Checking Out The Caves (initial run)

OGRE MAGE
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Checking Out The Caves (initial run)

#61 Post by OGRE MAGE »

sastaz wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:47 pm Do I read the 1e rules correctly that Charm person range of 12" means 120 yards outdoors? So they're both within range?
Correct.

And for the record, casting a spell at someone, regardless of distance, would be considered an offensive action.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by ravenn4544 »

Haldric immediately grows suspicious at this obstacle in the road. Either those folks are ignorant of the bandits in the area or brazenly indifferent to the danger. He keeps his seasoned eyes peeled to their flank.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by ateno »

Seeing the group splitting up on each side, Keya attaches himself to the head of the group on his side and scouts forward.

Keya Redd

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

Nice planning everyone! Now I feel bad that Bugs has a Wisdom of 4.

Bugs moves forward with Croebus. "Wow, man. Not everyone can read, you know. It's not cool of you to put them on the spot like that." Shaking his head, he steps forward to address the brigands bandits like-minded individuals. He keeps some distance but is close enough to be able to sign to them.

"Heyo! How are you fellows doing? Fine weather for a hike. I can read the sign for you, if you need. If you could just stay sitting so there's no confusion." Bugs seems to be inflecting his voice oddly and tapping his hands around his legs and brushing dirt off his shoulders.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Will go forward with Bugs and Crobeus, expecting trouble especially if these men think the antics of Bugs are a poor attempt at disguising some spell.

He leans on his staff and studies the men, observing if they are tooled up (saws, picks, farming implements) or perhaps pilgrims (bearing a holy symbol of some kind).

Part of him thinks any bandits would not be too foolish to attack such a combined group as large as ours. He approaches closer.

"I am Crabgrass. My friends and I have just come from the Keep. The guards warn of bandits on the trails, so forgive their suspicions.

The Keep itself is that way if you are lost and looking for direction?"

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#66 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Magdal isn't budging from her spot until she knows what is going on. She can read, but is quite suspicious of these folk, until their innocence is proven. She moves her sights towards the forest believing an ambush is imminent.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc follows Rida once given new instructions and would continue on, except for Magdal who has stopped. Not wanting to leave her behind, for more than one reason, he stops alongside her. "What's on your mind, Mags? Something about this don't smell right."
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#68 Post by OGRE MAGE »

To The Caves!
Forest Detour
Morning

Most of the group(s) slowly moves forward, sticking to the sides of the trail where they can. Anyone looking into the forest on either side of the path sees obvious signs that these two men are definitely not alone out here. The ends of strung bows, tips of swords or other blades, and even hat bills can be seen sticking out from behind several of the larger trees, wherever cover from the thick trunks can be utilized. There has to be at least twenty or thirty other people hidden just out of sight. Possibly more than that.

The two men wait patiently for the group to gather in front of them, showing no signs of subterfuge. One shouts as the front group approaches. "Don't be alarmed. We are only here to collect your toll fees. You will be allowed to pass, just as any other travelers are, once you’ve paid the toll."

Keta guesses that the log has been chopped recently, but the holy ranger doesn't notice any felled trees nearby. He guesses the trunk is far too heavy for only two men to roll into place where it is. Bugs gets no reply from his antics, but one man does engage Crabgrass. "Bandits you say? And bandits on the trails, no less?"

Anyone straggling behind spot two more men who suddenly appear from the woods near the beginning of the detour. They hold their hands up to show they are also unarmed, while gesturing for any rear guard to move ahead and join up with the main group.

Pointing to his sign again, once you are close enough to see it properly, the top half contains a painted silhouette of a man that reads 5gp each. The bottom half has a silhouette of a horse. Next to it reads 20gp each.

“Okay everyone! I see you have no animals with you, so it will be 5 gold coins each to pass, please! And before the grumbling starts, I will warn you that our friends in the trees do NOT like complaining, or bartering, or offering up any deals. They only like money! So ignore the guys you can’t yet see, and simply pay our reasonable fee.”

As he finishes, two arrows zing down from somewhere above, plunking into the log in front of him for obvious dramatic effect.

