Interest check - 5e Basic Rules only

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Interest check - 5e Basic Rules only

#21 Post by sulldawga »

Marullus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:25 pm Sounds great. Sign me up.
You're on the list.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Enoch »

I don't know if you're thinking of running multiple groups and it looks like a pretty full roster, but I'd be interested in playing or waitlisting.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by sulldawga »

Enoch wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:54 pm I don't know if you're thinking of running multiple groups and it looks like a pretty full roster, but I'd be interested in playing or waitlisting.
I'll add you to the list and we'll see, in a few weeks when I start up, how many folks on the list are still interested. I was running two groups in my last sandbox and it wasn't bad.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by hedgeknight »

You can remove my name from the list of players. I'm swamped under with DM duties. Thanks and good luck!
Winter is coming...

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Any space for an extra player?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by sulldawga »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:18 pm Any space for an extra player?
Everyone goes on the waitlist for now. When I am ready to begin, I'll circle back and see who's ready. If there are enough players at that time for two parties, we'll do that.

So yes, we have room!

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Thanks - Shout when I make it to the top of the list!

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by sulldawga »

For anyone still interested in this game, I am sorry to say it won't happen with 5e rules. I have been bogged down with a number of real life issues that have prevented me from prepping the game but I have been thinking about the game over the last several weeks and come to the conclusion that 5e is the wrong system for what I want to do. Players have an existing expectation of how to play a 5e game, I have a different expectation, and I suspect the collision of the two will not lead to fun gaming.

I am toying with the idea of using a rules system that emphasizes emergent roleplaying. I had some interest in the 24xx ruleset but it looks like someone else tried to start a game of that here and it went nowhere. I am following the Kickstarter for Tales of Argosa and it looks interesting. There's a free playtest version of the rules, always helpful when trying to get players to play something new.

Anyway, if you look at the ToA playtest and it seems interesting to you, let me know.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

I would be interested in giving it a go.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by TheMyth »

sulldawga wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:50 pm For anyone still interested in this game, I am sorry to say it won't happen with 5e rules. I have been bogged down with a number of real life issues that have prevented me from prepping the game but I have been thinking about the game over the last several weeks and come to the conclusion that 5e is the wrong system for what I want to do. Players have an existing expectation of how to play a 5e game, I have a different expectation, and I suspect the collision of the two will not lead to fun gaming.

I am toying with the idea of using a rules system that emphasizes emergent roleplaying. I had some interest in the 24xx ruleset but it looks like someone else tried to start a game of that here and it went nowhere. I am following the Kickstarter for Tales of Argosa and it looks interesting. There's a free playtest version of the rules, always helpful when trying to get players to play something new.

Anyway, if you look at the ToA playtest and it seems interesting to you, let me know.
The blurb makes it sound interesting, but the playtest rules are ~250 pages in a file of 65MB.

Um, no thanks.

Wanna give us a little preview?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by sulldawga »

TheMyth wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:37 am The blurb makes it sound interesting, but the playtest rules are ~250 pages in a file of 65MB.

Um, no thanks.

Wanna give us a little preview?
I want to play with players who are interested enough in the game to read the rules.

I don't mean this as criticism. Everyone gets to decide what's fun for them and how much time they spend on online elfgames. My idea of fun is not the same, or better, than anyone else's.

However, my last game was with the free set of Worlds Without Number rules and there were players who didn't know the rules at all. I was constantly having to check their work to see if they did it right or do it for them because they didn't bother. It sucked. I'm not doing that again.

You only need to read the 1st half of the book as a player. The 2nd half is all GM stuff.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#33 Post by Edeldhur »

sulldawga wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:50 pm I am following the Kickstarter for Tales of Argosa and it looks interesting. There's a free playtest version of the rules, always helpful when trying to get players to play something new.

