Old School Classic Traveller Game [Waitlist]

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Old School Classic Traveller Game [Waitlist]

#1 Post by Hvalreki »

Hello forum!

If there is enough interest I'm looking to referee for 2-4 players in an Old School Traveller game.

Using the just original rules from 1977-81 Books 1-3

Setting is futuristic science fiction adventure in the Third Imperium.

Don't worry if you don't know anything at all, it's learn on the fly by playing the game.

Posting frequency: 2 x per week (but sometimes life happens :D )

If this sounds intriguing to you please let me know!

Last edited by Hvalreki on Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Interest Check - Old School Traveller Game

#2 Post by Thumper »

I’d play with you again, Hvalreki.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Hvalreki »

Awesome, one down!

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by TheMyth »

Lol

I just joined a Traveller game!

Why not two?

It's been many, many years since I played, but I have been itching for some scifi recently.

I'll join if you'll have me.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Hvalreki »

Great, happy to have you!

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Gorethirster »

Small world, I just joined the same game as Myth. I'll put my hand up as potentially interested in this one as well, but I know there was a wait list for Atpollard's game I'll give others a chance to jump in first. If there's still an opening in a month or two I'd be happy to join in as well.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of game are you hoping to run?

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Hvalreki »

The premise I’m going from is Characters all know each other and have accepted a mission contract. Game opens day 1 of the mission.

I don’t want to detract from anyone else’s fun (players or referee). Being in two games same genre and same game system and posting 2x a week in both may be too much for some (or not :-) ).

I’m fine either way. If you want to play or give someone else a crack first just let me know. Cheers!

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Thumper »

Will we be using the 1977 or 1982 version?
Last edited by Thumper on Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Hvalreki »

I think character gen is the same for both but probably a hybrid of both (cherry picking) :D

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Spearmint »

I only have Mongoose Traveller as a pdf.

I can randomise a character generation easy enough once I am familiar with the rules. I played a LE agent in the Space Rats game which was fun to roleplay but that was quite short lived.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Hvalreki »

So fun fact, I was actually thinking to let everyone just use one of the random character generators.
Specifically this one: https://www.batintheattic.com/traveller/ using the "verbose option" so they can see the details.

Traveller character gen is a fun little game in itself and famous for a chance of death and start over, but it's a lot less fun in PBP. My hope is to quickly get a team together and drop everyone straight in. Best way to learn is to play :-) IMO, happy to have you aboard (and glad you're feeling better!). I've requested a game thread opened and will reach out to everyone with more info including character gen.

Cheers!

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Old School Classic Traveller Game [Recruiting]

#12 Post by Thumper »

I actually just rolled my character up. It is always a fun little drill! Ty Spicoli failed to enlist and was drafted into the Scouts. 44 yr old retired Scout with a Scout Ship from Mustering. Has no formal engineering or gunnery training…
Last edited by Thumper on Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Spearmint »

So, using the Traveller pdf for char-gen and Unseen Dice roller, (once you get a campaign ID the random rolls will link to the game for transparency).

I have D'Arcy. At 18, failing to get into Law Enforcement, instead drafted into the Navy where over four terms, his 12 Education gives him advantage to rise through the Officer ranks until a Career Mishap sees him lead his fleet to a Tactical Naval victory but at the cost of being Honourably Discharged; and mustered out aged 35.

With Pilot 2 & Tactics 2 (Naval) his most proficient skills.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Hvalreki »

This is what often happens to Scout characters:

† Scout Milagrosa Moreau A66A67 Age 26
2 terms

Service History:
Rolled attributes: A66A67
Attempted to enlist in Scouts.
Enlistment roll 7 + 3 vs 7
Enlistment accepted.
Learned Pilot-1
--------------------------------------------
Term 1 age 22
Learned Medical-1
Learned Large Watercraft-1
Survival roll 7 + 0 vs 7
Reenlistment roll 9 vs 3
Voluntarily reenlisted for second term.
--------------------------------------------
Term 2 age 26
Learned Vacc Suit-1
Learned Jack-o-T-1
Survival roll 3 + 0 vs 7
Death in service.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Thumper »

I actually have to ask your permission on something Hvalreki. On Ty’s 7th Term he barely failed his survival roll ( 6 vs 7+). I exercised the “Survival- Optional Rule): injury forces character out of service with two years of the term served and no term mustering benefits.

Had I rolled a greater “miss”, I wouldn’t even ask…and we’d be joking about exactly what you posted above.

Is this ok with you?
Last edited by Thumper on Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by AleBelly »

I'd like to try this, though I've never played before.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Eris »

I can keep up with twice a week! :) If there's room I'd like to join.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Hvalreki »

Alebelly - Absolutely! Welcome to the game. Waiting for the campaign thread to open and we will get going. Feel free to play around with the character generator https://www.batintheattic.com/traveller/to get an idea of the kinds of characters you can play . I think we'll plan to stick with just the basic six in the original books (Army, Navy, Marines, Scouts, Merchant, Other (likely criminal...) unless someone is super keen to do one of the other classes that came later.

In a nutshell, the Traveller universe of the Third Imperium (the official background from GDW) is akin to Spain during the Age of Sail but set in space. Information only travels at the speed of transportation which is capped. Even using a network of fast couriers the Capital is still almost a year away from the border regions.

The Imperium is governed by a strict feudal system and fealty is the glue holding everything together - well, fealty and the Imperial Navy, Marines, Army, Merchant and Scout services.

The Imperium rules the space between the stars, collects taxes and protects it's territory with a mighty military. Planets are generally left to run themselves without interference, and many different types of worlds, governments and technology levels abound.

Megacorporations and Merchant lines dominate the most profitable trade and transportation lanes but entrepreneurial and canny Free Traders can still make a name and profit for themselves on the margins.

Player Characters in Traveller are generally experienced veterans, ex-military or merchant marines that have decided, (unlike most citizens who never leave their home worlds), that they prefer a life of adventure among the stars. For comparative purposes think of TV shows like Firefly, The Expanse , Farscape or movies like Aliens, Avatar, Outland, Blade Runner and Star Wars (not really Star Trek, much too clean in my opinion :-) ).

Don't worry if you don't know any of the official background at all, you'll be far enough away that it won't really matter except as window dressing.
Last edited by Hvalreki on Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Hvalreki »

Awesome, I think we have the 2-4 I was looking for. I'm going to close the recruiting and will start posting in the campaign thread when it's available. Cheers all and thanks for the interest!

We have -
Thumper
The Myth (you're fine to join as long as you don't mind being in two Traveller games at the same time)
Gorethirster (Same as The Myth just let me know if you want to be in both games)
Spearmit (Yay! tables are turned for a change :D )
Alebelly
Eris

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Old School Classic Traveller Game [Waitlist]

#20 Post by TheMyth »

Yes, I'd like to play!

Twice a week is totally doable for me.

Return to “Looking for players or games”