Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: The mystery of Odlo Hillhouse

#41 Post by Stirling »

Yarnold

Yarnold: critical hit table [1d4-1]=4-1=3

Yarnold: bonus damage from critical strike [1d3]=3

Doing -6hp in total with a stunning strike of his blade upon a Spider-toad's head, striking one between its bulging eyes.

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by CAI4 »

Bilberta, dwarven apothecarist

Bilberta quickly shifts over to Wencleslas and quietly says "I've got your back" before attempting to strike the nearest spider with her cudgel.

Sisyphus, Hunter

Sisyphus aggressively shifts his body back and forth in an attempt to break free from his less than desirable situation as he screams Get this damn thing away from me! still seemingly petrified by the surprise attack.

Radahn, Conman

Radahn takes a couple paces towards the arachnid, pauses for a second of deliberation, then draws his dagger and flings it at the spider that has just captured Rolf

Radahn seems more upset with his lost dagger than he does his missed target

Margit, Gravedigger

Margit picks up his shovel and attempts to plunge it into the head of the spider who entrapped Sully, uttering a silent "About time I use this for something fun"

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by gurusql »

Ayre

Ayre will attempt to attack the nearest toad thing with his Staff

Init [1d20]=2
Staff [1d20]=8 Damage [1d4]=4

Baye

Baye will drop the torch and attack the nearest creature with his stick (8 STR show this should have been -1 to hit)

Init [1d20]=5
Stick (as club) [1d20]=20 Damage [1d4-1]=4-1=3
Crit Effect [_1d4]=(2)=2

Cotgric

Cotgric will use his hammer to attempt the smash the nearest creature

Init [1d20]=3
Hammer (as club) [1d20]=16 Damage [1d4]=3

Duala

Duala will us her pitchfork on the nearest toad-spider.

Init [1d20]=17
Pitchfork (as spear) [1d20]=13 Damage [1d8]=8

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by AleBelly »

The adventurers go to work freeing their three bound comrades as the toad-spiders dash for the walls!

Rimilda, perhaps too eager to join the fray, misses the spider clutching Sully, as the elf struggles in vain to loose his sticky bonds. Bilberta, part of the vanguard, is too slow to act and her cudgel thumps the ground after the spider skitters past.

The farmers of the group - Palmero and Duala - stride toward the spiders close to them. Both feel a satisfying *pop* as the tines of their weapons pierce the carapace of the spider and draw a thick red ichor! (-7 hp and -8 hp from the spiders carrying Sisyphus and Rolf, respectively) Yarnold, not known around Clearwater for his strength, drives a devastating blow with his longsword 3+3 = 6 hp! between the eyes of the spider monstrosity. Its legs fail as it continues to run forward, releasing Rolf and crashing to the floor, lifeless.

Hunwald dashes towards the spider holding Sully, but his torch attack misses its mark. The spider, annoyed by the torch and Sully's struggling, bites at the elven navigator in his grasp but misses!

Spider bite Sully [1d24+2]=4+2=6, damage [1d4]=1 - Note that the spider rolled on a d24 - per DCC combat rules attacks on an entangled foe are given the bonus of using one die higher on the dice chain.

Sisyphus continues to scream but cannot free his bonds. Bobwhite yells along with Sisyphus, ordering the spider to free his friend as he hacks into its hard exterior with the deft hand of a chicken butcher. The toad spider croaks a hiss or a moan...it's impossible to tell which.

Xerxes swats futilely at the unharmed spider carrying Sully, but Wenceslas the dwarven miner finally lands a hit on the creature, piercing its side with his pick! -4 hp!.

Wenyld and Margit both miss their targets as Nordman loads his sling with a stone. He whips it at the spider carrying Sisyphus just as the creature reaches the wall and begins to climb up. The stone hits the center of the toad skull with a solid thunk and it falls to the ground, dead.

Zygmund quickly thumbs through his grimoire. While this tome contains writing that only pertains to magic, the book does stir memories from a previous learning. (Stirling, pm heading your way.)

Deuteria, seeing Rolf out of danger, advances on the Sully-clutching spider and drives her dagger into the side of her foe -3 hp!. Baye smacks it - hard! - in the eye 3+3 = -6 hp! and Cotgric finishes it off with a hammer blow worthy of a dwarven stonemason!

