thirdkingdom
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC I

#781 Post by thirdkingdom »

shaidar wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:38 pm Atticus

"Very well, but be ready to come to my aid."

He leaves his backpack, spear, bow and arrows behind (he still has his sword) and makes a slow and careful approach to the corner. As he gets closer can he make a guess to how close to the corner he thinks the campfire is?
Atticus cautiously creeps forward, the murmuring of voices growing louder. In the light from the campfire he can see that the corridor before him, heading to the southeast, runs for another twenty feet before terminating in a door. Stopping some ten feet before the intersection, he judges by the light and sound of talking that the campfire is somewhere between twenty and thirty feet away? The voices are clearer, and he's able to make out some of what they're saying, as they are speaking the human tongue:

"try again before heading back, but I don't know if it will work."

"The boss won't like it if we return empty-handed, you know."

"Well, maybe she'd like to come out here and do it herself, then."

This last comment raises snorts of derisive laughter.

"We've got another thirty or so minutes left and then we'll try it after lunch"

It sounds like there are at least four distinct voices.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#782 Post by shaidar »

Atticus looks back towards the others, gestures towards the corner and holds up four fingers.

He then points at his eyes and then at the corner, and looks for a response from the group.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#783 Post by sulldawga »

Wave Atticus back and then formulate a plan? I don't want him hanging out there by himself if those other delvers are only 30' away from him.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#784 Post by kalstone »

There's no indication they are hostile, so maybe just say hello?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#785 Post by sulldawga »

I am fine with saying hello but I want a backup plan in case things go sideways.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#786 Post by thirdkingdom »

Atticus withdraws back to the circular room and the companions begin to quietly discuss their options.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#787 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Brooku
This corridor is the first time in the complex they have not felt small and childlike.
snorts...

whispering with plenty of bravadoI can take at least two...can you little folks handle the other two?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#788 Post by sulldawga »

Themon says, Let's send one person back to the corner and have them say hello. We prepare an ambush back here. If things go south, the point person runs back here and then we hit them as soon as they enter.

Perhaps we pour some oil on the floor and light it as they enter the room? We might also try to sneak someone on the other side of the junction so when they run after us, we have someone who can attack from their rear? Risky, as they'll be cut off from the rest of us, but they'll get a sneak attack in.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#789 Post by sulldawga »

We might also wait and see if they're successful in opening whatever they're trying to open before we say hello.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#790 Post by Dicey »

Dirk threw in his two cents: “They’ll view us as competition. Others working for the “boss” will be aware of us. Better to avoid them.”

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#791 Post by sulldawga »

Dicey wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:41 pm Dirk threw in his two cents: “They’ll view us as competition. Others working for the “boss” will be aware of us. Better to avoid them.”
Themon replies, If they're going to be trouble, better to meet them on our terms instead of while we're engaged with another fight.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#792 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Brooku

Would be happy to say "Hello" to the little people but he wonders who stops to eat lunch in an old set of ruins, unless unlike his party they are familiar with this place? And what could they be trying to open that requires a rest period of 30 minutes or more?

These little people must be exceptionally weak if they need to rest after trying to open something? While they are resting should we approach them?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#793 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"I'm interested in what they are looking for. If they know how to open whatever it is, and can get this thing, then we should wait and then attack to take it from them. We need more information, I can go take a peek, or maybe one of our goblin friends would be less noticeable?"

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#794 Post by sulldawga »

Themon signals for the others to wait, and then takes his pack off and pulls out a pair of oil flasks.

I want to be ready for an ambush if they discover us and pursue back here.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#795 Post by thirdkingdom »

Fourthday, Sixmonth, Forty-thirdyear of the 16th Cycle
11:50 am
Twenty-three turns elapsed
The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings
Hex 13.42

The adventurers debate their options but are unable to come to a definitive plan. At roughly the time they end their debate they feel a low, rumbling shudder and the grinding of gears off in the distance. The murmuring coming from down the corridor stops.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#796 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"Ah, now would be the time to attack, catch them by surprise." he says quietly.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#797 Post by Dicey »

So be it,” said Dirk.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#798 Post by thirdkingdom »

Fourthday, Sixmonth, Forty-thirdyear of the 16th Cycle
12:00 pm
Twenty-four turns elapsed
The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings
Hex 13.42

Thus determined, the adventurers advance slowly forward. The right hand corridor runs southwest for twenty feet before taking a turn due south for ten feet before opening up into a larger chamber. The chamber is forty feet by forty feet, with the corridor in which the adventurers stand entering the northern wall ten feet from the east. A closed door is in the west wall, ten feet up from the south, and in the southern wall, directly opposite where the adventurers stand, a second closed door is recessed in a 10' deep by 10' wide niche, or alcove. It is around this alcove that five figures are clustered, backs towards the adventurers, watching someone crouched inside the alcove. It's hard to tell exactly what this sixth figure is doing, but they appear to be fiddling with the door. Two of the five standing figures hold lanterns, held up to provide light, and there's a smoldering campfire in the center of the room, casting a smoky haze throughout. A prone figure is up against the western wall; it appears to be dead, or perhaps sleeping very, very still.

There is more to observe in this room, but the adventurers have but a moment to act before they are likely spotted, and dawdling about will spoil their chance at surprise.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#800 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

Let's fly an arrow at the clearest target:

Short Bow: [1d20+1]=3+1=4;[1d6]=4

Return to “The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings (BX/OSE)”