Chapter 1: The mystery of Odlo Hillhouse

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 1: The mystery of Odlo Hillhouse

#1 Post by AleBelly »

Your village of Clearwater is the only home that any of you have ever known. You are not adventurers, rather woodcutters, farmers and shoe-cobblers; blacksmiths and poultry-farmers who form the backbone of this peaceful and secluded borderland village.

Just last week, one of your neighbors - a portly halfling by the name of Odlo Hillhouse - was digging into the side of the hill to enlarge his food pantry before the coming winter, for the winters are rough here in Clearwater. His shovel unearthed a long-buried tunnel. No one even knew that the halfling had discovered the mysterious passageway until he was finally noticed missing three days later. Kelvran, the deputy of the town guard, investigated the matter, and with lantern in hand descended downward into the tunnel to bring Odlo Hillhouse back. Three more days have passed, and neither of your fellow villagers has returned from his descent into the darkness.

So here you are, gathered together at the Tale and Tankard* in your work aprons and muddy boots, holding shovels and sheep-shearing knives, to form a makeshift search party. Odlo’s hillside home is no more than a five minute walk from here. Should you anticipate needing any sundry items for the task, this would be the most opportune time to acquire them from the tavern’s stores, providing you can gather a few copper coins for the purchase. After that, you and your fellow citizens should tighten your belts, hold your makeshift weapons close, and make the short journey to meet whatever fate awaits at Odlo Hillhouse’s hillside home.

*The Tale and Tankard is one of two taverns in Clearwater. But this one is more popular as it is run by halflings and has the better food and drink.

Once character sheets are posted we can start. If you want to let me know the order in which your four PCs are walking feel free to post it.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: The mystery of Odlo Hillhouse

#2 Post by Rex »

Hunwald

Gear purchased, ready to go. Has 3 torches for a light source as well as a flask of oil and flint & steel.

"Ready as ever we should get moving soon."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Nordman

Sold mirror. Gear purchased, ready to go. Has 3 torches & flint & steel. Added a sling and stones.

"Agreed, I am ready."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Rimilda

Gear purchased, ready to go. Has 3 torches for a light source and flint & steel.

"Yes, I am ready."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Wenyld

Gear purchased, ready to go. Has 3 torches & flint & steel.

"I too am ready"

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by gurusql »

Ayre

Sold his lantern and purchased sack, torches, flint & steel and a crowbar. He is ready to go.

Baye

Purchase Tinder box and torches. He is ready to go.

Cotgric

Purchased Rope. He is ready to go.

Duala

Duala will leave her hen at home. She will purchase a sack, chalk, some torches and flint and steel. She is ready to go.

The will be walking in the order of Duala, Ayre, Cotgric, Baye

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Stirling »

W,X,Y,Z

Stoic and steadfast community members, gathered in the tavern and draining the last frothy dregs before gathering themselves and their wits together.

Wenceslas, a dwarf miner by trade. He is keen to add his tunneling knowledge to any assessments of this new found tunnel.

Xerxes, a devout and quiet man. He has seen much death in his time albeit as part and parcel of his grave digger trade. "I buries them deep enough so they don't crawl their way back out." he utters in deep monotone whispers. His hands constantly fidget upon a holy symbol that he wears around his neck betraying his fear that perhaps deep ain't deep enough and some indeed have crawled their way out. Proficient with large shovel, he lends strength and stamina to any digging folk out of tunnel collapses and deadfalls.

Yarnold, bossy, scheming; a small moustachioed man with 'small man' syndrome. Tax collecting and customs revenue on behalf of Mayor and Duchy give him a raised standing in the community that his belligerent nature and 5'3" do not. "Enlarged pantry, doubles his storage and warehousing and rateable value for tax Odlo knew the rules and planning permissions." he comments, hoping beyond hope that his initial reporting of any discovery of mineral rich ore veins or gemstone motherlodes might stand him in good stead with senior bureaucrats.

