[OOC 1] THE WATER COOLER - A Place for General Discussion

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

A choice to make ...

#201 Post by atpollard »

You have a choice for handling the Arctic Hamlet X-2 ... We can play out every encounter (which is OK with me) and spend time interacting with the community, or we can just cut to the chase and move on to "you get your stuff and take off" (which is also OK with me).

So "Take our time in town" or "enough shopping, lets get on with it"? ;)
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [OOC 1] THE WATER COOLER - A Place for General Discussion

#202 Post by Leitz »

I'm okay either way. Jim will stay on the craft and keep it ready.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#203 Post by Thumper »

I like flavor of this interesting place, but don’t want to get bogged down in it unless it’s going to be a place critical to the plot line.

A summary of the flavor of the community would be nice though.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#204 Post by atpollard »

Thumper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:58 pm In his role outfitting the crew for the cold, Mick will focus on the following priorities:
1) Renting the Tracked ATV and loading it on the plane. 2 ATVs if he can get two and load both on the plane
2) Cold weather clothing as a backup to BPSs for everybody (the higher TL the better) (I'm still a bit confused as to whether Herbie made the expedition)
3) Arctic Travel Packs for everybody. The higher TRL the better.
4) Any other purchase requests ( guns, gear, etc.)(speak up now)
5) While conducting the shopping he'll also info shop for: what was VET's relationship with the local communities, expected conditions at the site, info that didn't make it into the news about the VET party and the other reward party, speculation about what happened, what's broken with the relay station, any sense that someone at this station or Oyland were involved, intel on expected animals/creatures, etc. He'd also be interested to know what runs the economy of the community and what it manufactures.
This has not been ignored ... just cross-posting. I will address it as part of the next update.

PS. I am assuming that Herbie is here ... his Player has been missing from U.S. for a week.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#205 Post by atpollard »

Thumper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:58 pm In his role outfitting the crew for the cold, Mick will focus on the following priorities:
1) Renting the Tracked ATV and loading it on the plane. 2 ATVs if he can get two and load both on the plane
Only one is available and it will be loaded on the plane within the hour ...
2) Cold weather clothing as a backup to BPSs for everybody (the higher TL the better)
Consider it done. Spec's coming in next update.
3) Arctic Travel Packs for everybody. The higher TRL the better.
Done. Spec's coming in next update.
4) Any other purchase requests ( guns, gear, etc.)
See the post about Guns available here that were not available in Brulantfort.
A box of 50 rounds will be assumed purchased with any weapon.
5) While conducting the shopping he'll also info shop for: what was VET's relationship with the local communities, expected conditions at the site, info that didn't make it into the news about the VET party and the other reward party, speculation about what happened, what's broken with the relay station, any sense that someone at this station or Oyland were involved, intel on expected animals/creatures, etc. He'd also be interested to know what runs the economy of the community and what it manufactures.
The "Reader's Digest" answer is that the residents of this community are 100% indifferent to the Relay Station and the MegaCredit Prize and V.E.T.. Think an Inuit settlement a few hundred kilometers from a USAF Missile Tracking site ... they just don't care unless it impacts the wildlife that they hunt. Two different worlds.
Second Tracked ATV: Roll = [6] ... not available.
(There is a second ATV in Saint Oyland.)

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#206 Post by Thumper »

Mick would have called back to the plane to ask what PCs and NPCs want.
Last edited by Thumper on Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#207 Post by Eris »

Joe already has an auto pistol and shotgun and will purchase ammo for them if he doesn't have any. They were stowed in a locker, he picks them up, and that's what he's carrying with him.

Joe wants to purchase a vacc suit, highest TL he can get from his 44,000 credits. He hopes to be wearing that for protection from the cold, and as armor if needed. Flashlight, rope, grapple hook, pry bar, and a mechanic's tool kit to work on plane/atv/etc. as needed. The other tool kits are being brought by others, I think, but no one has mentioned mechanical repairs...and Joe is skilled at that.

Edit: Oh, and we need to make sure we have rations and water for a few days, just in case.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#208 Post by Thumper »

Good call on rations and agua. We have two atmospheric water generators that should meet a survival need.

