Interest check - 5e Basic Rules only

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Interest check - 5e Basic Rules only

#1 Post by sulldawga »

It's probably the wrong time to start a 5e game, since the new version of D&D is coming soon, but I'm interested in trying it nonetheless. Fair warning: I have very little DM experience with 5e and I don't have a ton of experience as a player either. But I've both run and played in ACKS, OSE, and WWN games on this site. I've run games on rpg.net, RPG Crossing, and ODD74 as well. This is an interest check only; I'm probably a few weeks away from getting anything started.

I am limiting things to the Basic Rules only because A. I want to attract folks who have interest in 5e but no interest in spending money on 5e and B. I am trying to find ways to simplify the game for me as a DM and so fewer options are better for me as a beginner. I am also attracted to the digital capabilities of D&D Beyond (again, zero expectation of any players having to spend money on digital tools). This means, if you ask me to bend the rules and let you add this one thing that's not in the Basic Rules, the answer will be a flat "no".

However, if the game get some momentum for a few months and the players are into it and someone says, "Gee, Sully, can we revisit my idea about that optional archetype?", my answer is going to be, "you know, your PC did hear a rumor about a witch in the woods east of the logging camp who trains people in that archetype... for a favor in return." I'm a sucker for worldbuilding.

Other aspects of the game that may guide your decision to join the game or not:
  • PCs will start at 5th level. I will further restrict PC race options to Human, Elf, Half-elf, Dwarf, and Halfling.
  • It's a pointcrawl sandbox. I will be using the Gritty Realism rules regarding short and long rests. I may pull in other house rules to further emphasize the Gritty Realism theme. I really like the Darker Dungeons third party rules, for example.
  • The world map is more Points of Light than West Marches, meaning that while the environment generally gets tougher the farther away you move from the capital city, there are other towns and villages with things to do. It's not a clear delineation between home base and untracked wilderness.
  • My ideal campaign state is giving PCs options with all three types of the D&D experience: Combat, Exploration, and Social. 5e does Combat well and the other two poorly. I may also do poorly but I will make the attempt.
  • I'd like to make the game similar in feel to an Elder Scrolls video game (think Skyrim). This means factions, patrons, quest givers, reputation levels. Do five quests for the Baron and he will Knight you and give you a land grant. That sort of thing. Players are free to interact with these options as much or as little as they want. It is just as viable a playstyle to go to a borderlands village and ask around about any monsters eating people or any ruined castles nearby, and looting those for gold and glory.
Final note is about posting rate. I expect 2-3 posts a week. I expect those posts to meaningfully move the game along. I fully understand life gets in the way of posting. My players will tell you there are weeks where I only get one post in. Some days I go from work to shuttling my kids to sports and I sit down at my PC at the end of the day with no energy for posting. That's ok. All I ask of players, when that happens, is a heads up (literally just "Sully, busy week, won't post until Sunday").

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Interest check - 5e Basic Rules only

#2 Post by Spearmint »

I have played in a couple of 5e games. All were creatively run by great GM's but each update, just due to the mass variables of actions, reactions, bonus actions, counter moves, Saves and factoring in going effects made each update quite an ordeal, I am led to believe.

I wish you well with the game and getting interest off the ground. Perhaps I could resurrect an archived character?

Incidentally, there was some discussion regarding a 'black powder' D&D iteration here, which seemed to gain interest and I am sure anyone more familiar with a frontier / War of Independence setting might do well to run.

viewtopic.php?p=686259#p686259

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by sulldawga »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:53 pm I have played in a couple of 5e games. All were creatively run by great GM's but each update, just due to the mass variables of actions, reactions, bonus actions, counter moves, Saves and factoring in going effects made each update quite an ordeal, I am led to believe.
I am hopeful limiting everything to the Basic Rules will limit exposure to what you've described.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by TheMyth »

I own 5e, but have never played it.

I'd love to give it a try.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

I have played 5E both FTF and PBP. It has issues, which Spearmint articulated better than I can. For me it feels more like a bad superhero game (I like superhero games, just not bad fantasy superhero games). That said, I think it needs to be grittier, a lot grittier. It has to feel like you might actually die. There have been several attempts at this and I have played in several. You are a very good DM sulldawga and I will gladly play with you again no mater the system but feel you might be better served with something more old school or if you want to try something new how about Hyperborea or Shadowdark?

