[Interest Check] The Forbidden Caverns Of Archaia - B/X With Adv LL

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

[Interest Check] The Forbidden Caverns Of Archaia - B/X With Adv LL

#1 Post by grokkngrognard »

Another Greg Gillespie adventure-slash-mega dungeon using a house ruled B/X mashed with Advanced Labyrinth Lord created by Gillespie himself. Play the system used to run the original Barrowmaze, Dwarrowdeep, and Highfell. The rules are familiar to anyone who has played B/X and DnD 1e. Character generation is the same. Advanced LL no art pdf is available for free. I’ve been busy behind the scenes getting things organized to post on supporting sub-threads.

Looking for a handful of players who can get along, play well, and commit to playing a long, long campaign. If it comes down to just one player till things get rolling, that’s cool with me and I’ll modify things (scale down opponents, add NPC characters) till the roster builds up. I want to see this work.

C’mon, fellow Grogs, you know you’ve got room for one more game.
Last edited by grokkngrognard on Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

Re: [Interest Check] The Forbidden Caverns Of Archaia - B/X With Adv LL

#2 Post by TheMyth »

I'm up for it.

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#3 Post by grokkngrognard »

Thank you for your interest, TheMyth!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

grokkngrognard wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:57 am Another Greg Gillespie adventure-slash-mega dungeon using a house ruled B/X mashed with Advanced Labyrinth Lord created by Gillespie himself.
This is the rulebook you're referring to, correct?

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by grokkngrognard »

Yes.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#6 Post by Scott308 »

Is this a race as class system?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by grokkngrognard »

No. Most boilerplate classes typical of 1e are listed. Races have certain classes/stat requirements/level caps. A new race unique to the setting, cyclopsmen, is available as well.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

Ah, so the actual rules being used are these (and the LL AEC are just a close substitute):

$30 for a PDF is steep!

Here is the project trailer on YouTube: Dragonslayer RPG Release Trailer (1:34)

There's a really good review by Vo on the Sampler page, which I'll just copy here to save people from needing to switch sites:

User: Vo (Rating: 4/5)
Date: November 16, 2023

Just finished reading through the Dragonslayer sample. This looks to be a B/X retroclone with ADnD influences, not too dissimilar to Advanced Labyrinth Lord and OSE Advanced.

Some critiques:

-The Game Master is called Maze Controller, which just doesn't roll off the tongue as well. I don't foresee anyone in the hobby suddenly switching from DM or GM to... MC. Sounds like Master of Ceremonies for a party or something. Should just stick with Game Master.

-Race and Class are separate. I prefer race-as-class, personally, for that traditional D&D Old School low fantasy feel from the red boxed sets. However, each race is restricted to certain classes and certain level caps in those classes. This appears to be a sort-of in between for race-as-class.

-The following classes appear to be in the game: Cleric, Fighter, Magic-User, Thief, Assassin, Ranger, Paladin. (And possibly some kind of Western Monk, per interviews on YouTube). I hope that the Ranger, Assassin, and Paladin have more interesting mechanics and concepts than in other similar games. In the past, these classes have felt like "Fighter but better with bows," "Thief but deadlier," or "Cleric but with a two-handed sword." Maybe it would make more sense to have the traditional 4 classes be the main archetypes and have options or abilities under each archetype to flesh out these others like "sub classes?" I don't know the right answer, but sometimes classes are so similar to others that it just feels like it bloats the game. A Fighter could be flavored as a bunch of different things like: Barbarian, Soldier, Beast Master, Cavalier, Duelist, etc. with just a couple different unique abilities.

-As another commenter here pointed out, the Cyclopsman has -1 to three different attributes, but no positives... Why would anyone choose this race? I have to believe that this is an error and is missing a +1 or +2 to the Strength or Constitution abilities.

-The Elf and Halfling races have a weapon restriction that says they cannot wield two-handed weapons. I would just specify "two-handed melee weapons," to avoid confusion. The Gnome race, though, specifies that they cannot use "great or two-handed weapons." Does this mean they cannot wield a "Greatbow?" And since Halflings don't have the "great weapon" restriction. Does this mean they actually can wield greatbows? Why would a greatbow be too big for a Gnome but not a Halfling?

