UE Issue #5: The Melting DAGGER

gurusql
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

UE Issue #5: The Melting DAGGER

#1 Post by gurusql »

It is about 3:00 local time on Wednesday, October 28, 1987 and it is an cold and overcast day in New Chicago. The high today was 47 degrees it is likely that it will start to cool as the afternoon progresses.

The team is scattered throughout the city.
  • Knight Light (or rather Thin) is just leaving school and walking and talking with Perry and one of her girl friends, Julia.
  • Eclipse (or rather John) is in the office helping a user on the phone with an IT problem. The user is obviously overwhelmed and having trouble communicating the issue to John.
  • Umbra is sitting in a local cafe, buying lunch for a local immigrant, Mehmet that has recently moved to New Chicago and is trying to get help from Umbra on finding a job.
  • Azir (or rather Rhib) is delivering a package on a bicycle as her job as a courier. It is a sealed envelope for a private residence.
  • Grimm (or rather I have no idea of the secret id name) is working in his job as a police officer. "Grimm" and his partner are on patrol in a squad car. Grimm is NOT driving.
  • Wind Dragon (no I mean Wind Dragon) is in the base working in his Physics lab at the base.
Everyone's GOSH two-way pager goes off with the message of 1011. This is the October code for "Responding to any crises and other emergencies to which they are called when it's logistically feasible to do so."
Last edited by gurusql on Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: UE Issue #5: The Melting DAGGER

#2 Post by gurusql »

Wind Dragon

Wind Dragon stops his experiment and says "CHiP please get me a call into Agent McGinley and monitor the comms for calls."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

Eclipse grimaces, he hates IT support and this call was going nowhere:

"Sir, have your tried rebooting it?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by shaidar »

Umbra glances at the pager, and looks over to Mehmet

"My friend, I'm afraid I am being called away. You have my notes on how they like their employment history recorded here in america, the resume, and you have told me of your skills and experience and I will ask around my contacts to see if anyone knows of anything. Give it a try, we will talk to tomorrow to see how you are doing." he stands "Please, finish your lunch, more if you wish, and I once again apologise for my departure."

He makes sure the bill is covered, with extra in case Mehmet is still hungry, before finding a public phone box and calling in to GoSH (I assume there is a cover phone number for this kind of thing).

I'm not sure what the protocol is now, to call Gosh or report to Chip via comms, so whichever is appropriate.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Grimm

"Something is up at home, I need to check in quick. Can you pull over at that payphone? Thanks."

Me either, I will think about it. Not sure what happened but I missed this thread until just now.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Azir

Azir will stop and call in on the com.

"Azir here, whats up?"

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Leitz »

Knight Light

Thin felt the vibration in his front pants pocket, and grinned. It wasn't always fun to be on-call, but it beat sitting at home without a wife. With great bills comes great need to pay them. Or something like that. Perry was almost as frugal as he was, but they were going to need a home of their own once they were out of school.

"Let me go get the van running. Sweetheart, I'll meet you there." Thin kissed Perry, yet again happy that she was his wife, and when Julia wasn't looking he tapped his right first onto his left wrist for a moment. It was their signal, the ASL sign for work. Perry knew to protect his time, and that they needed to move quickly.

Once the van was started and the doors were closed, Thin responded on the pager. "What's up? I can be available in a few minutes, if needed."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by gurusql »

Various places around New Chicago
3:00 PM Local Time – Wednesday, October 28th, 1987

Grimm: DEX 20, DEF 22, END 46/46, STUN 38/38
Knight Light: DEX 20/18, DEF 18, END 36/36, STUN 27/27
Umbra: DEX 20, DEF 22, END 48/48, STUN 37/37
Eclipse: DEX 20, DEF 21/25, END 46/46, STUN 29/29
Azir: DEX 18, DEF 27, END 56/56, STUN 56/56

The team is scattered throughout the city.
  • Thin (Knight Light) gives his secret symbol to Perry and heads for the Van. Perry slows down her girlfriend allowing Thin to get his message off. The reply is "Best possible speed to Willoughby Tower. Let CHiP know when you can hear a recording of the threat."
  • John (Eclipse) short-cuts to the answer that works 80% of the time. The confused person on the other end of the line says "You want me to call a cobbler?". He uses the hold button to have a second call on the comms and get in touch with CHiP.
  • Mikail (Umbra) excuses himself making sure to leave enough money to cover for the bill and calls into CHiP.
  • Rhib (Azir) just pulls over and calls in on the comms to CHiP.
  • Grimm gets his partner to pull over to a payphone but is really on the comms to CHiP.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by gurusql »

CHiP

This was broadcast 5 min ago and the recording played for you by CHiP.