Zygmund completes the eclectic quartet. An apprentice to a wizened sage; the gaunt, sickly beanpole excels only in his grasp of the Orcish tongue and with fears that such humanoids may be sheltering in subterranean caverns and planning new barbarous raids, he has been seconded to lend his gifts to any rescue posse.

if we are funnelling as my quartet act together rather than we each have one character in separate groups, then I will initially advance in W,X,Y,Z file.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

Purchases:
Hailey - 50' rope
Bobwhite - 2 days rations, 2 pieces chalk
Rolf - 1 large sack, 4 torches
Deuteria - 1 large sack, flint and steel, 6 candles

"Quite right," agrees Deuteria as Yarnold speaks, aligning herself with the adminstrator. At the house, she quirks an eyebrow at the rabble and then raises her voice officiously over the din. "Alright then, let's get together, let's get together. You, strong guards, at the front. We don't want any trouble. Yes, you there, let's spread out the torches so we all have light. Does anyone have a lantern? To the front, to the front. Let us light up any sites of lore before we trample them..." She asserts herself immediately behind the tough sorts and lantern.

Rolf the woodcutter walks with the group from the tavern, he dutifully came with an axe and a torch. He speaks with the family in halfling to comfort them and get what details he can, then steps to the front of the group as they approach the tunnel at the rear of the pantry. "I can go first," he says, looking around at the rag-tag band.

Bobwhite sits to the side in the tavern, avoiding attention. He has a small chest tucked under one arm, his handaxe tucked in his belt, some white feathers stuck to it. Whe the group sets out, he wraps up a napkin full of leftover bread and cheese and then slides into the middle, too curious to remain behind.

Hailey ties up her pony outside of Odlo's house, timid in her approach to the large crowd. "I... I think... if there's a cave-in or blockage, then Wallflower and I can pull. I brought a rope." She falls quiet, hopeful only that she can help the portly hobbit. She cradles the fine glass vial of holy water in hands, clasping it like a talisman against what may lie ahead.

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by CAI4 »

Bilberta, dwarven apothecarist

Sold 10' Chain, Purchased Oil Flask, armed with cudgel (Used as club), Purchased Padded Armor and a Shield -

Bilberta looks to Rolf and politely nods as he offers to take up the front.

Margit, Grave Digger

Purchased an empty flask and flint and steel; Armed with a shovel with the occupation of gravedigger.

Margit leans himself against a nearby wall and turns partially away from the party.

Sisyphus, Hunter

Purchased eight days of rations and is armed with a short bow.

Sisyphus smiles upon introducing himself to the group as he says "Greetings friends! I hope you are all equally as excited to explore the happenings in that wretched house as I".

Radahn, Conman -

Purchased eight days of rations and is armed with a dagger.

Radahn subtly rolls his eyes upon Sisyphus' statement, then states "Ah yes, can't wait to disappear like the rest of those twats".

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The well known and gregarious human turnip farmer Palmero walks into the Tale and Tankard dressed in his customary muddy overalls, tapping his pitchfork on the floor with a duck of all things secured tightly under one arm. He listens to the conversations going on before adding his opinions to the mix. "I know a little something about digging in the dirt."

Behind him walks Hanson, a rather unscrupulous human fellow around town, wearing leather armor with a shortsword strapped to his belt. Out of all the members present so far, he looks like one of the few who have ever done this kind of thing before. He too listens in on the conversations. "If'n ye needs a hired hand ta do the really dirty werk, then I's yer man!"

A tall, grizzled elf proudly saunters inside next, known around town as a former navigator of sorts. He is armed with a short bow and carries a spyglass, an unusual holy symbol to an unknown sea god dangling from his neck. "Arrrrrrr we all ready to get to it then? Sully's here, so let's get the voyage started, shall we?"

Lastly, an elf with muddy wooden poles where his legs should be stumbles over the threshold of the tavern, leaning heavily on his staff and using it as a crutch. The victim of a terrible forestry accident where a tree fell across his body, crushing his real legs, the elf was from then on known only as Legless the Elf. He has a backpack filled with what appears to be adventuring gear, apparently ready to make a new name for himself, hoping it won't be Headless or something like that. "So were off to see where this hole in the ground leads then? Do we have any means to locate our lost friends other than our own senses? I don't suppose anyone has a good bloodhound we could borrow?"

