Ironguard: Seeking the Nergal Sanctum (Expedition thread).

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Ironguard: Seeking the Nergal Sanctum (Expedition thread).

#41 Post by tristenc »

Dadely

Ah, I see. Well met to you both. I am a priest as well, though that may have been obvious to you. I serve Arcantryl, god of knowledge. I think perhaps getting to the root of this issue and deciphering the mysteries therein would be a worthy pursuit. Hmm... perhaps I could consolidate our discoveries for the college; that way future researchers would have some fact-based data to inform their works. Accumulated knowledge is quite like masonry, each new tier is only as strong as the base it was laid upon. If the foundation is not solid, then the new construction cannot help but falter under stress.
Last edited by tristenc on Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Spearmint »

I will update here shortly

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Spearmint »

The Last Dance

In the cellar:
What became of the mephit marauders?
They flit about as pests within the Citadel. A minor reward available for their capture or dismissal.

Those below 'meet & greet', deciding to unite against a common foe which may be overlapping both their concerns. The inscribed wraps may need more inspection and could possibly be modified to alternate uses.

As far as understanding the incoherent babble the zombie utters, it seems to be a prayer of summoning, exhorting a host of fiendish help or calling curses down upon those who do it harm.

Ness Costner has heard enough. He will ask one of the priests, probably Golgarth as the elder to "Give Norbert any last rites, last requests and a quick death."

you can summarily despatch the zombie as it lies restrained upon the table.

As to who or what the zombie summons, that becomes apparent upstairs in the bar.

In the Saloon

Selina urges the bartender to let her intrude on below. He doesn't budge initially but after a minute the carrion crows actually burst into the saloon. A flock of rabid, half rotted black birds, they set about the tavern patrons, pecking in a furious frenzy.

Sidkrakeenters, having struck a few down but seeking shelter inside lest he be overwhelmed outside. He bleeds from a few stab wounds but not profusely.

Initially taken by surprise, the saloon soons becomes in disarray. The alarm sounded by some tolling of the bar bell, those downstairs can react to the sudden invasion.

actions everyone , Selina, as you are upstairs, you can give me two attacks or actions while the others respond to the alarm.

These 'carrion crows' are a huge number and while only of normal size, a swarm of them could easily cause a victim of multiple deep, penetrating stabbing beaks to bleed out quickly.

Attachments
IMG_20231219_022304.jpg
IMG_20231219_022304.jpg (124.07 KiB) Viewed 4505 times

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#44 Post by tristenc »

Dadely's subconscious mind, still listening to the babble of the undead restrained, finally assembles the intent of the chant. Oh $#it... he mutters audibly. Lay it to rest now! It's calling something! Like a summoning!

Dadely moves to bodily block the only entrance to the room, his shield and flail ready ony to provide a defensive barrier. He whispers hoarsely to Arcantryl the prayer of Sanctuary, hoping that the blessing of his god can turn the tide of evil away from this room.

Arcantryl, great revealer of mystery and Wise Scholar of All the world's forces. I humbly beg your Protection, like oil unto water or the opposing poles of magnetic force. I prithee humbly, protect thy servant that he may gain greater understanding and glorify your truths. The true believer, with youthful faith Dadely braces himself, blocking the secret entrance as completely as possible with his shield and his body.

If you interrupt the summoning by sending the poor man to his final rest, it may disrupt the summoning He calls to the clerics of Crom

====
Dadely casts Sanctuary on himself and tries to bodily block the entrace to their chamber w/ his shield and self on full-defensive mode (not sure how that works mechanically in 1e)

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter
tristenc wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:44 amOh $#it... he mutters audibly. Lay it to rest now! It's calling something! Like a summoning!
In a blur Gunter’s dagger is buried to the hilt in the eye of the zombie.

“Cromm’s mercy,” he mumbles under his breath as it finally stops twitching.

He wipes the blade on the dead creatures shirt, sheathes it and readies his trident and shield for combat.
Last edited by Hvalreki on Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#46 Post by archolewa »

Selina

Selina tries to shove the bartender into the backroom her friends disappeared into. "Get my friends, you idiot! One of them's a cleric. These crows are undead!"

She will turn to face the tavern, sword drawn and shield up. She will attack any crows that get close.

Oof, nat 1 on her very first attack. That's not a bad omen at all...

