Gary Con XVI

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Gary Con XVI

#1 Post by dmw71 »

So, I just discovered last night that all non-virtual badges for Gary Con XVI are sold out (unless you're 12 and under).

A famous (to me) DM, who frequently runs games at conventions, sent me the following:
Let me pose an alternative: There’s absolutely nothing stopping us from playing a game at the hotel at some point over the weekend outside of the convention (for example, in one of the free gaming areas or even up at my suite). I’d be pleased to run a game for you and a few others (I can fill seats at the table or you can invite people, as you choose).

I guess I'm wondering:

Is there anyone here already planning on attending Gary Con that might be interested in taking him up on this (extremely) generous offer?

Edit: I should add, this would be for an AD&D 1e/OSRIC game.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Gary Con XVI

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Julie and I go to every GC.

Something tells me they will be releasing more silver badges eventually.

Is this Carlos?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:15 pm Something tells me they will be releasing more silver badges eventually.
I’ll have to keep my eyes out for that.
OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:15 pmIs this Carlos?
It is.
-- Project --
-- DM --

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Cool!

We might be up for this, but scheduling is always a nightmarish endeavor, especially trying to get 2X seats in the good games, so it will obviously depend on day and time.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:27 pm We might be up for this, but scheduling is always a nightmarish endeavor, especially trying to get 2X seats in the good games, so it will obviously depend on day and time.
Because of his extremely generous offer, this will need to be at his convenience — which is easy for me since I don’t even have a badge for the convention at all — but my guess it will be outside of “normal” game start/end times.

I’ll obviously try to narrow down some details, but it’s entirely possible he might not even know yet.
-- Project --
-- DM --

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I get that.

I don’t even have my own games registered yet. (still on vacation)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

dmw71 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:23 pm
OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:15 pm Something tells me they will be releasing more silver badges eventually.
I’ll have to keep my eyes out for that.
Luke just said this:
Check back in early January to see if we have added more based on the number of events

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#8 Post by Scott308 »

They've been discussing that on the Discord. Sounds like January 6 is the date if they decide to add more badges.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

Nice. Thanks, guys.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#10 Post by Scott308 »

January 6 at noon they will open sales for additional silver badges.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:01 pm January 6 at noon they will open sales for additional silver badges.
Nice! Thanks for the update.
-- Project --
-- DM --

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The most predictable convention out there. :lol:

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

Finally got around to purchasing a (silver) badge. I'm not sure how many days I'll actually go (maybe just one), but looking forward to it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#14 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:48 pm So, I just discovered last night that all non-virtual badges for Gary Con XVI are sold out (unless you're 12 and under).

A famous (to me) DM, who frequently runs games at conventions, sent me the following:
Let me pose an alternative: There’s absolutely nothing stopping us from playing a game at the hotel at some point over the weekend outside of the convention (for example, in one of the free gaming areas or even up at my suite). I’d be pleased to run a game for you and a few others (I can fill seats at the table or you can invite people, as you choose).

I guess I'm wondering:

Is there anyone here already planning on attending Gary Con that might be interested in taking him up on this (extremely) generous offer?

Edit: I should add, this would be for an AD&D 1e/OSRIC game.
Any update on this? I'm contemplating (haven't run it by my wife yet so it may not matter what I want to do) heading over there Wednesday evening to see if I can find a pick-up game to get into. I don't have a badge for Gary Con, but the con doesn't start until Thursday so they would not be able to enforce a badge policy until then, unless I tried to slip into something official like a welcome party (although, I still might try that anyway . :twisted: )

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You and 500 other people. :lol:

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:44 pm Any update on this? I'm contemplating (haven't run it by my wife yet so it may not matter what I want to do) heading over there Wednesday evening to see if I can find a pick-up game to get into.
He proactively reached out to me about a week ago (which I thought was pretty awesome) and asked me when I would want to join one of his games, and, since I didn't know when I was even going to be attending, I declined claiming a seat so he could make it available to his other supporters.

I saw yesterday that he posted he had the following availabilities:

Thursday, March 21st at 8:00am (3 seats available)
Saturday, March 23rd at 8:00am (1 seat available)

Unfortunately, I have no idea if those have been claimed or not.

Hmmm... I didn't have any games or events booked until just now, when I snagged an autograph session with Kelsey Dionne (of The Arcane Library and Shadowdark fame) on Thursday afternoon.

So, I just sent Carlos an email to see if a seat for his Thursday game is still available. Maybe?.

There is.

So, it looks like I'll be heading up there for a game on Thursday morning, an autograph in the afternoon, then probably heading back home (unless I can find something on Thursday night).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#17 Post by Scott308 »

One note on the autograph session- get there early. They are first come first serve and signing up doesn't guarantee you anything. It is just so it's on your schedule so you will have a reminder.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:42 pm One note on the autograph session- get there early. They are first come first serve and signing up doesn't guarantee you anything. It is just so it's on your schedule so you will have a reminder.
Good to know. In truth, however, I'm really not all that interested in an actual autograph. I'm more just looking forward to making an introduction, as Kelsey and I have been corresponding for five years now without ever having actually met in person.

Kind of like how it would be exciting to meet members from here on the forums in person. I've been here on the site for twelve years now and have meet three members -- OGRE MAGE, Hotgoblin, and Norjax -- in person, with a handful of others virtually. I know the idea has been floated previously, but it would be really cool to start an Unseen Servant Con. :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I’ll set something like that up eventually. :D

We are around today Dave, so shout if you see us.

My first game is at 10:00 in the Italian restaurant upstairs. Guess they REALLY needed extra table space this year. :lol:

Hopefully we can find each other through the unwashed masses. :twisted:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

If you are going to be in an overflow area how can you beat an Italian restaurant. :biggrin:

Return to “General RPG discussion”