-The racial languages sections are kind of inconsistent. For example, the Dwarf automatically knows Dwarven, and can choose another language, like Common, Gnome, Goblin, etc. Does this mean we have to roleplay games where our characters have communication issues because they don't all automatically know common? Why not have each race know Common + their racial language + additional languages per their INT score? That's what it says for the Elf race already. When I look at the Gnome race, it says that Gnomes automatically start with Gnomish, and "may select dwarf, halfling, orc, goblin, or kobold, if their intelligence modifier allows." Why isn't Common listed here? Can Gnomes not learn Common? Why is it listed for the Dwarf but not for the Gnome? These are the kinds of inconsistencies I'm talking about.

Things I like:

-The roleplay guides are great. I've always enjoyed characters that embrace the fantasy genre stereotypes. While there's always room for growth and change, the classic racial differences become muddied and pointless when everyone is just a human wearing a [insert fantasy race] skin-suit. The roleplay guides help to counter that trend.

-I have watched some YouTube interviews with Dr. Gillespie and he has mentioned how awesome the artwork is going to be. I am very excited for this. Nothing brings a TTRPG book down quicker than bad artwork, even if the game mechanics themselves have some good ideas. A big trend in the industry lately has been to make the artwork either too realistic, colorful, cheerful, or cartoonish. I miss the old school ink and line art. And I miss 1980's charm of classic fantasy box art styles of Jeff Easley, Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, etc. Or even the haunting paintings of Brom. It sounds like this product will fully embrace these old school art forms!

Anyways, I think this is shaping up to be a great game and I can't wait to see more. My critiques are honestly just little nitpicks, and I'm aware this is just a rough-draft/preview and not representative of the final product.

-- Project --
-- DM --

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by gurusql »

I will be willing to give it a shot

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

I will say, I do like the character sheet:

Dragonslayer Character Sheet.pdf
(1000.86 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

I am only to the 'Dragonslayer: Six Tenets' section (which is one of the first), and I'm a big fan -- so far.
Who's in Control wrote:The key to success is to keep dice out of the hands of the Maze Controller. If you choose to engage in combat, it is the Maze Controller’s job (playing the monsters) to kill you.
Emphasis mine. :lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

I just completed a quick skimming of the sampler and the only thing I'm not a fan of are Cyclopsmen as a race.

I will cast my hat into the proverbial ring with a... solid maybe. I'm happy to begin on a waitlist to get a feel for how the game will actually play before formally committing.

Okay, I'm officially in if you'll have me. Again, ask OGRE MAGE if taking me on as a player is worth it before formally accepting my candidacy. :lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#13 Post by grokkngrognard »

I think the Cyclopsmen are there because they might be integral to the setting itself. They have a language and a culture that is reflected in Gillespie's other works, each which have ties to each other. TBH, I don't care that much about them either but it's a flavor that might have to be acquired. I'm only going to allow a limit of one per party anyway. I might even throw in a crit table where if you roll double crits (nat 20s), roll the table for losing a hand, foot, an eye. So imagine an unlucky Cyclopsman losing his eye!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

Any game that includes this is alright in my book. :lol:
Attachments
Official Death Certificate.jpg
Official Death Certificate.jpg (213.96 KiB) Viewed 258 times
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Sheet looks nice, the game sounds decent. If I can get by without the rules I am in. May try running the stupid one eyed dude if I roll my usual garbage stats.

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by grokkngrognard »

I’ve got four names interested, enough to ask the mods for a game thread. Stayed tuned…

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

dmw71 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:36 am Okay, I'm officially in if you'll have me. Again, ask OGRE MAGE if taking me on as a player is worth it before formally accepting my candidacy. :lol:
I’m glad you mentioned it. (so I didn’t have to) :lol: :lol: :lol:

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:12 am
dmw71 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:36 am Okay, I'm officially in if you'll have me. Again, ask OGRE MAGE if taking me on as a player is worth it before formally accepting my candidacy. :lol:
I’m glad you mentioned it. (so I didn’t have to) :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by grokkngrognard »

TheMyth
gurusql
dmw71
Rex

You have been added to the thread here viewforum.php?f=1522

This thread will remain open as I'm open to anyone who wants to play.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Edeldhur »

I am throwing my hat in the ring! Let me know if there is a spot left grokkngrognard ;)

Return to “Looking for players or games”