IC I

thirdkingdom
Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

Re: IC I

#681 Post by Dicey »

Dirk looks around as the party proceeds. The dervish scoops up a few fist-sized rocks from among the rubble to use as missile weapons, not having such.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#682 Post by thirdkingdom »

Fourthday, Sixmonth, Forty-thirdyear of the 16th Cycle
9:55 am
Eleven turns elapsed
The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings
Hex 13.42

The adventurers pass through the chamber without incident, taking the tunnel that leads to the southeast. It runs but for ten feet or so, before "opening up" into a chamber that is about 20 feet in diameter. A narrow tunnel, no more thn 5' wide, branches off it to the northeast, while a wider tunnel, this one nearly 15' wide, continues in a southeasterly direction. It's hard to tell, but it looks as though the narrow tunnel dead ends after about 20' feet, while the wider tunnel continues off to the southeast beyond the reach of the adventurers' lantern-light.

Something of interest catches the eyes of the adventurers, glinting in the lantern-light. Set into -- or perhaps more accurately, growing from -- the southwestern wall of this chamber is a large, milky-white crystal. It's about as long as one of the humans' fore-arms, and about as big around. As the lantern light hits it the light is sent scattering, dancing across the wet walls of the cave in a prismatic waltz.
Rolling to see if the goblins know anything of these: : 3#1d20 5 5 16

Yes, Megshag does.
Megshag breathes in deeply. "I have heard of such crystals," they say, as if lost in thought, "my grandsire used to tell us tales of these. They called them inibae, or tears of the earth, and they were much sought after by the Kindly Folk. In fact, grandsire conjectured that was one of the reasons the Kindly Folk brought our people into this place to mine and dig."

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#683 Post by kalstone »

Tiarsus

"Did your grandsire tell you what they were used for?"

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#684 Post by thirdkingdom »

kalstone wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:14 pm Tiarsus

"Did your grandsire tell you what they were used for?"
Megshag

"No, just that the Kindly Ones desired them greatly."

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#685 Post by kalstone »

Tiarsus

"Then it is worth taking for ourselves. Perhaps Hanston can tell us what it is used for. Do you know if you need any special care in removing them from the walls?"

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#686 Post by sulldawga »

kalstone wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:50 pm Tiarsus

"Then it is worth taking for ourselves. Perhaps Hanston can tell us what it is used for. Do you know if you need any special care in removing them from the walls?"
Themon says, I agree

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#687 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"It's worth trying to remove it, if we think we can do that without damaging it too much."

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#689 Post by VonAlric »

Beykoyun has the small hammer and spikes.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#690 Post by Dicey »

That inibae is a puissant crystal,” declared Dirk, daring to use the fancy word he heard at the alchemist.

Tap that beauty carefully.”

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#691 Post by thirdkingdom »

The hammer taps the crystal with but the softest touch, and it emits a clear, ringing sound. The clear sound lasts for but an instant, before it shifts to an atonal, dissonant peal. Seconds later, the crystal shatters and splinters, falling into the half dozen smaller pieces.
: 1d20 3

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#692 Post by sulldawga »

Themon says, I guess next time we chip away at the stone around the crystal instead of the crystal itself.

Do the smaller pieces look the same as the original whole?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#693 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:00 pm Themon says, I guess next time we chip away at the stone around the crystal instead of the crystal itself.

Do the smaller pieces look the same as the original whole?
Looking closely at the smaller shards, Themon notes that there are small, hairline cracks running throughout, that gives each larger whole the impression of fragility. Whether these hairline fractures are the result of the attempt to remove it, or an inherent flaw within the crystal is difficult to say.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#694 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Brooku

Eyes the rock from where the crystal emerged to see if there is anything that would indicate how it could have been harvested without a hammer.

When Mutton broke the pretty rock, that noise hurt my ears.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#695 Post by thirdkingdom »

BaltoBruiser wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:11 am Brooku

Eyes the rock from where the crystal emerged to see if there is anything that would indicate how it could have been harvested without a hammer.

When Mutton broke the pretty rock, that noise hurt my ears.
It's hard to tell. It almost looks like it is growing from the rock. Maybe this one crystal was flawed, or perhaps there is a means of extraction that does not rely on brute force; it might even require magical harvesting.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#696 Post by sulldawga »

thirdkingdom wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:46 pm It's hard to tell. It almost looks like it is growing from the rock. Maybe this one crystal was flawed, or perhaps there is a means of extraction that does not rely on brute force; it might even require magical harvesting.
Is Magical Engineering the right skill to use to determine how to deal with the crystal?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#697 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:56 am
thirdkingdom wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:46 pm It's hard to tell. It almost looks like it is growing from the rock. Maybe this one crystal was flawed, or perhaps there is a means of extraction that does not rely on brute force; it might even require magical harvesting.
Is Magical Engineering the right skill to use to determine how to deal with the crystal?
Hmmm. I'm not sure how I should answer this without giving away some stuff, tbh. It wouldn't hurt, let's just say.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#698 Post by sulldawga »

Themon thinks back to his training in the ways of magic to see if it provokes any thoughts of what these crystals are and how they should be harvested in the future.

Going to retroactively take Magical Engineering as a skill.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#699 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:17 pm Themon thinks back to his training in the ways of magic to see if it provokes any thoughts of what these crystals are and how they should be harvested in the future.

Going to retroactively take Magical Engineering as a skill.
Themon ponders this briefly, realizing that he may know something. Not about how to properly collect the mineral, but about it's practical applications. He realizes the what the goblin referred to as inibae is likely what he knows as takiqrumi, the singing stones. The initial crystal clear note that was heard convinces that is what these growths are. He's not sure exactly what they are used for, but knows they are especially valued by arcane spellcasters.

: 1d20 15

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#700 Post by sulldawga »

Themon says, Let's collect the pieces. I will take them back to town the next time we decamp from the dungeon. I know these have some value; I don't know if we messed up by breaking it but I can do some research into how to extract them next time.

Themon instructs Megshag to gather the shards.

Return to “The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings (BX/OSE)”