[002] A Temple and a Tomb

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [002] A Temple and a Tomb

#81 Post by Eris »

Marullus wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:51 pm "Hmmmm... Johnswort and bezor..." Willow murmurs to herself, rummaging through her pouches to assemble a curative. She huffs in frustration, giving up.
Willow thinks a seconds and tries making a Salve. It works! It's not much, but a little curing is better than none, and she can try making more over the next minutes, too!

OOC: Try Salve again next turn: roll twice, that's so nice! :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by Eris »

Naugrim shrugs non-committally in response, at a rare loss for words.
He is going to have to get a lot Closer if he wants to really examine the Altar. He does have an Advantage in this sort of thing, so if he goes right up to it, maybe he will be able to tell you more about it.
OOC: Even if he fails the check with Advantage, as long as it isn't a Critical Failure, Naugrim will learn something he can relate to the group.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Eris »

shaidar wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:49 pm Wendel

"Who's wounded?...Let me take a look at you and see what I can do."
Chirurgeon background: Roll twice take highest, 1d20+INT against DC12+ to heal the number of points you succeed by, once per person and only once per turn.

OOC: Is that too much?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

"I am wounded if anyone can take a look."

9 of 13 hp

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by shaidar »

Wendel

Ulfgar healing:

Bind Wounds (DC12+, adv, 1hp+): [1d20+3]=9+3=12;[1d20+3]=12+3=15

3pts (I believe)

I'm just going to roll for all injured, assuming they will want help:

Naugrim:
Bind Wounds (DC12+, adv, 1hp+): [1d20+3]=15+3=18;[1d20+3]=7+3=10
5 points

Orram:
Bind Wounds (DC12+, adv, 1hp+): [1d20+3]=5+3=8;[1d20+3]=19+3=22
10 points.

Black Wolf:
Bind Wounds (DC12+, adv, 1hp+): [1d20+3]=18+3=21;[1d20+3]=10+3=13
9 points

Sorry Rex, you got the worst roll but still got some healing. I had some very good rolls there. Makes me wonder if it should be something like heals the number you rolled above 11, halved, round up. So a minimal success of 12 gives 1hp, a 20 would give 9/2=5.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Marullus »

shaidar wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:16 am Sorry Rex, you got the worst roll but still got some healing. I had some very good rolls there. Makes me wonder if it should be something like heals the number you rolled above 11, halved, round up. So a minimal success of 12 gives 1hp, a 20 would give 9/2=5.
That sounds very fair. (It should be less than 1d6+1.) The Ranger's core class ability does 1hp on DC 12 or 1d6+1 on a DC 15 with no advantage and loses it on a failure. The priest does 1d6+1 on DC 11, needs a Talent to get advantage, and loses it on failure. Does the Backround house rule give the healing ability AND advantage?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Rex »

Marullus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:30 pm
shaidar wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:16 am Sorry Rex, you got the worst roll but still got some healing. I had some very good rolls there. Makes me wonder if it should be something like heals the number you rolled above 11, halved, round up. So a minimal success of 12 gives 1hp, a 20 would give 9/2=5.
That sounds very fair. (It should be less than 1d6+1.) The Ranger's core class ability does 1hp on DC 12 or 1d6+1 on a DC 15 with no advantage and loses it on a failure. The priest does 1d6+1 on DC 11, needs a Talent to get advantage, and loses it on failure. Does the Backround house rule give the healing ability AND advantage?
Agreed, or if you don't mind an extra roll just have any success be 1d3 or 1d4 or whatever you decide on.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by Eris »

Somehow I lost my reply about this, so....

Wendel's Bind Wounds numbers really do look too high to me. They put shade on Naugrim's Cure Wounds or Willow's Potions/Salves and that shouldn't be the case. So, let's tone them down.

I like Rex's idea of just rolling 1d3 or 1d4 on a successful Bind Wounds. Let's say 1d4 in future, we'll leave the numbers generated alone this time.

There is also a time constraint here. I'm going to say, Bind Wounds takes a full Crawling Turn per use. That makes it appropriate for out of combat situations, but can only be used in combat to stabilize a dying PC. This means 4 turns passed while Wendel was doing all his Binding ( I just rolled for Random Encounters and you got lucky :) ), but you're now on your 9/10 Crawling Turn with this torch.

Cure Wounds, Healing Touch p. 194 (which should be a feature like Turn Undead, IMO), and the use of Potions/Salves are instantaneous IN Combat spells that can be used (if you make your rolls) several times in the time it takes for one Crawling round to take place.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by shaidar »

Fergus

While Wendel is busy binding wounds, Fergus takes a look around the room to ensure no more surprises. He starts by checking out the hole in the SW corner.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Marullus »

(Looks like Orram and Naugrim each need 2hp after the doctor treatments.)

Salve (DC 12) [1d20+2]=4+2=6[1d20+2]=12+2=14
Salve (DC 12) [1d20+2]=14+2=16[1d20+2]=8+2=10
Salve (DC 12) [1d20+2]=19+2=21[1d20+2]=7+2=9

Willow follows after the Chiurgeon, offering advice and herbal balms with which to treat his bandages.

(That should bring everyoneto full HP and she didn't lose it, yet.)

