0003 Pickup in the Sticks!

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

0003 Pickup in the Sticks!

#1 Post by Eris »

Jack "Flighty" O'Brian, Zaki Shursiia, Donovan Argushiig, & Karcsi Filep

The crew finishes all the pre-flight tasks and prepares to lift from Pequan's Starport.

Flighty is on the Bridge, the Pilot's Chair. Donovan is nearby working Comms/Sensors. Doug is in Engineering with Bob. Where are Zaki and Karcsi?

"It was good to meet you folks, hope to see you again one of these days." comes the call over the comms from Maggie, "New Chance, you are cleared to lift. Good trip!"

The lifters whine and kick up dust from the little used tarmac as the ship begins to rise slowly. Once cleared of the ground, Flighty takes her up and puts her on a course out into the broad oceans of Pequan. He could have gone in most any direction, he chose to head her south toward the part of the ocean that just happens to be near a certain desert...

On Comms Donovan scans around and picks up nothing except some local radio broadcasts. Doesn't appear anyone on Pequan is paying this ship the slightest bit of attention.

Doug reports over intercom and the power plant and engines are "Working just fine! Just need to get us some fuel in our tanks and we'll be set."

Looking over the schematics for the ship you note that you can draw 20 tons of water per hour into your tanks, but your Fuel Purifier can only turn it into Refined fuel at the rate of 20 tons per day. So, to get enough fuel to make the jump 1 from here to Tremorus Dex is going to take an hour to scoop, but a full day to Purify. The Pequan Government will be expecting you to be hanging around, out in the ocean somewhere for a least a day, and if they aren't tracking you on planet, they wouldn't be expecting you to be in space until a day or two passes.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

Re: 0003 Pickup in the Sticks!

#2 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:11 am Jack "Flighty" O'Brian, Zaki Shursiia, Donovan Argushiig, & Karcsi Filep

The crew finishes all the pre-flight tasks and prepares to lift from Pequan's Starport.

Flighty is on the Bridge, the Pilot's Chair. Donovan is nearby working Comms/Sensors. Doug is in Engineering with Bob. Where are Zaki and Karcsi?

"It was good to meet you folks, hope to see you again one of these days." comes the call over the comms from Maggie, "New Chance, you are cleared to lift. Good trip!"

The lifters whine and kick up dust from the little used tarmac as the ship begins to rise slowly. Once cleared of the ground, Flighty takes her up and puts her on a course out into the broad oceans of Pequan. He could have gone in most any direction, he chose to head her south toward the part of the ocean that just happens to be near a certain desert...

On Comms Donovan scans around and picks up nothing except some local radio broadcasts. Doesn't appear anyone on Pequan is paying this ship the slightest bit of attention.

Doug reports over intercom and the power plant and engines are "Working just fine! Just need to get us some fuel in our tanks and we'll be set."

Looking over the schematics for the ship you note that you can draw 20 tons of water per hour into your tanks, but your Fuel Purifier can only turn it into Refined fuel at the rate of 20 tons per day. So, to get enough fuel to make the jump 1 from here to Tremorus Dex is going to take an hour to scoop, but a full day to Purify. The Pequan Government will be expecting you to be hanging around, out in the ocean somewhere for a least a day, and if they aren't tracking you on planet, they wouldn't be expecting you to be in space until a day or two passes.
Flighty opens a channel to the whole ship. "We'll set down on the beach near the desert south of us and start refueling. Considering how hostile the locals can be, let's be diligent as we gas up. We have tankage for two jumps, so I'd prefer to fully fuel before we get out of here."

He killed the channel and brought up the map, looking to land as close as they can to the target. It might be possible to get what they needed while the refining took place, but only if he could park somewhat close.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

Into the Marches: Emily Green, 566997, 34, LCDR Imperial Navy, 4 terms.
Foil-1, Engineering-2, Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, SMG-1, Ships Boat-1, Vacc Suit-1
16,000 cr, Travellers' Aid Society, MCG medal (good for free beers in many bars), Letter of Introduction

Silverband: Des Karst, 3rd Level Fighter, Two-Handed Axe, 6' 6", long red hair in a warrior's braid.

