[OOC 1] THE WATER COOLER - A Place for General Discussion

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

[OOC 1] THE WATER COOLER - A Place for General Discussion

#1 Post by atpollard »

Just creating a TOPIC for General Discussion (not related to CharGen).

I posted a Star map. The four systems "detailed" will be where we will focus our attention and efforts.

Any votes for which of the worlds y'all would like to start out on?

Some general information on the "UNIVERSE". Like the map says, there are dangerous empires in the upper and lower corners ... but they don't affect us much. There is a "backroad" trade between them that passes thru these systems ... but it is more a smuggler's route than a main trade route. There is a fair amount on minor trade that passes through the gap between the empires that also passes through these systems. So this area is not a major Trade Route, but it is an important backroad "Truckstop".

Given the proximity to hostile Empires, every world maintains defense forces for its survival. None of that should really matter except as the backdrop.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC 1 - General Discussion

#2 Post by atpollard »

People started asking what the game will be like. Here is something I posted on another site about creating a game that gives a hint at what to expect:

A variation that I use is to create a grid, say 4 x 6 for an example. In each of the 4 rows is a "Plot Thread" ... an "adventure" or some unfolding event that the players are either directly or indirectly related to. Here are our 4 sample "PLOT THREADS":

#1 Local Bar is struggling and may go bankrupt (the PLAYERS are free to do something or nothing about it ... it is just happening at the bar near the spaceport where they drink).
#2 There is a Cargo of Electronic "widgets" that can be purchased for far below the standard price (a good roll on Speculative Cargo ... the group can attempt to locate and purchase it, or not).
#3 Crime is increasing and the Local LEO seem less capable of dealing with it.
#4 There are rumors of increased political tensions in the region (a small war is about to happen, but this is beyond the scale of the players to change interplanetary political events).

In addition to the 4 "PLOT THREADS", we have 6 columns of "PEOPLE/PLACES":

A: Local Bar
B: Abandoned Factory
C: Downport
D: "Wild Weasel" - "Streetwise" local character
E: "The Preacher" - Local Clergy operates mission for poor.
F: "El Chapo" - Local Business owner with rumors of "black market connection" [old man].

Indexing the PLOT THREADS to the PEOPLE/PLACES creates a table of information ... what can be learned about each PLOT from each PERSON/PLACE. The Players start out in one of the PEOPLE/PLACES where they have access to RUMORS and INFORMATION on at least SOME of the PLOTS. The players can follow the rumor/information to one of the other sources and learn more about THAT PLOT and/or OTHER PLOTS. The PERSON/PLACE only knows what it knows and tells what you ask ... it is for the players to sort out what facts go with which plots.

As an example: Starting at A (Local Bar) ...

1. Maria serves you your drinks and you overhear her comment to another waitress that business and her pay are both down again this week. [If you inquire further, they tell you that the criminals are becoming more brazen and driving away customers - hint at #3].
2. There is a hand-written note on the bulletin board advertising "ELECTRONICS FOR SALE, Good Prices, CASH ONLY!" and a phone number. [Speculative Cargo]
3. Each time you leave the bar, there is a 1 in 6 chance that someone will attempt to rob the group. d6: 1-3=group with fists, 4-5 two men with knives, 6=one man with gun.
4. TV in bar playing news report about "special ambassador" sent to deal with rising tensions. Patron drinking at bar complains that his reserve unit was ordered to report for unscheduled training exercises.

Some "RUMORS/INFORMATION" can be TIME related ... so when you go to the PERSON/LOCATION could change WHAT they know.

The best part is that PLAYERS create links between facts that may or may not exist. Then the REF can decide whether the original concept or the PLAYER idea is better and go with it. Behind the scenes the REF has a few simple facts that drive the rumors.

#1 The bar is struggling because the GANG is attempting to drive it out of business [Protection Racket].
#2 The Electronics Cargo is legitimate, but there is a "story behind the story" about WHY the owner needs to sell Quickly, For Cash. The PLAYERS may need to WORK to earn that profit. Perhaps there is a business partner attempting to stop the sale as part of a hostile takeover. Perhaps the parts have no paperwork and will need to be exported discreetly. Perhaps a collection agency is attempting to repossess those parts and the Players may need to KEEP THEM by force against hired thugs seeking to claim them. Perhaps the seller is hiding from people wanting to hurt him and FINDING a paranoid seller will be a challenge.
#3 Crime is getting a helping hand. Off World agents are funding and equipping local gangs to weaken the local government as preparations for a possible invasion. LEO is being trained and siphoned off as Marines in preparation for a diplomatic worst case.
#4 The Political situation is much worse than the press is telling the people. Corsairs under letters of marque have begun destroying starships to hamper trade, increase insurance rates and draw Naval Forces into Commerce Protection. The region is on the brink of a shooting war, but panic must be avoided.

B: The Abandonded Factory is the Gang Headquarters and the location where the Electronic parts are locked up.
C: Downport has been quietly closed to locals to prevent exodus and information about "Piracy". Crews with ships discover extra security.
D: "Wild Weasel" is a mentally unstable [PTSD] psion living on the street that "hears" thoughts but cannot remember where he heard them. He has LOTS of random rumors.
E: "The Preacher" is an ex-Marine Master Sergeant who has connections to people throughout the city - rich and poor. He is all about helping the "widows and children".
F: "El Chapo" is not "Black Market" ... he is ONI retired.

In this EXAMPLE, all of the PLOT THREADS were interrelated. In OUR GAME, they will be less interrelated and less "world on the brink of war".

