[OOC 1] THE WATER COOLER - A Place for General Discussion

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: [OOC 1] THE WATER COOLER - A Place for General Discussion

#181 Post by atpollard »

Thumper wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:17 am atpollard, can you tell me specs about Mick’s trophy hunting rifle? I wrote down the standard rifle specs. At his intro to the group, you described the rifle as a “large bore”. Do standard CT book specs apply to his weapon?
Are you a "gun nut"?
If so, then you can select any "African Big Game Rifle" that YOU like from the Real World and I will give you the Traveller Stats for it.
If not, then I will pick one ... maybe a .500 Nitro Express Bolt Action with a scope (I had something like that in my mind's eye).

In general, damage is higher but range is similar.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#182 Post by atpollard »

Just a quick update ...

THEMYTH has decided that Traveller is not for him [I know, I can't believe that anybody doesn't like Traveller either ;) ] ... I guess some people just prefer Dungeons. 8-)

So the GROUP notices Val slip into a more comfortable RED SHIRT as she moves to NPC status until the end of the adventure.
The GOOD NEWS is Val had decided to fund the expedition with Cr 100,000 into the kitty for expenses.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#183 Post by Thumper »

atpollard wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:38 am
Are you a "gun nut"?
If so, then you can select any "African Big Game Rifle" that YOU like from the Real World and I will give you the Traveller Stats for it.
If not, then I will pick one ... maybe a .500 Nitro Express Bolt Action with a scope (I had something like that in my mind's eye).

In general, damage is higher but range is similar.
Some…I am an avid shotgun/sporting clays shooter. Very versed…and quite talented with handguns. Shot expert every year of my 22 yr military career with the 9mm. I still outperform LEOs on their tac range.

When it comes to big game, if it’s more complicated than a mass-produced .06, 30-30, 300 win mag, etc., I don’t know it. I also envisioned a bolt action with a fantastic scope.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#184 Post by atpollard »

Thumper wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 am When it comes to big game, if it’s more complicated than a mass-produced .06, 30-30, 300 win mag, etc., I don’t know it. I also envisioned a bolt action with a fantastic scope.
Then let's make it Bolt Action (Winchester Model 70 or Mossberg Predator) in 11 mm caliber (.458 Win Mag / .45/70 Gov +P) with a 24" barrel and a scope.
That would be: 11mm Bolt Action Rifle [Cr 300, 4.0 kg, 1000 mm LOA] 5D6 damage. Range as Rifle. 3 round internal magazine.
Note that Cr 300 is "standard" quality and before the scope ... your weapon was better quality if I remember correctly.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#185 Post by Thumper »

It was a mustering out weapon from a hunter’s career. I imagine the rifle would be a trophy weapon with a high end scope.

I had a bayonet on the character sheet, but I’m thinking that’s not real compatible with a high end sporting rifle.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#186 Post by atpollard »

Thumper wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 am It was a mustering out weapon from a hunter’s career. I imagine the rifle would be a trophy weapon with a high end scope.

I had a bayonet on the character sheet, but I’m thinking that’s not real compatible with a high end sporting rifle.
Maybe they are more pragmatic in the "Far Future" ... when an alien Trophy Tiger takes 3 shots and closes to "hand to hand" range for one last dying attack, an engraved commemorative bayonet might be useful. ;)
It IS a Mauser 98 at its core.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Leitz »

Hey all. I got some bad news yesterday and I am having a hard time focussing on the game. My posting will be iffy for a while.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#188 Post by Thumper »

Sorry to hear, Leitz. Real life first. Hope things get better soon. We're here when you are ready. Also, here if you need a hand with anything.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by shaidar »

Sorry to hear that, Leitz.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#190 Post by Eris »

Real life is a bi$%h and a half! I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles Leitz. Hope things improve ASAP.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#191 Post by atpollard »

Leitz wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:11 pm Hey all. I got some bad news yesterday and I am having a hard time focussing on the game. My posting will be iffy for a while.
I've been praying for you, so things should work out.
HE knows what HE is doing [even if I am often left scratching my head in confusion].

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#192 Post by atpollard »

Eris wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:40 pm
Thumper wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:11 am He’ll also ask Joe if Olivio has any body armor to sell or contribute to the cause.
Joe will comm back, "Olivia is in. She has a selection of weapons for sale but has no body armor or optics."

OOC: How fast would a trip to and from the city by the rail line that we came here on be? Having just ridden it here today, Joe would know. If it could be done in a couple hours there and back, it would make it easier to purchase some of the more exotic gear we need. If it's going to take the better part of a day it wouldn't be worth it.

We've clearly moved on from this. :)
I would like to take a moment to share a story offer some information based on that story.

I started RPG with Basic D&D & AD&D 1e (waiting for them to publish enough AD&D books to play). I still remember playing in a specific module that was for a group of 1st to 3rd level characters back when we knew so little that we followed the rules FAITHFULLY. I can still remember the climactic final encounter with the villain where he cast "cloud kill" on the group. For old grognards like me that remember the 1e, that particular spell requires characters to be at least Level 4 to be allowed a saving throw. Initiative in one encounter meant automatic death for the entire party and an abrupt end of the adventure.

