Nations & Cannons: D&D 5e in 1776

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

Nations & Cannons: D&D 5e in 1776

#1 Post by Straither »

I was checking out rpg's set in a Pirates era through War of Independence and the American Civil War and came across this recent Kickstarter which uses base D&D 5e rules and tweaked certain classes to become appropriate to the non-fantasy genre.

Black powder muskets and cannons.

I wondered if anyone has supported it or knew if similar era RPG's that could translate into pbp mode.

Here is a link to a YouTube podcast introducing the supplement.

https://youtu.be/ticU_CkyyUM?si=2DCz0LK2iuG3JEBT

What do my fellow gamers think and would there be interest in playing such here?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Nations & Cannons: D&D 5e in 1776

#2 Post by Stirling »

I am interested in how they rig the classes; Barbarian, Ranger, Rogue, Artificer, Bard, etc and their subclasses. See how the different skills can fit each genre.

5th ed D&D is notoriously difficult to translate into a long play-by-post campaign. I would be interested to hear how our 5th ed GM's Hedgeknight, Dmw and Marullus and others might view N&C's feasibility.

On first glance, running a skirmish orientated game looks good but there has to be a way to outlive more than one brutal encounter if muskets and cannons are replacing monsters and dragons.

For example 'conscript militia' being rated as low level HD and disadvantaged or penalised in their musket attacks.

A change of scene but not too much change of rules. I could buy in to it if a creative GM stepped forward..

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Leitz »

We just wrapped up a 7th Sea (R&K) ScenSim game, you might want to give that a look. Since it's based on mutable technology on a Pseudo-Earth around the late 1600's, a lot of what you'd want is there. Running historical games has its ups and downs. World building is much easier, you just take from history. However, you often run into some "expert" who disputes this and questions that. If you can utilize their expertise, it's nice.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Spearmint »

I download the free 'quick start' pdf and glanced through the 'gambits' which act as a spells and enhanced skills.

Certainly as a skirmish based warfare it seems to offer some challenge and characters can still roleplay aspects of being a rogue, barbarian, cleric, ranger, etc.

I liked what I read, not sure I have the skill, let alone the time to run a 5th ed game though.

Maybe a run in the Scenario Simulator might demonstrate how playable it is?

Any takers?

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Bluetongue »

Intrigued to see how the dynamics of taking a volley of musket fire or an artillery barrage works and character survivability.

I could see a 'Last of the Mohicans' style frontier game or an urban setting of rebellion as part of a wider Independence war being cool themes to run.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

Bluetongue wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:24 pm Intrigued to see how the dynamics of taking a volley of musket fire or an artillery barrage works and character survivability.

I could see a 'Last of the Mohicans' style frontier game or an urban setting of rebellion as part of a wider Independence war being cool themes to run.
You should check out Scarik's BX/Chainmail game then. He does some good stuff with mass combat that can be extrapolated.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by scarik »

Leitz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:38 pm
You should check out Scarik's BX/Chainmail game then. He does some good stuff with mass combat that can be extrapolated.
Thanks, I steal liberally.

The quick and dirty method for mass combat is to just use the stats of a creature for the stats of a unit of ten(ish) of them. For small scale skirmishes it works if you squint and allows PCs to engage them as well without other rules. So long as they could deal with 10 enemies at once that is.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Stirling »

Spearmint sells himself short. He ran a 22 man vs 13 in a great combat encounter in his Pirates : cannon & dragons game; with muskets and bayonet charges (plus a little magic and a flask of oil!).

viewtopic.php?p=283283#p283283

So, if you can narrow a larger battle down to a 'squad level' skirmish, this could be fun to play.

Return to “General RPG discussion”