Kaida and Minoru

jemmus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Kaida and Minoru

#1 Post by jemmus »

For a moment, the servant at a loss for what to do. He's got one hand holding an umbrella over himself and the visitor (who was already unexpected and inconvenient, especially in the middle of a downpour to drip to downpour again night), the other hand under the umbrella trying to keep a lit candle lit, the smelly dog (always worse when wet) barking uncontrollably at the sound of the sound back and too the right, and the two armed and unbarbered ruffians coming out of eastern outbuilding post with a yari spear and a han-kyu short bow. They hold their hands over their heads, as if in a primitive attempt to block the rain. They look at each other, nod, and to cautiously move forward from towards the position of the hysterically barking and swirling dog.

The dog barks, shifts and and barks again. The young servant briefly sighs. Then, to Kaida, with pointed over-politeness I'm sorry, o-guest-san! I can hardly hear anything over the rain and that beast of the fields! Oh yes, let's get o-guest-sama indoors, dry, and warm as quickly as possible! After that, I can proceed with lighting the lanterns, as is my duty. In the rain, he says. Now, o-guest-sama, run! The young servant run under the umbrella and the raindrops, one in his straw sandals and the other in her slow wooden geta clogs.

Kaida of the nakama and the ninja clan is in the main villa. Minoru, atop the wall across the street, heard and saw it. Fuma and Jinsei are dropping onto the outside street at the same time, about a hundred yards away, in the rain.
Last edited by jemmus on Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Kaida and Minoru

#2 Post by Marullus »

Kaida obediently starts off running, likely outpacing the servant and heading straight north to the center building (where we expected reception and fancy items). Getting under the roof, she tells the servant (if he followed), ”This is dry enough, I do not wish to run through this downpour further!” and encourages him to see to lighting the lanterns as he said was his duty.

If she has only garnered attention of, and distracted, one single servant then it is easy enough to give them permission to leave her here until the rain stops. She doesn’t know the status of her companions, but will look south to where she expects Minoru to be in case he flashes a visual cue. If she successfully bluffs herself into the center building, she will look around in case she can scout the teacup.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by ffilz »

I doubt Kaida can see Minoru. If Minoru does expect he could be seen by Kaida who knows where he's supposed to be, then he will flash a hand sign to indicate the others have aborted (Minoru can see them right?).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by jemmus »

No, Minoru and Kaida can't see Fuma and Jinsei. They don't know that they aborted the mission.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:09 pm No, Minoru and Kaida can't see Fuma and Jinsei. They don't know that they aborted the mission.
Oh, OK. I thought Minoru was going to watch from a position he could be spotting for them. But fine if that didn't turn out that way.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

I assumed Minaru was in an overwatch position to see Kaida, thst Kaida could not see him (as that would be bad ninja), but he might signal with a blink of light or something.

Standingby to hear about her gambit at the center building.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by jemmus »

I guess I assumed that Minoru stayed with Kaida. I had him climb the wall near the last place the group was all together. That was outside of the main gate at the center of the south wall. Minoru climbed the wall south of that across the street. He saw Kaida run into the house.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by jemmus »

Kaida climbs wooden steps onto the mansion's front veranda and out of the rain. Hurried steps crossing tatami mats inside are heard. A rather plain peasant servant girl in her twenties slides shoji door panels open, revealing quite a sumptuous interior indeed.
Here the electric lights are replaced by stands with paper lanterns with candles inside.
Close behind her a peasant woman in her late fifties or early sixties, coming from the slightly back and right hand diagonal side. The two look at the wet visitor for just a second and nod, then look out into the courtyard. The older woman steps before the younger one and onto the veranda. Mata-Ichi! What's going on? Why is Kuro* barking? Do you see brigands?

And then, coming directly from the back of the interior, woman hurries up from inside the mansion. She's a woman in her forties, and wears a fine silk kimono. But her strides in it are too long and forceful, and the pinched, hard face of a merchant's daughter and a merchant's wife. And the mother of future merchants. To Kaida, she gives the impression of a shrewd and wily fox. She steps three paces from the shoji to the veranda and looks wet buke's daughter Kaida over up and down. Who are you? Why does a guard dog bark at something in the dark and brigands appear when you suddenly show up in the night?

