Starting item discussion

TheMyth
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

Starting item discussion

#1 Post by TheMyth »

In other games that I have run, I found that providing some special minor magic items often helps get players involved.

This time, though, I am spectacularly uninspired! I have a few I definitely like, so I figured I would post them here and see if you have ideas or requests.

For Myrrh:

Vowbound Sword - Myrrh's sword has been specially blessed and annointed by the High Patriarch of St. Muriel. Myrrh may use this sword - and ONLY this sword - to fight injustice, protect the weak, and drive back the forces of Chaos. If the sword is used by Myrrh for unworthy reasons, Myrrh loses all mystic powers and gains -1 to attack, damage, and saves until he atones. The sword is a perfectly normal sword, but against supernatural agents of Chaos (like undead, demons, and such), the sword gains +2 to hit.

For either one of the Clerics or the Elf:

Phial of Sunberry Tincture - a small bottle containing 33 drops of a potent healing elixir. Using the accompanying dropper, the user can heal either d4 or d6+1 hit points of damage (with each point healed using up 1 drop).

For Anter:

Battlestaff - A stout staff of oak that does d6 damage as a weapon and allows the Magic-User to cast Shield 1x per day

For Brondulm:

"Lefty" - A parrying dagger with its name carved into the blade that provides a +2 bonus to armor class if held in the wieldet's offhand. It is still quite effective as a second weapon while providing this defense.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Starting item discussion

#2 Post by Edeldhur »

Items look great!

Don't really see Ellith as a healer - not an actual match for his background or motivations. He is more of a Guardian and a Protector. But I will not scorn a chance to grab such a powerful item.

Some cool ideas I see for him are an animal companion of sorts, perhaps an elven war dog or something along those lines (just made it up :D), would love anything which would allow him some form of rudimentary communication with animals, or some enhanced wild or nature-related abilities.

Just some random thoughts, nothing really nailed down also.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by gurusql »

Sounds fun. Noted on sheet.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Good thing Brondulm is right handed....Thanks I am sure this will come in handy....

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by TheMyth »

Edeldhur wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:35 pm Items look great!

Don't really see Ellith as a healer - not an actual match for his background or motivations. He is more of a Guardian and a Protector. But I will not scorn a chance to grab such a powerful item.
Ellith has actually been my biggest bugaboo! The way you crafted him, he's not (immediately) spell-obsessed. His clan is "Red Arrow," but you didn't buy him a bow; I didn't want to force a bow on the character. He is from Alfheim, but he didn't seem like he'd be connected to the Tree of Life. Your feedback is thus incredibly useful....
Some cool ideas I see for him are an animal companion of sorts, perhaps an elven war dog or something along those lines (just made it up :D), would love anything which would allow him some form of rudimentary communication with animals, or some enhanced wild or nature-related abilities.
It's called a "cooshee," and Ellith now has one! Lemme whip up some OSE-compatible stats and get back to you. I think Cooshees speak Elven.....

Also, with Intelligence 13, Ellith gets 1 bonus language. Elves may make it an animal language. Think Canine, Equine, Feline, Avian, etc. as separate languages an Elf may know.
Just some random thoughts, nothing really nailed down also.
Very, very helpful!

I was wondering if Ellith or Anter might like a familiar or companion creature, so this was productive.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by TheMyth »

BaltoBruiser wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:38 am Good thing Brondulm is right handed....Thanks I am sure this will come in handy....

I thought of that! Note my careful wording of how the dagger works. :D

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

The vowbound sword is solid, but my concern with it is I am locked into it and if I find a magic sword later I can't use it. I don't have any issue with the healing elixir or even something like a blessed shield that maybe helps turning the undead or something like that.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by TheMyth »

Rex wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:07 am The vowbound sword is solid, but my concern with it is I am locked into it and if I find a magic sword later I can't use it. I don't have any issue with the healing elixir or even something like a blessed shield that maybe helps turning the undead or something like that.
Haha. Already planning ahead. A new sword can be sanctified with the assistance of a 9th level Cleric of Muriel. Or Myrrh might stumble across the 1 or 2 holy swords littered around the campaign map.....

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Always planning ahead. He will take the sword then. I will add it to the notes section of his sheet.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Edeldhur »

TheMyth wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:12 am
Ellith has actually been my biggest bugaboo! The way you crafted him, he's not (immediately) spell-obsessed. His clan is "Red Arrow," but you didn't buy him a bow; I didn't want to force a bow on the character. He is from Alfheim, but he didn't seem like he'd be connected to the Tree of Life. Your feedback is thus incredibly useful....
Well, like you suggested, I took some inspiration from the Mystara setting, but wanted to keep it 'generic' enough to fit your homebrew - he does not have a bow for two reasons: 1. Bows are expensive as HECK and 2. Looking at our roster I am guessing Ellith will be on the frontlines more often than not, so I went with a bigger focus on melee weapons and on defense (plate mail). Will be happy if you decide to give me a bow as a starting item though :D (otherwise it will probably be one of my first buys. If I survive long enough of course hehe)

I intend to play him 'arcane/nature focused' (my favorite character type is the 'gish', for all those old grognards out there) but with an Int 13 and two spells to choose (really one, because in my mind Detect Magic for an Arcane caster is a must have ;)), for now my options are quite limited.
TheMyth wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:12 am It's called a "cooshee," and Ellith now has one! Lemme whip up some OSE-compatible stats and get back to you. I think Cooshees speak Elven.....

