Travellers Aid Society Lounge [In-Game Player Chat]

Hvalreki
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Travellers Aid Society Lounge [In-Game Player Chat]

#1 Post by Hvalreki »

This space is for player group chat to discuss in-game (in character) strategy, tactics, plans, etc.

If players are somewhere secure (a private room, in Jumpspace, etc.) then the conversations are private. If however the players are elsewhere (e.g. standing in front of a Customs official) then anything posted here might also be overheard by nearby NPCs.
Last edited by Hvalreki on Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Travellers Aid Society Lounge [In-Game Player Chat]

#2 Post by Spearmint »

As a character, Colonel Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt might be a veteran but Spearmint the player is not, I rarely adventure far in Traveller realms. That being said, he (and I) greet everyone and tries to get down to some business.

Do we need to appoint a 'party treasurer' to account the expenditure on behalf of H&C?

Seven characters in the team, how best to divide our investigations so we don't crowd each other out or duplicate actions?

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Hvalreki »

P.SA.

Before we get too deep into the game players may discuss their plans freely.Assume the next set of posts are post mission brief before you get in the coolers.

After that you’ll need privacy for this area to be “private”.

Any OOC banter, questions, etc go in the Starport Bar.

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by subaltari »

Hvalreki wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:52 pm Before we get too deep into the game players may discuss their plans freely. Assume the next set of posts are post mission brief before you get in the coolers.
So should we move all the Mission Briefing dialogue over here, i.e. would NPCs respond to our questions here too? That might be helpful since a lot of time passed between the briefing and the landing on Amondiage. I was confused about that myself and wrote my first IC post backwards, until I reread everything. :?

On that note, about how long did the trip actually take?
Hvalreki's Repo Men (CT): Gabe Garcia, 7A8772 age 22 (1 term Marines); Autorifle-1, Cutlass-2, Tactics-1, Vacc-1.
OM's Wandering Windswept Wastelands (Hyperborea 3e): Magda thugatêr Erebos, 2nd level Ixian Witch
Spearmint's Barrowmaze (1e): Elbart, 1st level human 'riverman'

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by subaltari »

Spearmint wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:38 amDo we need to appoint a 'party treasurer' to account the expenditure on behalf of H&C?

Seven characters in the team, how best to divide our investigations so we don't crowd each other out or duplicate actions?
I can safely say Gabe is not your first choice as either one, Treasurer or Lead Investigator. He's most likely going to fall into the role of "Security" with all that implies. He might not have much to say in our huddles, but hears everything and has good eyes. Gabe's happy to back someone else's play as a sidekick, undercover tail, or (if it comes to it) 8-) sniper overwatch.

With that said, as J.P. I am familiar with the RL military and law enforcement scenes, but I'm here to play the game and I do enjoy the planning and clue gathering phases of RPGs. So I might be giving an OOC suggestion here or there if it doesn't bother you guys ;)

(It's been a while since I last played CT, so I'm excited!)
Hvalreki's Repo Men (CT): Gabe Garcia, 7A8772 age 22 (1 term Marines); Autorifle-1, Cutlass-2, Tactics-1, Vacc-1.
OM's Wandering Windswept Wastelands (Hyperborea 3e): Magda thugatêr Erebos, 2nd level Ixian Witch

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by subaltari »

The Referee wrote:"As for expenses you can put in for legitimate reimbursements with the bank of Amondiage card, up to 10K per month for Mission Related expenses. The accounts are monitored and abuse may result in the accounts being suspended. It's the normal HEC setup when not in imperial space. Make sure you turn in the receipts!"

"If the crew still have ID your own ID's will recognize each other. Their biometrics are stored on your cash cards should they not have theirs or if you, ahem, discover the worst."
Earlier in the briefing Gabe already ripped open his envelope and took out the bank card. (anyone else remember Vince Vaughn in Made?) Now he picks it up, examines the heavy plastic hiding the silicon and lithium marvels within, and tuts slightly. Everything in one package, eh? In the Marines they tend to keep comms/intel and funds in separate baskets. One is S-2, the other S-4, and in between you have S-3 which is where the hammer meets the anvil; and the need to keep everything in its own little place is what gives the Zeroes (officers) something to do.

