Watchfort Reclamation, Summer 668

scarik
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Watchfort Reclamation, Summer 668

#41 Post by scarik »

Hodlar and Macnav loose their missiles.

In the first volley half of the monstrous arachnids are injured or dispatched and the other half charge the adventurers. They aren't very fast along the ground, they look it due to their size but they are no faster than a man's walk. That is until they get within leading range and close the distance in the air at frightening velocity.

Melee ensues.

The five bravest warriors at the front each get a spider flying at their face.
I name them as Ji-ho, Si-woo, Bofur, Gurav, Korev
Well-armed (believe all but Korev) hit on 3+
Spiders hit back on 6 due to the leap (5 for Korev due to no shield)

These critters are Lightly Armored and have 1 HD. Animal morale is different than for intelligent enemies. In the case of spiders they don't check group casualties at all as they don't care about their allies. Individually if they are subdued they flee automatically and if reduced to 0hp they keep fighting until they die if they are in melee or they flee at range if they can.

Hodlar heavy xbow, vs spider [_2d6]=(5+4)=9, [_2d6]=(5+4)=9 1 kill
Macnav Javelin, vs spider [_1d6]=(4)=4, [_1d6]=(3)=3 subdual

This is 4 killed and 1 scared off I believe.
That leaves 5 of them to rush you in melee.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Leitz »

Initiative[_1d6]=(5)=5

Jing Ji-ho

Moving towards the spiders as they charged, Ji-ho and Si-woo changed to their swords and began to hack them to bits. Drotik began to reload.

Ji-ho: 2 hits Ji-ho Melee attacks: [1d6+1]=5+1=6 [1d6+1]=3+1=4 [1d6+1]=1+1=2

Si-woo: 1 hit 2d6 NPC Melee attacks [_2d6]=(2+6)=8

Can other fighters also join in? If there's room, there's Rolton, Gar, and Verdugo. If they can attack, here are their rolls:
Rolton: (+1 STR?) 1 hit 2d6 NPC Melee attacks [_2d6]=(5+1)=6
Verdugo: 2 hits 2d6 NPC Melee attacks [_2d6]=(3+4)=7
Gar: Miss, Lightly Armed

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by scarik »

The leap/charge of the arachnids is mano y mano. You can get help next round.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by scarik »

While the leaping creatures are unnerving they are easily dispatched in hand to hand combat. It is the work of under a minute to slay the remaining aggressors and at first all seems well until Jing Ji-ho feels a hot sensation in his hand.

Gurav Melee [_2d6]=(5+5)=10
Gurav Melee [_2d6]=(5+5)=10
Bofur Melee [_3d6]=(2+1+6)=9

Spiders
Spider vs Ji-ho [_1d6]=(6)=6: Hit. 1 subdual + poison. They don't do actual hp damage with their bites.
Spider vs Si-woo [_1d6]=(2)=2
Spider vs Bofur [_1d6]=(5)=5
Spider vs Gurav [_1d6]=(4)=4
Spider vs Korev [_1d6]=(3)=3

Ji-ho needs to make a save vs poison with a +2 due to the relatively weak nature of this venom. (Pair + CON mod normally).

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

Ji-ho looked at his hand, and then held it up to Morwen. "We can see what the effects are, now."

Passes the Save vs Poison: 8 + 2 Pair dice roll [_2d6]=(6+2)=8

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by scarik »

Jing Ji-ho can feel the burning of the venom. It has yet to spread far but with every heartbeat it moves a little deeper into the minor wound.

Ji-ho takes 1 subdual damage and may try the save again.
Hemia Healer Skill [2d6+1]=8+1=9
She got a 9 so regardless of your next roll the effect ends. You may take some more damage. If you roll snake eyes you'll need to use Antivenom or be wounded.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Leitz »

Pair dice roll [_2d6]=(6+2)=8

Given the +2 for weakness of the venom, Ji-ho has rolled a 10 for his save both times.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by scarik »

Jing Ji-ho is a bit drained but in no more danger. The venom of these spiders is weak for their size and not meant to take down a grown man. Sengrim remarks that larger versions of these monsters are said to be more toxic. These ones are merely immature specimens.

With the battle over and a careful search of the crevices using torches they clear the chamber and determine that the spiders had come from the southern passage. The eastern one is a stout, old door whose hinges are heavily fouled with spider silk and rust.

Leitz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:18 am Pair dice roll [_2d6]=(6+2)=8

Given the +2 for weakness of the venom, Ji-ho has rolled a 10 for his save both times.
Those look like you rolled 6 and got 8s due to the +2. Ji-ho has no other bonuses to save vs poison. In any case the danger has passed.

Treasure found:

Coins worth 43p made mainly of silver.