"This is your eyewitness correspondent, Julia McAvoy, on the scene of one of the most dramatic blackmail attempt ever to hit New Chicago. About twenty minutes ago, ten armored men led by a super villain who calls himself DOCTOR DEATH attacked and took over the Bank of America branch in the Willoughby Tower here in the financial district. Within seconds of the attack, the security guards were over-powered and everyone in the bank was taken hostage. "Five minutes ago, all but ten of the hostages were released and the evil band's terms were made known. DOCTOR DEATH and his cronies are demanding half a billion dollars and safe conduct out of the country or they say that they will explode a nuclear device that they have assembled in the bank. The released hostages have confirmed that some sort of glowing device has indeed been constructed. The authorities are attempting to negotiate now. This is Julia McAvoy reporting the news as it happens."

Actions from the heroes?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by shaidar »

Umbra will find a private spot to change and fly to Willoughby Tower.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

Azir

On the Comms, "Suit up and head for the bank. We will meet up just out of sight of the bank."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by shaidar »

Eclipse

"No sir, please turn the unit off and then back on again. If you continue to have problems then please call back."

He hangs up and then tries to get out of his shift early due to 'family issues'.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Leitz »

Knight Light

"CHiP, please play the message," Thin said. The van windows were still rolled up, and he watched Perry and Julia stop. Perry pulled out her notepad and wrote something for Julia, then the girls laughed.

The message scared Thin, his mom might be at the bank right now. How many times had he watched Ris in the park, while Mom or Dad went into the bank? He took a deep breath and activated his comm. "Guys, there's a large park complex due east of the bank, and a parking area near the intersection of Monroe and Columbus. Suggest we meet there, there are plenty of places to change. I'm enroute."

Perry had her license, and he would suggest she drive herself home. He wasn't planning on arguing when she would shake her head, and then tell him she was staying right there. He grinned, he enjoyed watching her hair bounce around when she was being adamant.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Azir

"Sounds like a good location, meet there."

She will drop the package off, ditch her bike in some bushes or an alley, change shape and leap her way to the meet up.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Grimm

"Sounds like an emergency at Bank of America, we should head that way."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by gurusql »

Old Trainyard across from Willoughby Tower
3:10 PM Local Time – Wednesday, October 28th, 1987

Grimm: DEX 20, DEF 22, END 46/46, STUN 38/38
Knight Light: DEX 20/18, DEF 18, END 36/36, STUN 27/27
Umbra: DEX 20, DEF 22, END 48/48, STUN 37/37
Eclipse: DEX 20, DEF 21/25, END 46/46, STUN 29/29
Wind Dragon: DEX 20, DEF 20, END 46/46, STUN 38/38
Azir: DEX 18, DEF 27, END 56/56, STUN 56/56

Please note that in current times (and real life) across the street from the building is Millennium Park which opened in 2004 after being land owned by the railroad that they used in a very limited fashion during the 20th century. But taking a little liberty it is still the railroad owned land in 1987 and game time.

The heroes gather in the same general area that is the police command center for this operation in the old trainyard. Everyone arrives in the same general time frame. The police have taken over two passenger cars that happened to be there along the North/South street (Michigan Ave). They somehow have a mobile phone bank and you can see several officers in train car on the phone. There is are two men in suits that appear to be having a heated discussion with the officer in charge in the train car. Outside the train car in the immediate area there are another 20 officers watching building including a SWAT team that just arrived with another 20 motorcycle officers that blocked off the surrounding streets.

Actions Heroes!

Road View
MeltingDagger.png
MeltingDagger.png (234.69 KiB) Viewed 50818 times
Image of Building (Please note that there is no construction and then entire lower floor is the Bank of America branch)
WilloughbyTower.png
WilloughbyTower.png (1.77 MiB) Viewed 50818 times

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by shaidar »

Eclipse heads over to the train car, to the officer in charge and the two men in suits

"Good afternoon, gentlemen. Would it be possible for myself and my associates to be briefed on the situation."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Leitz »

gurusql wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:19 am Please note that in current times (and real life) across the street from the building is Millennium Park which opened in 2004 after being land owned by the railroad that they used in a very limited fashion during the 20th century. But taking a little liberty it is still the railroad owned land in 1987 and game time.
Yeah, but this is the '80's; kids sitll played in the old trainyard. :)

Thin crawled into an old storage shed. Knight Light walked out the other side and then made his way to Azir and the rest of the team. Perry was on the far side of the old trainyard, and hopefully out of harm's way.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Azir

Azir arrives at the train yard. "Officers, how can we be of assistance?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Grimm

Once to the police gathering area Grimm ditches his partner, changes and goes to meet the others.

Return to “United Earth (Champions 5th Edition (HERO))”