0001 A Boat Trip Up the Silver River

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 0001 A Boat Trip Up the Silver River

#21 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:38 pm
ateno wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:58 pm "You can keep the book for now, its a third edition, plenty of knowledge, but not particularly expensive. Ha, does not have the narcotic mixes from the first edition."

Looking around, and pondering words.

"Speaking of heat, you don't think I need to put on my leathers yet, this barge would not transit without a safe passage, That's right? Right?

Malbek looks to the banks.
"I changed into mine," Aislin says with a shrug. "If something happens, I wouldn't have time."
Aislin looks out over the rolling hills of grass and small copses of trees to the west and sees no dangers. Turning right and looking north and east, though, she sees trees and more trees. She likes trees, but the Old Forest hides many dangers, and if trouble comes along this stretch of river it will come from that direction. For now, though, all seems quiet.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:59 pm "Hermundr, there you are, I told you last night about what I had read about travelling with a possible hangover. And also that we did not have the herbs they speak about to stop the sickness."
Malbek's words do nothing for Hermundr's aching head, nor his queasy stomach. The boat is headed for the village of Berm, yes, that's right. Berm will surely have an Apothecary and they will have a potion for his discomfort. He just has to survive until he gets there.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by ateno »

joertexas wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:38 pm "I changed into mine," Aislin says with a shrug. "If something happens, I wouldn't have time."
"Alright, I'll go down below and put them one, see you in a few."

Malbek goes to his cabin and does so.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:55 pm
joertexas wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:38 pm "I changed into mine," Aislin says with a shrug. "If something happens, I wouldn't have time."
"Alright, I'll go down below and put them one, see you in a few."

Malbek goes to his cabin and does so.
No cabins on this boat. Just a canvas covered lean-to near the stern that everyone can huddle under if there is rain or the sun gets too hot.

Malbek's backpack is in a pile with the rest of the party and he picks it up and pulls out his leathers. Nothing really all that special about them. He pulls them out and begins to put them on.

See Clothing in the Nentir Vale for more information about clothing and armor.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#25 Post by bobk2323 »

joertexas wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:46 am
bobk2323 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:22 amAs she loads its little bowl from a soft leather pouch that looks just a bit too expensive for its actual purpose, Maeva lets out yet another sigh. "It's going to be a *really* hot day today, isn't it?"
Aislin looks up from the arrow in her hands, where she's been examining the fletching. "We probably won't notice once we find the creatures we seek."
"Perhaps not...", she replies, in a somewhat neutral-sounding voice.

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.

bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#26 Post by bobk2323 »

ateno wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:58 pm "You can keep the book for now, its a third edition, plenty of knowledge, but not particularly expensive. Ha, does not have the narcotic mixes from the first edition."

Looking around, and pondering words.
The formerly rich young woman gets up then, taking a few moments to stretch her legs a bit after stashing the tome in her pack. "That's fine with me," she says to Malbek with a little grin, "as there are very effective ways to sedate a person via alchemical means, after all."
"Speaking of heat, you don't think I need to put on my leathers yet, this barge would not transit without a safe passage, That's right? Right?"

Malbek looks to the banks.

Malbek
"Maybe..." Maeva's voice trails off as she follows his gaze towards the lush line of trees and other greenery along the river banks, her smile fading into a slight frown when she ponders what that flora might conceal in its depths. "I think it might be a good idea to put mine on at this point, just in case." Shielding her eyes from the sun's glare off the water, she adds, "But given what the weather will be like, it's not something I especially relish."

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by joertexas »

bobk2323 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:42 am
"Maybe..." Maeva's voice trails off as she follows his gaze towards the lush line of trees and other greenery along the river banks, her smile fading into a slight frown when she ponders what that flora might conceal in its depths. "I think it might be a good idea to put mine on at this point, just in case." Shielding her eyes from the sun's glare off the water, she adds, "But given what the weather will be like, it's not something I especially relish."
"The sound of gold coins in your purse will make up for it," Aislin says with a lurking smile.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#28 Post by bobk2323 »

joertexas wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:19 pm
bobk2323 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:42 am
"The sound of gold coins in your purse will make up for it," Aislin says with a lurking smile.
"Maybe..." Maeva repeats herself, but with smile this time.

