Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings (BX/OSE Procedural Dungeon Crawl)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings (BX/OSE Procedural Dungeon Crawl)

#1 Post by thirdkingdom »

I'm looking to run a game of BX/OSE here in the near future. It will be different from my normal hexcrawl games, in that PCs will be starting at 1st level and it will be a procedural dungeon crawl (I'm testing out stuff for a book I'm writing). Because of this, I've pregenerated a bunch of characters to choose from to make it easy to jump in/replace characters. These are all non-standard classes (ie no fighters, clerics, etc.) just because I wanted to mix things up a bit.

The forum for the game is here: viewforum.php?f=1481, and you can find the actual characters here: viewtopic.php?t=13026 Note that all of the classes were randomly generated: stats, hp, equipment, spells, etc.

I'd like to begin play in one week's time, on the 14th of November.

A list of available class is there, but I've also included it in spoilers, below.
*Assassin still adventuring
*Bard
*Berserker (barbarian-esque)
*Binder (adapted from 3.x Tome of Magic, makes pacts with spirits and entities to gain a portion of their powers)
*Dervish (holy warriors and bodyguards)
*Elf (modified base class)
*Elven Spellsinger (modified base class)
*Frogling warrior (bullywug/gullygug class)
*Frogling shaman (as above)
*Gnoll Warrior
*Gnoll Sorcerer
*Goblin
*Goblin Mage
*Goblin Shaman
Retainers
*Godborn: Aasimar
*Godborn: Eladrin
*Godborn: Tiefling (out of order alphabetically, at end of list) shaidar
*Godborn: Genasi, Air
*Godborn: Genasi, Earth
*Godborn: Genasi, Fire
*Godborn: Genasi, Water
*Half-elf
*Awakened Cave Locust
*Changeling
*Cyclopskin BaltoBruiser
*Dragonborn
*Hexblade
*Grippli (frog-folk)
*Grippli Treespeaker
*Grove Guardian (half-dryad)
*Ironskin
*Ironskin craftpriest
*Knight
*Kobold
*Kobold Beguiler
*Kobold Warrenguard (out of order alphabetically, at end of list)
*Mochyn (boar-folk)
*Monk
*Necromancer (Garth Nix inspired class)
*Orc Reaver
*Orc Shaman
*Orc Warlock
*Psittacan (parrot-folk, think Airbender)
*Psittacan susurrant (as above)
*Scout
*Sorcerer (spontaneous arcane caster)
*Warlock sulldawga
*Witch
*Dwarf (fey-themed)
*Caprini (psychic sheep-folk) VonAlric
*Caprini contemplative (really psychic sheep folk)
*Strigi (owl-folk)
*Strigi seer (owl-folk diviner) kalstone
Loxon (elephant-folk)

At least one person has already reached out to me to reserve a class. Some classes have additional rules for their use; where possible, I have included those rules, but can provide more context as needed.

The goal is for a posting rate of every other day, every day while in combat. I prefer posts that move the game forward and give the other players something to engage with.
Last edited by thirdkingdom on Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:57 am, edited 6 times in total.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings (BX/OSE Procedural Dungeon Crawl)

#2 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Sign me up for the Cyclopskin please. I like the idea of not being a thinker and just carrying a bunch of stuff for the party.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

I'm interested too.

I'm up for playing the tiefling.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by thirdkingdom »

Done and done. IC thread is up, so folks can get an idea of the premise:

Firstday, Sixmonth, Forty-thirdyear of the 16th Cycle
8:00 am

The domain of Deepwater was founded four decades ago by adventurers seeking their fame and fortune. Located on the banks of the River Sarn, at the site of an ancient watchtower, the town has the distinct advantage of being located where the water deepens enough to allow ocean-going vessels to dock, providing easy access to the markets of the Silver Sea.

It is not sea-bound adventures that have drawn the party here, however, as the adventure they seek is more terrestrial in nature. Two weeks ago, a shephard returned to Deepwater, claiming to have discovered ancient ruins carved into the side of a mountain while searching for a lost lamb, some eighteen miles south of the community. Scouts have confirmed that it is indeed an entrance into a larger complex, likely revealed by a minor earthquake that shook the region several months prior. Those who have viewed the entrance claim that is no complex built by the hands of Man, but bears the tell-tale signs of being constructed by the mecistop, the foul Crocodile Kings that ruled this part of the world for centuries before the dawn of time, holding humanity and other races under the yoke as slaves. The Crocodile Kings were known to be magically puissant beyond anything humanity is capable of today; who knows what dangers and treasures await!

The party stands at the base of the mountain, looking up the slope to the columns carved into the face, shading an entrance three times the height of a person, with massive doors that have been damaged and wrenched assunder, creating a passage wide enough to be entered single file. As of today, there are no other adventuring parties in Deepwater brave -- or foolish -- enough to venture within, but that will no doubt change as news of the discovery spreads.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by kalstone »

I'm interested. I'll look over the characters and pick one. I'm leaning towards a caster, maybe the Elvish Spellsinger.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by thirdkingdom »

kalstone wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:32 pm I'm interested. I'll look over the characters and pick one. I'm leaning towards a caster, maybe the Elvish Spellsinger.
Awesome!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#7 Post by Scott308 »

Hmm. I am intrigued, especially by the Awakened Cave Locust, although there are others I want to give a closer look.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by thirdkingdom »

Scott308 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:39 am Hmm. I am intrigued, especially by the Awakened Cave Locust, although there are others I want to give a closer look.
Here are the remaining abilities for the Awakened Cave Locust:
The base awakened cave locust, though tough and durable, is a weak combatant. They rely on stealth and, when needed, their ability to flee quickly or disable opponents. They gain the following abilities as they progress in level:
► At 3rd level they can hear noise, move silently, and pick pockets as a 1st-level thief. These abilities increase in level as the character advances.

Upon reaching 4th level an awakened cave locust can attempt to found one of the following:
► Those living underground or in deserted areas may found a plague, a community of their fellows. Over a period of three months they attract 3d6–4 normal cave locusts and 1d8 awakened cave locusts. The swarm leader’s responsibility is to keep the plague safe.
► Those residing in urban settings often find themselves inhabiting the seedy underbelly of the city. They may, therefore, found a thieves’ guild at 75% efficiency (see A Guide to Thieves’ Guilds for details on founding and running a guild).

► At 6th level the character gains the ability to grant one wish. It must be granted to another, and the awakened cave locust cannot be the beneficiary of the wish in any way. Once the wish is granted the awakened cave locust will die in 1d8–1 days (dying instantly on a result of “0”). Nothing can prevent this death, not even another wish.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by sulldawga »

I'm interested in playing the Warlock.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by kalstone »

I think I'm going to play the Strigi Seer if no one has claimed it.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#15 Post by Scott308 »

As interesting as this is, I think I'm going to have to pass. I just can't devote the time that it deserves.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by thirdkingdom »

Scott308 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:36 am As interesting as this is, I think I'm going to have to pass. I just can't devote the time that it deserves.
No worries! Feel free to join in if anything changes!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by shaidar »

I can vouch that thirdkingdom runs a great game and there are some very interesting characters available, and a bunch of them to choose from, so don't the pre-gen idea put you off.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by thirdkingdom »

Looks like there are a bunch of new members. We can fit one or two more players, so if you're interested let me know. I run very player-facing games, so there's little need for rules knowledge, and you'll be picking from a pool of pregenerated characters to make jumping in easy.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#20 Post by Dicey »

If there is room I’d like to give it a try!

Return to “Looking for players or games”