Barrowmaze: Repatriating the Red Lion of Aerik

Spearmint
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrowmaze: Repatriating the Red Lion of Aerik

#541 Post by Spearmint »

Some house keeping notes. See post #367 too.

The Mummy has a signet ring. It is inscribed with Templar designs and indicates him to be a member of a Ygg militant order, which confirms his dying breath revelations of involvement with Sir Guy O'Veargne. Fragments of burned and ashen cloth with sewn insignia can be assessed and you can give a speculative guess he might be of 'the House of Pelinor', a minor noble family in the Aerik dynasties. detects as enchanted,

The skull made from glass is an interesting item. It has two horns protruding from its forehead which flick back and forth in a singular on/off position. Inside the interior cavity are grainy crushed crystals which Fydmar from his Construct rebuild can identify as typical geode formations. Which suggest it has a working purpose though the remaining grains of dulled gemstone flakes are inert. from the Margoyle statue. Actually fuelled up with geode crystals, the moveable horns turn the skull on to illuminate as a lantern or to shine two cones of light through the eye sockets and act as a bullseye lanthorn. 1gp of crushed crystal activates a four hour period of illumination, like a typical flask of oil might.

The Chainmail shirt taken from a coffin also pings enchantment, to a similar degree as the Mummy's ring.

The two Ioun stones can be activated and after assessing their traits, you figure that each affects a character's base attributes, the pink rhomboid shaped boosting overall health and stamina via a +1 Con boon and the pink and green speckled spherical stone improving a character's persona and first impressions via a +1 bonus to Charisma.
Ioun stones random: [1d14]=6 [1d14]=5

The Medicinal Skeleton was detailed prior. If studied, (via character skill upgrade) it will enhance a character's Medic checks and give a bonus to 1st Aid applications.

Neshralk enchantment: vs 10% [1d100]=10 [1d100]=63 [1d100]=28 While two of the Neshralk burial figures are inert and quite normal, one is enchanted and upon speaking the trigger or command word inscribed upon its feet, the figure animates as a little Duchy guardsman who points a crossbow at a random figure. "Just give the signal to loose Capt' and I'll nail this bigwig right in the ghoulies for yer!" the miniature figure insists, bravado belittling his miniature few inch stature.

Genaromes scours the spellbook:
Sage's spellbook: 1st level [1d30]=27 [1d30]=18 2nd [1d24]=20 It contains three spells, Floating Disc, Message (both 1st level) & Shatter (2nd level).

I will add an update to summarise the expedition so far and then go forward with next exploration decisions.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#542 Post by Spearmint »

So just to bring you guys in line with other players, I will summarise the Experience Awards so far and you can gain the benefit of these after the night's rest.

Encounters

Pteranodons: 785xp
Giant Python: 465xp
Harpy & giant vulture cohort: 265xp
Barrow Ghouls: 425xp
Juju Zombies: 320xp
Orcus Cultists: 500xp
Gargoyle Imps: 300xp
Paladin Mummy: 1390xp
Harpy crone: 90xp

Total xp: 4540xp plus exploration bonus 10% = 4994xp / 6 character shares, 3 npc shares.

Awarded amount (+666xp) subject to +10% prime requisite bonus and then a Player participation bonus if +100xp.

Final totals for expedition so far:

Durgo: +832xp
Fydmar: +832xp
Bro Symeon: +832xp
Genaromes: +766xp
Bhelnus: +832xp
Wrathbone: +766xp

Yngvar: +333xp
Rickford: +333xp
Duvall: +333xp

I have updated the public threads. Please adjust your own sheets accordingly.
Last edited by Spearmint on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#543 Post by Straither »

Wrathbone

Experience points added. Appreciate it now.

"If the chainmail shirt is magical, it may help Fydmar most as his rogue nature usually only takes the field in lighter, leather armour. If it doesn't penalise his skill checks, then that would improve him most."

He offers a suggestion. His Constitution is quite high compared to others (16) and would not feel the need to improve Charisma anyway, even if it is a lowly (7), so won't 'bid' for any use of Ioun stones. Sane with the signet ring. Give it to Durgo and turn it over to next of kin for a suitable reward once we get back to civilization.

Who has triggered the Neshralk? He would poke a finger at the animated waxwork figure and threaten to torch his backside if he aims at me.

I don't mind lugging the Medicinal Skeleton about if it can be folded into my backpack. I don't think a full set of bones weigh so much as to encumber me.

Once the gear is investigated, he concentrates on the metal door that the cultists went through and stands guarding that area while we are in transition.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#544 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Experience points added to Durgo...thanks.

I agree with Wrathbones assessment of the gear. Durgo would like to take the signet ring and Fragment of cloth back to St. Ygg and possibly the family to give closure to the family. The other items the others can chose.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#545 Post by kwll »

XP added to character sheet

Genaromes duly notes the nature of the spells, that he will be able to transcribe to his own book later. In the meantime, he is still very much interested in the door decoration he is examining.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#546 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Bhelnus

XP updated on character sheet, thank you!

Like my fellow Wrathbone I doubt those stones will do me much good. I hope there might be others in our party who can benefit from them. If Fydmar cannot wear the Chain shirt, it is probably an upgrade to what I am wearing but may require some alterations at the Axe and Anvil. Should we continue

Are we picking up here at the door exiting from the crypts area as shown in post 535?

