Turnip, and Volin remain behind to tend the Outpost and animals.

Are you bringing any beasts of burden or going a foot?

As everyone approaches the ruin Algrim and Ingram are explaining what they have found just ahead.

Beryl notes that the ruin is along a ridge, effectively a high point overlooking a vale with a small stream running through it.

Algrim, Arngeir, and Beryl all note an odd shaped hill on the far side of the vale, perhaps a quarter league away (about a km give or take).

Ingram thinks he hears some singing coming from down in the vale, but it only lasts a couple of seconds and he is unsure if he imagined it or not, or exactly where it came form.

Lharzin suddenly feels something within her awaken. A feeling of calm and tranquility down in the vale. Passive Sensitivity triggered, your Sensitivity improves to ML 18 (normally this would be a Skill Improvement roll but due to your current ML being the same as your SB you can't fail).

Murgar, the Ivinian seer suddenly falls to his knees and starts to babble incomprehensibly. He stops after a long minute or so and looks up, spittle spraying from his mouth. "We are near a holy place of the Spirit of the Mist, there is peace and danger here, tread carefully." Passive Prescience triggered, make a Skill Improvement roll for Prescience (1d100+17, 35+ increase ML by 1).

The Spirit of the Mist is another name for Siem, he is worshiped indirectly by the Elves through Sweldre and the Dwarves through Sereniel. The Dwarves would all know that a Holy Place to Siem is always a Taur-Im-Aina, a place where the fabric between worlds is thin. A place where one can easily enter and end up somewhere else entirely, often somewhere else is in another world altogether.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#120 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Murgar

Murgar lets the premonition overwhelm him, but he concentrates on maximizing the information and experience.

Skill Improvement Roll: [1d100]=76+17 = 93

Return to “Rex's HarnWorld Campaign (HarnMaster Sandbox)”