Akus Moby: Lily Stone, 897CB3, 42, Marine Gunnery Sergeant, 6 terms.
Skills: Gambling-6, Streetwise-4, Brawling-3, Combat Rifleman-3, Pistol-3, Battledress-1, Dagger-1, Grav Vehicle-1 (Air/Raft group), Survival-1
14,000 cr, 1 High Passage

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Eris »

Sitting nearby, Donovan watches Flighty pull up a map and start examining it. He is a little surprised that the Captain is taking the ship well out of the way of the nearest and easiest place to refuel and almost half way around the planet.

OOC: No one has told Donovan anything about this part of things. :)

Over the comm Doug sends, "Yeah, Bridge, Engineering here. We're ready to run the pipes down to the water and start sucking it in as soon as you set down. Give us 5 minutes to set up and take down, and, if you want a full load, 2 hours to pipe it in at full bore. So 2 hours 10 minutes on the beach ought to do it."

"It'll take a couple of days to refine all of that water, maybe a bit more, if it's dirty water. But we could do half now and half while in Jump if you wanted to go that route." Doug adds.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:08 pm
Over the comm Doug sends, "Yeah, Bridge, Engineering here. We're ready to run the pipes down to the water and start sucking it in as soon as you set down. Give us 5 minutes to set up and take down, and, if you want a full load, 2 hours to pipe it in at full bore. So 2 hours 10 minutes on the beach ought to do it."

"It'll take a couple of days to refine all of that water, maybe a bit more, if it's dirty water. But we could do half now and half while in Jump if you wanted to go that route." Doug adds.
"Copy that. We'll see how rushed we get, but doing half now is definitely a priority. I'll let you know when we're down. Bridge out."

Flighty turned to Donnovan. "I'll bet you're wondering where the heck I'm going, right? Well, there's a story to that. The longer version will have to wait until we set down and can talk as a crew, but the short version is that we intend to pick something up before we leave Pequan. I didn't want to tell you the details until we left the port. I'll beg your pardon for that, but we really don't know you yet and while we didn't want to leave you stuck, I couldn't risk word getting out to the locals if the wrong word happened to be dropped."

Flighty
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0

Foil-1, Engineering-2, Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, SMG-1, Ships Boat-1, Vacc Suit-1
16,000 cr, Travellers' Aid Society, MCG medal (good for free beers in many bars), Letter of Introduction

Silverband: Des Karst, 3rd Level Fighter, Two-Handed Axe, 6' 6", long red hair in a warrior's braid.

Skills: Gambling-6, Streetwise-4, Brawling-3, Combat Rifleman-3, Pistol-3, Battledress-1, Dagger-1, Grav Vehicle-1 (Air/Raft group), Survival-1

helvorn
Scout
Scout

#5 Post by helvorn »

Donovan kept his mouth shut and his eyes and ears open as the ship made preparations and then headed off to refuel. Certainly there were oddities in that the crew seemed somewhat new together and to the ship. The course taken to refuel was odd as well. Still, he worked his board with quiet competence and shut up. When Flighty turned to him and began to explain that they were going to make a detour to pick something up Donovan wasn't entirely surprised. He had engaged in a fair bit of smuggling in his time and knew that independent crews often worked the ragged edge of the law. Fortunately he was confident that the crew were well-meaning and not pirates or worse.

