Chapter 4: Strange Pursuit

jemmus
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 4: Strange Pursuit

#21 Post by Thumper »

DT speaks in his deep rumbling voice:

Well, that’s interesting. Up top that hill was a rider. Wasn’t dressed much like a cow puncher or a sod buster...the type I’d expect off road in these hills. Rode off back over the crest when he saw that we saw him. Best keep alert.

He’ll keep his carbine handy whenever the group is stopped to rest.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by ateno »

"Well he knew we saw him and vice versa, I expect he could be a scout for the ambushers. Not sure if we should chase him the the light of day. We could go up there and look around a bit and see if they set up here or not.

What do you think DT?"

Doos

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Thumper »

DT:

Ya know, that a great idea, Doos. Might not be anything. But this road had been dangerous lately.

What would you think about riding on out of view around that hill then ride uphill and circle back along backside of that crest? If we ride straight up there now, there’ll be no surprising anybody…and we’d be at a disadvantage to the high ground.

Won’t lose hardly any time if we double back on ‘em and it turns out to be nothin’.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by ateno »

Thumper wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:50 pm DT:

Ya know, that a great idea, Doos. Might not be anything. But this road had been dangerous lately.

What would you think about riding on out of view around that hill then ride uphill and circle back along backside of that crest? If we ride straight up there now, there’ll be no surprising anybody…and we’d be at a disadvantage to the high ground.

Won’t lose hardly any time if we double back on ‘em and it turns out to be nothin’.

"Sounds good, Andreas? William?"
Doos

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#25 Post by Thumper »

DT

But for now, how ‘bout we just rest and water the horses and act naturally? When we leave, we just mosey on up the road until out of sight then come on back around?.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by cybersavant »

Andreas Larson "I vhill go ahead a pace und see vhat's over der. Vhun of you circle und the rest follow." He looks around at the others for consent or alternatives.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by redwarrior »

William says that makes sense. I'd rather spring an ambush than be sprung on. as his eyes sweep the trail and the brush looking for signs of danger.

Observation target 15 [1d20]=13

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by jemmus »

The riders on the road from Austin to Burnet pause in the shade of a creek to water their horses, drink from their canteen, dismount and refill them with Texas Hill Country spring-fed creek water, and discuss. They agree that their best eyes-- Andreas-- will top the hill horseback and take a look for the red-haired stranger. While Doos, DT, and William ride around the crest and be ready to observe, flank, and surprise. Quiet for once Gideon stares forward from the saddle and says, Ah'd say yup. Lead on, and ya won't find me laggin. Le's go!

Andreas moves first and tops the hill, and sees below a tiny little creek below the hills, fed by tiny runlets. The rider is on it, and his dark horse is drinking from the stream. The man is wiping his face with a cool wet kerchief. He senses he's being observed, looks over his shoulder, stands and raises a right hand in the frontier gesture of peace and greeting.
The dark horse abruptly stops drinking and looks behind at the strange horses and riders as well.
Last edited by jemmus on Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by cybersavant »

Andreas Larson returns the gesture and glances around before leading his horse forward.

gaming since 1980

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by Thumper »

DT:
Upon seeing the same rider alone and apparently a non-threat, DT will slow his horse to a walk and hang back a bit then stop and wait as Andreas makes his approach. He’ll position himself about 50 feet away, weapons sheathed, he’ll touch the brim of his hat in greeting and nod. “G’mornin”.

Remaining alert, to surroundings he’ll stand overwatch on Andreas and Doos as they move closer to converse with the redhead. Left hand with reins resting on his saddle horn as he looks around (trying to appear casual) but his right hand resting in his lap poised to cross draw his Peacemaker

Can DT see the brand on the stranger’s horse from here?

Surroundings:
Obs 15: [1d20]=14

Trees cleared from road:
Tree Obs 25: [1d20]=19
Last edited by Thumper on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by ateno »

Doos follows, looking for trails and anything else.

Surroundings Obs [1d20]=14 Construction [1d20]=17

Doos

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by jemmus »

William?
PCs

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by redwarrior »

William knees his horse to the opposite side from DT and likewise hangs back and watches the interaction with the stranger, bit giving more of his attention to the surrounding terrain, fearful that this is some sort of a trap.

Observation target 15 [1d20]=4

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by jemmus »

The riders note that the man is wearing a pistol belt and has a carbine sheathed by his saddle. There's a bedroll lashed behind his saddle. Good morning, he says. Ye've come to call on me this fine Sunday morning? He has an accent. Irish? Or Scottish maybe? I wonder why ye've wandered off of the highway? And I suppose ye may be wonderin the same about me. In case you're wonderin, I haven't got hardly two pennies to rub together. Not hardly worth the cost of the lead and powder to send a man to his maker.

Gideon spits tobacco juice to the ground. Not seemingly out of disrespect or to make any kind of statement. Seems it was just time for a man with chaw in his cheek to spit.
Last edited by jemmus on Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by ateno »

"Just strange to see a man ready to go waiting on a overlooking ridge. I'm Judge Doos, we are heading to the little town down the trail.
How you doing."

Doos will look for evidence of a long term camp and smell of a cut trench for waste.

Doos

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#36 Post by Thumper »

With Doos and Andreas having the situation in hand, DT will rein his horse to walk a circle about 50 feet out scanning mostly outside, but also inside the circle. Looking for tracks or anything to cause him concern.
Last edited by Thumper on Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by cybersavant »

jemmus wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:41 am The riders note that the man is wearing a pistol belt and has a carbine sheathed by his saddle. Ye've come to call on me this fine Sunday morning? I wonder why ye've wandered off of the highway? And I suppose ye may be wonderin the same about me.
Andreas Larson nods at the man as he saunters his horse onward. "Brave to be on your own in der vhilderness."
gaming since 1980

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by redwarrior »

William continues to keep his distance for now, on the alert, in case this man is somehow bait for a trap.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by Thumper »

Not recalling anything said about an Irishman or Scotsman reportedly running with either the Duncan gang or the Shepherd Brothers, DTs circling inspection of the area is just a precautionary search.

He’s quite interested to hear the new man’s explanation of being out here alone.

He’ll mutter something about “Commanches and stage robbers been running here abouts. Out here alone is kinda hazardous to one’s health…and hairline”

He grins. Of course he’s about 50 feet out, so his voice is raised loud enough to be heard but without shouting.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by jemmus »

The man replies, Stage robbers, eh? I'm goin to gamble that you're not those stage robbers. Because if you were, you'd have already robbed me, instead of circlin and standin off at a defensive distance. And I'm goin to also guess that you're lookin for those stage robbers. Because you're five men on the road to little Burnett, carrying nothin but guns. And I'm goin to gamble again and tell ya that I'm on the trail of an outlaw named Sam Bass. When I find him-- which shouldn't be long from now-- I may need the help of men like yourselves. If you'd be interested.
PCs

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”