OOC 2 - More Rambling, Ranting, and Such

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC 2 - More Rambling, Ranting, and Such

#302 Post by hedgeknight »

Morning fellers > freaking exhausted from the last two weeks of school and with only a day and a half to go, there is no rest for the weary as they say. Been trying to squeeze in posts here and there and will move both threads forward one more time before my weekend "down time" in Charlotte. :mrgreen:

Next week are three teacher workdays and then on Thursday, I'm officially on summer vacation until August 20! Looking forward to cranking our game into high gear. Looking ahead, as you plan your own summer vacations where you'll be offline, please post them a few days ahead of time to keep us all aware. Thanks!
Winter is coming...

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#303 Post by Hoondatha »

Whoops, sorry about that. Bag added. Bear added. Roll for bear's hit points: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4078754/

Also, it looks like I'm suddenly going to be going to Europe for a job interview week after next. I'll be bringing my laptop, but I'll be really busy, so posting will likely be sporadic.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#305 Post by AQuebman »

the out of town thread reminded me of how we handle away players in our 3.5 Pathfinder campaign I have with a few buddies. It started off where I had a magic item much like a baby carrier that would hold a PC who was away I wanted to take with me without impairing my ability to fight. They would just fall asleep and i'd carry them around lol.

Now I think we just have a magic black portal that just sucks people up into it made me wonder what other methods you guys have seen to deal with players that are gone. The amusing ones are my favorite.

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#306 Post by Hoondatha »

I just DMPC them. Having people appear and disappear doesn't exactly add to the game's realism.

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#307 Post by rtdersch »

I'd have to agree with Hoon. Also, it appears that posts may slow down during summer time when people take vacation, or are just busy outside while the weather is permitting. I think this okay as it gives me a chance to figure out how I want to develop Nokrugh. Reading back through my posts there are things I would have liked to add/subtract so as to develop him into the character I'd like for him to eventually become. With a little extra time between postings it gives me the opportunity to think about his character a little more, and to add a little more substance to my posts.
Nökrugh - Level 2 Half-Orc Fighter (Berserker) - Hedges Forgotten Realms HP 29/29 AC:3

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by hedgeknight »

Back in the saddle, fellers!
Had a nice, tiresome but refreshing weekend in Charlotte - picked up some nice comics to add to my collection, and likely gained a few pounds from eating out and drinking enough beer to sink a small ship! ;)

Summer time is usually down time in most games with people's schedule, but like Ray said, that will allow for some thought out posts and some game and character planning and building.

Will catch up and move all threads forward today/tomorrow.
Winter is coming...

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#309 Post by AQuebman »

Hoondatha wrote:I just DMPC them. Having people appear and disappear doesn't exactly add to the game's realism.
Admittedly our pathfinder campaign is such a silly campaign due to player personalities that I think realism gets thrown out the window. For more serious campaigns DMPC'ing or explaining them away has been the traditional method we have gone about.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#310 Post by AQuebman »

Also I love the play into Nokrugh's psyche and his religious feelings after being with Oggle. I definitely love the character development, i'm rooting for you guys against the ogres!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by hedgeknight »

In a face to face game, it is easier to say, "Character X is not with you on this adventure. He is drinking up the profits from the last adventure and will meet up with you in the future. Hopefully next week." ;)

Same goes for a pbp if the group is at a good stopping point - say back in town or something similar - and a player is going on vacation or out of town, I will do nothing with their character. I have enough NPC's to cover anyway. :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#312 Post by rtdersch »

AQuebman wrote:Also I love the play into Nokrugh's psyche and his religious feelings after being with Oggle. I definitely love the character development, i'm rooting for you guys against the ogres!
This being Nokrughs first time away from home, and being a "half-breed" at that should make for interesting development. He has a natural affinity towards the dwarves he's met, and especially Oggle because he respects Oggle's prowess in battle and his reverence for his deity; even if it isn't his own.

He's starting to take a liking to Cole for mainly the same reason, his fighting prowess and bravery. Tarrin he's still wary of, though I'd guess a lot of people are wary of mages, especially those with powerful albeit, unpredictable magic. The elves he feels no kindred spirit with yet however, having seen them in battle and the havoc they cause with their bows, he respects their abilities a great deal. He especially appreciates Darkstars cautious, thoughtful nature which he'd never admit in front of Oggle.
Nökrugh - Level 2 Half-Orc Fighter (Berserker) - Hedges Forgotten Realms HP 29/29 AC:3

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#313 Post by AQuebman »

Oggle's low charismatic way of handling things is probably a little closer to the orc mentality and is probably why he felt such a connection with Nokrugh in comparison to the more composed and thoughtful others. The religious angle wasn't a planned on being such a deep part of the character but it just sort of fit like a glove as the campaign progressed.

I've been running my DCC campaign the way i've read that Gygax and co used to run things where players are just there or they aren't no questions asked or explanation as to what happened. It's made it so I can run as many players as want to run and not sweat whether they are posting fast slow or not at all. The only real rule in that regard I have to implement is a 2 day to post for combat and if not you either aren't in the combat or your character does nothing.

Hope you weren't related to the Orc's we just slew. :mrgreen:

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#314 Post by rtdersch »

AQuebman wrote:Oggle's low charismatic way of handling things is probably a little closer to the orc mentality and is probably why he felt such a connection with Nokrugh in comparison to the more composed and thoughtful others. The religious angle wasn't a planned on being such a deep part of the character but it just sort of fit like a glove as the campaign progressed.

I've been running my DCC campaign the way i've read that Gygax and co used to run things where players are just there or they aren't no questions asked or explanation as to what happened. It's made it so I can run as many players as want to run and not sweat whether they are posting fast slow or not at all. The only real rule in that regard I have to implement is a 2 day to post for combat and if not you either aren't in the combat or your character does nothing.

Hope you weren't related to the Orc's we just slew. :mrgreen:
Wait, what is that? I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

NOPE NEVER MIND.

That was just Hedge thinking about a very, very nasty plot twist! :lol:

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#315 Post by hedgeknight »

School's...out...for...summer!!

Yep, working for the school system has it's perks. 8-)

I should be able to check in daily, but will try to limit posting to every other day so as not to pressure anyone to post, post, POST!
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#316 Post by Alethan »

hedgeknight wrote:School's...out...for...summer!!

Yep, working for the school system has it's perks. 8-)

I should be able to check in daily, but will try to limit posting to every other day so as not to pressure anyone to post, post, POST!

post, post, POST!!!

:D
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by hedgeknight »

Er...anybody out there? :?
Winter is coming...

Hoondatha
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#318 Post by Hoondatha »

I'm here, but there's nothing for Tarrin to do. He's hanging out with the barbarians, but no one has come back to report, and no one's attacked. So he's just watching.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#319 Post by Alethan »

hedgeknight wrote:Er...anybody out there? :?
Apologies, all! I thought I had a response posted out there. I guess it didn't take for some reason? I'll re-write it...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”