I think a vacc suit and Mechanics toolkit would have been sourced from Broulanfort.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#209 Post by atpollard »

Thumper wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:47 am Dude, ya want a shotgun, Mick'll buy Joe a shotgun. Keep in mind, atpollard already determined that weapons quals do not folllow LBB rules. He divides slug weapons into Long Guns and Sidearms. (I kinda like that determination based on Real life experience with firearms). Just FYI. Ya want both, Mick'll buy you both. (Previous post above edited to show Joe with a synthetic composite construction...so as to be cold weather operable...shotgun and a rifle for Joe, just like we set out with. Does Joe want a 7mm, 9mm rifle or a 12mm rifle? (atpollard, do the dex bonuses or penalties apply the same whether we're talking 7mm rifle or 9mm rifle?).
Mick will offer to trade Joe the 9mm rifle for the big bore 12mm rifle.

By the way, Shotgun shooting Kicks A$$. From an avid sporting clays fan.

Above post edited…
DEX BONUS: for now, let's assume they do. I am leaning towards a simpler combat mechanic (like Striker) if it becomes necessary. Most times, it is sort of obvious (you encounter a rat in a building and shoot it ... you point the shotgun at the man and tell him to put his hands up ... lots of rolls and modifiers are not really needed).

SHOTGUNS: really are the best weapon 90% of the time (particularly a short tactical shotgun since Traveller tends to be more "indoor" spaces). The exception is hunting Tyranosaurus ... when the need to get up close [medium range] is a disadvantage.

BIG BORE: as a general rule of thumb, larger bore guns will have more recoil and are better for characters with higher STR + DEX + END. [The best metric I can think of for "big hands", "strength", "comfortable with recoil energy" and all the intangibles that make people choose one gun over another.] I don't think the difference will matter for "Rifles", but "Revolvers" are more likely to be uncomfortable to shoot if you have a 12 mm Revolver and STR + DEX + END = 6 to 17 [below 666xxx average]. Rifles matter when you start to get into 15mm and up "Elephant Guns" ... but we have not encountered them yet because they are too heavy to carry for long.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#210 Post by atpollard »

Thumper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:36 pm I made some assumptions on what individual PCs would want in the weapons purchase based on their skillsets. I’m sure I got some player’s character wrong. Treat this as, “Mick would have called back to the plane to ask what PCs and NPCs want. Please clearly articulate which weapons you want, and I’ll make certain to get you what you want…stick limi
For the weapons ... I am leaning towards assuming that the GROUP purchased everything available (since numbers and opportunities were limited) and placing it on a table just before you get off the plane for everyone to select from [with the rest stored in the ATVs].

The idea is to just be clear about what you have when you start out in wilderness ... not to penalize shopping decisions.
Everyone will have some sort of clothing ... what clothing are YOU wearing?
Everyone will have some sort of weapon ... what weapon(s) are YOU carrying?

Stuff like "MRE" are in the ATVs (too heavy to carry a case) with a few in the "magic" backpacks [that is EXACTLY the sort of thing they are there for].
Every character started out with Tools for their skill (at least a basic skill-1 set of tools ... a skill-3 auto shop [mechanical], operating room [medic] or commercial kitchen [steward] is hard to transport).

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#211 Post by Thumper »

atpollard wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:20 pm
For the weapons ... I am leaning towards assuming that the GROUP purchased everything available (since numbers and opportunities were limited) and placing it on a table just before you get off the plane for everyone to select from [with the rest stored in the ATVs].

The idea is to just be clear about what you have when you start out in wilderness ... not to penalize shopping decisions.
Everyone will have some sort of clothing ... what clothing are YOU wearing?
Everyone will have some sort of weapon ... what weapon(s) are YOU carrying?
Great, I despise shopping for other people!!

Mick will desire to carry as big of an Arctic rifle and revolver as he can get. He likes the big guns. He’ll take his “Shorty” and his trophy rifle along in the ATV.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#212 Post by atpollard »

TOOL KITS:

Here is a quick RULE OF THUMB ...

[skill-0] tools needed fit in your pocket;
[skill-1] tools needed fill a backpack;
[skill-2] tools needed fit in the back of a van;
[skill-3] tools needed fill a room;
[skill 4+] tools needed are all specialized and measured in tonnes and MCr.

