Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [001] A Wizard in Danger

#101 Post by shaidar »

Wendel

"I guess we have no option but to move on then."

[1d20]=17;[1d20]=13;[1d20]=14

Fergus

The warrior looks nervous, his hand resting on the pommel of his sword.

"Let's get going then."

[1d20]=14;[1d20]=9;[1d20]=4
Last edited by shaidar on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Sorry, missed his rolls.

[1d20]=5 [1d20]=8 [1d20]=2

Some poor rolling there.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by Eris »

Everyone, and a Goblin, enter the Dark!!!

The Goblin steps forward still held by Ulfgar's rope around his middle. The passage through the dark "hole in the wall" is narrow and the passage inside is little wider...single file it is!

OOC: It looks like Black Wolf (Balrog) has gone AWOL on us. I'll stick him at the back of the party and NPC him until his player reappears or we find a place to drop him off.

So, is this the marching order? Goblin, Ulfgar, Willow, Fergus, Wendel, Naugrin, Black Wolf

The Goblin is yanked to a stop as he steps forward quickly while Ulfgar pauses just inside the hole trying to see ahead.

It is dark in here and going to get darker! A little light comes in from the doorway, showing stone walls on all sides of a hole going further inside, but a few steps ahead whatever is in there is completely in shadow...deep, dark shadow!

"Come on!" says the Goblin over his shoulder, "Ah! Right you can't even see in the dim can you? Much less sense in the dark."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Marullus »

Naugrim sparks up a torch at the rear of the group, saying nothing to the goblin.

Marching order is fine. Did my Inspire work? How many opportunities does he have on the journey to tell inspiring stories aimed at party members?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

He is fine with the order.

"Willow, do you mind carrying a torch? I have my hands full with the goblin."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by shaidar »

I'm fine with the marching order.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Marullus »

Rex wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:33 am "Willow, do you mind carrying a torch? I have my hands full with the goblin."
She blanches. "I would rather keep my bow...."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by shaidar »

Wendel

"I will carry the torch."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#109 Post by Eris »

Marching order: Goblin, Ulfgar, Willow, Fergus, Wendel, Naugrin, Black Wolf[/ooc]

The Goblin is yanked to a stop as he steps forward quickly while Ulfgar pauses just inside the hole trying to see ahead.

It is dark in here and going to get darker! A little light comes in from the doorway, showing stone walls on all sides of a hole going further inside, but a few steps ahead whatever is in there is completely in shadow...deep, dark shadow!

"Come on!" says the Goblin over his shoulder, "Ah! Right you can't even see in the dim can you? Much less sense in the dark."

Naugrim sparks up a torch at the rear of the group, saying nothing to the goblin.

"Willow, do you mind carrying a torch? I have my hands full with the goblin." says Ulfgar.

Willow blanches. "I would rather keep my bow...."

Wendel says "I will carry the torch." OOC: I'm ruling that Wendel takes the torch from Naugrim, so you only have one lighted torch. If Naugrim is also carrying a torch let me know.

Torch light floods the narrow passageway and everyone gets their bearings. The light of the torch shows the passageway you are entering. It is a corridor cut through stone. The corridor is narrow, 3 feet wide, and low, between 4 and 5 feet high. Thick stone slabs stacked atop each other make up the floor, sides and ceiling. The light shows a solid wall at the end of the corridor with a set of stone steps leading down to the left. Although the floor is made of stone slabs there is dirt and debris scattered about and Willow can see tracks...the ones she's been following as well as many more coming and going. This is a well used passageway, you think.
Wall Entrance_26x17.jpg
Wall Entrance_26x17.jpg (33.79 KiB) Viewed 219 times
I'm going to have to make these smaller. :) Also, the P stands for the Party.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by Eris »

Marullus wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:53 pm

Marching order is fine. Did my Inspire work? How many opportunities does he have on the journey to tell inspiring stories aimed at party members?
For Marullus only:
It's a talent, so Naugrim can attempt Inspire or Fascinate as often as he wants, fail and you can't do either again until after a long rest. Did he succeed? Let's put it this way, he thinks he did. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Ulgar will allow the goblin to move ahead, slowly. He keeps a good grip on the rope and tries to stay as alert as possible.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Marullus »

Willow stands comfortably upright in the tiny hallway. "The big wizard did come this way..." she looks suspiciously at the surrounding stone slabs, alert to traps or hatches.