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

If I can hear Selina, I will go upstairs otherwise I delay in order to bless poor Norbert with a holy wafer and sprinkling of holy water. I will say to Ness Costner that "as much as I might hate the necrotic and evil spirits resident in Undead, this man was in your pay, Mr Costner and you can be the 'Hand on the knife'. I am not an executioner to be summoned to his will."

If he needs a weapon, I can give him a mace to whack Norbert into 'Kingdom Come'.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Spearmint »

The Last Dance

Sidkrake runs in, forcefully shutting the door behind him. Several thuds are heard as crows impale themselves beak first into the door. A crash of windows as panes break and the black feathered carrion swoop in, a hundred or more in number to set upon the patrons.

While many merchants and citadel residents duck for cover under tables, a few grab daggers and other implements to fend the frenzied flock away.

Selina stabs out, lunging and swiping at the death crows, but they dodge aside her arcing blade.

Carrion Crows: vs Selina [1d20]=19 [1d20]=7 vs Sidkrake [1d20]=4 [1d20]=16Sidkrake: Dagger melee [1d20+1]=19+1=20 [1d4+1]=3+1=4

Both Sidkrake & Selina get pecked by the sharp beaks, -1hp each as the birds aim for heads and eyes. The mercenary draws his enchanted dagger to stab out himself, skewering a critter on the blade.

The cellar itself comes under assault as the flock swoop, drawn by the last voiced utterances of the zombie. Norbert is put out of his misery by Gunter as Golgarth invokes Cromm Cruach's mercy on his departing soul.

Costner has no time to respond to the rebuke as

Carrion Crows: [5d20]=41

two score carrion invade below. Dadely invokes his Sanctuary which causes a few birds to swerve him as he barricades the entrance to the cell quarter. Several thud into his wooden shield.
goes to the lid and turns the barrel tap.but instead of ale pouring out, the contraption actually works as a door lock and handle. The lid pushes inwards and you can file into the barrel, stepping out the other side in a secret vault area.
Costner snatches up the offered mace and swings the weapon to bludgeon a crow that escapes past the shield-bearer into the cell, splattering it into smithereens and feathers.

"I will not cower in the vault while my tavern goes to wrack and ruin. Forwards." he says and urging Dadely to advance into the first cellar, Golgarth & Gunter can follow behind.

Actions please, some in the cellar, Selina in the bar.

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#49 Post by tristenc »

Seeing that the barricade has had little effect, Dadely proffers his shield and Holy focus item, attempting to push back the buffeting wings of the undead swarming him!

Holy.. ack! Arc! Arc-an-tryl! P... Protect us! Back! you abominations!

===
Probably losing his focus in the winged Maelstrom
Dadely Turn Undead [1d20]=2

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#50 Post by archolewa »

Selina

Selina goes into a crouch, with her shield above her head. She drops her broadsword and pulls out her vial of holy water, and throws it at the largest congregation of crows in the room.

Gah! First time in a real fight, and against undead no less. Selina's wigging out a bit, and trying very hard not to.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Gunter follows Dadely and Costner into the next vault. He tries to skewer or shield bash any birds that come into striking distance of either weapon.

He shouts out to Golgarth, “Stonefather, remember the buffaloes? These birds are undead too, can you turn them?”

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Right on it!

Stepping forward behind Dadely I will pronounce a powerful rebuke upon the Undead Crows.

Golgarth: Turn Undead [1d20]=15 number turned [1d12]=2 rounds turned [3d4]=9

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Spearmint »

The Last Dance

The group charge out of the secret vault to confront the glock of undead carrion birds. Gunter skewers one and bashes another to fly into a wall. Ness crushes it underfoot and drawing a crossbow from his cloak, fires a double-barrel of crossbow bolts to snipe two birds mid flight

Dadely stumbles of his prayer as numerous crows assail him, pecking at his head, his eyes; only for the birds to take flight again and in a squawking of furious caws, several are rebuked by the wrath of Golgarth and half fly back out of the cellar, knocking the barman down on the way out.

with the birds being but a single hp, I used your score of 2, to Turn 2HD worth of undead birds.

Upstairs, Selina cracks open a vial of hoy water, the splashes streak as burning anointing upon two birds, -1hp each. Still the birds swoop, driven on by an unseen fury and vendetta.