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by ateno »

"Some gold for me would be nice, but I read of stories of a few civilizations all in the past around there, might be some interesting history."

he says it it like all history is interesting. :)

Malbek

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by Eris »

The sun passes overhead and begins to descend as the boat continues up stream. The landscape along the banks is slowly changing as more copse of trees appear and grow larger over on the left while the forest becomes thicker and taller on the right. Still nothing appears to cause danger to the boat, its crew or passengers.

Once Took, standing at the bow, points of to the left to a group of trees that have come down to the water and calls back, "Company!"

Looking that direction you see a group of humans who are casting nets into the river. As you come closer they pull in their nets and disappear back into the woods. From what you could see they were dressed in furs and skins...barbarians, probably. You pass on by and soon they are lost in the distance.

"Berm ahead!" shouts one of the crewmen who has taken Took's place at the bow, and you all look forward. You can see where the Silver River splits into two branches. To the left is what is called the Winter River and moving ahead to the north the Silver River becomes the Dragon. Berm is located on the west bank of the Silver River just before the fork.

As the boat draws nearer you see a wooden palisade that starts at the river bank and extends a few hundred feet back from the river. The land outside the palisade has been cleared of trees and there are plots of gardens laid out where vegetables and grain is being grown. Passing the palisade you come to a wooden dock that runs along the river bank. Behind the dock is a the village of Berm.

"Well, we're here." says the Captain as he encourages you to gather your gear, "We're to put you off here as we unload our cargo. Good luck with whatever it is the Guild has you doing up this way."

Soon you find yourselves standing on the wooden dock looking around. There aren't many buildings here. The buildings are built of stone with wooden second stories and roofs that appear to be shingled with thin planks of wood. Only a few people are out and about on the dirt streets. In addition to several homes, you spot what must be a tavern, a general store, a smithy, and an apothecary shop from the signs on them. There is a small temple from the domed roof off to one side and a building made entirely of stone...probably the town hall, jail, guardhouse.

Looking down the street you see the village ends at another palisade wall that runs the length of the town and there is another on the northern side that also runs down to the river. You see several people standing on walk ways built into the top of the palisade walls keeping watch both of the river and the dark forest to your east. As you look around a woman and three men come out to the docks and start helping the boat's crew unload a few barrels and crates.

"Welcome to Berm." says the woman nodding to your party, "I'm Rena. I run the store here. We expected some goods on the boat and Lars expected these barrels of ale, but we didn't expect any visitors. What brings you to our little village?"

OOC: You know you need to travel along a road from here to Old Bridge which is a day or two north of here by foot. It is late in the day now so it might not be a good idea to set out for Old Bridge until the morning.

Your option, though. What do you want to do now?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:26 am "Welcome to Berm." says the woman nodding to your party, "I'm Rena. I run the store here. We expected some goods on the boat and Lars expected these barrels of ale, but we didn't expect any visitors. What brings you to our little village?"
Aislin nodded to the woman. "I am Aislin. My companions and I are traveling to the Old Bridge on the morrow. We need a place to stay for the night."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by ateno »

"And maybe a bit of this ale, unless you have a local brewed?

Looks around, "Also a local up to date map?"

Malbek

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:56 pm
Eris wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:26 am "Welcome to Berm." says the woman nodding to your party, "I'm Rena. I run the store here. We expected some goods on the boat and Lars expected these barrels of ale, but we didn't expect any visitors. What brings you to our little village?"
Aislin nodded to the woman. "I am Aislin. My companions and I are traveling to the Old Bridge on the morrow. We need a place to stay for the night."
"Lars has a few rooms he lets to travelers." says Rena she waves to Lars and calls out, "These folk are looking for a night's lodgings."
Malbek adds, "And maybe a bit of this ale, unless you have a local brewed?

Looks around, "Also a local up to date map?"
The short bald headed human man steps over to the group and says with a grin, "Aye, I can do rooms and we have a good local ale here. These barrels are filled with wine, we don't make that here up here in Berm."

"Come with us over to my Inn and I'll get you folks fixed up."
Lars and the other locals put the barrels and crates on wheeled dollies and begin pulling them toward the buildings in the village, "So, you're headed for Old Bridge, ah? I heard they're having a Goblin problem up there. Oh, and about maps, don't know if you can find an actual map here, but we can give you directions to follow on the river road, sure enough."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by ateno »

Eris wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:23 pm "Come with us over to my Inn and I'll get you folks fixed up." [/dialog]Lars and the other locals put the barrels and crates on wheeled dollies and begin pulling them toward the buildings in the village, "So, you're headed for Old Bridge, ah? I heard they're having a Goblin problem up there. Oh, and about maps, don't know if you can find an actual map here, but we can give you directions to follow on the river road, sure enough."
Malbek shoulders his bag, smiles and walks aside Lars.