When the HEC agent says "abuse may result," Gabe looks up to make eye contact with Piotr or Easy, unless one of the others meets his glance first. "Expenses... so whassat mean. Like hotels and chow, but no buying toys wit this?" he asks softly as he holds up his card.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Thumper »

Last edited by Thumper on Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Thumper »

Ship Operation: (Rough Hack)

Non-combat Ship Crew Positions (By skills):
Capt/Pilot: Ty, Jako
Navigator: Piotr, Becky, Ty, Jako
Engineer/Mechanics: Ted-0/1, TY 0/1, Jako0/1, Easy -/3
Gunners: Ty, Piotr, Jako-0, Ted-0
Medic: Becky, Ty,
Security/Cargo Handlers: easy, Gabe,
Cargo/trade agents: Ty (Admin/SW), Ted (Merchant, Bribery, JOT), Becky (Street Wise)

Battle Stations:
Pilot: Jako
Navigator: Becky
Engineer: Ted, Easy
Gunners: Ty, (Piotr?)
Damage Control/First Aid: Gabe
Last edited by Thumper on Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by AleBelly »

Piotr would expect to be the navigator during ship operations given his deep experience in the navy (plus he's damned good at it!). Would be fine manning the turret during battle, unless navigation is particularly tricky...

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Thumper »

AleBelly wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:56 pm Piotr would expect to be the navigator during ship operations given his deep experience in the navy (plus he's damned good at it!). Would be fine manning the turret during battle, unless navigation is particularly tricky...
Obviously very preliminary as we don’t have a great idea of changes the company made to the Stranger. But in a shooting match, our best Gunners are Ty and Piotr. Jacko and Ted are Jacks of All Teades…so Gunner-0.

I just meant to put this up to start the discussion.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Hvalreki »

subaltari wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:58 pm
Hvalreki wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:52 pm Before we get too deep into the game players may discuss their plans freely. Assume the next set of posts are post mission brief before you get in the coolers.
So should we move all the Mission Briefing dialogue over here, i.e. would NPCs respond to our questions here too? That might be helpful since a lot of time passed between the briefing and the landing on Amondiage. I was confused about that myself and wrote my first IC post backwards, until I reread everything. :?

On that note, about how long did the trip actually take?
Back of the napkin at an average jump 5 it's 170 parsecs from Regina to Filentred so about 40 weeks including a Reft crossing to Amondiage. A lot of money has been spent to get you in position quickly, and 40 weeks is very quick for that distance.

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by subaltari »

AleBelly wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:56 pm Piotr would expect to be the navigator during ship operations given his deep experience in the navy (plus he's damned good at it!). Would be fine manning the turret during battle, unless navigation is particularly tricky...
I'm rusty on this one, but not sure Navigation is needed much in a battle unless we're trying to escape via hasty Jump.
Thumper wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:26 am I just meant to put this up to start the discussion.
I think it's a solid start! As long as you don't have the Str 4 dude lifting cargo boxes, and you keep the Soc 2 guy away from the negotiating, we're going to be OK :lol:

Damage Control (DC) is a good example of a "non skill" driven task as we've been talking about over in the OOC thread. Navy careerists should be best at DC, but anyone who's worked on ships would have some OJT time in it.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by TheMyth »

Becky tries to get the ball rolling...

"Okay, gentlemen, it's time we start planning our line of atfack. What individual tasks do we need to accomplish, and who should do them?

"I think first we need to find out how the bodies of Diego Dubois and Khadija Han ended up on Amondiage. Who found them? Who turned in the bodies? How long had they been dead?

"We could also start searching for the other crewmembers. Are they dead? Were they injured and ended up somewhere else here in tbe islands? Did any of them have any contacts here in the Islands?

"Of course, we need to look for the ship. Maybe see if it got impounded? Is there known pirate activity here? Do any similar ships show up in the registry?

"What else?"
Becky asks.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Thumper »

During dinner, he looks at the local Internet/library for research on the big body of water a few km from here. He searches for a surf camp and a surf report. He also looks at transport options to get there, including renting an air raft.

He also investigated comms on this planet. Specifically, if outside of our comms ranges, can our comms tie into the local networks. Obviously, if he’s online, our hand-computers can do the same?

Electronics [2d6+1]=8+1=9

Is there another +2 for a 13 (D) Intelligence?

He’ll also sift the Starport webpages to see if there is any reference to the Perfect Stranger. If not, he’ll browse to gain familiarity of the interstellar trade through here.