Sorry for the delay here. :oops:

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by AleBelly »

As you commiserate in the Tale and Tankard, you feel yourselves the object of genuine wonder from your townsfolk. You sense they both admire your bravery and find your willingness to put yourself in peril a bit puzzling. Several townsfolk offer their opinions or try to contribute to your new cause in their own way:

“I’ve been by there in the wee hours and I’ve seen the light from inside and I heard the digging. He’s up to something. It’s time his secret was revealed.”

What a fine fellow he was! Or is… it’s sad to think something might have happened to the little bloke. If you are going to search for him, please take him these biscuits… he’s sure to be starving. Up to you if you take three wrapped biscuits. If you do, let me know who takes them.

Another comes up you whispering:

“Speak of this to no one…The halfling came to me in a dream. I swear it to be true! His face was pale and his eyes were empty but he sat upon a great treasure, singing and laughing. He was happy and sad, all at the same time…”

The party begins to organize itself under a couple potential leaders. They pay not a copper for their food and drink, and as they begin to depart, three hobbits take the stage, one with a flute, another with a lute. The third, Ludmilla, joins them and hushes the din of the tavern before addressing you all:

"Friends, thank you for undertaking the task of searching for our beloved Odlo...and Kelvran of course! We offer this song as a token of our gratitude. May it fill your hearts with hope and love if you find yourselves in peril"

In Clearwater's embrace, under the sky so blue,
We see you gather, a toast to you.
May luck be a companion on your quest,
In every step, may you be truly blessed.

Oh, friends dear, with hearts so light,
May your journey be joyous, and fortune bright.
As you venture forth, under rock and stone,
Luck be your guide, you are not alone.

Through meadows green and forests old,
May tales of courage in your hearts be told.
With each footfall, may courage grow,
And may the winds of luck gently blow.

In the company of friends, strong and true,
May laughter and merriment follow you.
With the warmth of camaraderie so rare,
May fortune smile upon this fellowship fair.

So here's to our friends, brave and free,
May your path be filled with revelry.
As you raise your glasses, in fellowship bind,
Good luck to all, in the journey you find.

In the Shire's embrace, where stories are spun,
May your adventure be second to none.
With good luck and cheer, on this special day,
A hobbit's wish for your journey, hooray!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by AleBelly »

After a round of applause, the party leaves the Tale and Tankard with slaps on the back and well wishes from their townsfolk. Under the fading light of the setting sun, they make the short journey to Odlo's abode.

Hailey ties up her trusty pony Wallflower outside Odlo's house, and the party steels their resolve as they face his dwelling. The orange twilight casts a soft glow upon the hand-carved walnut door set into the hillside. No light is burning from within. Odlo dug his pantry inside the walls of his home so that he would not have to walk in the frigid snows of winter; within, you will need to go.

The house is dark - no light shines from within.

Actions? Feel free to roleplay on your short journey to your destination.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Stirling »

W,X,Y,Z

"We should go first to glean what we can from his desk. Any diary or logbook with his tunnelling and mapping notes.

How he intended to shore up the passages and create his storage vault. He might have interesting musings on what he found as he began digging."

Yarnold suggests, in keeping with his bookkeeping nature. The request fits in with Wenceslas mining considerations as he considers such thoughts as shafts, depths, ventilations; part and parcel of his everyday work.

"Agreed then." the quartet make a decision to scour the dwelling of Odlo for any office room, desks or shelves for notebooks and ledgers that might shed light on the passage construction before we enter it in ignorance.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Hunwald, Ostler

"I can be a torch bearer."

Nordman, Wizards Apprentice

Nordman appears sort of sickly and clumsy both. "I can look over any notes too."

Rimilda, Herbalist

"We should get moving into the tunnel soon, the longer we wait the worse it will be."

