tibbius
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Numenera (Fail States RPG) Discussion

#21 Post by shaidar »

Nice.

Do I need to choose my extras now?

I was wondering about special training: thief type skills (sneak, steal, locks)?

The second one I'm not so sure, some kind of psychic power such as danger sense, ac protection, or even some kind of 'ignore me' type of 'invisibility?

I've also thought of a name: Hopkirk.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Numenera (Fail States RPG)

#22 Post by tibbius »

cybersavant wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:02 am Randar
cybersavant, I edited the sheet to make Randar a Glaive. If you would prefer Nano, please change the HD to 1 and change the Extras to d6.

Nanos in these rules have a kind of different feel than in usual Numenera.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by tibbius »

shaidar wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:44 am Do I need to choose my extras now?

I was wondering about special training: thief type skills (sneak, steal, locks)?

The second one I'm not so sure, some kind of psychic power such as danger sense, ac protection, or even some kind of 'ignore me' type of 'invisibility?

I've also thought of a name: Hopkirk.
Nice name.

You can choose Extras now or in play. They should be fairly specific - 'sneaking' or 'trickery' or 'lockpicking' and can be skills or tools or a combination thereof. Once you choose an Extra it's locked in.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by shaidar »

:)

We have Randar and Hopkirk, this might be an slightly obscure reference.

So, if I chose 'trickery' that would cover the diversion and prestidigitation required for pickpocketing and sleight of hand?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by tibbius »

shaidar wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:37 pm :)

We have Randar and Hopkirk, this might be an slightly obscure reference.

So, if I chose 'trickery' that would cover the diversion and prestidigitation required for pickpocketing and sleight of hand?
Yes.

Also, anyone can attempt pickpocketing or sleight of hand or any other action, but the Extra makes it more likely that you'll get a result "as expected" or "better" rather than "worse" or "much worse"

Edit to add: Wow. I wonder if that show's on Youtube ...
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by shaidar »

:)

So I'll got for trickery then. It feels right for his background.

For the second one I can't decide between sneak and having some kind of lockpick. I shall have to ponder as either would be useful to have a boost to.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by shaidar »

After thinking about it I'll take 'sneaking' for my second extra. Updated character sheet in next post.
Last edited by shaidar on Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Numenera (Fail States RPG)

#28 Post by shaidar »

Hopkirk (Jack)
HD AC shins STR WIT CHA Extras
d6 melee
d8 missile
3 1 2
d6+d6
d8+d10
d8+d8
d4: Trickery
d4: Sneaking
Weapon d6 melee (light, a wicked looking dirk) , d8 missile (medium, a bow) / Armor light (3), soft leather armour with a cuir bouilli shoulder plates and bracers.
Other gear: clothes, boots, backpack, bedroll
Affect:
Apparel: A hotchpotch mix of clothes in different styles (and sizes), in blues, greens and browns.
Quirk: Vehemently avoids the colour red, it's unlucky.
Belief: There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Background. Growing up on the streets of a large town he soon learned to fend for himself. He found his charm and wits were often more effective than his fists. Having upset one of the local crime gangs he decided it was time to move on, so he left for Auspar.

Picture:
jack_small.jpg
jack_small.jpg (390.8 KiB) Viewed 540 times

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by tibbius »

With 5 WIT and those two Extras, Hopkirk is well-tuned for intrigue and espionage.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by shaidar »

With smaller groups I always feel you have to be more careful and play things out intelligently rather than being too gung-ho.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by shaidar »

Will there be a third NPC to make up the group to three?

I'm just thinking two travelling the wilds is extra dangerous and difficult to set up watches for at night.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by tibbius »

shaidar wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:12 am Will there be a third NPC to make up the group to three?

I'm just thinking two travelling the wilds is extra dangerous and difficult to set up watches for at night.
There is an opportunity for an NPC to join you ... watch the Game thread closely, you might miss it.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by tibbius »

Sample_combat wrote: Between Mark and the town a group of 3d4 -> [1, 3, 1] -> **5** nomads (2d3 -> [3, 3] -> **6** all women) are fighting off a small flock of 2d4 -> [2, 4] -> **6** ithsyn (snake-birds).

`Ithsyn: HD 1d6, AC 3` `nomads: HD 1d6, AC 2`

Mark joins the fray! `Mark: HD 2d8, AC 4`
Mark 2d8 -> [5, 2] -> **7** Nomads 5d6 -> [5, 4, 2, 2, 3] -> **16** Ithsyn 6d6 -> [3, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6] -> **20**
Mark slays an ithsyn. The nomads kill two ithsyn. The ithsyn kill 4 of the nomads.
Mark 2d8 -> [1, 1] -> **2** Nomads 1d6 -> [4] -> **4** Ithsyn 3d6 -> [3, 6, 5] -> **16**
The last nomad kills an ithsyn. The remaining ithsyn kill Mark and the nomad.

The ithsyn feast on the corpses in sight of the tranquil town called White Lake.
As a "P"C, I might let Mark make a STR roll to see whether he survived and escaped.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by tibbius »

Janks (nano)
HD AC shins STR 2 WIT 5 CHA 3 Extras
d8 missile
d4 melee
3 12 d6+d6 d10+d8 d8+d6 d6: auto-bolter
d6: passwall key
Weapon d8 medium missile (autobolter); armor light (3), organic glass fiber padded vest and leggings under clothing
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by tibbius »

Rules update: Extras get set aside when you roll a "1" with them.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by tibbius »

Clarifications:
- lost HD are regained after combat ends.
- reduced to zHD, PCs get to make a STR roll to find out what happens; "better" is step back and regain 1 HD, "expected" is knocked down / out of action, "worse" is wounded in need of medical attention, "much worse" is dead.
- shooting into a melee, odd numbers target a friend, even numbers target a foe.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by shaidar »

How does firing into melee work? Is there a chance of hitting another if you miss?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by tibbius »

shaidar wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:46 am How does firing into melee work? Is there a chance of hitting another if you miss?
Please see preceding post
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by shaidar »

Oops, sorry!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan