Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

Gull's Landing

#1 Post by Revenant »

Gull's Landing.jpg
Gull's Landing.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 23189 times
KEY TO THE MAP
Note you will need to enlarge the map to see the keyed #'s.
1 - Farmer's Stall
2 - Gallowhawk Estates
3 - Gallowhawk Tree
4 - Temple of Valkur
5 - Knights of the Gull
6 - Guard Barracks
7 - Captain of the Guard
8 - Temple of Tempus
9 - Temple of Selûne
10 - The Seaside Market
11 - Merchant's Guildhouse
12 - The Harbormaster
13 - Gull's Landing Lighthouse
14 - Hallaverna Boat & Ship Builders
15 - Aurens Dalavere's Home
16 - The Bosun's Brow Tavern & Inn
17 - The Seaman's Guild
18 - The Soiled Swan Tavern
19 - The Purloined Parrot Tavern
20 - Redblade's Arms and Armor
21 - Temple of Lathander
22 - Malaguerre's Tower
23 - Jeffer's Fine Goods Emporium
24 - Asher's Woodworks
25 - The Blind Scrivener
26 - Temple of Torm
27 - Mediphera's Home
Out of the city
And down to the seaside
To sun on my shoulders
And wind in my hair
But sandcastles crumble
And hunger is human
And humans are hungry
For worlds they can't share
My dreams with the seagulls fly
Out of reach out of cry
~ Joni Mitchell

The first sign of the city that you hear as you ride, is the cry of the seagulls that flock along the docks of the harbor of Gull's Landing. Mave warns you all that it is a crime to harm a seagull within the city. Ahead you see the stalls of a makeshift market, filled with trinkets, colorful clothing, caps, all types of seafood fresh and some still on the merchant's grills cooking for incoming travelers. Two young girls dance beside the road into the city showing their shapely legs while an old woman who looks as if she could be their grandmother holds out a wide-brimmed hat for tips. An older man plays a fiddle behind the girls.

A large oaken table is set outside the town gates where a rail-thin man with an elaborately waxed mustache takes notes of all who enter the city. A gruff-looking man in chain holding a halberd shouts out loudly at all who wish to enter, "All those seeking entry must register! Out of the goodwill of our Lord Darvyn Gallowhawk, all may enter freely, but if you are bringing goods to sell there is a 10 gold piece tax for import of ANY goods!"

De'Athyra slips from her mount and runs to where the girls dance, trying to imitate their moves and clapping her hands to the music.

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Gull's Landing

#2 Post by tristenc »

Nis chuckles at De'Athrya's youthful exhuberance and dismounts as well, following at a more relaxed pace. She claps in time with the music and might take a step or two to the tune. Ducky catches the scent of fish and moves off to find any discarded bits that are up to his standards. Nis slips a pair of silver into the old woman's hat and keeps an eye on the others so the group doesn't get separated.

Once the group moves on she will be sure De'Ath is with them.

zagygthemad
Scout
Scout

#3 Post by zagygthemad »

Sigismund

Sigismund dismounts and looks around, now he had to find the recipient of the package he had to be delivered, one wizard named Magnus if he was remembering right, he'd have to look at the address and name on the package. What is going on around here? Is there something I can do to help? he asks Mave as he straightens his clothes.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Darithe »

Mave

"Do not be troubled good sir," she says to Sigismund, "My father is strict on knowing the comings and goings of those who enter the city. This is normal for entrance to the city." She pauses to watch the dancers, slipping a gold piece in the older woman's hat. Then she moves to the market stalls browsing the wares, though she doesn't purchase anything. When no one is at the registrar, she will approach seeing if she recognizes the man. Regardless she will state, "I am Lady Mave Gallowhawk, would you please call the captain of the gate, we have prisoners to deliver into his custody. And then I'd like you contact my brothers and let them know I've returned."

zagygthemad
Scout
Scout

#5 Post by zagygthemad »

Sigismund

"Pardon me M'Lady, can I ask one last question? Where can I go in the town to find employment? With the delivery of this package, I will be released from my apprenticeship to my master, and my purse is light." He asks Lady Mave while waiting on the guard.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Nods at the local guards and silently indicates to the bound prisoners after Mave makes her announcement. She stays saddled until they are taken by the locals, mace drawn but laying across her saddle horn.

Edit: corrected here to her.
Last edited by spanningtree on Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne stays with the prisoners until she is satisfied they are secure in the guards care.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Revenant »

The old woman smiles a toothless grin as she takes the donations out of her hat and places them in her coin purse. The two dancing girls giggle and smile at De'Athyra who chatters away in her foreign tongue.

The registrar mutters under his breath at the chatter, "More Vagary thieves..." Then looking to the rest of the group, "I will need your names and if you have goods to declare for sale, I will need the tax payment." The man, whom Mave doesn't recognize furrows his brow and squints his eyes as if he has trouble seeing her or perhaps he is trying to place her face, "Lady Mave you say," he looks to the guard behind him, "Do as she says, fetch the gate captain." The gruff guard's face behind him softens as recognizes the daughter of his lord, "That be her Master Frunken. I'll go fetch the captain at once, he will wish to know right away!" He then rushes off inside of the gate as the registrar continues to watch you beneath furrowed brows.

Several minutes pass and during this time, the market stall merchants start to pack up their goods as night will soon fall. The dancing girls wave to De'Athyra and with the two older folks make their way through the gates.

After a rather lengthy wait, the formerly gruff guard returns with a portly armored man following, mace in hand, trailed by four armored guards:
Captain of the Gate.jpg
Captain of the Gate.jpg (52.45 KiB) Viewed 23146 times
The man smiles widely looking at Mave, "Why saints be praised, Lady Mave has returned safe and sound. Your father's been worried sick about you, he even sent out search parties. I've notified the manor house of your return. Now what's this about having some prisoners?"

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by The Bindoner »

Wilwayaisawén

Wilwarin covers herself in her cloak and guards the prisoners, trying to be inconspicuous and anonymous.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne continues to remain silent for new.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Mave greets the captain, "Sir, tis good to see you again. It seems during our travels, we encountered a group of brigands encamped west of Haldin. We dispensed justice to a good amount of their companions and these three surrendered. They had also kidnapped this young lady," indicating De'Ath, "no doubt for nefarious reasons. I'd like them held for questioning and trial, if you would be so kind." She then introduces Commander Torvik and Lady Valshire and requests to see her brothers.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Not really sure what to do she waits for the prisoners to be taken, when closer to one of the city guards she'll inquire where the temple of Tempus is located.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Revenant »

Several minutes pass as Master Frunken watches the citizens outside the gate gather their belonging and move inside the gate leaving the outer market deserted. Captain Torvor as Mave calls the portly guard wait outside the gate on the Captain of the Guard who soon arrives with a contingent of 8 additional guards. Mave's eyes go wide with surprise as there is a new Captain of the Guard and she is confused to see the new person in charge.
Captain Macree.jpeg
Captain Macree.jpeg (77.67 KiB) Viewed 23101 times
"Ah, Lady Mave," he grins, "I am overjoyed to see your return." He offers her a curt nod. Then turns to Torvor and says, "Have your men take the prisoners into custody and put them in the dungeons until a proper trial can be arranged."

Jiv says, "But I helped ya. Yer gonna speak for me right?," looking from Mave to Bryne and Torvik. Mek scowls looking mainly at Wilwarin, "You best hope they hang us bitch, else I'll be back to carve my name in yer face." Macree cuffs him hard across the mouth bloodying his lips causing blood to drip down his chin. "Torvor, take them away now!" With that Torvor and his guards drag Mek, Jiv and Grange, the third prisoner through the gates.

Macree then motions his men forward, "Lady Mave, you are under house arrest per the orders of your father Lord Gallowhawk. Should you attempt to flee, we have orders not to harm you, but rest assured we will drag you bodily to your rooms, so I recommend you come quietly and peacefully. And while we have those orders to not harm you, we have no such orders as to your companions should they interfere." Master Frunken watches it all unfold dumbfounded.

Macree then looks to Bryne and Torvik, "Lord Gallowhawk has authorized me to offer you accommodations in the manor house Lady Valshire, should you so desire. Commander Torvik, Lord Gallowhawk would like words with you and your....troops, at your earliest convenience and you are free to stay in the barracks during your time here." He pointedly doesn't look at the others though after his men have surrounded Mave, he glances in the direction of the two elven women and remarks, "I assume you two are looking for employment. Shall I direct you to the nearest bordello?," he half-smiles.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Mave feared something untoward might occur and that fear was brought to fruition. She makes no effort to run or fight the guards taking her into custody, she only looks sadly at her companions adding, "They won't harm me. So don't distress yourselves."

tristenc
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by tristenc »

Nis regards the proceedings with aplomb. Clearly something unexpected and undesirable was going on within the Gallowhawk's retinue. It had little to do with her, really, but she wanted to remain aware.

As soon as the pompus new-captain arrived she sensed something amiss. It was sad but predictable how many people turned into complete asses with just a hint of power... Then again, others had a head-start on such behavior.

When the captain addresses her and Wilwayaisawen, she smirks ruefully and shakes her head. In Elven, she replies cordially. Do you always make it a point to ensure those entering Gull's Landing feel so welcome?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Looking to Mave, she makes the point of speaking loud enough for everyone nearby to hear "Give the word and I will kill the indignant bastard where he stands."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Started and confused she nearly draws her sword but then thinks better of it. Putting a hand on Bryne's shoulder and whispering in her ear: Our lives and freedom will bring more help to this tangled web than the alternative....

She will give a nod to Mave while she graps her symbol of Tempus with white knuckles. She will loiter for the moment, soaking up the situation.

zagygthemad
Scout
Scout

#18 Post by zagygthemad »

Sigismund

Sigi just sits on his horse, completely dumbfounded, not knowing what to do! Completely confused by the situation. "What in the name of the gods is going on?" He looks to his new companions, "Is there anything we can do?"

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by The Bindoner »

Wilwayaisawén

Wilwarin remains impassive as Macree arrests Mave and orders around the others, seeing no point in starting a fight – but quite prepared to join one, if Mave thinks it necessary.

When insulted, she replies coldly:

A place you are at home in, from your manners.

She replies to Nis, jestingly, in Elvish:

It seems he has grown tired of his mother's company there, and longs for fresh faces.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by Revenant »

Macree glares at Bryne, "I see the rumors are true that your father coddled his legitimate heirs and forgot to teach them proper manners. I hope he taught his bastards better." He then looks again at Wilwarin and Niserie, "We speak the King's tongue here wenches, not degenerate fey babble." He's about to say more when he is interrupted by a loud deep voice, "What the hells is going on here?" The man who appears is tall and lean with long straw-colored hair and a neatly trimmed beard of the same color. He is dressed in plate, with the stylized symbol of a gull in flight on his breast showing he is a Knight of the Gull.
Garet Gallowhawka.jpg
Garet Gallowhawka.jpg (131.18 KiB) Viewed 23041 times
Macree nods to him, "Sir Garet, I am only following your father's orders. Your sister is to be confined to her rooms, until the betrothal takes place." Mave looks shocked at this news as does Garet, but then Macree orders his guards to start for the manor. Garet calls out to his sister, "Mave, don't worry, I will speak to father and we'll sort this out." Garet then moves to Macree his face nearly touching the older man's, "Do not think we are done here. If I ever hear you speak to visitors to our town in such a way again, I will personally see you are demoted down to latrine guard, are we clear?" Macree barely suppresses a sneer as he bows his head, "Yes my lord." He then turns and follows his guards.

The knight then turns to look at each of you, "I am deeply sorry if he offended you. He is new to his position and I'm afraid he has yet to learn the decorum necessary to his title, and I fear he never will. I am Garet Gallowhawk, and I trust you are friends of Mave?" He looks questioningly at each of you.

Return to “Nocturne (2e)”