Wenyld, Orphan

"We should all stay together, I think splitting up would be bad."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

If you are going to search for him, please take him these biscuits… he’s sure to be starving. Up to you if you take three wrapped biscuits.If you do, let me know who takes them.
"He is a dear friend," replies Bobwhite sympathetically, appearing at the woman's elbow out of nowhere. His deft fingers pluck the corners of the napkin and are ensconcing the biscuits and tucking them away as he nods earnestly to her. "I will make sure he gets some when we find him, don't worry. "

Deuteria organizes together Rolf, Bilberta, Hanson, and then Hunwald with his torch, a promising Vanguard, and finds the pantry and tunnel. "Quite right," she agrees with Rimilda, smiling to her and walking side by side behind the others. Hailey is swept up with them, making a trio - she agrees to light and carry one of Rolf's torches at the rear. "No job is done until it is begun. Let us see what we're dealing with." She is glad to leave Nordman behind as he rummages papers. Her rival Apprentice has always been too timid and that is why she will always prevail. Secret knowledge will be in the tunnel not the hobbit's recipe collection.

Bobwhite is in no hurry to reach the tunnel. While the others divide between office and pantry, he wanders the house munching on a buttery biscuit, his keen eye looking for anything peculiar and curious that he can tuck into his chest to be useful later.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Before going into any tunnels, Sully looks around the home intently, especially in the kitchen area, knowing hobbits and their love for hiding precious things in their cookie jars. "The woman who saw Odlo in her dream..... if she speaks the truth, it doesn't sound like things ended very well for him." The grizzled elf grips his holy symbol tightly, wondering if they will find anything unnatural.

Hanson lights a torch, heading directly into the tunnel, alone if necessary. "There aint gonna be nuthin in this shite-hole worth more'n a big pile o' treasure. So let's get inside ta find it."

Palmero takes a different approach, staying outside the hobbit hole, looking around the garden and grounds carefully. "Perhaps there are indications of the tunnel system out here? Pipes sticking in the ground or chimneys to vent out bad air and smoke and such?" He prods around in the soil in the direction the tunnel leads with his pitchfork.

Legless can't hold a torch while he walks, instead using his elven highlighted senses to peer throughout the home. He snoops around for anything hidden or secret along with the others, saying very little.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by AleBelly »

GM rolls dice

I will need reflex saves (1d20) from the following. Once I have these I'll give a substantial update. You want to roll 8 or above or take 1d4 damage. Don't forget you can burn luck to increase your roll (unless you roll a 1).

OGRE MAGE, please give me a reflex roll for Hanson

Stirling, please give me rolls for Yarnold and Zygmund

CAI4, please give me rolls for Sisyphus and Radahn.

Thanks!

Please refrain from actions, just need rolls right now. CAI4 is rolling at our tabletop.

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by CAI4 »

Sisyphus [1d20-1] in front of AleBelly: 19-1 = 18 (save)

Radahn [1d20-1] in front of AleBelly: 11-1 = 10 (save)

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by gurusql »

Ayre, Baye, Cotgric, Duala

Ayre

Ayre will start helping with the search. Thinking that people alway hide the important stuff in the artwork. He will look behind pictures, paintings, weaves and under expensive pots and the like.

Baye

Having not had a good meal in a while will check the kitchen for food.

Cotgric

He is interested in looking for this tunnel, how could this foolish Halfling be digging a tunnel without call the town's Stonemason. His goal is to under if this entrance is safe for all these people.

Duala

"Ayre, what can I help you look for!"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Stirling »

Yarnold & Zygmund

working together, the wizard's apprentice in the shadow of the tax collector.

"Sneaky little Hobbit'ses ... perhaps we ought to check around with care."

Yarnold: Reflex saving throw vs 8+ [1d20]=18 damage [1d4]=1. Zygmund reflex save vs 8+ [1d20-1]=13-1=12 damage [1d4]=1

Yarnold chokes a little gollumic sound as he investigates the dwelling.

Return to “The Would-Be Heroes of Clearwater (DCC)”