Naugrim approaches the altar carefully, trying to discern the distance at which the magical aura feels strongest. He then studies the whole thing more closely to find out what is going on here. Who burst up from below the floor into a temple of the God of Magic? Why is it desicrated?

Study Altar... closer. [1d20+2]=14+2=16[1d20+2]=3+2=5 extra die [1d20]=6

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by Eris »

Crawling -- Everyone
Torch 10/10

After all the time taken with the healing and looking around, everyone is back to full health and more rested, but you've burned your torch down to the last light. When it goes out, there will be some light in here from the stain-glass windows near the ceiling on the sides of the Nave and behind the Altar, but it will be a dim light.

Fergus takes a look around the room to ensure no more surprises. He starts by checking out the hole in the SW corner. This hole was made by something, or someone, coming up from below. He can see well enough to tell it goes down 10 or more feet to a rough looking tunnel leading off to the west.

Naugrim approaches the altar carefully, trying to discern the distance at which the magical aura feels strongest and finds it is strongest right at the Altar itself. No, it is strongest behind the Altar, down that crack in the floor leading down to who knows where.

He then studies the whole thing more closely to find out what is going on here. Who burst up from below the floor into a temple of the God of Magic? Why is it desicrated?

Naugrim reads the Runes that have be scrawled on the Altar...Shune! So, acolytes and/or priests of Shune did the desecration of the Altar. The Shunic Runes are for some sort of Ritual Magic that should have done a lot more than desecrate this Temple, likely consecrated it to Shune. It looks like that didn't work...as something made all those followers of Shune dead and then undead when they tried it.

It's a bit harder, but Naugrim can read the Runes that were originally there, too. Yes, this is an Altar to Ord. From the Runes, it is clear that something was meant to be sacrificed here on the Altar, from the discoloration in the concave top and the words of the Runes it looks like whatever was sacrificed was burned.

He didn't think the followers of Ord actually did sacrifices, but then the various Sects do have Secret Rituals. Some sort of sacrifice would qualify as something the followers of Ord would probably want to keep secret, along with ritual handshakes and mystical symbiology.

There's more to it, though, there must have been a trap built into the Altar so when the Shunites came calling it bit them. Yes, there it is in the original Runes! The concave surface was the trap the Shunites must have missed it. When they tried to use it in their Ritual it backfired on them.

Naugrim moves to the crack in the floor. It doesn't look like something came up, it looks like it was just cracked when the Altar was shifted. Wait! That's why there's a crack here, it's a trap door! Getting down low and looking closely he sees the catch to release it. Glancing up at the Altar from below he sees a pair of hinges. The lid of this Altar must lift up...

As Naugrim sees the hinges and starts to look for a way to lift the Altar top the torch sputters and goes out. The room isn't completely dark, but it is dim now and must more spooky than before in the Nave and on the Dias. The Alcoves off the Nave are completely in shadow and the door to the eastern side of the Dias can hardly be made out.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Ulgar lights his torch. "This is my last torch, does anyone else have any?"

Sheet updated, no more torches. Note for encumbrance purposes his equipment is under notes not inventory.

OOC: Yeah, I dug around on the sheet and found it. :) Most everyone else has a torch or two, Black Wolf has 5. Wendel has a lantern with 3 flasks of oil, too. You're not in danger of running out for a while.

Oh, axis57, you haven't got any gear listed. I know the Goblins probably took most of it, but you can have your Thieves Tools, some rations, rope and a couple of torches, if you want them.

secret roll
The room lights back up making everything much more visible. Black Wolf is over next to the eastern Alcove off the Nave holding a tattered tapestry back, "Nothing in here."
In the added light, Naugrim sees what look like a pair of buttons on the back side of the Altar. They are embedded in the Runes and designs, but they appear to be buttons that can be depressed.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Marullus »

"I have one more," replies Naugrim.

"...and I have two, if someoneelse can carry them so i can use my bow." adds Willow.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Rex »

Ulfagr

"I can carry them."

He takes her torches.

Sheet updated. Still has 2 open slots.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by shaidar »

Fergus

"I have two torches."

Wendel

"I have a lantern and three flasks of oil."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by Eris »

Black Wolf grunts and waves one of his arms toward the back on his back, "I got a bundle of 'em...torches, I mean, um, 5 or 6. We ain't running out anytime soon."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Marullus »

Naugrim, ever wordy, runs a stream of consciousness dialog as he examines the altar. (Assume he shared everything.) He pauses as he finds two buttons instead of one. "This is what they failed to find...", he concludes officiously. He tries to lift the altar top, pressing what he thinks is the right button...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Ulfgar moves over to back up Naugrim, just in case.

"Be careful with that."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by shaidar »

Fergus

"I guess they came in this way." he gestures to the big hole, "What have you found?". He makes his way over to the Altar.

Wendel

The wizard follows behind Ulfar to see what Naugrim is up to.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#100 Post by Eris »

Naugrim lifts with the button on the left side pressed and the lid starts to rise, but only on that side. The right side of the altar top doesn't, yet, release, but this is obvious! Naugrim presses both buttons and the altar top lifts up and back revealing a cavity inside.

Dark blue vestments with what looks like gold stitching lie folded atop some other items inside the Altar.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Shadows in the Dark (Shadowdark)”