... to help visualize.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by shaidar »

So DJ really only has the tools for skill-1, hopefully that will be sufficient for this job and we can invest in the next level once we finish this job. :)

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#214 Post by atpollard »

shaidar wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:02 pm So DJ really only has the tools for skill-1, hopefully that will be sufficient for this job and we can invest in the next level once we finish this job. :)
It is less a matter of affording them than it is a matter of transporting them. Think of everything an Auto Mechanic needs or a Paramedic keeps on an ambulance ... how do you carry that everywhere?
On the other hand, a basic screwdriver and pliers fit in your pocket or a Medic caries a backpack sized Field Medical kit.

For Electronics Skill, the kits tend to be lighter but more expensive than Mechanical skill tools. So you could fit it in a large chest, but it would take two people to carry so that is cumbersome for DJ to drag around. The "Electronics-3" shop could probably be loaded into a van and set up in an empty room (for board-level repairs).

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by shaidar »

So I've had DJ buy the additional revolver and rifles, and added them to the other to rifle on his character sheet and reduced his credits. Also bought wet weather cold gear and a shotgun.

But I've bought the weapons as group items, so noted the cost for a refund from funds later.

Atpollard, what's the cost of the snub pistol ammo, and is that 20 rounds of each available or 20 in total?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#216 Post by atpollard »

shaidar wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:14 pm So I've had DJ buy the additional revolver and rifle, and added them to the other to rifle on his character sheet and reduced his credits. Also bought wet weather cold gear.

But I've bought the weapons as group items, so noted the cost for a refund from funds later.

Atpollard, what's the cost of the snub pistol ammo, and is that 20 rounds of each available or 20 in total?
20 total of any variety that you choose to have him make ... strictly a time to manufacture issue.
If you wanted to order more and pick it up in a few days on your way back (just to have it).

Cr 10 per 6 rounds per the rules (irrespective of type). That comes out to Cr 34 for 20 rounds (since you can't pay fractional credits).

(If you have a revolver, he can throw in a free Speed Loader). ;)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by shaidar »

His snub gun is a pistol, but how about a fast loader for the local revolver he purchased?

I'm tempted to go for 20 heap.

That gives him a revolver, a shotgun, and the snub pistol with HEAP for real trouble

However as not a gun expect and not having a huge amount of experience with Traveller combat (the other game I play in here uses Striker), I will happily take advice.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#218 Post by atpollard »

shaidar wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:53 pm His snub gun is a pistol, but how about a fast loader for the local revolver he purchased?

I'm tempted to go for 20 heap.

That gives him a revolver, a shotgun, and the snub pistol with HEAP for real trouble

However as not a gun expect and not having a huge amount of experience with Traveller combat (the other game I play in here uses Striker), I will happily take advice.
Go for HEAP ... nobody ever said "I wish I had a smaller bullet" in a firefight.

As far as COMBAT goes, I sort of like STRIKER from a RPG standpoint.

Get a minor wound and you slap on a BandAid.
Two minor wounds equal a SERIOUS wound ... rush over with the Medkit and apply a bandage to stop the leak.
Two serious wounds equal a CRITICAL wound ... apply that foam that doesn't really exist and rush him to the Hospital for surgery.
Two critical wounds equal ... well, check his pockets for loose change and argue over who gets his weapon.

That offers a LOT of Role Playing opportunities beyond just rolling dice and subtracting points from ability scores.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by shaidar »

:lol: HEAP it is.

The striker method does seem straightforward and works well.

What about holsters? A belt one for the revolver and an underarm concealed for the snub?

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#220 Post by Thumper »

I have to sign off until Sunday night or Monday night.

Mick buys the ceramic/bone knife and selects artwork that tells a story of THE PEOPLE as a sign of respect to them. He’ll keep that.

The guns Mick purchased, he’ll put in the group weapons kitty; except he will retain the 12mm Revolver and try to find a speed loader for it. He’ll also request the 12mm rifle w/folding stock and telescopic sight.

Mick has personal LI goggles. The adventure backpacks each have one multi-spectral binocs. I think we could use an a couple IR Goggles in the crowd.

I think ATVs have plenty of room. Our party is not large…should be room for lots of cargo.

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”