Naugrim brings up the rear, glancing constantly, and longingly, behind him at the fading outdoor light.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by shaidar »

Fergus

The large man finds the closed in passageway rather constricting, but he moves forward with the others, hand on pommel and happy that he can see over the head of the smaller Willow in front.

Wendel

The tall wizard has to visibly stoop in the passageway, trying to light the way ahead the best he can with the torch.

"I have a lantern if this torch is deemed insufficient."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#114 Post by Eris »

Marching order: Goblin, Ulfgar, Willow, Fergus, Wendel, Naugrin, Black Wolf

Torches lighted there is no reason not to move forward. Maybe you are reluctant, but you think to yourself, "faint heat never won the prize" and following the Goblin you start forward down the short passage.

Rounding the corner you see stone stairs descending. The light from the torches show the stairs go down about ten feet to a passage continuing to the west. There isn't anyone here.
Wall Entrance2.gif
Wall Entrance2.gif (10.52 KiB) Viewed 174 times
What do you do now?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Continue. Keeping alert and my eyes on the goblin too.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Marullus »

Unclear what the point of decision is?

Willow continues to distrust the goblin, following warily. Watching the wizard's footprints, wary of traps. And mindful for concealed or moveable slabs in the walls or floor. She holds her bow ready.

Naugrim carries his mace and then the torch in the hand of his shield arm. He pep-talks Wendel, no longer able to remain silent, encouraging him with tales of Tenser the Terrible, who was purely maligned by the name.
Inspire [1d20+1]=9+1=10
Inspire [1d20+1]=1+1=2 (w/advantage)
Okay, so Ulfgar got a luck token (from earlier), Wendell doesn't, and he's just to rattled to be inspirational now until after a rest. [Ulfgar can spend his token to reroll once]

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Rex »

Ulfgar

Token noted on sheet.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by shaidar »

Both Fergus and Wendel move forward warily, trying their best to be alert for danger.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by Eris »

OOC: Just to let you all know. I've been rushing between appointments yesterday and today, so I'm not going to be posting until tonight. I *hope* I'll be free to continue with our "irregularly scheduled posts" starting this evening. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#120 Post by Eris »

It's a bit of an anti-climax! But then...

The Goblin leads you down the stairs and along a corridor to an opening in the wall on the right. He steps through and calls out, "Coming out with folks to see The Boss!"

Following him you emerge back into forest with the tall ruins of The Wall now behind you.

You're now in what the locals called "Monster Country"...like you weren't before.

A troop of Goblins precipitates from the surrounding forest like a closing fog. There must be a dozen of them, all armed, but none look like they want to attack you.

One calls out in Goblin, "Zigak! Where'd ya find these yahoos?"

Those that don't know Goblin just hear chattering nonsense, those that do understand.

"Think they'll go in that place for the Boss?" asks another in the same language, "Bad juju, that place."

"Better dem, dan us."
calls out a third drawing hoots of laughter from the whole group and nods of agreement all around.

The whole group, you and the Goblins, move along the forest. You on the path, the Goblins before and after and out in the forest, popping in and out from time to time for what must be a half hour.

Willow thinks you've been walking 2 miles or more at this point when the forest opens up into a large clearing. Smack dab in the center of this clearing are the ruins of what looks like once was a Church...no, more like a Monastery.

It is a walled enclosure with several buildings inside. Everything is in ruins, walls tumbling down, no roofs, and very, very old. Standing at an opening in the outer wall, what once was an arched gateway, but is now just a big hole are a pair of Goblin guards.

"We wait here." says the Goblin you have tied with rope in Common, now you know he is called Zigak, "Go see if the Boss will see these Heroes. Say they are big, tough, monsters, killed many Goblins and ain't a'scared o'nuthen!"

Zigak turns around and looks Ulfgar in the eye and winks, "Gotta build ya up! Get you good terms from da Boss. Keep me alive, and you too."

OOC: Reactions?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Shadows in the Dark (Shadowdark)”