There WILL BE:

1. Trade Opportunities.
2. Leads on Parts for the Ship
3. Opportunities to Help People
4. Opportunities to earn cash on Side Jobs.

What actually HAPPENS depends on what the PLAYERS choose to pursue (and ignore).

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by atpollard »

I have decided to start the game on BEAU.
The main world has plenty of land, so we don’t need to start out with the extra complexity of a planet that is all water.
The high Law Level should limit the lethality of any trouble early on (more fistfights in London than gunfights in Dodge City).
The 20,000 person Independent Freeport at the local Gas Giant provides a second location IN SYSTEM for activities before the ship needs to be “Jump Ready”.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

I don't know what you see on the "Locked Topic", but I don't see a way to post. So it may be locked for non-Mods.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Starting Location

#5 Post by atpollard »

The CHARACTERS and the GAME will begin in the City of Brulantfort on the Planet BEAU (Beau System).
A map of BEAU is posted in REFERENCE.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Eris »

Whoop! Whoop! Having fun! And the game hasn't officially started yet.

I think I saw where we're all supposed to know each other or be acquainted somehow...right?

I'm playing it that Joe knows DJ from previous terms and its DJ that gave him a heads up to come here to Brulantfort for some kind of job opportunity. Is that ok with everyone? If not, I can retcon...
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by TheMyth »

Eris wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:15 pm Whoop! Whoop! Having fun! And the game hasn't officially started yet.

I think I saw where we're all supposed to know each other or be acquainted somehow...right?

I'm playing it that Joe knows DJ from previous terms and its DJ that gave him a heads up to come here to Brulantfort for some kind of job opportunity. Is that ok with everyone? If not, I can retcon...
Sounds like DJ is the hub....

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by shaidar »

I have no idea of what job you mean.

Joe has obviously got confused, he is old after all.

:)

I'm sure it'll be fine.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by atpollard »

shaidar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:19 am I have no idea of what job you mean.

Joe has obviously got confused, he is old after all.

I'm sure it'll be fine.
Funny you should mention that, DJ knows this local guy ...

(the question is: Is DJ more of a "job" guy or a "business opportunity" guy?)
  • Comm Tower needs repair
  • Refine Silver Ore and double your money (or more)
[Two leads on opportunities to make money that DJ possesses.]

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by shaidar »

I guess it depends on what the comms tower job is paying and how far away it is (i.e. transport costs)

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by atpollard »

shaidar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:31 pm :)

I guess it depends on what the comms tower job is paying and how far away it is (i.e. transport costs)
Awww ... give me SOME credit. NEITHER is a one person job that can be accomplished in a few hours for BEER money. These are "PLOT THREADS" leading the group to different sorts of adventures in different directions.
  • Something ATE the last comm repair crew, so the company is sort of willing to throw money at someone that is willing to fix it (PS. how are y'all in Arctic Climates?)
  • Perhaps starting a business that can continue to earn the group money for years to come is more your "style". It will take knowledge, work and some skills (technical, people and merchant) to set it up, but entrepreneurs are high risk, high gain individuals that know how to seize opportunities when they come knocking.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by shaidar »

Sorry, all I was thinking at the time was that some opportunities might be bigger than others, with some shorter jobs for a smaller rewards, which we might need to boost cash for bigger opportunities. Sometimes I suck at communicating what I mean.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by atpollard »

shaidar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:42 pm Sorry, all I was thinking at the time was that some opportunities might be bigger than others, with some shorter jobs for a smaller rewards, which we might need to boost cash for bigger opportunities. Sometimes I suck at communicating what I mean.
It's OK ... I was mostly "pulling your leg beard" ;) [a reference to your picture.] :lol:
I just wanted to give YOU (player) some information so DJ (character) had something to say when everyone descended on him expecting DJ to have a plan.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by shaidar »

8-) That's appreciated, no doubt they'll will be grilling him soon.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by TheMyth »

Any word from the others?

Or have we dwindled to three?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by atpollard »

TheMyth wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:42 pm Any word from the others?

Leitz had to drop out due to real life time issues.
We are waiting for Gorethirster to respond, but he had no idea that there was a soft start, so we will wait until after the weekend to start panicking about him.

Four characters works out well. A SEEKER has four staterooms and I based the initial stats for the MicroTrader on a Seeker. That saves me revising it to add two more half staterooms. I like smaller groups.

If it falls below four, we will invite one of the people on the waiting list.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by TheMyth »

atpollard wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:23 pm
TheMyth wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:42 pm Any word from the others?

Leitz had to drop out due to real life time issues.
We are waiting for Gorethirster to respond, but he had no idea that there was a soft start, so we will wait until after the weekend to start panicking about him.

Four characters works out well. A SEEKER has four staterooms and I based the initial stats for the MicroTrader on a Seeker. That saves me revising it to add two more half staterooms. I like smaller groups.

If it falls below four, we will invite one of the people on the waiting list.
Awesome!

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Gorethirster »

Wait, we started?(!) My bad! Two of the classes I teach had exams yesterday, so I haven't been paying much attention to this. I'll get Ether geared up by Monday. Sorry!

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by atpollard »

Gorethirster wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:04 pm Wait, we started?(!) My bad! Two of the classes I teach had exams yesterday, so I haven't been paying much attention to this. I'll get Ether geared up by Monday. Sorry!
Nothing earth shattering. I just created an IN CHARACTER topic and posted a bit of an intro to give the characters a chance to interact before we start any serious activities. So it is just people arriving and meeting in a bar.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Eris »

Internet problems, I'll be back when I can get them fixed. Sorry.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”