Then he just lazily sifts the local news while listening to the crew banter. The casual observer would notice he drinks beer and wine, but he doesn’t seem to over do it. He seems to cut himself off after 2 slow ones, then waits a couple hours later before slowly nursing on more. If asked, he just calmly says…getting too old to push it up all the time. Makes me feel bad…

After dinner, though, he does reach over and snitches a cigar from East’s pocket…thinking he’s sneaky. He spends the rest of the evening chewing on the end of the unlit cigar.

Dex [2d6+1]=4+1=5

I have experience working with damn bureaucrats the worlds over. I should go to the Starport as soon ans they open in the morning and see if the Stranger is on planet. If not, I’ll request to sift their registries for the history of its comings and goings…as Becky suggested. I can ask there about the bonded cadaver movements as well. I think Becky ought to come with me. She has some useful, er, talents!

I wanna do some shopping. I ain’t going back in the box… Would be super groovy to go shopping with Ted!

The carcass thing should be pursued. Prolly verify the bank’s reimbursement process.

There’s gotta be more chores…

My game plan is maybe to, like, stay up all night and tomorrow to reset in case we’re here for a while. If nothing else, a party is in order. I guess I could find a pharmacy still open and get some sleep drugs…Thoughts?

Did we determine which equipment catalogue we are using for shopping?
Last edited by Thumper on Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by subaltari »

Thumper wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:42 am Did we determine which equipment catalogue we are using for shopping?
Pretty sure it's only the 1981 rules, so Book 1 for weapons/armor and Book 3 for general equipment. They are reprinted as one big list in GDW201 The Traveller Book and GDW251 Traveller Starter Set for convenience, but it's all the same stuff.

Of course Amondiage has a very high Law Level, so buying new weapons or armor here is out of the question (though you might be able to obtain a knife or cudgel legally).

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Spearmint »

Colonel Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt
, two members from a deep reconnaissance team assigned to Rift Sector arrived back in Imperial space, dead. The team all had standard reparation bonds, and their bodies were returned to the nearest Imperial Naval base.

They had no personal effects, and both died from laser wounds according to the autopsies.

Both crewmen were shipped from Amondiage in the Old Islands subsector which is where you’re heading from here
With his thinking head on, Schmidt brainstorms regarding the two crewmen whose bodies were recovered:

Do we know which two?

Arrived back in space: how. Not just floating about I guess. So in a container, a space ship, drop pod? Who found them, when and where? There must be some report of the initial discovery. Maybe whoever found them is still knocking about?

Standard reparation (repatriation?) bonds: we would expect to know about these, being covered ourselves.

Bodies returned to nearest Imperial base: Not Amondiage.

No personal effects: how were they identified. Unless stripped naked and dumped, they would have clothes, Vacc-suits, comms units, computers, weapons?

Autopsies conducted: when and by whom? Can we access the records to confirm their wounds and cause of death. If done in Amondiage, maybe the Law Enforcement or coroner has a report.

Bodies shipped from Amondiage: shipped to where? Have they been received by H&C or next of kin yet. I wonder if kept in cold storage until the mortuary hearse spacecraft fills up with enough bodies to make shipping profitable, we can check them out ourselves. Schmidt eyes the curvaceous Becky, raising an eyebrow as he gets an inspiration. "Implants?" He is thinking data wafers or audio & visual neural augments not D-cups ...

Colonel Aziz 'Easy' Schmidt: Intelligence to discern information (Int B, +2) [2d6+2]=10+2=12

Obviously asking more questions than he can answer, he will at least check into a Coroner and news reports of bodies being found drifting in space.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Eris »

Jako listens as he eats and drinks but doesn't say much as the others talk. If you look closely, you'll see that Jako is drinking tea, not beer or wine, and not eating much, just doing it very slowly. He's also been tinkering with his hand computer the whole time, like taking notes.

Finally he speaks up, "Folks, I'm a dab hand at flying grav vehicles, air/rafts and space ships. Other than that, I'm pretty much a generalist...jack of all trades sort of guy. I could ferry you around, if we had a craft, otherwise, I'm pretty much just backup to whatever you want to do."

"However, I've been listening and I think we need to focus more on what our mission actually is. Find and return the data cores!"