11 Pitons (1p, 5.5 lb) slightly rusted
18 Sling Bullets (1f, 9 lb) a bit misshapen
Pair of Bone Dice (1f) soot covered
Rack of Firewood (1 sp, 200 lb) packed too tight to have caught fire

Some other treasure was destroyed by the flames including the sacks the pitons and bullets were in.
Attachments
WF2.jpg
WF2.jpg (38.8 KiB) Viewed 1968 times

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby says quietly, "If there was anything dangerous beyond this door it must have noticed the sound of battle." Then he looks to see which way the eastern door can open.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

"If there is something, does it care?" Ji-ho replied to Barnaby. "Nothing came through when we fought the ogres, and that battle was much louder. Still, blocking the door after it is inspected would be good. We have plenty of wood."

While the eastern door is being inspected, hopefully also by the dwarves, since it is likely of dwarven craftsmanship, Ji-ho tasked Rolton and Drotik to keep a watch on the southern passage while he and the others moved the cord of wood to block the eastern door. They started a little away from the door, to save time, and once the inspection is done, filled in the gap between the door and the wood pile.

This also ensures there's nothing hiding behind the wood. :)
Last edited by Leitz on Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by tibbius »

"Watch that be the room with all the other treasure," mutters Dramm.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#52 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bofur remains quiet and waits.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by scarik »

The door is certainly of Dwarfen make and is the first surviving door they have found in this place. Buried under webbing and dust with what look like deliberate scratches by small claws is a wrought sigil with the name Jungrak written in Dawi runes. Familiarity with Dawi names makes it obvious they were related to the Graka Clan and while Gurav and the others know several such people back home it is Bofur who actually knows an old Dwarf back in his village whose name is Koli Jungrak.

As they barricade the door with the found wood and pitons Hodlar inspects it and declares that the bolts are thrown on the other side and seem to still be in working order if you had a strong enough arm to overcome the grime and lack of upkeep. "I could drill a hole for a pry bar and Kurev could force it open should we need to open it," he reports.

No other inhabitants bother them as they finish their work and get a careful look into the next chamber.

The archway holds an iron-banded portcullis that is stuck by disuse and fouled by webs. It is easily propped up with scrap wood for added security. It guards a 10 foot square kill box with matching gate on the east wall leading into the next chamber. That is also easily made safe.

The chamber beyond is the same span north to south as the previous chamber but twice as wide west to east making it the largest they have encountered so far. The Dwarves quickly concur that this was the main hall and given how damp it is its obvious that the nighttime fog has seeped through the ceiling. That ceiling is quite collapsed though and the chamber is strew with earth, stone and the foundations of the tower that once sat above ground. Time has seen too it that the earth and wet have fully blocked any access to the air above. The room smells of must and decay.

At first only silence greets them and there are far fewer webs here. The room is largely open with the giant cobwebs largely kept to the ceilings and corners. There are still some that block easy passage across the area but it seems the moisture helps keep them from completely clogging the place.

Hodlar Machinist roll [2d6+2]=8+2=10 Success
Wandering Monster [1d6]=4 None
Surprise [1d6]=3

WF 3.jpg
WF 3.jpg (53.01 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
[/ooc]
Last edited by scarik on Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added in [i]as the previous chamber[/i] as I had forgotten it. Oops.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

"Excellent," Ji-ho replied when Bofur mentioned the dwarf Jungrak. "A source of information, certainly. Perhaps more. Your insight will help."

After Hodlar had given his report, Ji-ho thanked him. "That will be good to know, and Dramm may well be right. We need to find treasure if it is here. Rebuilding will cost money, but it will be a long term investment."

As the looked into the main hall, as identified by the dwarves, Ji-ho assessed their energy level and the tasks still to come. He made a particular note of how many torches they had available. "The roof looks weak, Gurav. Do you think it is sound enough? We can walk along the edges, but if spiders lair in the wall that puts at a disadvantage. If we are in the middle of the hall, then we have more warning but are at risk from falling debris."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

Sticking his head in the main hall again, Ji-ho waved his torch around and took stock. He moved back through the first grate, and looked at the others. "We need to make sure the room is clear, and to see if there are any other exits. I will go in front, and work my way down the middle of the room to the far end. Drotik, Rolton, you take the far side, but stay between me and the far wall. Morwen, if you and your servants can stay near them, but closer to the centerline of the room."

"Si-woo, Verdugo, you take the near wall. Same distances, and your job is to check out the debris in the corner of the room once we make sure the rest of the room is clear. Hemia, stay close and support them."

"Gurav, you are behind me and between the others. Inspect the roof as best you can, and if we are attacked, you are the first reserve. Move quickly to support. Everyone else, unless you need to be closer to do your best, stay close to the exit gate. If we are attacked and badly out numbered, everyone will retreat with haste. Your job is to make sure we have a clear path of retreat."

"Use the rule of thirds for yourself and your supplies. One third to move forward, one third to exit, and one third in reserve. It will do us no good to exhaust ourselves and then be attacked."

