Ironguard: Seeking the Nergal Sanctum (Expedition thread).

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ironguard: Seeking the Nergal Sanctum (Expedition thread).

#61 Post by Spearmint »

Looks like a failure, -3 hp
A skill check success is 'equal to or less than' the attribute score, so vs 11, you pass.

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#62 Post by archolewa »

Spearmint wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:00 pm
Looks like a failure, -3 hp
A skill check success is 'equal to or less than' the attribute score, so vs 11, you pass.
Ah, my bad. I thought "roll under" was literally "roll under." Well, that's nifty!

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Gunter weaves and bobs through the fiery maelstrom and miraculously avoids the burning liquid.

Unscathed, he turns his attention to fire fighting, upending jugs of small beer to try and quench the flames.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Golgarth: Dexterity check vs 11 [4d6]=13

Takes some fire damage, -3hp. He can tend to his wounds later. I will leave the firefighting to others, pulling any injured and blinded away from any dangers.

Golgarth: 1st Aid Kit: Wisdom check vs 13: [4d6-1]=15-1=14 kit [1d4]=1

I don't seem to have a specific skill to treat minor burns, but I will treat Selina, to bind her earlier wounds +1hp once the dangers have passed.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Spearmint »

The Last Dance

There is an aftermath, fires put out, carrion crows despatched. The zombie body of Norbert taken away for burial or cremation somewhere discreet.

"A bad day, but not the worst. If the Duchy revenue inspectors or rival gangs can't shut me down, I'll be damned to allow some upstart cultists to come and shake down my turf." Ness Costner says defiantly.

His goons clear patrons out, closing the tavern from further business for the day. You are invited to stay, given the run of a common room. It seems certainly those behind the Undead attack have an interest in his illicit business deals and probings. Perhaps the same cause is rooted in the resurgent Nergal threat.

Wounds are dressed, meals and ales provided for.

Golgarth, Gunter, Selina, Dadely, Sidkrake can form an investigative quintet. After more introductions are made, you can share basic knowledge and rumours and structure a plan to tackle the threats, known and unknown.

Actions, I will update next with some investigation options, but each character make an action post and add a wisdom/intelligence check which I will use to resolve questions, answers and information.

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#66 Post by archolewa »

Selina

"Oye, Golgarth come here and study these birds with me. I want to know what killed them the first time." Selina is going to gather up some of the (re)killed crows and study them. It's impossible to believe that the cultists just so happened to stumble upon an entire murder of crows dead from natural causes to raise. Knowing what killed them the first time might offer a lead, or a hint of what these cultists are capable of.

Selina shakes her head in frustration. "Are there any druids or something in the area? I find it hard to believe someone could murder and raise an entire herd of bison, and then an entire murder of crows without a caretaker of nature being aware of it."

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#67 Post by tristenc »

Dadely checks to see if any of the others are hurt badly and will offer healing to the most injured. If all decline, he will apply the healing prayer to himself. Arcantryl, Great Alchemist and Wise Scholar; let our eyes be opened to these mysteries and our wounds closed that we may be whole to better serve and seek knowledge.

Afterwards Dadely will introduce himself to Selina and Sidrake. Ah, nice to meet you both. I understand there is some sort of investigation going about regarding the goings-on here today. Some sort of cultic activity? I must admit, my interest is piqued in this matter.

======
CLW [1d8]=8

Unraveling the mystery of the spell on the wrappings?
Dadely int (17) [4d6]=18

Looks like it will remain a mystery for now

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#68 Post by archolewa »

tristenc wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:54 pm Afterwards Dadely will introduce himself to Selina and Sidrake. Ah, nice to meet you both. I understand there is some sort of investigation going about regarding the goings-on here today. Some sort of cultic activity? I must admit, my interest is piqued in this matter.
Selina

"A pleasure. My name is Selina." Selina takes a moment from her collection and study of the crows to bow her head to Dadely. "My thanks, but I have no need for any magical healing. Gunter bandaged my wounds from the crows most effectively, and my burns are minor, barely a nuisance. As for the cultists, apparently there is a Nergal cult active in the area, that we are trying to track down and stamp out. Beyond that, I don't know any more than you do, and very possibly less. I do not typically concern myself with the machinations of gods. Mortal politics are more than enough for me!"