Actions?

groups?:
Renna Kellamin AC4 9
Magdal Haldeene AC7 16/16
Dredd AC3 16/16
Sylla Lontharra AC5 6/6/9
Stobart Galt AC5 10/10
Pimlan Greenstride AC6 9/9
Crobeus AC3 10/10

Loyn Shortbeard AC5 12/12
Rida AC2 10/10
Haldric Hammerheart AC3 12/12
Keya Redd AC5 12/12
Gyb the Meager AC10 8/8
Crabgrass AC7 6/6
Bugs Donato AC3 8/8

Marching order on the road:
Magdal (R) + Keya (C/R)
Stobart (C) + Loyn (F)
Sylla (M-U/C) + Haldric (C)
Crobeus (P) + Pimlin (F/T)
Renna (M-U/C) + Crabgrass (M-U/C)
Bugs (T) + Gyb (M)
Dredd (F) + Rida (F)

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#69 Post by Hotgoblin »

Loyn-dwarf fighter

Knowing some in the group wont have enough to pay, Loyn moves to the front before anyone has a chance to overreact. “I will pay the way for all of my companions, I see you and your bunch have weapons aimed and ready. We will not provoke you today. However, I would like your word that this is the only extortion toll you have set up along the way!”

He counts out 60 gold, but waits to hear the man’s response.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

Gyb gulps at the signs of all the armed people amongst the trees. He whispers to Bugs: "There are many of them, yes there are. Many, but stupid. Gyb doesn't even have five silver. So they'll have to fight or let him go. Much better to rob Gyb on the way home, with lots of treasure".

Gyb begins to casually look for the best place to run for cover once the fighting starts.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

He nods at Gyb and whispers back. "That's what I was saying! But don't worry, I can cover you if everyone keeps calm."

Bugs smiles in appreciation of the shake-down. "You get the dangerous part, eh? Do you get a bigger share? I'd dig a trench behind the tree so that if they need to start shooting, you'd have someplace to hide."

He cocks his head at Loyn's offer and shrugs. "Works for me."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rex »

Rida

Rida continues to bring up the rear, leaving no one behind and trying to use whatever trees he can as cover from any potential archers in the woods.

"Two at the rear on the trail, appear unarmed. The sarge always said kill those only armed with staves and daggers first."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass
There has to be at least twenty or thirty other people hidden just out of sight. Possibly more than that.
That is a wild speculation of course. There could be fifty or only five or no one at all. But I get the scene certainly they have advantage with us on the trail in the open and them being behind cover. A mage or two he expects as well. Most graduate like him with a minimal repertoire including Charms and Sleep inducing spells. That being so, half of us could be comatose already and one or two enticed away. Better not give them any ideas or thoughts he might conduct any spell craft of his own.

As coins are counted out by Loyn, I will pluck an arrow from the log.

"I shall silver tip the barb of this to be sure and next time we meet, stick it up your a$$."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

Realizing the situation, Dredd gives the two men approaching from the back a glare and says loud enough for those in the woods to here. "I despise a fuckin' thief! Your mothers must be real proud of the pansies they squirted out!"
He brandishes his spear and says, "Show me your steel and come face us like men instead of cowering behind trees like dogs!"
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Rex »

Rida

Rida will study some of the weapons that are sticking out from behind trees, do they appear to be moving at all like they would if someone was holding them, or just still like tied in place?

Wis check (18) [1d20]=1

Assuming this falls under Wisdom, not Intelligence, if I have it wrong feel free to assume he didn't attempt this.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Magdal whispers to Dredd, "What's on my mind, is I think we are being conned. I don't think anyone is out there save the ones in front and back." At Dredd's words, she whirls about, so they stand close back to back, a hint of the honeysuckle tinted perfume she wears reaching his nostrils, as she whispers, "At least we won't be shot in the back." She tries to discern if there is a ruse afoot but cannot be sure, yet she calls out, "If there be hands holding those swords, shake them and prove you are more than shadows."

Wisdom Check: [1d20]=18

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by sastaz »

Sylla is perplexed at the sudden rise in the number of volunteering spokespersons. When things seem to lead to an inevitable confrontation - despite Loyns generous offer - she takes a few subtle steps sideways as to stand behind the hot-heads of the group, not in front of them.

To quote Snagglepuss: "Exit left!"

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by ateno »

Keya leads his group farther into the forest, attempting to get a flank as best he can.

Keya Redd

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#79 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

The paladin realizes there is an alternative- they can go back and walk alongside the washed out road. It might not be that easy, but it might be safer. Then again, these are likely the bandits that they were warned about. Perhaps a reward might be offered for ridding the area of this threat?

"Loyn, put your money away. We should not pay the bandits. They'll just continue to prey on travelers who can't fight back", he tells the dwarf in a low voice. "Maybe we get a reward for removing the bandit threat, eh?"
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#80 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ateno wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:03 pm Keya leads his group farther into the forest, attempting to get a flank as best he can.
I'm not sure I understand this action.

Do you mean to continue up the trail after the fee is paid?

Return to “Revisiting the Classics: Mod 1 “Return to Kendall Keep” (1e)”