Hanson, keeping watch on the tunnel entrance and above, still has concerns that he can't fully see the ceiling. Climbing 10' should do the trick. Scanning the walls, he sees a reasonable path with a slight overhang that would favor a strong ally Strength DC check of 5 and a path a nimble and agile climber could use Agility DC check of 5. Note that these checks would be done with a 1d10 unless your occupation would reasonably give a PC an advantage - Level 1 thieves would make this check at 1d20.

The party managed to survive their first battle with no casualties! Those pitchforks and crits were awesome - congrats! As their adrenaline falls to more normal levels, they identify the glint from the dusty cavern floor as a broken pair of Odlo's spectacles. Despite the recent scuffle you still think you can make out his footprints heading to a web-covered wall on the opposite side of the cavern to which you entered. The webs appear to breathe, but upon a few seconds' observation (along with flickering torchlight), you see an opening in the cavern wall to another tunnel. Odlo must have gone in this direction.

Actions?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Stirling »

W, X, Y, Z

With the Spider-toads defeated, Zygmund hums his little ditty again and goes to check out one of the amphibious arachnoid's body. He scribbles a few more notes from his observations, poking at the creature's bulbous eyes and wide, fang filled mouth.

"I wouldn't mind taking a toady-tongue, a long elastic grappling appendage." He will careful cut one free, rolling it up in a pouch.

"My recollection of similar fantasy monstrosities are that they are the result of demonic oppression and sorcery." he says, fascinated by the discovery.

Xerxes, hearing this begins to cross himself with his holy symbol, uttering a prayer for himself and the group. "Perhaps Odio dug too greedily and too deep. We don't know what the may have awoke in the darkness, a nightmare of shadow and flame." the solemn gravedigging doomsayer whispers. He gets out a votive candle, lighting it and placing it on a nearby ledge or a stalagmite. "Let us kneel in prayer and commit our ways to Ulesh, that he may guide our paths and strengthen our resolve.

Join me if you will in a short rosary."

He intones a repetition of blessed church verses that he has heard spoken over many a grave, the dirge echoing monotonously as he holds up his holy symbol to call forth divine blessing on the rescue endeavour.

Yarnold ignores the invitation to pray, at heart, worshipper of 'Mammon'. Wencelas mumbles, saying an "Amen" at an appropriate time.

Once the group are ready; prayers said and Spider-toad tongue harvested, they will press on in file behind the others.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by gurusql »

Ayre, Baye, Cotgric, Duala

Duala with a new sense of confidence she will gather her band back together.

Baye will recover his torch and once he makes sure that they others that where bound are no longer bound he will light the nearest web with his torch.

Ayre and Cotgric are ready to go with this latest trick from Baye.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rex »

Hunwald, Nordman, Rimilda, & Wenyld

Hunwald

"That all happened really quick like." He gets back in order with his torch.

Nordman

Nordman examines the monstrosities. "Something very weird here." He continues along as before.

Rimilda

"That was exciting." Looking the spider/toads over up close. "They smell awful up close." She continues along like before.

Wenyld

"Glad we didn't loose anyone, it was close for a second there." She follows along as before.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Marullus »

Rolf solemnly clasps both Duala and Yarnold on their shoulders, his expression of earnest gratitude. "Thank you. I will not forget that you have both saved me." He strictly collects his axe and cleans off the strands of webbing.

Deuteria and her dagger also examine the monstrous corpses. Unlike Zygmund she offers no commentary, instead delicately popping out their bulbous spiderfrog eyes into her sack with delicate but grim efficiency.

Hailey tucks her skirts and kneels next to Xerxes, reciting the prayers with him in a whisper. Her rattled nerves soothe with the comfortable repetition.

Bobwhite picks up the glasses, regarding them thoughtfully, tucking them into his small chest for now. He then goes to the blowing curtain of webbing by the tunnel exit and peers through with his sharp eyes into the darkness.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#49 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Legless pokes at one of the dead monstrosities with his staff. "How does something like this actually occur in nature?"

Palmero wipes off his fork tines, shaking his head. "These things aint natural."

Neither strong nor agile, Hanson thinks about clambering up the ledges anyway. He looks at the area a nimble person might attempt, giving the climb a try himself. Random D10 [1d10]=10 :lol:

Sully wipes the filth from his clothes, thanking all those who had a hand in saving him. "We need to be wary of things like this from now on." He tries to toss one of the lit torches up to a higher ledge to see if that helps illuminate the unseen portions of the ceiling.