Crouching atop the outer wall of the mansion across the street, Minoru sees or hears everything. The young man servant opening the gate, letting Kaida in, holding the umbrella for her, and saying he noted so sound. The dog swiftly running down the columned gallery, reaching the ground, turning and running north, and barking furiously toward the northeast. Where Jinsei had said he and Fuma would observe the compound. And then, Kaida quickly asking about guards and brigands, and guards with yari and dai-kyu emerging from a nearby outbuilding within the grounds. And then, Kaida on the veranda... and the following rapidly opening events.

The woman made her Wit ST to suspect Kaida. Need a hensu-jutsu BCS roll from Kaida to maintain her guise. I recommend that Minoru check the map in his private forum for what's visible, and the scale of distances.

*"Black"
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ffilz »

I'm not sure there's much I can do. It looks and sounds like Kaida is aware of everything Minoru is, so no need to try and give her alarm (by a whistle or animal call should I need to do something like that?).

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by jemmus »

As Kaida is considering her reply, a boy and a girl quickly enter the room from the back left. The girl appears to be around 16 and the boy around 14. They both wear fine clothing. The boy has placed dai-sho with showy hilts and scabbards through his belt. He looks Kaida over haughtily, arrogantly. The girl looks at Kaida with curiosity. Perhaps the curiosity of a younger girl for an older, more mature girl.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

OOC:
Our team's abilities.

Being clear: We've now identified 8 people and a dog.

Inside center building
  • Peasant girl in her 20s (servant)
  • Peasant woman in her 60s (servant)
  • Merchant woman in her 40s (merchant's wife)
  • Merchant girl of 16 (merchant's daughter)
  • Boy with dai-sho age 14 (merchant's son)

outside center building
  • Servant who is lighting candles, in early 30s (servant)
  • Kuro (Black) the Dog (guard)
  • Ronin with a spear (guard)
  • Ronin with a bow (guard)

Clarifying: Where does Kaida see that would be a suitable place for showy collectables like the tea cup? Having cast Shadow Eyes, she can see into the dim recesses as if lit. I need to know what I discovered so I can gauge how hard I'm pushing to discover more.

Kaida Perception (if cup is a "hidden thing") (BCS 9) [1d20]=5
"Dozo, yoroshiku onegai shimasu," demures the upper class girl, bowing in proper form to recognize both the merchant wife and her son, who is presenting himself as the presiding Bushi, claiming upper class status with his dai sho. Tucking her hair behind her ear with one hand. She straightens her neat travel kimono, soaked to the bone and shivering in the pouring rain. "Many apologies, I am Miura Aina, and travelled here from my home. Your servants have graciously offered me to stay as your guest, given the curfew that prevents going further."
Kaida Hensu-jutsu (BCS 9) [1d20]=1

If the shrewd mother doesn't cut her off there by seeing through her disguise:
Kaida, currently in the guise of Miura Aina, changes her tactics from occupying the servants to ingratiating and getting the tour from the wife, son, and/or daughter (the daughter being the most pliable if she must choose). She does this via recognition and flattery - she is obviously of the caste they aspire to, and her use of word-forms, demeanor, and politeness to treat them as peers in this instance plays on their vanity. (Goal: get tour of center building to map it, identify if the teacup is there, and what other valuables they will show off.)

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by jemmus »

Sorry for the delay posting. This post is a little more complicated than most. Kaida has an updated map in the private forum.
Kaida’s roll of 1 is a Critical Success, so the effects of the hensu-jutsu action are substantially greater.