"I understand the silence and the need to work on the side. I'm glad you took a chance with me. I've done my share of gray trading work. A little more is fine with me as long as we stay away from the hard illegal stuff. I'll do just about thing to get off the planet and I like your crew enough to want to stay along employed."
Donovan Argushiig, 697CB6, Merchant (3rd Officer), 3 terms, 30
Gun Cbt-1, Melee Cbt-0, Zero G-0, Steward-1, Pilot-1, Streetwise-1, Gunnery-2, Jack o’Trades-2, Trader-3, Carousing-1, Liaison-1, Engineering-1, Comms-1

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by terrymixon »

helvorn wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:02 am Donovan kept his mouth shut and his eyes and ears open as the ship made preparations and then headed off to refuel. Certainly there were oddities in that the crew seemed somewhat new together and to the ship. The course taken to refuel was odd as well. Still, he worked his board with quiet competence and shut up. When Flighty turned to him and began to explain that they were going to make a detour to pick something up Donovan wasn't entirely surprised. He had engaged in a fair bit of smuggling in his time and knew that independent crews often worked the ragged edge of the law. Fortunately he was confident that the crew were well-meaning and not pirates or worse.

"I understand the silence and the need to work on the side. I'm glad you took a chance with me. I've done my share of gray trading work. A little more is fine with me as long as we stay away from the hard illegal stuff. I'll do just about thing to get off the planet and I like your crew enough to want to stay along employed."
“We’re not doing anything greatly illegal, I don’t think. We’ll explain in more detail once we’re refueling. This is more of a recovery mission, to give you the short version. And we’re glad to help. I’d wager you’ll fit right in.”

Flighty

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Eris »

Flighty's path takes some time as the ship flies low and slow above the ocean. There are no "hits" on radar or challenges over radio. You don't even pick up any ships at sea.

Finally, the ship reaches a land mass in the southern seas. You can see what looks like a broad track of desert stretching out before you. Not sand dunes, but a coastal plain of brown rising to rolling hills, mostly barren and dry. A low fog hovers over the area, but through it you can see, here and there, clumps of vegetation, thick leaved with long spikey stems rising up within their mass. The broad leaves seem to glisten in the dappled light that sneaks through the fog.

Your directions to the wreak puts it about 20 klicks due east from here. It must be behind that range of hills you see ranging north and south a few kilometers inland from the coastline and before the high range of mountains you can see along the horizon...about 100 km further inland.

The coastline is straight and large breakers roll in and out relentlessly. The waves crash on the shore and withdraw to build another assault before crashing ashore again. You think trying to refuel from the beach here is going to be a challenge.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:37 pm Flighty's path takes some time as the ship flies low and slow above the ocean. There are no "hits" on radar or challenges over radio. You don't even pick up any ships at sea.

Finally, the ship reaches a land mass in the southern seas. You can see what looks like a broad track of desert stretching out before you. Not sand dunes, but a coastal plain of brown rising to rolling hills, mostly barren and dry. A low fog hovers over the area, but through it you can see, here and there, clumps of vegetation, thick leaved with long spikey stems rising up within their mass. The broad leaves seem to glisten in the dappled light that sneaks through the fog.

Your directions to the wreak puts it about 20 klicks due east from here. It must be behind that range of hills you see ranging north and south a few kilometers inland from the coastline and before the high range of mountains you can see along the horizon...about 100 km further inland.

The coastline is straight and large breakers roll in and out relentlessly. The waves crash on the shore and withdraw to build another assault before crashing ashore again. You think trying to refuel from the beach here is going to be a challenge.
Flighty will set down so the refuel can commence and shut things down. Then he'll get the team to drawing in the water and call the PCs to tell poor Donovan the truth of what they are up to.

Flighty

helvorn
Scout
Scout

#9 Post by helvorn »

Donovan nodded and smiled back at Flighty. He knew that the definition of legal could be rather elastic. Still, Donovan wasn't one to look a gift horse in the mouth. "I appreciate the chance to show my worth. You can count on me to not cause trouble and pull my weight."

After looking at the surf on the shore Donovan spoke up. "If the swells are not too big this class of ship should float especially if we are light on cargo. It might be easier to refuel floating out 500 m or more."

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by ateno »

"I,ll sit here if you dont mind."

Karcsi will sit in the bridge area and try to bring up the sensors and watch what's happening.

Once we land for refueling, Karcsi will arm up with rifle and pistol and stand guard.

