Barrow Mounds: Relic Raiders return.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Barrow Mounds: Relic Raiders return.

#21 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Seeing Sidkrake dismounted and Gunter under threat, he is torn between who to aid.

Sidkrake (via the GM) might remember he has been blessed with a spider tattoo that enables him to cast Spider Climb, which might enable him to run to the central Herne statue and climb that away from the Undead buffalo herd.

So figuring on Sid's sensibilities, I will ride across to Gunter, casting Sanctuary upon my own horse.

Once close enough I will invoke a Turn Undead attempt to drive the demonic horse away

Golgarth: Turn Undead [1d20]=13 number turned [1d12]=1 rounds turned [3d4]=8

and if that fails, cast a Light spell upon the Nightmare.

At least the Wight rider is deceased, good shooting Gunter. I think once the demonic horse is dealt with, the undead herd might hopefully just go to grazing and stop the rampaging. Then we can reform with Dalin and Froed.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Spearmint »

Assault on the Herne Shrine.

Stampeding buffaloes: [1d20]=15[1d20]=16[1d20]=7[1d20]=1[1d20]=6[1d20]=5

Wise words from Golgarth enable the unhorsed mercenary Sidkrake forego more matador flourishing and head quickly up the figurehead statue of Herne taking refuge within the antlers as the undead buffaloes rear up, head butt and charge about.

A few more chase still on the heels of Dalin and Froed, relentless at least a mile across the Moor until reaching the ditches that mark the trail that leads West. The buffaloes cease their charge, disorientated and for these six, separated from the original herd. The two dwarves, in faster horses can u-turn along the road and then double back towards the Herne Shrine, meeting Solly on the way who has fulfilled his obligation to halt or warn any pilgrims or explorers of the danger ahead. Whilst the villagers determine to find a Helixian patrol, the three of you can ride back to the Shrine and support the trio engaged there.

Golgarth and Gunter try to drive away the dread Nightmare beast. The cleric rides to his warrior friend's aid, Gunter beset and while trying to control a panicked horse, cannot lock and load a two-handed crossbow. Switching then to the lance, putting the recent martial training with the Duke's Sheriff to good order. But the Nightmare is quick and pounds upon his steed, -7hp, -9hp bringing the horse down and causing Gunter to be dismounted.

Nightmare bucks: fangs [1d20]=9[2d4]=4 Hooves trample [1d20]=17[2d4+2]=5+2=7 [1d20]=15[2d4+2]=7+2=9

Nightmare: 13+ saving throws vs Sanctuary [1d20]=10 vs Light [1d20]=3 Stampeding buffaloes: 16+ saves vs Sanctuary [1d20]=12[1d20]=3[1d20]=1[1d20]=1[1d20]=14[1d20]=5

Saved by divine blessings, Golgarth's horse is warded from harm and he can ride among the zombie buffaloe herd. Attempting to Turn Undead is ineffective vs the Nightmare and breaks the Sanctuary but the short hiatus gives time for Gunter to mount behind you and after your Light spell blinds the creature, it takes to the air in a billow of wrathful snorting and fiery hooves.

The Undead Buffaloes take a while to calm and be corralled. Each horse rider can strike some firebrands and herd them out of the ring and into the misty moor. Two of your horses trampled to death, the Wight-rider deceased, the Nightmare driven away.

Actions as you consolidate at the Shrine please.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Gunter frowns down as his recently deceased mount.

“Well I guess I was meant to stay in the infantry after all.”

He hands Golgarth his lance to carry and does his best to collect the silver tipped arrows from the fallen Wight rider. While there he carefully searches the creature for any items of interest.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#24 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin unsure of what to do shrugs about the dead steeds "Not much we can do about them sadly, we either press on or turn back at this point." the dwarf acts as a look out while the creature is searched not wanting to touch the undead/demonic thing.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Spearmint »

Gunter can at least equip the Wight's whip. The weapon has a 20'ft reach, cracking with a sharp snap and held in his hands, the leathery cords ignite with fiery tongues of flame and sting with a sharp blast. A devilish instrument.

There is nothing on the Barrow Wight that identifies him or gives any background to his unholy herding of the Undead Buffaloes. An acolyte or underling of some greater purpose. That thwarted now though the zombiefied buffalos still mill upon the Barrow Moor, risen from their earthly graves to wander in a constant state of rage and hunger.

There have been rumours of increased 'necrotic' activity, not just random occurrences of undead wanderers lurching out of the Barrow Mounds, but a more coordinated series of encounters. An undead Satyr piping a flock of gehennian goats in the western forests; a Pisco-daemon riding giant elemental scarabs; the recent capture and execution of Nergalite cultists in Helix.

The trampled horses are left where they fell. Once more the vultures return, a meal in the offering once you depart from the Shrine. You can unequip the saddles and attached gear, sharing the loads with those mounted.

