Recruitment Open- OSE game "Adventures in Tegel County"

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

Recruitment Open- OSE game "Adventures in Tegel County"

#1 Post by TheMyth »

Tegel Village is celebrating the Spring Festival, but strange events are occurring in the surrounding countryside. Goblins are being seen more often, frequently accosting travellers. Pirates camping on the coast by the abandoned lighthouse are getting more aggressive. And the legendary Dearth Monster of Derfingel Marsh is on the prowl once more!

Baladar, the local Ranger, is looking for brave volunteers to explore some recently discovered ruins to see if they are connected to Tegel's current misfortune.

I am new to Unseen Servant, but I run a game elsewhere called Adventures in Tegel County.

Basically, the first play-by-post game I participated in was set in a homebrew campaign world based upon the environment map of Tegel Manor. I *love* that map! So I tried to create my own campaign world from it too!

In the proud tradition of Gygax and Greyhawk, I have decided to see if there is interest here to play in such a world. It is primarily Known World as presented in the B/X books, X1, Tegel Manor, a bit from the Freeport products, and a lot of homebrewing using literature, film, tv, cartoons, comics, mythology, and my own invention. And anywhere else I can steal, poach, borrow, or get inspiration from.

The rules will be Old School Essntials basic rules (which are essentially a cleaned up B/X); I rely heavily upon the srd found here:
https://oldschoolessentials.necroticgno ... /Main_Page

I use several House Rules, including Bonus Spells for Clerics and MUs, freecasting for Elves, and Cleave for Fighters (among others).

I expect players to post at least 3x per week (more is fine). I can usually post at least 2x/day.

Players are expected to participate. More than a sentence is usually expected, but, please, no long-winded fanfic with every post. Also, it is very helpful if players have their characters interact not only with npcs but also one another. I am not an AI, nor are the people we play with.

Also, you will be expected to track your own character resources, INCLUDING TREASURE. If I tell you to put it on your sheet and you don't do it, then the item might just disappear.

The tedious stuff: I make all the rolls, including at character generation. I tend to be a stickler for rules (but might bend them on a case by case basis).

I want EVERYONE to have fun, including me.

Anyone interested?

Edit to add: Recruitment now OPEN.

So far, 2 yeses and 3 maybes.

Any questions? Ask away!
Last edited by TheMyth on Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Interest Check - OSE game "Adventures in Tegel County"

#2 Post by Rex »

I am wrapping up my busy season and should have some more time soon so may be interested.

Couple of questions. How will you be rolling scores? Can we move scores around or is it keep where rolled? We choose class/race or you?

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by TheMyth »

Rex wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:02 pm I am wrapping up my busy season and should have some more time soon so may be interested.

Couple of questions. How will you be rolling scores? Can we move scores around or is it keep where rolled? We choose class/race or you?
I make 7 rolls, applied in order to the six main stats and one for GOLD (which x10 is starting money).

Players may swap GOLD with any of the other six.

Then the player chooses a class and may POINT SWAP (as per established rules) from S, I, or W to raise their Prime Requisite(s) on a 2:1 basis.

I have only ever had 1 player request a new set, so I will take the request if the player is truly unhappy...

Also, if someone wants something special (they really, really want to play a Gnome or a Paladin or a Half-Elf), I am willing to houserule a solution/compromise.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by sastaz »

Sounds interesting, but as it stands, 3x a week is a little steep for me since my kids are still young-ish.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Thanks. Not worried about rerolling as long as everyone plays by the same rules. I will think on it and see if anyone else is interested.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by TheMyth »

sastaz wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:37 pm Sounds interesting, but as it stands, 3x a week is a little steep for me since my kids are still young-ish.
Sounds like we're not a match then. I currently play in a 1x/week game and it is far too slow for me.

My first few pbp eperiences had most players posting once per day...often more! That seems undoable for most people nowadays.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by sulldawga »

I am interested. I like the requirements for posting. But I don't know if I can make the commitment and I won't know for at least a month, probably.

I will follow along as a lurker and see if you can get the game off the ground. Good luck!

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by TheMyth »

So...

Rex is a maybe.

thirdkingdom is a yes.

And sulldawga is a maybe.

FYI, I have run games with just 2 players.... 3 is better.... 4-6 is ideal. I ran one with 6 that worked pretty well. The game I am running elsewhere had 9 at one point before ghosting started.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Edeldhur »

Hello,

I would be interested in participating if there is still room for more.
I am familiar, but not crazy experienced with OSE, and would really enjoy a chance to give it a whirl.

Been playing PbP for many years now (in other forums), and I agree some sort of post regularity should be agreed upon, otherwise the games just don't move at all, and tend to die away. Or at least that has been my experience.

Let me know!

Thank you,
Edeldhur

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

Welcome, Edeldhur.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by TheMyth »

Edeldhur wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:24 pm Hello,

I am familiar, but not crazy experienced with OSE, and would really enjoy a chance to give it a whirl.

Been playing PbP for many years now (in other forums), and I agree some sort of post regularity should be agreed upon, otherwise the games just don't move at all, and tend to die away. Or at least that has been my experience.

Let me know!

Thank you,
Edeldhur
Still plenty of room! You're in!

That makes 2 "definites" and 2 "maybes."

Recruitment will remain open, but I will start the process to get us a forum going this week.

Hopefully, we can start Character Generation by the end of the month.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Darithe »

You may add me to your maybe list. Warning I tend to be out of town/busy on weekends, but might manage the posting schedule through the week. I also have zero experience with OSE.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Edeldhur »

dmw71 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:18 pm Welcome, Edeldhur.
Thank you!

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Edeldhur »

TheMyth wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:09 pm
Edeldhur wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:24 pm Hello,

Let me know!

Thank you,
Edeldhur
Still plenty of room! You're in!

That makes 2 "definites" and 2 "maybes."

Recruitment will remain open, but I will start the process to get us a forum going this week.

Hopefully, we can start Character Generation by the end of the month.
Thank you TheMyth! Happy to be on board!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by rredmond »

Welcome welcome Edeldhur!!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by TheMyth »

Darithe wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:19 pm You may add me to your maybe list. Warning I tend to be out of town/busy on weekends, but might manage the posting schedule through the week. I also have zero experience with OSE.
That's cool. OSE really is just a cleaned up B/X, which is itself just a cleaned up OD&D.

Anyone unfamiliar with it, please check out the OSE SRD that I posted above! It is a great resource.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard Edeldhur!

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Recruitment Open- OSE game "Adventures in Tegel County"

#19 Post by Edeldhur »

Thank you for all the welcome messages :D

Just so you know, since I am a new addition to these forums my posts all require admin approval, so sometimes they might be delayed.

EDIT: Apparently not anymore!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Recruitment Open- OSE game "Adventures in Tegel County"

#20 Post by dmw71 »

Edeldhur wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:43 pm EDIT: Apparently not anymore!
It's only the first two. You're officially official now. ;)
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Return to “Looking for players or games”