0004 The Dragon's Citadel

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

0004 The Dragon's Citadel

#1 Post by Eris »

OOG:I kept waiting for y'all to post, but it was ME that needed to post. :( I really dropped the ball here! I apologize.

The afternoon passes. Baths, food and drink are had. The beds are not too lumpy but are warm against the still cold nights. Morning comes.

Simon Baker joins you all at a breakfast of ham, eggs, beans and bread in the private nook next to the larger public room.

"About three months, just as winter began, attacks started against the small settlement on the west side of the river by Goblins. The attacks increased in frequency and seriousness until the folk over there simply had to leave and join us here on the eastern side." Simon says, "This isn't unheard of. When winters are especially bad the Goblins come down from the hills on raids, but this was different. The Goblins stayed!"

"Still, at first we weren't really worried. This was on the other side of the river and we were safe and traffic up and down the river system went on as normal, just on *this* side of Dragon Island. I reported all this to the Guild, but they weren't all that concerned as traffic continued just fine."

"However, the Goblins, for the first time in anyone's memory ventured out across what remains of the old bridge and occupied the island!" Simon tells you, "From the ruins of the Citadel they could fire arrows and catapult rocks down on passing boats, and that was a problem not just for us but for the entire Guild of River Merchants!" Simon shrugs, "Boat Captains turned back from here toward Fallcrest and you pretty quickly got hired to deal with things."

"What we want is to drive the Goblins out of the ruins and off Dragon Island, and hopefully away from the western bank of the river, too."

That's the background of things. Any questions?"
he pauses knowing you'll have some.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 0004 The Dragon's Citadel

#2 Post by ateno »

"Ya, a few things, a detailed map of the area, any books dealing with the area and its history. We will need a boat and a good look at the island from land to start with, then we can really ask the right questions, yes, everybody?"

Malbek

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:42 pm "Ya, a few things, a detailed map of the area, any books dealing with the area and its history. We will need a boat and a good look at the island from land to start with, then we can really ask the right questions, yes, everybody?"

Malbek
Simon pulls a scroll from a case he has with him and unrolls the parchment, "This is the best I can do when it comes to a map..."

The parchment shows the river running from south to north through the middle of the map, on the eastern side is the town of Old Bridge and on the western side is a much smaller town named Farside. On the map you can see where a bridge once went from Farside to Old Bridge passing over a island in the center of the river. The map you are looking at has dashes and dots where the bridge once stood...it has long since collapsed and is not usable. The island in the center of the river has the representation of a building on it called The Citadel.

Simon tells you, "The Goblins shouldn't have been able to cross the bridge to get from Farside to The Citadel. They don't appear to have boats and there are still nothing but pilings sticking up out of the water on either side of the river. We've never rebuilt it and they haven't either."

"The Citadel is just ruins now, but once upon a time it rose three stories high and there were catapults along the parapets that could throw stones and flaming bails of hay out onto any boats that passed to either side of the river. It is said that the Louistar family exacted tolls from all traffic along the river, but that was a very long time ago before the Time of the Troubles when foul creatures came down from the hills and mountains destroying everything in their path. Once we folk returned to this land everything was in ruins and the monsters had returned to their own lands. I'm afraid there aren't really any books about the history here in Old Bridge. There might be some back in Fallcrest or up the river in Lakeside, but we're more interested in the present and future than the past here."

"Now a boat!" Simon nods and points to an older looking dwarf with a long grey beard and a bald head who has been standing in the corner while you talked, "Doub, here, has agreed to be your boatman. He's got a solid boat and knows the river and the tricks of currents and such."

Doub nods to you and fingers his beard, "Aye. I'll ferry you around, let you see what there is to see. I'll be warning ya, though, there's only two places I can put my boat up to land on Citadel Island, and last time any of us tried that the Gobo's where ready with a hail of arrows and lobbing burning bails at us. We had to back off."

"That were a while back though, they ain't been lobbing the bails or firing on the fishing boats in recent days." Doub says, "They ain't gone though, we fisher folk see 'em peeking over the tops of the parapets now and again. We just stay out of their way...don't go so close or try to land on the island."

"I'll take you out there now if you're a mind to go take a look."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Eris »

At some point, hopefully soon, you'll go down to Old Bridge's docks and see Doub's boat...
Dhow.jpg
Dhow.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 278 times
...it's old, but looks solidly built and will be able to carry all of you without problems. In addition to a triangular sail there are a pair of oar locks on either side where rowers can work. It looks like it can carry 8 to 10 people. There are four men: two human, a dwarf, and a halfling working on nets near the boat.

Before stepping aboard Doub says, "That's my crew. We won't need them today if we're making a tour of the area around the island. I can work the sail and you can row. You can row can't you?"

"She's not the prettiest boat, but she's been my main companion for low these 30 years." Doub says proudly as he taps on the wooden bulkhead of the little boat adding with a grin, "I call her Sweeper cause she helps me sweep the river for fish."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by ateno »

"No, this will do fine, since it appears they have no long range weapons, I would like to get a look at the space between Farside and the island. They might have dropped rocks or have a low tide ford.
Also if we could pass between your town and the island and get a look from the north also.

Malbec thinks.

"Could we maybe borrow some large shields from the militia, in case of arrows while we are looking?

He looks at his fellows.

"Do you have any ideas?"

Malbec

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:55 pm "No, this will do fine, since it appears they have no long range weapons, I would like to get a look at the space between Farside and the island. They might have dropped rocks or have a low tide ford.
Also if we could pass between your town and the island and get a look from the north also.

Malbec thinks.

"Could we maybe borrow some large shields from the militia, in case of arrows while we are looking?