Kaida delivers an inspired performance in the role of a buke’s daughter showing gracious respect to the merchant family-- albeit a very wealthy merchant family. The woman’s expression changes from suspicious to proud and charmed. Yes, I’ll give a tour of the parts of the house that are presentable. She name-drops, The kuge* that formerly owned it let some parts fall slightly into disrepair. But first, you must change into dry clothing. She turns to the younger female servant. Sanae, take Miura-san to the bath and give her a towel and a dry yukata.* She’ll stay in the north guest bedroom, so lay out the futon. Then bring the young lady back here for tea and a little tour of the mansion. Atsuko, prepare tea and bring a meal for Miura-san. Rice, miso soup, grilled conger eel with grated radish and soy sauce, and pickles.

This area of the house seems to be the tea and dining room. Kaida sees that the east and west walls have shelves for displaying works of art. There are ceramic pieces on them, but the target vessel isn’t apparent on them. However, the room is not particularly well-lit. It seems that the wealthy family is rather thrifty with their use of candles.

The walls of this room continue north for over 25 yards, and end in fine sliding shoji screens of another room or rooms. But before them sits a room within a room. It has its own four walls that are around 2 ½ yards tall, but no room. Beyond them great wooden columns a yard thick rise to the high ceiling. A drapery of striped silk is stretched between them at the ceiling’s level.

Sanae says, One moment, guest-sama. She hurries off to an entrance to the southeast, wear a covered bridge leads to a separate building. It’s the one at the end of the eastern columned open air gallery. The merchant's wife makes small talk. It's a dreadful night, isn't it? And you got caught in the rain. Miura, that's a samurai name isn't it? Please forgive me for being rude, but you allies of the Takeda? With this war going on and on, even a simple merchant family needs to know as much information as it can.
For it's own protection.
Young Kaida can feel that the merchant woman, though hospitable enough, is looking for information that may in some way provide a connection, gain or advantage. The girl and the boy watch, curious and waiting for the visitor's answer.

She soon returns with a white yukata with bamboo patterns in indigo a snow white towel. Please follow me, guest-sama. She leads Kaida to an entrance at the northeast of this part of the room. The cross a covered bridge to a separate building. There’s a large bath, and rooms with shoji that appear to be bedrooms. Please change your clothes in the bath, guest-sama. You can leave your wet clothing in the bath, I'll see to them. I'll prepare your futon while you're changing.

*Noble, aristocrat
*Light cotton summer kimono

I moved the action on, past Kaida's answer to the question. Please insert that into the action before Kaida goes to the bathroom.
What items other than her hensu-jutsu clothing does Kaida have with her?
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by jemmus »

Minoru sees Kaida successfully enter the mansion. The room seems to be vast, and its decor rich. A woman in the house in a rather gaudy kimono comes up to Kaida, looking rather suspicious and severe. But the older woman servant who came onto the veranda and called to the young man servant Mata-ichi in the yard goes back in. The slides the shoji screens of the front door shut, and Minoru can see the interior's scene no more.

The dog barks suspicious, uncertain barks into the night. The two ronin come back and briefly confer with the young man in the yard. The one with the yari says, Nothing. Should we report to the mistress? No, she won't want more wet bodies on her veranda. Including mine, comes the reply. With his candle-lit lantern held protected by his umbrella, he goes up onto the boards of the eastern colonnaded gallery. The one where the dog had been naughtily resting in, instead of under it.
The ronin start at a fast walk in the rain back toward their outbuilding to the south.

The servant crosses the mansion's east to west veranda at a quiet walk, glancing toward the interior, as if not wanting to be heard or to get involved with might be going on within. He turns south onto the boards of the western gallery, exits it and re-enters the main yard. He seems to be headed toward a stone post lantern standing in the central west side of the yard.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

Fire Eyes (BCS 11) [1d20]=16
Fire Eyes (BCS 11) [1d20]=18
Fire Eyes (BCS 11) [1d20]=19
Fire Eyes (BCS 11) [1d20]=1
Okay, so that is -1 -1 -1 (-2) a critical success reduces the successful casting's cost. for -4 total power, leaving her at 15/25 Power after her previous casting.

That's four attempts at six seconds of "intense focus" each. She will have to space them out for opportune moments when she is relatively unobserved (when the servant is tending to something besides her, or at worst waiting until she is alone in the bath.