All characters ready to continue if that's the group consensus.

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by CAI4 »

Sisyphus, near tears, thanks Palmero and Nordman. "Thank you thank you! I was so scared...". He saves special affection for Bobwhite, thanking him to as he embraces the hobbit. He then joins those praying to Ulesh, finding comfort in the group.

Bilberta approaches Rolf, swallowing her dwarven pride. "Sorry I wasn't much help there with the spider that had you. My club will strike true next time." She joins the group praying to Ulesh.

Margit kneels quietly, away from the others, engaged in a prayer of his own.

Radahn retrieves his dagger. As he watches Sully clean the strands off his clothes, he offers "Need any help with that?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by AleBelly »

In the aftermath of the short battle, party members pray to Ulesh (and other deities) and show gratitude to their fellow adventurers while other collect body parts of their conquered foes (please update your character sheets). Inspection of the bodies reveal nothing unusual. Well, at least nothing more unusual than a man-sized spider with a toad's dagger-fanged head.

As next moves are pondered, Hanson deftly climbs 10' up the cavern wall to get a better look at the ceiling. Sully tosses him a torch and the leather-clad outlaw holds it aloft, illuminating the ceiling of the cavern. Webbing spans the space between the stalactites, supporting three web-wrapped shapes the size of grown men. The torch also illuminates a ledge near the ceiling, beyond which appears to be a room leading into the recesses of the cavern. He charts a path forward with his eyes and sees a path that could be easily trod with care (single file) to access the ceiling and new area.

Bobwhite collects Odlo's broken glasses and heads towards the unexplored tunnel. Baye burns away the webs covering the mouth of the tunnel. They burn more slowly than expected, perhaps due to the damp, cool air rising from the tunnel. This tunnel, just like the one they descended, slopes downwards. Bobwhite can see about 15' down into the tunnel, where it winds to the left out of sight. Near the turn the stone floor and walls (which to Bobwhite's eyes look similarly hewn to the previous dwarven-dug tunnel) look to be slightly more damp.

I also forgot to add: each PC is awarded 1 xp.

You have three options - climb to the ceiling of the cavern, go back the way you came through the tunnel going up, or go down into the tunnel Bobwhite has inspected.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rex »

Hunwald

Holding his torch up, "We should check out the ceiling area and see what we find up there, maybe those cocoons have someone still alive in them."

Nordman

"Some of us should watch the other exits while others search."

Rimilda

"I can watch an exit."

Wenyld

"I can climb up and search if need be."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#53 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sully tosses the rope he just found up to Hanson as well, who looks for a place to secure it before the others attempt to climb up. "Looks like these webbed up blokes is done for, but I'll try to get over to em anyway." After tying off the rope, Hansen attempts to get closer to the figures to see if they are still moving or breathing.

Sully will attempt the climb once the rope is in place. Roll? "The spider toads may have stashed important items up here."

Legless moves to where the others are burning away the webs, marking a large X on the wall with his chalk stick.

Palmero watches in all directions, awaiting his turn on the rope. "Perhaps we have already found our quarry?" He points to the cocoons, wondering if any are Odlo, since his glasses were found directly below. Or possibly even deputy Kelvran, since he never returned either.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by AleBelly »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:11 pm
Sully will attempt the climb once the rope is in place. Roll? "The spider toads may have stashed important items up here."
Hanson sees a good place to set up a boot belay, where he can wrap the rope around his waist and guide others up to the ledge he's on (no roll needed for climbers). He also sees a stubby rock horn he could tie the rope off on, but he's not sure it will support heavy weight. So, he can belay others up to the ledge (which can fit about 10 PCs) with no risk of falling. He can also tie off the rope to the horn and others can ascend that way but there's a risk of the horn fracturing under the weight of the climber (d20 luck check 6 for humans, 4 for elves/dwarves, halflings no problem). I'll assume he belays climbers up then ties off the rope unless I hear otherwise.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Marullus »

"Odlo must have gone in this direction." pipes up Bobwhite pointing to the faint footprints and through the webbing into the tunnel with a sweep of his arm. He peers into the darkness. "It bends left out of sight a little while down, more of the old-dwarf work, but... its damp down there, the air humid, too." He continues to peer down the hallway while the others work.

