Quest #1 - The Search for Fonkin

Nemesis
archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Quest #1 - The Search for Fonkin

#361 Post by archolewa »

Richard

Richard's vision blurred for a moment. He took a few shallow breaths, and pressed his hand against his wound. "And who demands our surrender? You speak as if righteous, but only knaves and orckin ambush innocent travelers in the dark."

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#362 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Gurkidd

Struggles to find something in the bushes. Thrashing at the bushes where he thought he saw Cameron get kidnapped.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#363 Post by Eris »

Quinn stands ready, but doesn't do anything yet. He's awaiting the answer to Richard's question...and a clear target.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#364 Post by Nemesis »

The party heard the sound of footsteps crackle on the ground as one of the cloaked figures emerged from the darkness. The person looked up and removed the hood, revealing a man with short hair and a small scar on his face.

You recognize him; he was the one who ran from Fonkin's apartment. The kerfuffle seemed like ages ago.

"Good to see you again, lads," he said. "Seems like we got off on the wrong foot last time, don't you think?"

He shot you all a wry smile.

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#365 Post by archolewa »

Richard

"Knaves then." Richard's eyes narrowed. "Where is our companion, and why haven't you killed us yet?"

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#366 Post by Eris »

Quinn is still looking around, but is standing still. He's looking for a cluster of opponents where the Sleep spell would take down several at once. He's also listening...let Richard do the talking.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#367 Post by Nemesis »

"Oh, Fonkin? We heard rumors he went to Llancrest Wood, and I sent a few guys to the ruins to look for him," he said. "Unfortunately for me, I lost a few guys to whatever was down there. Fortunately for me, when we left to regroup, a scout reported seeing you lot down the road. He stuck around, watching you try and fail to make it far into the dungeon before you all headed back to Dale with your tails in between in your legs."

The party heard muffled chuckling from the wood. Richard asked why they hadn't killed the party.

"Kill you? Quite the opposite. I'm conscripting under my employment to return to the ruins and look for Fonkin. And, if you do find him, you'll bring him straight to me."

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#368 Post by archolewa »

Richard

"Not Fonkin. The guy on watch," said Richard. He took a shallow breath and pressed his hand against his wound. "The guy you dragged into the bushes. And as for doing your dirty work, appealing as it sounds, we're obviously in no condition to head back down there at the moment."

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#369 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Gurkidd

We did not see any indication that your men were in the dungeon. Where is our companion Cameron?

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#370 Post by Eris »

Quinn is still biding his time...
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#371 Post by Nemesis »

"I sent three boys down into that dungeon, and they never came out," the man said. "Someone or something took them."

Gurkidd asked about Cameron.

"Oh, don't worry. I have him right here."

He whistled, and two cloaked thugs emerged from the brush, dragging an unconscious Cameron across the ground.

"Here he is, sleeping peacefully... for now."

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#372 Post by archolewa »

Richard

Richard sighed in relief. "Well, we aren't exactly rolling in options here. But we're going to need some time to rest before we can go back in there. Try to send us in there now, and you might as well just run us through. Be faster and easier."

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#373 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Gurkidd

If you had a healing brew or scroll we might be able to restore Richard and Cameron back to health and at least attempt to find Fonkin but in our weakened state, you might as well execute us now. It would also be great if you had one or two more volunteers to assist us with the search.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#374 Post by Eris »

Quinn still ready to go with a Sleep spell if he thinks he can get them bunched up, but not making a move to show it yet, finally speaks up.

"Healing for Richard, first. Bring him up to full strength and give us a good night's sleep and we might take you up on your request for our help.", Quinn says, adding, "And the payment we were originally offered to find Fonkin once we do would go a long way to making us your allies, rather than something else."

"Knowing who the hell you are and who you work for would go a long way in that direction, too." Quinn comments dryly.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#375 Post by Nemesis »

The man scoffed.

"I'm not executing no one," he said. "Let's just say that I'm conscripting you to my cause.

"Here's my offer: I'll 'loan' you some medical supplies and give you the night to rest. You should be good in the morning. However, you won't be alone."

He whistled. "Miranda! You're up!"

A thin, cloaked figure approached the fire and removed her hood, revealing a young woman with jet black hair, armed with a bow and a short sword.

"She'll be going with you," the man said.

He thumbed at Cameron.

"I'll keep him, to ensure you hold up your end of the deal. If she dies, he dies. If you don't return with Fonkin, he dies. If you try any funny business, he dies. Do I make myself clear?"

"Knowing who the hell you are and who you work for would go a long way in that direction, too," Quinn said dryly.

"Bring back Fonkin alive, and I'll take you to my boss," the man said. "The boss isn't someone to be trifled with, and I'll leave it at that."

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#376 Post by archolewa »

Nemesis wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:52 pm The man scoffed.

"I'm not executing no one," he said. "Let's just say that I'm conscripting you to my cause.
"Aye, with execution the price of refusal I'm sure." Richard sighed. "Fine. Better to face orckin with a blade in hand tomorrow, than a knave on my knees tonight."

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#377 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Gurkidd

To the Capo or whatever he is...

You leave us little choice. What medical supplies do you have so I can administer them to Richard and let the work for as long as possible?

He eyes Miranda trying to see if he can glean whether she is a willing participant or if she too is being pressed into the service of this unknown thug.

To his compatriots: What choice do we have? I agree with Richard and would prefer dying honorably below than here at the hands of this miscreant.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#378 Post by Eris »

"Not a real choice. So, yeah we'll find Fonkin for you." Quinn shrugs, "And we're still going to want to get paid for finding him. I'm not in this as a charity."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#379 Post by Nemesis »

The man considers Richard's injuries and the party's needs for supplies.

"Very well," he said. "I will provide some necessary rations and medicine to aid you with the job."

He whistles. A short man with a large duffel bag emerged from the brush. He motioned Miranda. She approached, and he handed her the following:

- 5 potions of healing

- 1 week worth of dried meat and cheeses (it's not the best quality, but it will settle the stomach)

- 3 short torches

- Some food for the mule

- A couple of canteens of water

- Medicine for burns, rashes, and other minor ailments.

"Once you've found Fonkin, Miranda will know where to go. We'll be waiting," the man said. "I'll warn you again: Don't double-cross us."

And, with that, the man and his cadre disappeared into the wood.

Miranda approached the party with the supplies.

"He's not usually this generous," she said. "Seems you lot got lucky."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#380 Post by Eris »

"Yeah, lucky us!" says Quinn, "So, Miranda, eh? What's this all about, then?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Chronicles from the Vale (Basic Fantasy)”