IC I

thirdkingdom
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

Re: IC I

#761 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Brooku

Agrees with Mutton and falls into line at the back of the rank to protect the party's rear.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#762 Post by thirdkingdom »

Fourthday, Sixmonth, Forty-thirdyear of the 16th Cycle
11:10 am
Nineteen turns elapsed
The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings
Hex 13.42

The adventurers retrace their steps and return to the circular room. Opening the door in the northeast section of the curve, they behold a small chamber, 10 x 10. The walls are lined with shelves, and a number of objects, each relatively smallish, but all somewhat different, are set upon the shelves. Everything is covered in a thick coating of dust, and it is impossible to tell exactly what the objects are.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#763 Post by sulldawga »

Themon says, Interesting that no one's been in here in a while. Perhaps we check for traps before entering?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#764 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"Let me check it over."

He starts by checking the doorway, then the checks the floor in front of the door then makes his way around the room clockwise, checking the floor and shelves as he goes.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#765 Post by Dicey »

Dirk watched, weapon at the ready. Odd, thought the dervish, this room has not been ransacked before, judging by the undisturbed dust.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#766 Post by thirdkingdom »

11:20 am
Twenty turns elapsed
Hex 13.42

The small chamber is given a thorough search, but no trap or danger is detected. The items on the shelf prove to be glass jars, squat, with wide mouths and cork stoppers. At one point there were labels on the bottles, but they are so old that the paper labels are mostly disintegrated or crumble to dust as the jars are cleaned off. They are all empty, all except for one on the top shelf, shoved back against the wall, so that only Brooku is able to see it without climbing on the shelves. Looking at the jar, and blowing off the dust, it appears as if there are a dozen or so dried . . . something in the jar. They are roughly the same size and texture of cinammon sticks, but pale green in color.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#767 Post by sulldawga »

Brooku, don't put those in your mouth. Let's take them back to town and get them checked out.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#768 Post by sulldawga »

Two doors in Room 10, one goes NE and one goes SE. We just checked the NE door, let's go check the SE door.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#769 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Brooku

I will put the jar in my backpack for carrying not my mouth....

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#770 Post by shaidar »

Atticus agrees we should try the final unchecked door in the round chamber.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#771 Post by thirdkingdom »

11:30 am
Twenty-one turns elapsed
Hex 13.42

The door is pushed open, revealing a hallway that runs to the southeast. Thirty-feet down the adventurers behold a four-way intersection; the corridor continues straight, out of the range of torch-light, and to the right and left, as well. Coming from the right-hand passage, reflecting against the stone walls of the corridor, the flickering orange light of a campfire is visible, as is the soft murmur of voices. Additionally, the adventurers notice the following:

*The floor of the corridor immediately before them is dusty, but tracks -- human-sized, booted tracks -- are visible in the dust, as if someone(s) approached the door but did not open it.

*The sense of scale in the corridor is smaller, more human-sized, and the manner of construction different. In all of the areas the adventurers have thus explored, save for the natural caves, they have had the sense of being in a space designed for beings larger than they; the corridors are too wide and tall, the doors sized for someone slightly taller than Brooku, with handles placed too high off the ground, the stairs are higher than what is comfortable for a Man to descend. This corridor is the first time in the complex they have not felt small and childlike.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#772 Post by sulldawga »

Themon whispers, Let's kill the torches and get some infravision eyes on whoever is at that campsite... quietly.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#773 Post by shaidar »

Atticus nods and whispers "Good idea!"

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#775 Post by sulldawga »

Themon is staying in the chamber.

My suggestion would be for only one or two people to scout out the situation.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#776 Post by kalstone »

Tiarsus can see in the dark, but he's not stealthy. He can go take a look unless there is someone else with darkvision that is stealthier.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#777 Post by shaidar »

Atticus has sneak, but his darkvision is only 30'

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#778 Post by thirdkingdom »

It's hard to tell, because all you're seeing is reflected light from around a corner, but it's likely it will be bright enough to ruin infravision.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#779 Post by sulldawga »

thirdkingdom wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:19 pm It's hard to tell, because all you're seeing is reflected light from around a corner, but it's likely it will be bright enough to ruin infravision.
If that's the case, we should send our best "sneaker", regardless of infravision capabilities.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#780 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"Very well, but be ready to come to my aid."

He leaves his backpack, spear, bow and arrows behind (he still has his sword) and makes a slow and careful approach to the corner. As he gets closer can he make a guess to how close to the corner he thinks the campfire is?

Return to “The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings (BX/OSE)”