"After we check those coccoons we shall proceed down the tunnel further," states Deuteria with a firm nod. She goes to join Sully and Hanson, providing helpful advice and keen eyes to make sure nothing is missed. Once the rope is belayed, she climbs up to apply her expert eye (well acquainted with the eldritch and mysterious) to the contents of the alcove.

Rolf clasps Bilberta on the shoulder warmly as well. "We have time yet for both our blows to strike true... hopefully next time I'm not the damsel to be rescued."

Finishing earnest prayers and finding so many hands busy with the task, Hailey watches quietly, particularly the alcove above to make sure nothing else surprises us by emerging from it. She stands by Deuteria, in orbit of the more assertive woman.

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by CAI4 »

Margit listens to the conversations of his fellow party members and silently says "I say we trudge deeper" he has a look of juvenile joy on his face that has not yet been seen up to this point.

Radahn stands tall and straight before yelling "I'm one for democracy, I say we all cast votes as to our next moves, though I must say I'm one for turning back" Radahn then retreats into a more conservative posture as he cleans off his dagger, seemingly waiting for responses to his suggestion

Bilberta looks at Rolf and says "Aye, tis nothing to fret about. I could very well be the damsel next time, I'm just glad we have each other's backs"

Sisyphus after taking considerable time to stop the seemingly endless quivering caused by the shocking sight of the spiders, Sisyphus stands up and says "Glad everyone is okay, I'm happy to explore the cocoons, I doubt it's the last time we'll run into these amphibious arachnid bastards.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Stirling »

W, X, Y, Z

"Going up or going down? Unless the Spider-toads paralyse victims to eat later, I would conclude any bulging web sac is either a dead body or a nest of eggs!" Zygmund suggests, advising caution and possibly just burning the webs wholesale.

"Prodding with a pitchfork first might tell you what the sacs contain." He doesn't stand underneath the webs in case disturbing them causes hatchling spiders-toads to fall.

When the tunnel is checked, Wenceslas peers down. "Slightly more damp?" He wonders the cause. Just water run off or mossy lichens and fungi?

He takes a scarf or handkerchief, fixing it across his mouth and nose to filter any foreign and debilitating spores.

"We can search through here while others go above. Bobwhite, are you following?" The dwarf is fine pressing ahead, Xerxes behind him, the gravedigger using his long handled shovel to prod and test the ground, especially if they hit a boggy patch. "We have prayed and found divine favour I am sure. I asked for us not to be lead into temptation and to be delivered from any wiles of the evil one." he encourages the faithful congregants who prayed at the votive candle with him, his holy symbol resting now as a medallion around his neck.

Yarnold draws his longsword, cutting aside any sticky webs that veil the passage, he files behind the others, Zygmund with firebrand and notebook for mapping behind him.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by gurusql »

Ayre, Baye, Cotgric, Duala

Cotgric pulls out his rope and grappling hook and will try and throw up to get a good place to climb up.

[1d20-1]=4-1=3

Ayre will be sure to watch the flight of the grappling hook as he dislikes and would not want some one his head.

Baye will continue to watch with her torch in hand.

Duala will wonder what it takes to pull this group together and watches for something bad to happen while the band is now moving. "Let us get going"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Marullus »

Stirling wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:12 am "Unless the Spider-toads paralyse victims to eat later, I would conclude any bulging web sac is either a dead body or a nest of eggs!" Zygmund suggests, advising caution and possibly just burning the webs wholesale.
"That is precisely why i shall look," quips back Deuteria from where she clambers up the single file pathway, "Eggs would be most fortuitous." She prevents any proactive burning.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by AleBelly »

I like the links your players are making with one another - keep it up!

Just to make sure I'm understanding intentions:

Climbing to the ledge and walking the narrow path to the ceiling
Hanson
Hunwald
Wenyld
Sully
Palmero
Deuteria
Hailey
Sisyphus

Proceeding down the tunnel
Margit
Wenceslas (with face covered)
Xerxes
Yarnold
Zygmund
Rolf

Guarding entrances or keeping watch around the cavern: all others.

An update is coming tomorrow mid day so please correct this beforehand. Thanks!

Editing this corrections are received...

Return to “The Would-Be Heroes of Clearwater (DCC)”