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Once calm is restored Gunter proposes Dadely and Selina visit the Collegiate Library while he and Golgarth visit the Sheriff.
Hvalreki wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:47 am Gunter
The proprietors taken to the jailhouse on remand for questioning which is connected to the Sheriff's office and city Watch. (the prison for convicted people).
"Hmm, I am a Lance Corporal in the Sherriff's Irregular's so he knows Stonefather and I personally. Tomorrow we can visit the Sheriff and see if he'll let us talk to the convicts or at least share what he's learned from them.

Scholar, you and the lass can check the Collegiate library and then we all meet back here for dinner to exchange what we've found. Sid can stay here and see what he picks up and keep an eye on our rooms and horses. He may have more luck with rumors without us around anyway.

Does that work for everyone?"

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Remember Sidkrake too. It works for me, perhaps Sid can go with Selina & Dadely, never know, a sedate library could still be a hotbed of dangers.

What of the other fellow, this Xander, the companion of Dadely?

Once the dangers are clear and fires out, my evening spent on going over what we know and sharing ideas.Golgarth: Wisdom check vs 15: [4d6]=17

Probably tired and not thinking right, the thoughts of Norbert, Nergal and Carrion Crows affect his concentration.

I am fine picking the investigation up tomorrow and one of use should investigate the 'Green Flame' building. Maybe the mages will have better insight with that.

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#71 Post by tristenc »

Dadely is game for either the established plan or visiting the Green Flame!
Last edited by tristenc on Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#72 Post by archolewa »

Selina

Selina shrugs. "The library sounds fine. I wasn't an especially sharp student, but I am no stranger to books."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Sure, touching base with the Sheriff might be okay but I am aware we want a low profile and should not disclose that Lord Krothos has commissioned us as the Citadel is his Father's territory and jurisdiction. We don't want to kick up a fuss and spoil any investigation before it has really started.

Golgarth: Wisdom check vs 15: [4d6]=14

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Spearmint »

I am driving today and through to the evening so will update here on Friday.

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#75 Post by tristenc »

Dadely nods at Selina's assent. Once at the library he begins his investigation.

===
presuming int and/or wis? Each 17

Dadely INT [4d6]=11, wis [4d6]=17
Last edited by tristenc on Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Spearmint »

Seeking answers and the Nergal Sanctum.
Selina shakes her head in frustration. "Are there any druids or something in the area? I find it hard to believe someone could murder and raise an entire herd of bison, and then an entire murder of crows without a caretaker of nature being aware of it."
The crows just look like uncommon, large black birds, malformed and grotesque from taking on a 'zombie' nature. Regarding the undead stampede, conclusions are just speculative. Certainly marsh dwelling bovine herds are common along the regional rivers and even in ancient times, such creatures migrated across the Barrow Moor wilderness. One group being taken or even resurrected for diabolic purposes, primarily attacking the Herne (God of the Hunt) shrine and then driven into the village outskirts is assumed. The two might not be related incidents but the initial thought was the Wight and buffaloes came about as a result of the Nergal cultists' execution.

Dadely brings divine blessing upon himself, restoring his health and composure. The spell upon the burial linens may need more research but certainly it is linked to some kind of bane, perhaps penalising attempts to Turn the zombie or afflict and Lawful or Good aligned influences.
Gunter

Once calm is restored Gunter proposes Dadely and Selina visit the Collegiate Library while he and Golgarth visit the Sheriff.
The proposal seems taken and the next day, the team break into trio's, Dadely, Selina & Sidkrake take the morning to investigate Green Flame house and research in the Collegiate Library.

Meanwhile, Gunter, Golgarth & Xander go to the Sheriff's office, seeking to further their own investigations.