No mater which direction you choose, even 5e, I am in.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by hedgeknight »

I've ran 5E games (online and around the table) and I've played in a couple. Spearmint was in my archived 5E game and he is a fantastic player. (No, he didn't pay me to say that. :D ) I'm planning on selling off all my 5E books and moving to either Pathfinder 2E or maybe the new and shiny Tales of the Valiant from Kobold Press.
That being said, I still like to play 5E...it's a fun edition...and with Spearmint and Rex as players, I'm definitely interested in your new game. :)
Winter is coming...

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#7 Post by Gremlin »

I've always wanted to try a 5E game. Just the basic rules is appealing since that's the only book I have (assuming Feats from the core book are still in play).

One thing I do know is 5E is balanced around the short/long rest economy, so cranking up the grit might throw off the recommended monster challenge ratings vs what the party would actually be able to handle.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

We have discussed this a bit before, but haven't tried all the changes to fix the issues. I highly recommend reading through these especially if you haven't played 5e much. My background with it is primarily as a player, I have only DMed 3 or 4 FTF sessions (about 30-50 hours of play as we play long sessions here). As a player I have played in enough PBP games that I have lost count, the first 5E game for me was one of Dave's on here. I really got into 5E as one of the regular players in my FTF group started playing it with some friends of his and wanted to try running it with us. In the end we ran it for about a year FTF, as a player for me. This would be about 25 10-12 hour sessions. We have since stopped using 5E all together and switch back and forth between HarnMaster and Hyperborea. The other group in our area that introduced my fried to 5E has since stopped playing it and now play Hyperborea.

Some good discussion about this.
viewtopic.php?t=9781
viewtopic.php?p=472508#p472508

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by Edeldhur »

I would love to join, if there is room for one more. Just the Basic rules seems like a perfect way to start for me, and this is also something I have been wondering about for some time - how different/better the game would/could be without all the splatbooks and additions beyond Core?

Admittedly starting at level 5 is a bit daunting for a 5e noob, but I am willing to give it a try!

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by sulldawga »

Edeldhur wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:55 pmAdmittedly starting at level 5 is a bit daunting for a 5e noob, but I am willing to give it a try!
5e has tiers of play. Levels 1-4 are considered Tier 1 where players are learning how their PC does things how their powers work. I think the idea makes sense at the table but, with PbP being so slow, I think jumping to Tier 2 won't be that much of a learning curve for folks new to 5e.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by Edeldhur »

Sounds good!

Please count me in if there is a spot? :)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by sulldawga »

I am looking for players who want to have fun and who are looking to experiment with me in ways to make a 5e sandbox game work. If you've already played a lot of 5e and find it frustrating, this game is probably not for you.

Players will have to have more of an OSR mentality, I suspect. If there's an issue with encounter balance once we shift to Gritty Realism, the answer is probably "don't assume you can win every encounter".

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

I will take a spot if you have enough for everyone else who wants to play. I want to make it work, I hate trying and not succeeding. Both a blessing and a curse at times. My mentality is very OSR when it comes to most games so that shouldn't be an issue.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Edeldhur »

sulldawga wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:30 pm I am looking for players who want to have fun and who are looking to experiment with me in ways to make a 5e sandbox game work. If you've already played a lot of 5e and find it frustrating, this game is probably not for you.

Players will have to have more of an OSR mentality, I suspect. If there's an issue with encounter balance once we shift to Gritty Realism, the answer is probably "don't assume you can win every encounter".
I'm game.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Spearmint »

I will excuse myself from joining at this time but wish you the best and a great game.

A former 5th ed game has a new start, in which I have invested quite a lot of time as a character and I don't want to take on any more than I can commit quality time too, especially as I also have a character in a new Traveller in the offing.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by sulldawga »

Looks like there's enough interest for me to continue. I will get cranking on finishing the world and then I'll circle back and see about getting started. Thanks everyone.

Holding spots for:
TheMyth
Rex
hedgeknight
Gremlin
Edeldhur
thirdkingdom

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Edeldhur »

Thanks for the update sulldawga.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

No problem. I will be here when you are ready.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

Sounds great. Sign me up.

Return to “Looking for players or games”