Jako lays his computer on the table where you can see he has made a couple of bullet pointed lists.

"If we can return the ship, great! It might be our way out of here. Also, if possible return the crew, but neither H&C or INS cares as much about the crew as the Data and the Ship."

"Now, to find the Data Cores, I think we have to focus on finding the ship. Right? The data cores should be in the ship, the crew may be too, and that would be the trifecta. Does that make sense?"

"So, find the ship first and foremost. Is that right?"

"To summarize what we know, and it ain't much..."

"1. the ship was in the Old Islands where we are now
2. two crewmen were killed an returned to the Imperium
3. they were, if I have this right, returned to Amondiage, and then shipped back"

"That's really all we really know right now."

"If 'they were returned to Amondiage' is right, though, that tells us something more. The ship probably is not here on Amondiage. We need to learn where the crewmen were killed and maybe start a search from there. Right?"

"Now, I'm not expert on these things, but I can think of a few places we can look for more information. So, maybe split up and try to get some information, leads."

1. Find out if there is a local H&C office here? If so check in and ask what they know.

2. Go to the Port Authority to search records for The Perfect Stranger's movements. Was it here, and where did it go from here. I'm guessing a flight plan was filed here, given the law level and general administrative nature of the culture."

3. Find a good Library to look for any news stories that reference the ship or the two dead crewmen. Oh, and maybe to find out about more about the sub-sector politics. Is there Privateering among the worlds here? How much Piracy is going on and where?

4. Who, specifically, sent those bodies back? If it was the local Navy or the local version of the Scout Service, then we need to contact them and try to enlist their cooperation.

5. My final thought turns to the streets. Surely, there is an underbelly on this planet and if something, er...non-governmental...happened to The Perfect Stranger and its crew folks there will likely know something about it, maybe things the officials don't.

"As I said, I'm a driver and a generalist. I'll help with any of this, but ya'll are more experienced than I am, and some of you have more gravitas. I probably shouldn't take lead on anything."

Jako sits back and smiles ruefully, "And if I'm speaking out of turn, just tell me to shut up."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by TheMyth »

Becky sits back and crosses her arms, surveying her new teammates.

These guys are going to be a problem, she thinks to herself after hearing several of them repeat back to her exactly what she suggested a few minutes before. At least they added to it, she gives them some credit.

They're all just so OLD. Set in their ways. Used to hearing themselves talk. Didn't most of them just retire or muster out? she wonders as she looks them over, noting some of them are trying to multitask, which never works out well.

The leering white-haired guy who reminds Becky of her grandfather didn't even pay attention in the Mission Briefing to note what
the Perfect Stranger's crewmembers' names were, and which two were labelled "deceased." I hope he's not losing the stuffing out of his comforter like Granpa did, Becky wonders. He could end up having a horrible accident, Becky thinks as she smiles reflexively and then hides it.

Player's note...one good turn deserves another, fellow players! ;)

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Thumper »

Ty-
Do his internet searches reveal any clues about the Perfect Stranger?

So, I think what I’m hearing is 3 groups:
1) Starport
2) morgue and Coroner
3) library?

None of those will be open until business hours tomorrow. 3 teams split up to save time.

I’ll go to the Starport. Who’s with me?

After dinner, I will go shopping for a few things. Maybe after that we can explore the City’s, er, cultural side to see where that might lead. Utilize this overnight time while waiting for offices to open…
Last edited by Thumper on Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Gorethirster »

Ted downs a couple quick shots as dinner begins, for medicinal purposes. He's not picky about what it is, he just grabs a bottle. Once the booze starts to work into his bloodstream and thaw the slush he switches to rum-spiked coffee and takes his time with it. He lets everyone else air their ideas, mostly listening but occasionally "thoughtfully stirring" his drink when anyone gets long-winded.

In response to Ty he says "You're ignoring a team there chief. One way of figuring out who killed those crew is to figure out who has lasers around here. I didn't notice the customs agent packing, but then I wasn't looking too hard either. I figure we ought to add a little poke into the less than savory types. With a generalissimo this magnificent, there's sure to be plenty. Only so many friends and family can disappear before a man starts to get some counter-revolutionary tendencies.

It's probably also a good idea to know who could get rid of a body, or find us something a bit more intimidating than a stun stick. You know. Just in case."

Return to “Repo Men (Classic Traveller)”