THIS GAME is not THAT. I cannot guarantee that nobody will get hurt or even killed, but I can guarantee that a "bigger gun" or "better armor" or a "faster ship" is not what will make the difference in my game. This game is about your ACTIONS and CHOICES driving events in the game and how you respond to those events. A smaller gun just means you need to shoot it more times to kill it. If you are in so many firefights that Combat Armor will make a difference, then we have moved into a serious MERCENARY campaign or you probably need to work on your basic "people skills". ;)

[FYI: the Vacc Suits provide the equivalent of a full body "bullet-proof vest" if you want that level of protection and Val gave Cr 100,000 to the mission.] [shrug]

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by shaidar »

When I started playing Traveller here on US, I was told that combat is deadly and if you get into a fight there are no guarantees, except avoiding the fight.

I thought the Body Pressure Suit might have it's uses mainly for the temperature protection and it being far less bulky than the available vacc suits or I imagine winter clothing is going to be. I saw it making it easier to do delicate work.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#194 Post by Thumper »

If we can retcon a second: Mick would be happy to pick up some suits while he’s in town. FYI, he’s a red-neck bushman…no experience with spacey suits and the like (except for a very brief time he worked at the Cobalt downport as an apprentice repairman on his youth). So not really his schtick. He would naturally go with what he’s used before.

But if someone spoke up asking for pressure or vacc suits (like DJ did), providing their body measurements, and transferring funds (he doesn’t even have enough to buy one pressure suit and barely enough for a vacc suit), he’d gladly grab ‘em while he’s in town. Guns & ammo, too. In accordance with DJ’s recommendation, Mick would have picked up BPS for him, Joe, and Jim as well.

Of course, you’d see Mick driving back into the Colony or grav port dragging a grav cart containing all the gear attached to the back of his motorcycle. Would make a perfect red-neck sight. 🤣

14k cr x 7 Travellers = 96k cr

Vacc suits are 7k
Last edited by Thumper on Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#195 Post by Thumper »

I had never before played with the Mercenary LBB. Found this page and found it super interesting. Looks like Marc Miller states that he way overpriced vehicles and some other miscellaneous gear.
Attachments
IMG_0932.png
IMG_0932.png (843.72 KiB) Viewed 108 times

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#196 Post by atpollard »

shaidar wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:03 pm When I started playing Traveller here on US, I was told that combat is deadly and if you get into a fight there are no guarantees, except avoiding the fight.

I thought the Body Pressure Suit might have it's uses mainly for the temperature protection and it being far less bulky than the available vacc suits or I imagine winter clothing is going to be. I saw it making it easier to do delicate work.
Deadly Traveller Combat is a "sort of" thing.
It is MUCH more dangerous than a Level 10 Fighter in D&D where HP are nibbled away slowly over scores of hits.

DEAD is when STR + DEX + CON are all reduced to zero. For an average character, that is 7+7+7 = 21 points of damage. Most guns do 3D6 damage per hit and hit about 50% of the time. So a gunshot has a 50% chance to inflict 3 to 18 points (10.5 average) against a character with an average of 21 "HP". That means, statistically, it takes someone shooting at you 4 times and hitting you twice to kill you [unless someone applies MEDIC skill immediately].

Personally, I think getting shot twice seems like a reasonable thing to expect to kill someone without immediate medical attention. It tw ends to make most Traveller "people" more cautious in combat than most fantasy Warriors.

ARMOR:
The Body Pressure suit IS less bulky and more maneuverable. It is also equal to "Jack" armor rather than "Cloth" armor like the Vacc Suit.
In D&D terms, a Body Pressure Suit is "Leather Armor" to a Vacc Suit as "Chainmail" and Combat Armor as "Platemail".

In Traveller TECHNICAL TERMS:
JACK is a strong synthetic Leather that resists cutting.
CLOTH is ballistic cloth (like modern Kevlar) that resists bullets.
COMBAT is a hard shell (like Star Wars StormTroopers).
[BATTLEDRESS is a Powered suit of Armor somewhere between 'Master Sergeant' from HALO and a MECH worn by high TL Marines.]

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#197 Post by atpollard »

Thumper wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:20 pm I had never before played with the Mercenary LBB. Found this page and found it super interesting. Looks like Marc Miller states that he way overpriced vehicles and some other miscellaneous gear.
I am not certain, but I think that applies to the 1977 version of the rules that had the inflated prices [I would have to dig out the old rule books and Don McKinney's Errata to check for sure.]

1 credit = $1 when Marc was writing it (1977) ... so adjusting for inflation, Cr 1 = about $5 current US money. You can "ballpark" prices by converting between 2024$ and Credits for real world items. I do this frequently.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#198 Post by atpollard »

Thumper wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:13 pm If we can retcon a second ...
No problem. Anyone can have anything available at any point that they want.

I just wanted to get on with the fun part rather than waste too much time shopping and debating about purchases.
If everyone has SOMETHING to stay warm and SOMETHING to shoot ... you are good. The GROUP has two Adventure Backpacks of supplies and is about to gather your ARCTIC SPECIFIC supplies (which were in low demand in the TROPICS).

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#199 Post by Thumper »

atpollard wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:52 am
I just wanted to get on with the fun part rather than waste too much time shopping and debating about purchases.
And that is much appreciated

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Leitz »

Thanks, guys. Unexpected job transition in the very near term. Fortunately I keep my resume current. :)

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”