OGRE MAGE
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

The Cave Of The Unknown

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Looking For The One Cave
Partly Sunny, Mid Morning

After seeing their new friends off, the party heading into the area where they hope to find the single cave veers off-road, entering the rocky grasslands. Following the obvious cart tracks through the grass towards the distant forest is easy enough, but what you find when you get there gives some in the party pause.

Hiking ever upwards in elevation, the outdoorsy types spot something obvious in the tree line ahead. There is a path cut through the trees that has been poorly covered over with branches and other vegetation, as if trying to hide it from the road.
IMG_1921.jpeg
IMG_1921.jpeg (137.58 KiB) Viewed 37406 times
Creeping in closer, you see the path is nearly as wide as a full wagon. It cuts into the trees at a bit of a diagonal direction, but you can’t see anything else through the lush green vegetation.

As the group huddles together behind some rocks looking at this badly hidden path, Sylla thinks she hears the feint sound of a donkey braying.

Actions?

Magdal Haldeene AC7 16/16
Crobeus AC3 10/10
Pimlan Greenstride AC6 9/9
Renna Kellamin AC4 9
Sylla Lontharra AC5 6/6/9
Stobart Galt AC5 10/10
Dredd AC3 16/16

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Cave Of The Unknown

#2 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

At the back of the line, Dredd has "an uneasy feeling about all this," he whispers to Stobart. "Perfect place for an ambush, wouldn't you say?"
He keeps his spear ready and peers into the woods, crouching with his back to his companions so as to see as much of the area behind them as possible.
Winter is coming...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan looks at Dredd surprised briefly "Where isn't a good place for such a thing. I've been ambushed on a bridge before. Granted that was just my friends back home messing with me on a bridge trying to make me think they were trolls. But none the less your point is made. Though why would the road be wide enough for a wagon? Bandits use wagons these days?" he wonders aloud though not too loudly. Ultimately the halfling decides it is a good time to find a place to climb up to and be a look out he looks around finds the closest tree and starts to try and climb up it.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by gurusql »

Renna

"Great idea Pim. Magdal are there any tracks that will give us a clue of what is ahead? Without any other information, I would vote to take see what is causing that donkey sound and not let them come up behind of later."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#5 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

The paladin quietly tosses in his two coppers: "I'm for seeing what's down this hidden trail. If it's someone friendly, great. If not, I'd rather not have them between us and the way back out. Leaving a threat to our rear is a dangerous game to play "
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Magdal examines the area as thoroughly as her inexperience will allow her. She studies the ground before her.

Looking for tracks: [1d100]=91

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by shaidar »

Stobart nods at Dredd's concern

"Indeed, I'm certainly glad I'm not travelling alone. Careful investigation does seem the wise choice."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by sastaz »

Sylla listens to the reasoning of the others.

"I concur with Crobeus. We left the bandits and we were lucky they took off - for now at least. Let's not leave another potential threat blocking our way home."

She takes a few strides forward and says in a loud and clear voice.

"Hello, we come in peace! Anyone there?"

If there's no response and nothing is gained from the searching and climbing activities going on she suggest the group starts heading down the 'hidden trail'.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Looking For The One Cave
Partly Sunny, Mid Morning

Wary of the possibilities of danger, most in the group remain cautious. Magdal can see the clear hoof prints and wagon tracks in the grass that lead into the forest ahead. The people who tried to hide the trail obviously weren't concerned about the tracks they left behind.

When a couple of members decide to sneak ahead cautiously, Pim starts climbing a tree, and Sylla starts calling out to whoever it might be.

At first, there is no reply from the woods. Then Pim falls out of the tree he was trying to climb, causing a bit of ruckus through the branches and an extremely sore tailbone from the fall. 1 dam

After a moment, you hear a stern male voice calling back loudly from the trees. "This aint no place fer sight seein folks! Nothin fer you to get involved with around here! Turn yerselves around and nobody gets killed. This here's yer only warnin!"

The sound of 2 crossbows being cocked can be easily heard over the chirping birds and the waves of tension flowing through the air.

Actions?

Magdal Haldeene AC7 16/16
Crobeus AC3 10/10
Pimlan Greenstride AC6 8/9
Renna Kellamin AC4 9
Sylla Lontharra AC5 6/6/9
Stobart Galt AC5 10/10
Dredd AC3 16/16

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

"The hell..." Dredd grunts and moves to the tree from where Pim fell.
"Stay behind me, Pim, else you become a target for them crossbows."
Dredd grips his spear and peers around one side of the tree and then the other, trying to get a bead on the crossbowmen.
Winter is coming...

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by sastaz »

Sylla calmly turns to Crobeus

"What do you want to do? I suggest we leave them be and live to fight another day."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by shaidar »

Stobart looks on incredulous as Sylla calls out to whoever it is just as Magdal and Pim are trying to sneak forward for a closer look. He shakes his head.

He looks at Sylla and Crobeus

"We may not have a choice now." he looks over to Renna "Do we need to go past them to get to the cave, or is our route different? Obviously we can't just go back like they are asking."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by sastaz »

Scott308 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:35 pm Crobeus - Human Paladin

The paladin quietly tosses in his two coppers: "I'm for seeing what's down this hidden trail. If it's someone friendly, great. If not, I'd rather not have them between us and the way back out. Leaving a threat to our rear is a dangerous game to play "
This was a side trail and not our main route to the Cave of Unknown? Or did I get that wrong? In that case they're not blocking our path.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

There are NO trails!

You followed cart tracks from the road that lead up to the forest.

There is a swath cut into the forest where the tracks enter, but it is not a straight path into the tree line.

Therefore, you can’t determine what’s on the path simply by looking into the opening, as it veers out of sight.

The voices you hear are not far away, but far enough into the trees that you can’t see who’s talking.

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan gets up and scrambles rubbing his hurt tailbone getting behind the more heavily armored folk like Dredd. "Don't have to tell me twice." he says in a whisper.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by hedgeknight »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:49 pm Pimlan gets up and scrambles rubbing his hurt tailbone getting behind the more heavily armored folk like Dredd. "Don't have to tell me twice." he says in a whisper.
Dredd

Did ya see anything before you fell on your ass?
Winter is coming...

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pim shakes his head "Not really. Climbing Isn't my strong suit today, but I heard the crossbows really well."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Speaking loud to the crossbow friends, "We will leave your trail alone." and will make hand motion pointing the original direction and then showing the intention is to loop back

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#19 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

Shaking his head after any chance of sneaking is thrown away, he gives Renna a thumbs up before starting back on their original way, making sure that he can be heard walking away from the voice.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will give Magdal a bit more time before updating here.

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”