Re: OOC 1

#41 Post by Rex »

Gotta learn sometime.

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#42 Post by grokkngrognard »

I've started on my character sheets. I know I'm late to the dinner table, but I had a tiny health scare to deal with. Give me another day or two!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by AleBelly »

No worries we are waiting on others. Hope you are OK!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Keehnelf »

Oh wow, this is an opportunity for irl introductions what. I don't remember if I've ever done anything like that here before.

My real name is Hnelf...wait, no...it's Shaun, and bizarrely I just met another Shaun here in my tiny town who happens to be the dad of my 10-year-old's new best friend. We commiserated over how often folks get our name wrong.

I'm in my mid-40s and moved a couple of years ago from urban Oregon to the very furthest reaches of Eastern Maine (like, I can take a quick trip to Canada from my workplace if circumstances require) to be closer to family and pursue new and more fulfilling work opportunities. I work here as the Director of a local popular education and community development non-profit and it's been an amazing and life-giving change from working in institutional higher ed (I was at the University of Oregon before and it was fine when I started but just got worse and worse with time).

One of the coolest things about my job is getting to run a weekly D&D game for the students who attend our high school program, and it's weird and cool that I actually get played to run a roleplaying game through this job! :) (the work still needs to get done elsewhere, though...making for some long evenings).

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by AleBelly »

Wow, what a gig! Glad you're enjoying yourself in a beautiful part of the world. Are you near Bar Harbor? It's one of my favorite places.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rex »

I can walk into Quebec from my house in Northern Vermont. We are pretty rural but I know that area in Maine and it is even more rural. Beautiful country.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Keehnelf »

AleBelly wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:29 am Wow, what a gig! Glad you're enjoying yourself in a beautiful part of the world. Are you near Bar Harbor? It's one of my favorite places.
Drive about 90 minutes east from Bar Harbor and you'll get to my town.

Drive another 20 miles east and you'll get to my job. :)

If I showed you on a map, it would be hard for you to tell that I'm not in Canada, honestly.

And yeah, it's a very cool gig.

Rex: yeah, super rural. We have a population density out this way of about 12 people per square mile. We're the oldest county in the oldest state in the country, and our population is steadily declining by about a third of a % every year despite hundreds of people moving in from away annually. It's a weird place with very specific problems and strengths.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by AleBelly »

Rex wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:46 am I can walk into Quebec from my house in Northern Vermont. We are pretty rural but I know that area in Maine and it is even more rural. Beautiful country.
I spent a really nice week up there about 12 years ago. Are you near the Jay Peak Ski Resort? Another location I'm jealous of...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rex »

We have the same problem with population. Those born here are leaving and slowly being replaced by out of staters, but population is flat or declining in most areas. The town I live in is very dairy oriented, about 5 cows per person. That isn't counting steers for cattle which has been increasing here. Mostly grass fed. The terrain is not really suitable for growing crops, but great for grazing. The town between me and Jay has the states largest goat farm, it is a dairy farm primarily but the meat is good too. Fun to watch the goats climb all over stuff you wouldn't think they could.

I am 2 towns west of Jay Peak. In the foot hills of the Greens, I am at just under 1000 feet elevation.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Keehnelf »

When we moved out this way, we looked at houses in northern VT too. A couple spots in Derby, Newport, and Canaan.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Rex »

That is a beautiful area. I spent much of my youth camping, hiking, and hunting in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont (Newport is the western edge of the Kingdom). Lots of great memories. I also lived for a year in Maine, did search and rescue work as a Wilderness EMT there. Now a days I spend most of my outdoor time in the Adirondacks which are about the same distance for me but my wife is from there so I have access to a place to stay and NY has longer hunting seasons and I need all the help I can get, LOL.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by AleBelly »

For the new batch of players, I'm waiting on one more to post their characters. Hope to kick off this weekend/early next week. I'm traveling today/tomorrow so responses may be delayed.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#53 Post by GreyWolfVT »

No rush on my part. My fodder gets to live a bit longer for now ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by AleBelly »

That elf of yours, wow! Best candidate for a meat shield I’ve ever seen.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#55 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will be heading out shortly for the Founders and Legends convention in Lake Geneva this weekend. https://foundersandlegends.com/

I should be back in full force on Tuesday, unless we decide to just stay there through Gary Con next week. :lol:

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Keehnelf »

I love that the "Incarnate Tournament" at that con uses versions of the same characters from across "all editions of D&D" in...four sessions.

:O

$20 I can guess which edition will be missing.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by AleBelly »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:06 pm I will be heading out shortly for the Founders and Legends convention in Lake Geneva this weekend. https://foundersandlegends.com/

I should be back in full force on Tuesday, unless we decide to just stay there through Gary Con next week. :lol:

Enjoy the weekend everyone!
Sounds like a good time. Have fun!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by AleBelly »

Rex wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:22 pm Rimilda, Wenyld, & Nordman

Nordman screams in agony as he is chomped in two.

Wenyld attacks D2.

Staff [1d20]=7 to hit [1d6]=6 damage
She will spend a luck if it will turn a 7 into a hit.

Rimilda attacks D1.

Club [1d20-1]=5-1=4 to hit [1d4-1]=4-1=3 damage
She will spend a luck if it will turn a 4 into a hit.

Not rolling very well at the moment.
Yeah, you all are getting some bad rolls, and the skeleton dwarves are rolling the opposite. Their test macro rolls all sucked (all missed) but unfortunately can't use those.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Rex »

Just how the rolls go. I am notorious for rolling bad as well.

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#60 Post by grokkngrognard »

I hate, hate, hate doing this but I’m withdrawing from this game. There’s a lot going on right now so it’s just better for me to drop out than later.

Return to “The Would-Be Heroes of Clearwater (DCC)”