A few patrons fight back, squishing a handful of birds, the crows themselves peck and stab, blinding with impunity. They dive, 'kamikaze' fashion into the rows of glass spirit bottles, smashing them open and causing pools of alcohol to flood the bar.

Sidkrake stabs a crow then shouts a warning, pointing to several crows that perch among the roof rafters. The birds burst with fiery feathers to swoop low, aiming in a death dive to ignite the flammable liquid.

"Get them!" he shouts.

Actions continue please

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Hearing Sidrake’s warning cry, Gunter drops his trident and switches to the club and shield to bat or bash the birds away from the spilled liquors.

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#55 Post by archolewa »

Selina

Even if she sliced one or more of the birds in two, it wouldn't stop their flaming feathers. Selina will attempt to flip the nearest table over on top of the puddle the birds are diving for, figuring that thick wood burns slower and less fiercely than alcohol, assuming it will catch at all. She will then pull off her cloak and use it to attempt to smother any flames that might light. Not sure what to roll for flame smothering, if anything.

At the same time, she will shout at the bar patrons to do the same. "Get benches, tables, anything over the puddles! Someone, cover the unspilled booze with thick blankets, anything to slow the fires!"

Table flip:

Shouting orders:

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#56 Post by tristenc »

Whispering a prayer hoarsely to Arcantryl, Dadely trusts in his God's acceptance of his ability to handle this particular situation. Laying about the fluttering and foul fowl he employs his flail as the symbol of a shooting steel star amid the cloud of aberrant undead.

===
Dadely vs Crow-Cloud [1d20]=13, [1d6+1]=3+1=4
Hits AC 7 (if no modifiers)

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

I will follow after the Turned crows.

If those that stayed in the saloon are considered a new undead group, I will rebuke them also.

If not then I will target a 'firebird' with my staff.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Spearmint »

The Last Dance

Ness Costner and his goons get to work on the undead crows that are still in the cellar. They kill a handful of carrion but are themselves pecked with one of the tavern heavies getting blinded in one eye.

Spilling out of the cellar staircase, Gunter, Dadely, Selina & Sidkrake batter down several birds but the fiery ones are two many and a few impact upon the bar, igniting mini fires that erupt and threaten to engulf a larger conflagration.

Orders are barked to fight the flames while Golgarth utters a second rebuke to turn those 'molotov crows' that launch themselves from their perches in the rafters.

Golgarth: Turn Undead vs Carrion Firebirds [1d20]=2 [1d12]=3 [3d4]=9

His words go unheeded and the Undead birds immolate themselves as little 'firebombs', crashing on the bar, the spirit bottles rack, the kegs of crafted ale and honeyed mead.

Carrion Firebirds: [1d20]=15 [1d20]=3 [1d20]=11 [1d20]=4 [1d20]=2 [1d20]=20Carrion Firebirds: [1d20]=12 [1d20]=13 [1d20]=3 [1d20]=6 [1d20]=18 [1d20]=6

Half the Carrion Firebirds are brough down or burn up before they can impact upon a target but six birds do get through and those by the bar take evasive cover among the upturned tables, under the blankets and pulled down tapestries.

Carrion Firebirds: fireball [6d6]=21 using the Armour based House rules to reduce explosive damage from cover.

The six fire-birds each start a d6 equivalent fire and cause a minimal -1hp splash of fiery liquid to cover those by the bar. I need everyone to make a Dexterity check vs [4d6], success indicates you dodge from the splashes, fail and take half damage -3hp

With those birds final act finished, the surviving crows of the devilish flock lose any further cohesion and impulse.

Actions rolls to avoid the fire damage and actions to stop the fire spreading in the tavern.

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#59 Post by tristenc »

Dadely doesn't hesitate, but rushes through the fire and the flames. He digs his heavy bedroll blanket out to smother the fire as best he can; suffering some burns in the process.

====
Fire-bird dex check (7) [4d6]=16

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#60 Post by archolewa »

Selina

Selina does her best to avoid the splashes, but prioritizes smothering the nearest flames with her cloak over avoiding them.

Looks like a failure, -3 hp

She points at the nearest, fastest looking person she sees. "You there! Run outside, sound the alarm for fire! We need every able bodied man, woman, and child here with buckets of water, and we need them *now*, or the whole block will go up!"

Return to “Settlement: Ironguard Motte”