Karsji

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Eris »

helvorn wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:14 pm Donovan nodded and smiled back at Flighty. He knew that the definition of legal could be rather elastic. Still, Donovan wasn't one to look a gift horse in the mouth. "I appreciate the chance to show my worth. You can count on me to not cause trouble and pull my weight."

After looking at the surf on the shore Donovan spoke up. "If the swells are not too big this class of ship should float especially if we are light on cargo. It might be easier to refuel floating out 500 m or more."
This strikes Flighty as a good idea, especially when Doug comms the Bridge, "Cap, it's gonna be hell keeping the pipes in place in that surf. Ain't there any place a bit more calm we can drop the hoses?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:42 pm
helvorn wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:14 pm Donovan nodded and smiled back at Flighty. He knew that the definition of legal could be rather elastic. Still, Donovan wasn't one to look a gift horse in the mouth. "I appreciate the chance to show my worth. You can count on me to not cause trouble and pull my weight."

This strikes Flighty as a good idea, especially when Doug comms the Bridge, "Cap, it's gonna be hell keeping the pipes in place in that surf. Ain't there any place a bit more calm we can drop the hoses?"
See how many times I've done this as a player? Zero. ;)

"Sure. Hang on."

Flighty will relocate out a ways to a smoother surface.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by terrymixon »

Flighty will oblige and thank him for the advice.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Eris »

Out a few hundred meters the waves are rolling a bit, but aren't too bad and the ship can float easily out here. Everyone on the Bridge sees the light come on showing the pipes are extended and then see the pumps come on and can monitor the water coming into the fuel tanks. It looks good from up on the Bridge and Doug comms that it looks good back in Engineering.

Karcsi takes his rifle and pistol and go out on the roof of the ship where he can keep an eye on all directions. The air is colder here than I thought it would be, especially with a strong off shore wind.

Karcsi's face and clothing are soon damp from sea spray. It isn't really unpleasant, in fact, it's bracing compared to the canned air of the ship. Karcsi's nostrils twitch and he stifles a sneeze...ozone...fresh air with ozone from the sea spray...and yeah, there's a taint, too. He thinks he'll need to pull up his filter mask in a minute, but maybe a little longer in the fresh air first.

Far out across the water, Karcsi sees movement, some creature leaps up into the air from below the water and splashes back down. He's not sure of the range, but if he's not mistaken that thing was big! His guess is 20 meters end to end! Wait there's another one! And a third! They are pretty far away and don't seem to be coming this way, but those are big animals.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by ateno »

Karcsi will report to the bridge. "School of 20 meter local mega fish, 010 realative. 5 or six klicks out, shiws no intereat to us, will continue to monitor. Over.

Karcsi

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by terrymixon »

ateno wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:21 am Karcsi will report to the bridge. "School of 20 meter local mega fish, 010 realative. 5 or six klicks out, shiws no intereat to us, will continue to monitor. Over.

Karcsi
“Copy that. How is the weather?”

Flighty

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by ateno »

terrymixon wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:40 pm [quote=ateno post_id=690478 time=1707736899 user_id=4876

Flighty
"Chilly, a strong wind off shore, smells great.

I'll check in on the 30's unless you want something else.
] /dialog]

Karcsi

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by terrymixon »

ateno wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:37 pm
terrymixon wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:40 pm [quote=ateno post_id=690478 time=1707736899 user_id=4876

Flighty
"Chilly, a strong wind off shore, smells great.

I'll check in on the 30's unless you want something else.

Karcsi
"Sounds good. Bridge out."

Flighty

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Eris »

terrymixon wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:40 pm
ateno wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:21 am Karcsi will report to the bridge. "School of 20 meter local mega fish, 010 realative. 5 or six klicks out, shiws no intereat to us, will continue to monitor. Over.

Karcsi

Flighty
Brisk, with broken clouds that seem to be moving inland and dissipating not long after crossing the coastline and returning as low lying misty fog. BTW, type F sun here, so its smaller, but brighter (and more harsh) than Sol.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by ateno »

Karcsi continues to watch and checks in every 30 minutes.

Karcsi

Return to “Adventure 1: A Simple Pickup”