July 12th 1066.
Green flame erupted from cellar of a backstreet apothecary, burning the place down and releasing a flock of mischievous Mephits. The proprietors have been taken into custody.
Dadely, Selina & Sidkrake wander the backstreet alleys, taking directions from various 'cobblestone urchins' who 'knows someone who knows someone' that lives nearby to the now derelict apartment. After a few twists and turns you get pointed down a run down street, an old mill on one side, flop houses and shanty dwellings with tinker industries behind their boarded up and closed doors. The trio get looks as they make their way between gutters but apart from a beggar's hand out for a copper piece and some bread, there is no hassle to approaching the 'Green Flame' tenement. The place is the last in a row of crooked buildings, burned through both if its storeys, the roof partially collapsed and beams propped up to shore the exterior walls from caving in. The interior is blackened with soot and still carries the aftertaste of oily burnings. There is no front door, that lies in pieces upon the floor. You cross the threshold into a well looted shop area, strewn with broken crockery and glass jars. Beyond is a staircase to a cellar, boarded up and padlocked with a note pinned that says 'danger: keep out' which you might assume relates to the structural sincerity of the place rather than other more insidious threats.

As well as the locked cellar, there is a kitchen area and burned out upper rooms.

Actions Selina & Dadely.

Attachments
300px-Apothecary_House_Quest.jpg
300px-Apothecary_House_Quest.jpg (13.88 KiB) Viewed 2461 times

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Spearmint »

Seeking answers and the Nergal Sanctum.

Gunter & Golgarth go to the Sheriff's office.
Asking for nought but future aid, you can request Sheriff Longstaff for any mentorship in regard to martial training, fighter skill upgrades. In terms of specific aid, receive a Duchy 'provost baton', an implement of the militia police. It is a cudgel type weapon but allows the wielder to 'cosh &/or Command', (imbued with Command spell, activated once per day).

Just over a week ago, you concluded the Favours expedition and downtime. Now you return looking for favours yourself. Sheriff Longstaff receives the trio the after passing various protocols and you can present your questions and concerns,

Actions please, add a [4d6] with your post.

Attachments
Sheriff Longstaff: citadel provost marshall
Sheriff Longstaff: citadel provost marshall
PeterCushing-1960-SwordofSherwoodForest.jpg (101.99 KiB) Viewed 2454 times

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#78 Post by archolewa »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:40 pm Dadely, Selina & Sidkrake wander the backstreet alleys, taking directions from various 'cobblestone urchins' who 'knows someone who knows someone' that lives nearby to the now derelict apartment. After a few twists and turns you get pointed down a run down street, an old mill on one side, flop houses and shanty dwellings with tinker industries behind their boarded up and closed doors. The trio get looks as they make their way between gutters but apart from a beggar's hand out for a copper piece and some bread, there is no hassle to approaching the 'Green Flame' tenement. The place is the last in a row of crooked buildings, burned through both if its storeys, the roof partially collapsed and beams propped up to shore the exterior walls from caving in. The interior is blackened with soot and still carries the aftertaste of oily burnings. There is no front door, that lies in pieces upon the floor. You cross the threshold into a well looted shop area, strewn with broken crockery and glass jars. Beyond is a staircase to a cellar, boarded up and padlocked with a note pinned that says 'danger: keep out' which you might assume relates to the structural sincerity of the place rather than other more insidious threats.

As well as the locked cellar, there is a kitchen area and burned out upper rooms.

Actions Selina & Dadely.

Selina

Selina will peek in at the charred place and shake her head. "Remnants of magical accidents are not my specialty. I'm going to go ask a few questions of the beggar. Watching folks come and go is all he has to do all day. Could be he might have seen something."

Selina retraces her steps back to the beggar, holds up a silver piece, and nods to the Green Flame. "Answer my questions and you get this silver. That place over there that burned down with green flames the other day. What do you know about it? What kinds of people visited it before it burned down? Did anybody visit it the night it burned down?"

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#79 Post by tristenc »

Dadely nods at Selina's plan and begins to investigate the fire itself to see if he can determine the origin of the fire and if the locked door might truly be for structural reasons (issues with the integrity of the building) or if that is a ruse.

====
int score 17
investigating int [4d6]=16

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#80 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

After making his salutations with the Sheriff and his retinue, Gunter asks the Sheriff about the prisoners taken from the Green Flame after the explosion nd if they've gleaned any information that might be useful. If the Sheriff is amenable he and Golgarth would like to question them as well.

:roll:

Somehow, Peter Cushing's head looks abnormally large for his body in that photo :D

Return to “Settlement: Ironguard Motte”