Also, with Intelligence 13, Ellith gets 1 bonus language. Elves may make it an animal language. Think Canine, Equine, Feline, Avian, etc. as separate languages an Elf may know.
Wohooo! I love that - thanks! Will definitely go with canine as a third language then.
TheMyth wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:12 am
Very, very helpful!

I was wondering if Ellith or Anter might like a familiar or companion creature, so this was productive.
Sweet, loving the character creation process so far.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by TheMyth »

A revised list:

(Under the hood - I seem to have comfortably settled on the idea of gifting one proper minor magic item and then making one piece of bought equipment into something special)

Here's what I have so far:

Brondulm:

"Lefty" - a parrying dagger has its name carved into its blade, and provides a +2 bonus to armor class if held in the wieldet's offhand. It is still quite effective as a second weapon while providing this defense.

Lucky Rabbit's Foot - The preserved paw from a leporine, this charm provides Brondulm with a bonus of +2 to ability checks and +10% to Thief Skills. Also, once per day any Thief Skill may be rolled twice.

Myrrh:

Vowbound Sword - Myrrh's sword has been specially blessed and annointed by the High Patriarch of St. Muriel. Myrrh may use this sword - and ONLY this sword - to fight injustice, protect the weak, and drive back the forces of Chaos. If the sword is used by Myrrh for unworthy reasons, Myrrh loses all mystic powers and gains -1 to attack, damage, and,saves until he atones. The sword is a perfectly normal sword, but against supernatural agents of Chaos (like undead, demons, and such), the sword gains +2 to hit.

Phylactery of the Righteous - Myrrh wears an amulet on his left arm that contains cardfully scribed miniature scrolls of Bless Weapon, Divine Favor, and Shield of Faith. Once per day, Myrrh may invoke the item's power to cast one of those three spells.

Ellith:

Cooshee - AC:14, HD:2, Attack: +2, Damage: d4+2 (1x bite) or 2d4+2 (1x pounce), Special talents: 60' Infravision, Tracking by scent or sound, Charge, Pounce, understands Elf & common, Hide in nature/shadows like Halfling, Resounding Bark; cooshee are normally the size of ponies; this is a "miniature" version about the size of a golden retriever.

Circlet of Second Sight - a simple silver band that gives an Elf supernatural senses. The Elf gains the ability to Find Secret Doors with a 4-in-6 (2 in 6 if not actively looking), The Elf may also cast Detect Danger 1x/day and use True Seeing (for only 1 round, but a # of rounds per day equal to the Elf's level).

Lia:

Healer's kit - contains 20 bandages and vials of healing balms, emetics, and antivenoms that can either heal d4 hit points of damage each day to each person tended, or allow another saving throw to neutralize poison, disease, or nature-based impairment. After used for 1 day, the kit must be replenished either by paying for re-supplies or roleplaying acquiring more herbs.

Wand of Vines - this long, slender wand is carved with winding vines. For 1 charge, the wand will shoot forth a liana that will tangle around a creature that fails to Save vs. Wands, keeping it bound and gagged for 1 turn. For 2 charges, the wand will duplicate an Entangle spell. For 3 charges, the wand can conjure a Wall of Thorns. The wand has 7 charges, but will regenerate 1 charge per day not used if exposed to at least 1 hour of sunlight.

Anter:

Battlestaff - stout staff of oak that does d6 damage as a weapon and allows the Magic-User to cast Shield 1x per day.

Clear Crystal Ioun Stone - This perfectly round piece of crystal can be commanded to float about the possessor's head. Once in orbit, the stone can be commanded to perform one of three functions: 1/ The stone can shine with light equivalent to a Light spell. 2/ The stone can be commanded to fly forth as if shot from a sling (use sling stone range and damage); it will return to hover about the possessor at the start of the following round (unless prdvented). 3/ The stone can be used to conjure a Chromatic Orb once per day. The stone may only use one function per round (light, weapon, or Orb).

???:

Phial of Sunberry Tincture - a small bottle containing 33 drops of a potent healing elixir. Using the accompanying dropper, the user can heal either d4 or d6+1 hit points of damage (with each point healed using up 1 drop).

Return to “TheMyth's OSE Adventures in Tegel County (OSE)”