When this is successful, she will see through darkness as if it is normal light, allowing her to more effectively case the place despite the dimmness from insiufficient candles. :)

What items other than her hensu-jutsu clothing does Kaida have with her?

None... her Kyotetsu-shoge is bundled with her ninja garb, hidden before she came in. If she was coming deep cover and had "lost her luggage" she was not bringing her other clan items. She has to rely on her wits and magic.
Kaida sidesteps the tretcherous question, entrapment into talk of the war. I am from Sagami, she answers, where we ally with the Minimoto as do the Takeda. As she is pressured, she plays the unwise girl and tells some easy facts to her 'new friend' - I expect related to the rice harvests being good, the Sagami province surrounded by Minimoto clans remains less-ravaged by the Taira incursions, and thus in a good place to aid the Takeda.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by jemmus »

Ah, Sagami, the woman says. I've been their once. It's famous for its delicious cured fish paste. But my husband lost a whole train of goods there. It was struck by lightning. A very costly event, because the goods were uninsured. Insurers are gouging with usurious rates, saying "because of the war hazards." Quite villainous. In any event, it's good that you're loyal to your family, and your clan is under the protection of the Takeda. We're just merchants of the merchant caste. Our only concern with the war is for our safety, and that it doesn't cause the regular people too much suffering. But Kaida remembers that Kawaishi-sensei said that Tanaka Jiro made is fortune in only half a year, taking advantage of local surpluses and shortages. Buy very cheap here (because the people need money for shortage items), transport the goods, sell very high there (because the people have no other choice).

Kaida goes to the bath and guest quarters with the servant Sanae. Along the way she crosses an open-air covered bridge, 12 yards long, toward another building. With her magical vision, she see that it is adjacent to an vegetable garden on the grounds. Another bridge is parallel to it, 7 yards to the south, leading to the same building. She enters the building, where a single lantern is lit. It has a bath room* and rows of shoji door panels on each side of a hallway. There's also what looks like a closet in one wall. Kaida dries herself in the bathroom and changes to the dry yukata. There's a basket with inexpensive disposable bamboo combs, each wrapped in paper to indicate that it has never been used. Kaida uses one to arrange her hair. When she emerges, Sanae slides the room next door's shoji open and says, This will be your room tonight, guest-sama. The lantern is not lit yet. With her magical vision, in the quick time that the shoji is open, Kaida sees a room with tatami mats, around 7 yards by 7 yards. There is a closet on the outer wall, likely for storing bedding during the day. Their are flat zabuton pillows on the floor, and a small table. An ink painting of a pair of male and female cranes is on the wall. Please come with me back to the dining room, guest-sama. Then I'll collect your wet clothing and take it to the laundry.

When they return to the main room, the woman says, So, let me show you our humble residence, Miura-san. As I said, we about to start renovations. Please forgive the places that have become worn. And we have to do something about the artwork. I'm not sure about the kuge's taste. You've seen the guest pavilion, which is also has the children's bedrooms. She takes a lit lantern and walks to the southeast of the room. She and Kaida cross an open-air bridge to another building to the east. The arrangement is the same as to the west, and symmetrical: two bridges running east-west, 7 yards apart. An artificial stream is under this one. They enter a room that has tatami mats, and two floor tables facing a bigger one. The tables have brushes and inkstone, and there are shelves on the wall with scrolls. This is the library and the children's classroom. She points to shoji to the north, behind the bigger desk. The kitchen, laundry, and servants' quarters are there. We don't need to see those, do we?

The two cross the bridge back into the main room. The girl and the boy have sat down on flat pillows at a table. They are starting a game of hanafuda flower cards.
The continue to look at the visitor Kaida, the girl curiously and the boy still haughtily. The woman leads Kaida north to the room within a room. She slides a shoji open. This is called the moya. It means "mother room," because it's the heart of a shinden-zukuri villa. That's what this kind of architecture is called. Here is where my husband occasionally greets visitors. Not every time, as I suppose the kuge would have with lower-ranking visitors.