"We would happily follow you for somewhere where our legs are stable. Directions are welcome, I was hoping for a better understanding of the local area. Is there a old codger around here that knows the land that I could talk to for a couple ales so I could draw on with their help?"

Malbek

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by joertexas »

ateno wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:25 pm
Eris wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:23 pm "Come with us over to my Inn and I'll get you folks fixed up." [/dialog]Lars and the other locals put the barrels and crates on wheeled dollies and begin pulling them toward the buildings in the village, "So, you're headed for Old Bridge, ah? I heard they're having a Goblin problem up there. Oh, and about maps, don't know if you can find an actual map here, but we can give you directions to follow on the river road, sure enough."
Malbek shoulders his bag, smiles and walks aside Lars.

"We would happily follow you for somewhere where our legs are stable. Directions are welcome, I was hoping for a better understanding of the local area. Is there a old codger around here that knows the land that I could talk to for a couple ales so I could draw on with their help?"
Aislin follows, but she drifts over and nudges Maeva with her elbow. "See? We get one more night out of the rain, and on a real bed."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by ffilz »

Hermundr will follow. I look forward to knocking back a good ale to calm my jangling head.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by Eris »

OOC: Once you finish up with your night in Berm and start out the next morning we'll be going to the next thread. We'll stay with this one until then.

"Oh, I suppose you'll get to hear all about the area if you ask nicely." Lars laughs and looks around at all of you as you walk toward the inn, "Just to let you know in advance, though, I'll want some gold to feed, water, and bed you for the night. Let's say 2 gold for the lot of you. That'll be two meals, a room with a lock and beds for the night, and as much ale as you care to drink. Not the best of ales I'll warn you, but what we all drink here in Berm."

The sign over the door says, Olsen's Inn and Tavern. Inside there is a large public room off ahead and extending to the right where several tables are scattered around. There is a long bar down one side of the room and a small stage at the back. Glancing to the left you see another opening to the "snug", a small private sitting room for more "refined" patrons who want to avoid the hoi polloi...empty at the moment. Next to the left side of the bar is an opening leading to stairs, presumably to rooms upstairs.

"My good wife, Cladie, will see to you while I deal with these barrels." Lars waves to the woman standing behind the bar, "Honey! We're got some guests for the night. Set them up with the big room, a meal and some ale while I see to settling the wine in the cellar. Oh, I said 2 gold for the lot."

"Welcome to Berm!" says Cladie with a smile, "Money first, and if you break it you bought it, understood?"

"Okay, then, food and drink now, or do you want to take your gear up to the room first?"
she asks as she takes the money and drops it into her pouch which she pulls from inside her dress and then puts back inside.

Looking around you see 3 patrons sitting at one of the tables with mugs of ale in front them, it's a little early for the evening crowd. There is a young halfling woman carrying a tray of mugs to another table where two older men are sitting playing a card game that looks like pinochle to you.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#38 Post by bobk2323 »

Eris wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:26 am The short bald headed human man steps over to the group and says with a grin, "Aye, I can do rooms and we have a good local ale here. These barrels are filled with wine, we don't make that here up here in Berm."

"Come with us over to my Inn and I'll get you folks fixed up."
"Thank you." Maeva gives him a polite smile.
Lars and the other locals put the barrels and crates on wheeled dollies and begin pulling them toward the buildings in the village, "So, you're headed for Old Bridge, ah? I heard they're having a Goblin problem up there. Oh, and about maps, don't know if you can find an actual map here, but we can give you directions to follow on the river road, sure enough."
She nods, and follows along with the others for now.

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.

bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#39 Post by bobk2323 »

joertexas wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:53 pm
Aislin follows, but she drifts over and nudges Maeva with her elbow. "See? We get one more night out of the rain, and on a real bed."
She shoots Aislin a big grin. "I am *definitely* looking forward to that!"

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.

bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#40 Post by bobk2323 »

ffilz wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:52 pm Hermundr will follow. I look forward to knocking back a good ale to calm my jangling head.
"I think I'll try their ale too," Maeva says as she fastidiously tries to neaten up her somewhat tousled hair. "Local brews are often quite tasty."

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.

Return to “Nentir Vale Adventures (SFA/TD Hack)”