OOC 1

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC 1

#1 Post by AleBelly »

Use this thread to ask questions, introduce yourself, etc.

I'll start: In my late 40s, I work in R&D developing diagnostics and life science research tools.

CAI4 is my son, who has experience playing DCC in my home game (but won't have exposure to any of this game's material before you). We have all the funky DCC dice so he may do his rolls in front of me instead of the dice roller...at least until he leaves for university in the fall.

Looking forward to gaming with you all!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC 1

#2 Post by Rex »

I'm next I guess.

In my mid 50's, I am a pharmaceutical and analytical chemist working in the pharma industry.

I started out in 1979 playing Holmes Basic, hooked ever since.

Looking forward to the game.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Stirling »

Stirling

Is actually my real name, I played D&D from the early 80's, prefering 1st edition over others.

My surname is an anglicised version of Schwarzchild, apparently my ancestors where either crusading templars or parts of Prussian allies who settled in the Scottish lowlands after the Napoleonic era.

I taught outdoor pursuits and ran a trekking company in Azerbaijan for 18 months and presently teach TESL (English as a second language) here in the UK.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Actually, Rex is my real name as well.

My other hobbies are mostly outdoors based. I camp, hunt, hike, bushcraft type stuff, reload ammunition, and am a firearms and new hunter instructor on occasion. Used to be a wilderness EMT, done search and rescue, have trained rescue dogs in the past (St Bernards, currently have a Great Pyrenees mix), and used to compete in off-road driving (obstacle course type stuff mostly) and orienteering.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

I can't seem to find currency conversion in the quick start rules. Can we trade our item for coins and if so how much (full value, half value)?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Marullus wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:48 pm Work in progress.
dcc_character_sheet_2024-01-21_09-40-20_240121_124434.pdf
...a halfling chicken butcher who was conceived on horseback is a wild randomization. :lol:
That is pretty funny, he needs a miniature horse or maybe a pony though to get the mounted attack bonus, LOL.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by AleBelly »

Rex wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:23 pm I can't seem to find currency conversion in the quick start rules. Can we trade our item for coins and if so how much (full value, half value)?
Sure, let's do half value. If you're selling a holy symbol or water you might want to note that in background to help with a character backstory...but feel free to not do that too!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by AleBelly »

Rex wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:00 pm
Marullus wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:48 pm Work in progress.
dcc_character_sheet_2024-01-21_09-40-20_240121_124434.pdf
...a halfling chicken butcher who was conceived on horseback is a wild randomization. :lol:
That is pretty funny, he needs a miniature horse or maybe a pony though to get the mounted attack bonus, LOL.
Must have had daring parents! I wonder how a halfling couple got on a horse in the first place...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

AleBelly wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:06 pm Must have had daring parents! I wonder how a halfling couple got on a horse in the first place...
Right? I feel like he's part of a long chain of questionable life choices...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

You guys are killing me.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by gurusql »

In my mid 50's, I am an information technology manager for a small organization that provides information and training to lawyers.

I also started out in 1979 playing Blue Book (Holmes) Basic, and have played mostly AD&D 1e, 2e, Traveller, Hero Games and several other games in a more one off fashion.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Stirling »

For dice roller transparency, what is the Campaign Identity number?

edited 1051

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

My name isn't really Ogre Mage. :lol:

I'm Rob in Wisconsin, and my Polish last (sur) name would give Stirlings a run for his money. :mrgreen:

I am exactly mid fifties and started playing OD&D and B/X sometime in my early teens.

The wife and I enjoy attending local gaming conventions like GameholeCon and GaryCon where we have amassed a large group of like-minded friends over the many years.

We also like to take long walks on the beach whenever we can get somewhere warm. (typically Jamaica) :SAN:

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by CAI4 »

Hey everyone, I'm Alebelly's son

17-years old, I'm soon to be graduating high school and will be going to college in the near future

Looking forward to playing

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by AleBelly »

gurusql wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:15 pm In my mid 50's, I am an information technology manager for a small organization that provides information and training to lawyers.

I also started out in 1979 playing Blue Book (Holmes) Basic, and have played mostly AD&D 1e, 2e, Traveller, Hero Games and several other games in a more one off fashion.
Was wondering if you were in IT or something similar with a name like 'gurusql' :lol: Your characters get to roll the d30 on database query rolls for this game!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard CAI4!!

Great to have you here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Birth augur:
Where are we finding these, please?

I want to buy some extra stuff too before we leave. If I dont have the books, how can I find Table 3-3?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:02 pm
Birth augur:
Where are we finding these, please?

I want to buy some extra stuff too before we leave. If I dont have the books, how can I find Table 3-3?
The Birth Augur is on your rolled sheets as "Luck Sign."

The equipment tables are here. Not much you can do with only copper pieces (as intended for 0-level):
Screenshot_20240123_102352_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20240123_102352_Drive.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 279 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Excellent!

Thanks!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by AleBelly »

I just realized on my character sheet template that I forgot a very important attribute: alignment. This will play an important role (especially for clerics) at level 1. OM, please add alignment for your characters in your sheet. Also, since your outlaw has leather armor his armor class is 12 instead of 10, so congrats!

Regarding the rules, thanks for sharing the table, Marullus. I have a hard copy of the book, and I will share as necessary like I did in my table top game. In fact, I like being able to share selections of the book. Many of the pages are dedicated to magic and the results depending on spell check rolls. For those that don't have access to the book, lack of access to the complete list of spells for clerics and wizards will hopefully add some mystery surrounding magic to the game...as it should be! Magic is rare in these worlds.

I will also start a 'rules' thread. I will pretty much run this by the DCC book, but I don't expect you all to buy and read the book (although the book is really awesome). I'll just highlight some rules that may be different from the early editions of AD&D, Basic, etc. that you may be accustomed to.

Return to “The Would-Be Heroes of Clearwater (DCC)”