Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [002] A Temple and a Tomb

#21 Post by Marullus »

Rex wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:40 am Ulfgar

"Thanks Willow."
He drinks down the tisane. "It doesn't taste very good, I hope it works."
For tracking purposes, Ulfgar is immune to surprise for 10 rounds, so I guess one round longer than the lantern.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Rex »

Very handy for the guy in front. Thanks.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by shaidar »

Wendel

"I'll watch the figures and try and give what warning I can."

Not a particularly devout follower of Ord, the wizard tries think if there is a common phrase that worshippers use during services that might be used as a trigger somewhere.

Fergus

"Those things give me the creeps, let's not hang around too long."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

Naugrim looks around at the chair-sitting spectres, his knuckles whitening as his grip tightens on his scriptorum.

"Ord plays too loosely with the rules," the dwarf says solemnly. "These spectres shouldn't remain here."

axis57
Strider
Strider

#25 Post by axis57 »

Anybody know how to fight ghosts in case these ghouls take exception to our entering the tomb?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Marullus »

"Whatever other oddity may be in a temple of Ord, these spectres themselves are affront to the Covenant," he taps the tome he has carried under one arm, "They may flee when confronted with the Law, but here there's nowhere to run. I can also bless weapons for a limited time, so that they should bring even the incorporeal to justice."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"No idea how to fight them."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Eris »

Need a clarification, does Ulfgar follow through on the following?

"Time to act I think. How about I try to open the inner door and we see what happens? I suspect those specters are going to act, but who knows."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

...and does he want his weaponblessedfirst, knowingit only lasts fiverounds and we waste at least one withthedoor?

axis57
Strider
Strider

#30 Post by axis57 »

Orram inspects the door carefully to ensure whoever opens it isn't going to get a faceful of trap.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"Naugrim, I will take the blessing just before trying to touch the door."

Once Orram gives him the all clear signal Ulfgar will try to open the door.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by Eris »

Everyone
Crawling Turn 3 (3/10 torch)

After Orram checks for traps and doesn't find any. Ulfgar steps up to the inner doors and reaches toward the handles...as he does a booming voice fills the antechamber!

"Who is the only god of magic, the first of gods, the most powerful?" echoes in your minds, was it spoken or did it appear in your heads you can't say, but this is a strong and powerful command requiring an answer.

Naugrim and Willow know the answer is ORD! The rest of you can guess the answer is Ord.

Again echoing through your heads, "Forsaking all other gods, speak the litany of your service!"

Wendel's Spoiler
Wendel knows, doesn't need to roll. He doesn't get his magic from Ord, he gets it from study, but as a magic user Wendel does recognize Ord as the god of magic and all things magical. If you worshiped a god, it would be Ord. As such, Wendel has heard the Litany of Service many times and even said it himself..."Ord, oh wise and powerful god of all the currents of life and time, I renounce all other gods as I lift you up with glory. Have mercy upon me, your miserable follower, giving me a taste of your mighty wisdom and power this day."
Naugrim's Spoiler:
Having studied the orders of service for all the gods, Naugrim is familiar with Ord's Litany of Service. You have Advantage to know the Litany perfectly. Even if he fails Naugrim knows it includes renouncing service to all other gods and naming Ord as the King of gods, praising him, and asking him for a taste of his wisdom. He's not sure he can get the exact words right, though, and he isn't sure if that matters as long as the sentiment is there. Renouncing all other gods, though, can he do that?
Everyone: 15+ Int Check to know Ord's Litany of Service

Wendel, who has been watching the specters sees the four, each at one corner, rise from their seats and bring their longswords up into a guard position. They appear more solid and green light flickers where their eyes would be as the air around them begins to glow green as well.

Those focused on the door see the two specters seated to either side of the doors rise from their seats and hold their longswords across the doors as a bar. They, too, appear suddenly much more solid! Green light flickers in their eye sockets and there is a green glow outlining their bodies.

What do you do?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Marullus »

Naugrim inhales deeply and touches Ulfgar's weapon. "Have I told you of Fezzig the Ghost Slayer? I think we're about to eclipse his deeds..." He prays a moment over the weapon, trying to summon Madeera's blessings in this temple to Ord...
Holy Weapon [1d20+2]=3+2=5

Int [1d20]=3[1d20]=20
Naugrim knows exactly what the Voice wishes of him. He remains silent.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"Ord."

Int Check [1d20+1]=17+1=18

Ulfagr knows Ord's Litany of Service, he performs it.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by shaidar »

Wendel

The wizard repeats the litany of Ord aloud.

Fergus

Int check vs 15+: [1d20+1]=17+1=18

The warrior remembers that the wizard from his old mercenary company was a devout follower of Ord, and use to repeat the service very loudly every morning, and in their last deployment his tent was right next to his for weeks.

He says "Ord" when prompted and repeats the litany.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Marullus »

Willow also says "Ord," as she hears the others, having always kind of liked him among the dieties. She mumbles along, trying to copy Wendel's litany.
Int [1d20-1]=6-1=5

axis57
Strider
Strider

#37 Post by axis57 »

Ord

Orram utters the name with as much confidence as he can muster while looking to the rest of his compatriots to see their demeanor.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by Eris »

Everyone, except Naugrim (would you really expect him to swear fealty to Ord?) proclaims Ord and...at least...attempts the Litany of Service. It must have been good enough because the specters drift back to their seats as they become less solid and your way to the inner doors are no longer blocked.

The doors swing open out toward you, but they open easily as you pull them and you step into a wide and long nave with 8 pews arrainged to either side of a wide asile leading up to an altar at the front. There is light in here coming from stained glass windows in the ceiling and behind the altar near the ceiling.

Once you file through the doors you see that this room has been wreaked! There is a big hole in the floor where it looks like stones were blown up from below leaving a gaping hole leading down. There are piles of bones, bits of cloth and blacken weapons lying scattered on the floor amid scorch marks. The pews and tapestries up on the walls have been singed and show streaks of black. There is a faint scent of sulfur and brimstone in the air...faint, but unmistakable. At the front of the room where the piles of bones are much more prevalent you see they are gathered around the large stone altar there. From the back of the nave, you can tell the altar is not quite right, it looks like half of it is leaning like it is broken, but you can't be sure from here.

What do you do now?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Ulfgar advances slowly and cautiously. Moving towards the open hole, checking for anything of note until he can see down the hole.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by shaidar »

Fergus enters the room behind Ulfgar

He switches to his bow and continues to move up behind Ulfgar, on the left side of the aisle.

Wendel

The wizard moves into the room slowly, attempting to hold his spell active.

Spellcasting lvl 1 (vs 11): [1d20+3]=10+3=13

Return to “Shadows in the Dark (Shadowdark)”