"Does anyone have any questions or concerns?"

If there are no questions or issues raised, Ji-ho will move forward ENE until he is 20' north of the south wall, and midway between the east and west walls. Then he'll move north. The others will follow and spread out, eventually all heading north.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#56 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bofur shrugs "Makes sense ta me. I ain't really got too many concerns. What your saying makes sense."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by scarik »

Caution is warranted. It is not long after they begin moving across the room that some of the dark corners come alive with more of the large spiders that accosted them before. The difference is that this time they spend no time attacking decoys nor dithering about but leap like a hurled net.

Its not all that surprising that there were more of the things lurking there, but the suddenness of their assault still catches the adventurers flat-footed.

Please read over and object if necessary.

Wandering Monster [1d6]=5 Yes due to debris pile
Wandering Monster Result [2d6]=7 Large Spiders
No. Appearing [2d10]=11
Reaction [1d100]=4 They attack...
Surprise [1d6]=2 With surprise!

Random leap attacks [_11d4]=(4+3+1+1+4+4+2+2+2+3+2)=28

On a 1 or 2 they go at the vanguard, 3 the middle and 4 the rear.
Van is: Ji-ho and company including those keeping watch on the pile itself away from where he physically is.
Mid is: Morwen and co, Bofur and Co
Rear is: Barnaby et al, NPC dwarves

Fighters are assumed to be on alert and get hit first to protect non-fighters. I have assigned the attacks as follows. I'm going to hold off on rolling in case you want to quibble, but I think this is how the characters would choose to respond in these circumstances with the better armed and better paid accepting more risk in general.

Van: 6 attacks
1-4 Ji-ho, 5-6 Si-woo [_6d6]=(6+6+4+2+1+5)=24
3 for Ji-ho's group (2 Ji-ho, 1 Rolton)
3 for Si-woo's (2 Si-woo, 1 Verdugo)

Mid: 2 attacks
Evens Morwen, Odds Bofur [_2d6]=(2+2)=4
Both toward Morwen.
Macnav Perception [2d6]=9
Macnav interdicts both in time.

Rear: 3 attacks
1-4 Gurav, 5-6 Barnaby [_3d6]=(6+3+2)=11
1 for Barnaby (1 vs Dramm)
2 for Gurav (1 for Gurav, 1 for Korev)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Leitz »

I'm okay with keeping the hits as is, but would like to clarify in case it comes into play later.

The one group split into five; think of it as a baseball diamond, with 2nd base as north. (Military terms in parens.)

First (Right Flank): Rolton, Drotik, Morwen
Second (Van): Ji-ho
Third (Left Flank): Si-woo, Verdugo, Hemia (partly because Hemia is still uncomfortable with Morwen)
Home (Rear): Barnaby and whomever else.
Pitcher's mound (Main): Gurav and NPC dwarves

Meta game, I was avoiding giving detailed direction to the other PCs and their hirelings. That's why Ji-ho said "unless you need to be closer to do your best, stay close to the exit gate."

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by scarik »

A flurry of violence and shouting commences. Ji-ho and Si-woo are both bitten in the initial rush before the rest can assist.

Its Sunday so moving along.
Saves take place in round 1 so must be made before fighting incase they incapacitate you.
For Round 2 you stay engaged with the spiders who attacked but may decide how to fight them: Ie any Fighter may force a number of HD of enemies to focus on them. This can allow you to rescue downed allies.
A max of 2 people with hand weapons can attack each spider. 3 can attack if 1 has a spear, 4 can attack only if at least 3 use spears.
Missile attacks are technically possible but are significantly more likely to hit an ally than an enemy in the scrum.
Spiders now need 7+ to hit vs Well-armed combatants as they lose their leap bonus.

Round 1:The Spiders have Surprise so you can't fight back this round.
They hit most of you on 6.

Spiders vs Ji-ho [_2d6]=(2+6)=8 1 hit. Roll to Save vs Poison +2.
Spider vs Rolton [_1d6]=(5)=5 Miss
Spider vs Si-woo [_2d6]=(1+6)=7 1 hit. Roll to Save vs Poison +2.

Spider vs Macnav [_2d6]=(1+4)=5 Miss
Spider vs Dramm [_1d6]=(4)=4 Miss

Spider vs Gurav [_1d6]=(4)=4 Miss
Spider vs Korev [_1d6]=(2)=2 Miss

roobeastie
Strider
Strider

#60 Post by roobeastie »

Morwen

Recognizing that she may not be the most effective in this situation, but wanting to do something to assist nonetheless, Morwen shifts her positioning and uses her staff to help Macnav, prompting Cuivne to do the same. Morwen trusts that Macnav can handle himself, but still - no one said she and Cuivne couldn't put the boot in as well.

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”