Recruitment/Interest Check - Ars Magica

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Recruitment/Interest Check - Ars Magica

#1 Post by Keehnelf »

Hey all,

Newly returned, I have some interest and capacity in trying to run a modestly paced game with a small roster of players (like 2-3) and my heart is aching for some Ars Magica 5th edition, with the new definitive edition coming out soon.

Is anyone interested in being in the loop on that? The modest pace and mainly story focus would allow newbies to work just as well as Ars Magica veterans, since the rules would unfold naturally as the game progressed.

Gimme a shout here or via PM if it sounds interesting to you. I have a more detailed campaign/setting pitch in hand but don't want to overload this post so I'll save it for them as is intrested.

Ciao

KE

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Recruitment/Interest Check - Ars Magica

#2 Post by Keehnelf »

I've had a couple pings but have room for one more player if anyone has interest but isn't sure--I think both players I'm talking to are brand new or fairly new to AM, so don't be afeared if you're a newbie to it. Also, the post rate will be modest and manageable, so no need to worry about an overcommitment.

Here's the pitch for the setting, if it helps:

---

It's hard to say that things had been quiet at the Covenant at Thannenkirch, better known as the Verdant Springs, since at least 1202, when inquisitors arrived at the gates demanding custody of the magus Genser Vestius and the score or more Jewish refugees he had brought into the covenant after the pogrom of 1200 in Thuringe. While the inquisitors left empty-handed, relations with the local nobility have never quite been the same. Meanwhile, Master Salvatus Leclerc, the titular head of the covenant, has descended more and more deeply into what the younger members of the Order might call madness--his zeal to unlock the deepest layers of the nearby magical Regio has caused a steady stream of minor crises which the other magi have been hard-pressed to address (and cover up, to protect their anonymity). The culmination of that madness, the past midwinter of 1220, was Salvatus's abduction and subsequent death by a Gryphon summoned out of the Regio, has consequently been both a relief and a new challenge to weather. With the sudden death of a master, the regional Tribunal is now interested in Thannenkirch's affairs for the first time in half a century, and Genser Vestius' installation as the new Master, while a foregone conclusion for many, brings challenges of its own...

The players will take on the roles of young Magi (28-30 years old) and their companions at a Covenant in a moment of great transition, in the midst of a Holy Roman Empire also in a moment of great transition.

Forget everything you think you know. The only "rational explanations" for what's out there in Mythic Europe are the ones that can be tested by thurible, incantation, or alembic.

---

The goal is a really story-based game focused on character goals and how they navigate challenges and change over a year/decade/generational timespan. Ars Magica contains all the stuff you love about wizards: research, apprentices, familiars, crafting magical items, wizard duels, wild monsters...you name it, it's in here.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Enoch »

I'd be interested. Never played AM but have read 4e extensively and love the idea of building a chantry, doing research, etc.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Starbeard »

Whoah!

It's been a stretch, man!

If only you had stayed away for about 3 more months. I'm still swearing off post games until I can do good on a couple of other life goals & necessities, but I'll be sure to see how the game is going and whether you have an opening when I do pick things back up later this year.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Keehnelf »

Enoch - Sweet! Glad to hear it and I'll add you in!

Starbeard - YES! Of course there would always be a spot for you in a game I run. It won't go so fast that in a few months there won't be a very easy way to bring you in no matter what!

Return to “Looking for players or games”