Once Golgarth has completed any ritual or devotion, you can continue the expedition progress in a direction of choice, the Barrow Mounds is the current focus
Attachments
whip-fire.gif
whip-fire.gif (565.46 KiB) Viewed 659 times

GreyWolfVT

#26 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin "Well that was certainly something new. I haven't experienced that before. But now I have." the dwarf comments on the recent event.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Stonefather, do you detect any evil on this whip or is it just magical?

If the whip is not detectibly evil Gunter takes some practice snaps to get used to the weapon then coils it and folds it into his belt so the handle is within easy grasp.

He helps redistribute the gear amongst the remaining horses then readies his crossbow before heading off towards the barrowmaze on foot.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

You know with the recent increase in 'undead' activity and this being a coordinated attack, I wonder if we are best served by reporting it to Duchy authorities and the Chapel hierarchy. Maybe even driving a couple of zombie buffaloes into the village centre as proof. We can take the Wight's body. A full body, not just an organ. I hear the village mage conducts research to create anti-undead potions. So he can put the body to good use if not give the soul a proper burial after examinations have taken place.

I am thinking here that I have reasonable relations with the Old Manse as I am undertaking the Cistern project and Gunter, having been given some kind of NCO status as a lance corporal by the Sheriff of Ironguard, then our testimony might stand us in good stead.

The other consideration (and this is ooc) is that Dalin suggested following up his Bjornark visit and I note another group plan on doing that. Technically they would leave Helix this same day, so if we do return, while I don't want to cut short any trek, it could leave opportunity for Dalin to fulfill that desire and we can trust to carry on exploring or even find the report and evidence get us commissioned to a more specific task.

Hope that doesn't sound too confused. But I think logically, Golgarth wouldn't just dismiss the buffaloes and Wight event with considering any wider ramifications.

I can cast 'Detect Evil' on the whip for Gunter.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Spearmint »

okay, let me take this forward.

There is no apparent evil taint on the whip. It has an enchanted fiery augmentation but is not by itself an evil entity.

The body of the Wight can be bagged up and covered, taken to either the Duchy militia barracks for the inspection of the Guard Captains or to the Chapel or to Mazzah the mage in his tower.

If you return to Helix, I will tote up the minor expedition award but leave the thread open. I know Dalin (GreywolfIV expressed an original desire to seek out Bjornark and as pointed out, a quest undertaking that is just about to start. Which Dalin could opt into and subject to chapel / Old Manse reports, others can follow up the Wight and other Undead occurrences.

I will update here shortly.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Spearmint »

Literally three hours after breakfast, the group trek back into Helix, the riders doubled mounted to cater for the lost horses and between them driving a couple of the zombiefied buffaloes, living carcasses back with them as proof of the Undead herd stampeding under the impulse of the Wight. Its body wrapped for inspection by authorities.

Your arrival causes a stir and the beasts are quarantined, the body taken initially into the Chapel mortuary cellar.

Expedition Summary

For slaying the Wight and driving away the Nightmare steed abd bringing an undead Buffalo specimen into town to substantiate the reports, the team get: 962 xp / three full and three half shares.

Thus: 214xp (Dalin earns +10% from prime requisite bonus as well, so 235xp) per full share.

Plus each expedition participant, however short or long earns players an extra +100xp.

Golgarth: +314xp
Gunter: +314xp
Dalin: +335xp

I have adjusted your xp record in the public thread, please adjust upon your character sheets.

Actions, make any relevant post in a settlement: Helix location thread to report your findings and possibly join / create new expedition options.

Actions, any last comments here regarding this short trek.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Stonefather, I have a token from Lord Kothos that may help us get an audience." He holds up the Silver Spur the Lord gave him for his performance outside the Brazen Strumpet some weeks ago.

"Lets take the Wight to the mage, if he's offering coin my pockets are a bit threadbare at the moment and I have a mount to replace."

xp updated - 4318/6001

Gunter will follow Golgarth's lead on where to go next, oathbound to Cromm to try and keep the priest out of trouble and provide a shield when he inevitably fails to do so.

Can you send me the specs on the whip and I'll add it to my Character sheet

GreyWolfVT

#32 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin agrees "Very well. But why would a mage be interested in an undead creature I though that mostly would be the priests interests."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

sorry guys I was slow posting due to being absent from keyboard for personal reasons.

The cleric will report to the chapel and the Duchy authority at the Old Manse. I will post in that thread. I think it a goid move even if shortening this 'relic raiding', I don't mind any coin or reward as I am broke financially too.

There certainly are many 'cross-threads' in the game which a character on his own may only know a part of. The plot-hooks with the pestilence cult and the tree-man or all of these Undead attsckd that I agree, must have a common root cause.

So lets see where these go. I hope personally to get to the Barrow Mounds in some way.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Spearmint »

Great. I will halt here as you return temporarily to Helix and continue if and when next expeditions are agreed.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”