The two continue north along the west open passageway beside the moya the room within a room. And finally, my husband's and my bedroom. It's a large room with tatami mats, around 16 yards wide by 10 yards deep. There are shoji closet doors on the west wall, unusually for Nippon, of fine hardwood. On the east wall, there's a bath and other hardwood shoji. The room is divided by beautifully-painted folding partition screens. Well, that's it. As I said, it needs work... she says, as if waiting for Kaida's and comments.

*Bath only. At this point Nippon's toilets are outhouses

We need 5 Detection of Hidden Things rolls for Kaida.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by jemmus »

Kaida looks around the merchant's and his wife's large bedroom. She spot a lock's keyhole in the hardwood shoji on the eastern wall. The shoji on the west wall don't have locks.
And she realizes that the room is not as wide as the dining room, it's around 4 yards more narrow. Since the shoji to the east is flush with the bathroom's wall, their must be a room behind that around 4 yards wide.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Clean, dried, and redressed, Kaida continues to praise the wife and allow her ego to brag, revealing more details of their home, until her laundered outfit is returned. She praises the wife's work in restoring the home and property, allows the wife to explain all the details of the Kyoto architecture that Kaida doesn't know, and in so doing get details of what remains to be done in the part they have not shown. She also praises the woman on her staff, as it must take many, and in so doing collects what she can on all those who work here as well.

Gathering what I can, playing the role until it is safe to depart, then regrouping with the team to share what she learned so they can do a break-in a different night.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by jemmus »

The merchant's wife happily accepts praise of her house and her staff. We'll have to finish part of the floor of the western colonnade gallery. And we're removing old trees on the east side of the yard. We'll make that area into what's called in the capital a "strolling garden." They have a pathway that circles around, so that the viewer sees the same trees, bushes, flowers and rocks from different angles, so that many different unique views are seen. I hope the garden designer we've retained is up to it. He comes well-recommended, but this is provincial Kofu, you know.

The three servants are adequate for the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and other daily things. But when we have guests, we bring in a professional chef. And Sanae is hardly a refined server. There really should be a way to hire refined servers on a temporary basis. Without having to resort to hiring oiran* hostesses. I won't have that kind of woman in my house to possibly influence my innocent daughter. And my son's at the age where he's starting to notice woman.

At the mention of her laundry and leaving, the woman says, Oh, your apparel surely won't dry before morning on this wet night. And we won't send you out in the night in this rain. Where would you go? To some common inn? What would your Miura family think of that? Besides, it's the Hour of the Dog, and the Hour of the Boar curfew is not long away. No, you'll stay the night with us, and in the morning after breakfast Mata-Ichi will escort you to the Takedas' visitors registration office. They'll know where your servant is. She whispers, a little conspiratorily, They know where every stray cat in Kofu is. Neh? You registered with them, didn't you? Visitors have to tell them where they'll stay tonight, don't they? Where did you say you would stay?

*Predecessors of the later geisha
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:04 pm Gathering what I can, playing the role until it is safe to depart, then regrouping with the team to share what she learned so they can do a break-in a different night.
Clairfying: Yes, I assumed to that stay in the role she needed to sleep and depart in the morning. I'd like to jump ahead to doing so and meeting back up with the others, unless there's more challenges/rolls to overcome to get there. (I'd rather move to group, rather than solo, activity.) Also, will to allow reasonable flashbacks for planning? Like, "if the ruse goes to morning, Minoru will disguise and come as a servant to inquire about her?"

Having acquired as much intel as she reasonably expects to and been lucky in her own acting prowess, Kaida yawns daintily and expresses her gratitude for hospitality, and that she is indeed quite tired from the day of travel. She will retire to the private room she was offered until the morning, then rise early to eat what breakfast is offered and depart (still following the expectations of the role she is in, leaving as early as she can justify with as little fuss as possible, but not "sneaking away" in a manner unbecoming her role).

Return to “Honor or Death (FGU Bushido)”