He looks at his fellows.

"Do you have any ideas?"

Malbec
Doub nods, "Aye! I'll take you clean around the island, if you want. We should be good as long as we stay away from the Citadel where the Gobbos are."

"Shields? Yes, certainly. We've used hay shields to trap arrows. They are light and work fine against arrows and the small stones the Goblins have launched at us as heavier wooden ones. They don't work for boulders or fire, but really no shields will work for that. If you go ashore, you will want wooden shields with iron banding for use against swords and axes." says Baker, "I can get you either...both if you want them."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by ateno »

"I don't think we are going on shore of the island today, we are not ready. Just to the extent of their max range with bows.

Malbec

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:36 pm "I don't think we are going on shore of the island today, we are not ready. Just to the extent of their max range with bows.

Malbec
"All righty then!" Doub nods as he steps aboard his craft, "No time like the present to take a little tour. Come aboard and watch your step if you don't want a bath."

Once everyone is aboard Doub pushes the boat away from the dock with an oar and hoisting the sail takes you out into the river.

There is a fair breeze, so you aren't needed to row, as the boat moves out and around to the other side of the island looming in the center of the river. Just as you were told there are several stone pilings rising from the water here showing where a bridge once stood, but you can't see anything spanning the pillars that anyone could use to cross from the far shore to the island.

Getting a closer look at the island you see it is almost completely enclosed in the ruins of a stone wall. There are several sections of wall that have collapsed, though, and with a bit of scrambling anyone could climb through into the interior of the island.

Inside the walls you can see the Citadel. It is a large stone building, probably once it was 3 stories high, but now it is mostly ruins. There are large sections of its walls that have crumbled and fallen, and as far as you can see the roof is gone. From where you are it looks like there might have been a fire, maybe several fires over the years, that took a toll on the main building and any outbuildings surrounding it.

The island seems calm and looks unoccupied, no smoke, no movement...except for some river gulls that wheel in the sky looking for food from time to time. However, as the boat rounds the island and comes back on the near side of the river you spot a bright flash from atop one of the only solid parts of the wall's parapet. It disappears and then reappears a bit further along. Someone or something is up there watching as you sail by...you think. That's all you see though, no attack, no visible Goblins...or anything else.

On this side of the river there aren't even any signs of stone pilings in the water. Doub says, "We took the stone pilings down to below the waterline so as to not affect boats passing by and to make sure no one used them to cross to our side."

As the boat made it's circuit of the island you noted a couple of places where a boat could pull up on the rocky beach on the downstream side, none on the upstream side. Rounding to the near side of the island, though, both Malbek and Aislin spied what looked like a hole in the wall's stonework right down at the waterline. It is miss-able from here unless you were looking closely, but would be completely invisible from atop the wall or inside. It looks like this might have been a little dock, or wharf in the distant past. Maybe a way through the wall into the Citadel that wouldn't be guarded?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ateno »

"well that was interesting, I was hoping for a rope bridge under the water and raised at night or something. Course they might have tunneled. They do that.

We should sneak in that hole, yes? After a day of rest, we been on out feet a long time."

Malbec

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Eris »

OOC: Just to let you all know. I've been rushing between appointments yesterday and today, so I'm not going to be posting until tonight. I *hope* I'll be free to continue with our "irregularly scheduled posts" starting this evening. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Eris »

Doub docks the boat back at the Old Bridge dock and says to you, "I'd never noticed that hole you saw. Of course, I've never really looked for a way into the ruins out there. I ignore them and up till now they've ignored me."

OOC: What are you doing the rest of the day? And are you going to head to the ruins during daylight tomorrow or in the dark tonight?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by ateno »

Malbeck suggests tomorrow evening, "We might need a break from the traveling, yes?"

Malbec

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by joertexas »

ateno wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:32 pm Malbeck suggests tomorrow evening, "We might need a break from the traveling, yes?"

Malbec
Aislin nods in agreement. "I think that's a good idea."

Sorry - I didn't subscribe to this site :oops:
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:02 pm
ateno wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:32 pm Malbeck suggests tomorrow evening, "We might need a break from the traveling, yes?"

Malbec

S'ok! Hopefully, it's a one time thing. I've heard the Forum still hiccups from time to time and stops sending notifications. If you don't see anything for a day or two, come look. I'm trying really hard to keep the pace up and everyone involved.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:46 pm
joertexas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:02 pm

Malbec

S'ok! Hopefully, it's a one time thing. I've heard the Forum still hiccups from time to time and stops sending notifications. If you don't see anything for a day or two, come look. I'm trying really hard to keep the pace up and everyone involved.
I play in four games here, so I check throughout the day for messages.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by ateno »

"OK, so we will head back, I will talk to some others, get some ideas and look to go in the hole tomorrow early before the first touch of day?'

Malbek

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by joertexas »

ateno wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:44 am "OK, so we will head back, I will talk to some others, get some ideas and look to go in the hole tomorrow early before the first touch of day?'

Malbek
"Yes, that's good," Aislin agreed.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by ateno »

"So lets relax a bit and plan a early entry tomorrow."

Looks at the captain of the boat.

"Assuming that's alright with you. 2 hours before sunrise?"

Malbac starts moving along back to the inn.

Malbec

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by joertexas »

ateno wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:18 am "So lets relax a bit and plan a early entry tomorrow."

Malbec
Aislin thinks for a moment, and then turns to the former librarian. "Should we have tools or anything else when we go in?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:18 am "So lets relax a bit and plan a early entry tomorrow."

Malbec
"Aye, that suits me." Doub says pulling at his beard.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Nentir Vale Adventures (SFA/TD Hack)”