I am also following the Kickstarter, and actually in a PbP game for ToA on Discord. Still getting to know the mechanics, so cannot really voice a solid opinion about it. Can I ask why does it look interesting/appealing to you?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by sulldawga »

Edeldhur wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:46 pm I am also following the Kickstarter, and actually in a PbP game for ToA on Discord. Still getting to know the mechanics, so cannot really voice a solid opinion about it. Can I ask why does it look interesting/appealing to you?
I'm looking for two things. One is a ruleset that supports sandbox play. I don't run pre-made modules, or else I use short ones as delves and shy away from larger ones. I like rulesets with procedural rules that streamline my gaming prep. ToA purports to do that.

"Argosa is designed for short, sharp adventures in a sandbox world. The GM offers rumours and hooks, but the players decide where to go and what to do: which tales to investigate, factions to interact with, ruins to explore, etc. ToA’s mechanics, procedures, tables, and oracles equip the GM with a plethora of support tools to adapt to player choices - ready to adjudicate any situation or side trek with aplomb."

I also am looking for a ruleset that encourages creativity in player actions. I don't want to run a game where players look at their character sheet, see three options, and choose only from those three. So something that's simple and can handle players being innovative and trying new things.

"ToA has simple rules, flexible PC customisation, improvisation support, and an emphasis on GM rulings. It’s a mix of old school, modern, and new game design, wrapped around a familiar d20 core."

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Edeldhur »

sulldawga wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:26 pm
Edeldhur wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:46 pm I am also following the Kickstarter, and actually in a PbP game for ToA on Discord. Still getting to know the mechanics, so cannot really voice a solid opinion about it. Can I ask why does it look interesting/appealing to you?
I'm looking for two things. One is a ruleset that supports sandbox play. I don't run pre-made modules, or else I use short ones as delves and shy away from larger ones. I like rulesets with procedural rules that streamline my gaming prep. ToA purports to do that.

"Argosa is designed for short, sharp adventures in a sandbox world. The GM offers rumours and hooks, but the players decide where to go and what to do: which tales to investigate, factions to interact with, ruins to explore, etc. ToA’s mechanics, procedures, tables, and oracles equip the GM with a plethora of support tools to adapt to player choices - ready to adjudicate any situation or side trek with aplomb."

I also am looking for a ruleset that encourages creativity in player actions. I don't want to run a game where players look at their character sheet, see three options, and choose only from those three. So something that's simple and can handle players being innovative and trying new things.

"ToA has simple rules, flexible PC customisation, improvisation support, and an emphasis on GM rulings. It’s a mix of old school, modern, and new game design, wrapped around a familiar d20 core."
Makes sense - thank you for the reply.
And by the way, I would still be interested in participating - I am always on the lookout to try new systems :)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by sulldawga »

Not this upcoming week but the next week, I am a chaperone for my kids' school trip to Washington DC. Assuming I survive that ordeal, I am going to start up the game when I return.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

...wave as you drive past. :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Rex »

Good luck with the school trip!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Marullus »

Man... I got really excited for the "5e basic only" premise. It was a fun challenge making characters that way. Anyone else willing to run 5e?

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by Eris »

I'm not looking to hijack this thread, but the original poster has moved on to another system, so I hope he won't mind me adding this to his thread.

I would be interested in running a 5e Basic Rules game. There were several people expressing an interest in just that over the last few months. If there is a group still looking to scratch that itch we might be able to come up with a game.

A bit about what I'm thinking about:
  • Using DnD_BasicRules and nothing more.
  • Except maybe some of 5e Hardcore Mode I'm still thinking about that.
  • Everybody starts at 2nd Level.
  • The game will be set in my version of the Nentir Vale, Points of Light style.
  • I'd use my existing Nentir Vale Adventures as the forum if my players in there agreed to switch to 5e Basic.
  • Feel free to look at the games I run here, that's the style of game I run...pretty narrative, a lot of role playing and less roll playing.
If I get interest, I'll broach the subject to my existing players and see if they are interested in a merger. If they aren't and I still have a lot of interest (5 or 6 solid inquiries), I'll still run this.

Hope to hear from you...
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Return to “Looking for players or games”