I think those cultists are powerful and plentiful. If we head east, we need to be prepared for them. If we head West, we follow what we think is the direction of Sir Guy. I say we head west and leave the cultists for our next visit.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#547 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
I think Behlnus would be the best bet for the chain shirt.
Wrathbone, perhaps Greybeard's axe would be good for you if you are comfortable with such a weapon. It is silvered and strikes true most often if thrown. It would make sense if we had another strong hand able to strike some of the foul things down here. What say you?
The skull seems to be more of a multi-lantern than something we could use as a template for the mechanical golem as I first thought. I still wouldn't mind having it, but if anyone else wants it, my feelings won't be hurt.
The ioun stones are interesting, but I'm sure better suited to someone other than I.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#548 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo says lightly, "West should be our path my friends and out priority. Make use of the items if you can or hold them for later once back at Helix. Let's be moving in marching order.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#549 Post by Spearmint »

Pressing on:

In response to Fydmar's offer, please acknowledge and adjust any sheets with gear and exchanges.

The corridors are silent and your exploration is not interrupted.
Looking north, the way narrows into a single file passage, a half sized corridor, dark and webbed. To the south is a door set in the wall. Unlike other crypt doors, this is burnished bronze and wrought steel. Embossed upon the front is a large grinning skull.
Those by the huge metal door listen intently and check the portal out. Despite its fearsome inscriptions and evil aura, it has no power other than to impress the more feebleminded. Stout adventurers stand before it and investigate. The wrought door looks built for security, keeping intruders out (or other beings in?). It has no lock in any panel but feels securely shut. Barred from the inside? The narrow passage with the webs looks ominous but no spiders seem to lurk about. At least not in the first twenty feet of passage that heads northwards before it turns to the right. The webs are dewwy rather than dry, but not too sticky, you can move them aside with your hands without getting stuck in the strands. Certainly from the dried blood and footprints, you think some of the fleeing cultists came this way as well as going through the metal door. Importantly, no one, spider or cultist comes out of either direction and with decisions made to 'go West', the group decide the cultists are less of a priority at this time.

Going West: there is an adjoining passage from the South that forms as a SW running diagonal corridor that must sixty feet in length. Halfway down is a crypt door set into a side wall. Further west, the corridor adds more options for exploring with more doors and adjoining passages adding to the labyrinth feel.

Barrow Maze random vs 1: passages [1d6]=6 crypts [1d6]=5

"A walk in the park." says Yngvar at the rear, commenting on the dead quiet. His mastiff Brutus gnaws a bone, the mercenaries alert for surprises.

The flagstone corridors only echo with your own footsteps. A brief exploration gives the following map:

next actions please

Attachments
Screenshot_2024-03-03-22-44-38-104~2.jpg
Screenshot_2024-03-03-22-44-38-104~2.jpg (143.9 KiB) Viewed 212 times

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#550 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo says, "I'd like to take the first southward passage that angles southwest and check it for Sir Guy's remains. We can check around that area first before going further west or north."

Durgo helps where needed and makes sure nothing got left behind of the gear if it wasn't already taken by others.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#551 Post by kwll »

Genaromes nods at Durgo, while trying to figure out how he will draw the labyrinthine tunnels on his map.

Added the spell 3-spells spell book to his backpack.
Last edited by kwll on Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#552 Post by scottjen »

In response to Fydmar's offer, please acknowledge and adjust any sheets with gear and exchanges.

On this note, Fydmar gave an item to Brother Symeon quite some time back, but I believe was acknowledged in PM. Just wanted to make sure that was communicated to the DM.

The corridors are silent and your exploration is not interrupted.
Looking north, the way narrows into a single file passage, a half sized corridor, dark and webbed. To the south is a door set in the wall. Unlike other crypt doors, this is burnished bronze and wrought steel. Embossed upon the front is a large grinning skull.
Is this south door the 1st one off the 2nd south branching corridor?

Those by the huge metal door listen intently and check the portal out. Despite its fearsome inscriptions and evil aura, it has no power other than to impress the more feebleminded. Stout adventurers stand before it and investigate. The wrought door looks built for security, keeping intruders out (or other beings in?). It has no lock in any panel but feels securely shut. Barred from the inside? The narrow passage with the webs looks ominous but no spiders seem to lurk about. At least not in the first twenty feet of passage that heads northwards before it turns to the right. The webs are dewwy rather than dry, but not too sticky, you can move them aside with your hands without getting stuck in the strands. Certainly from the dried blood and footprints, you think some of the fleeing cultists came this way as well as going through the metal door. Importantly, no one, spider or cultist comes out of either direction and with decisions made to 'go West', the group decide the cultists are less of a priority at this time.

Going West: there is an adjoining passage from the South that forms as a SW running diagonal corridor that must sixty feet in length. Halfway down is a crypt door set into a side wall. Further west, the corridor adds more options for exploring with more doors and adjoining passages adding to the labyrinth feel.

I agree with Durgo that this southwest corridor should be the first explored. I'll have a look.
He will sneak down the passageway as stealthily as possible. Barring anyone else showing an interest, he will take the "skull lamp"
Rolls as necessary:
Thief skills [1d100]=44, [1d100]=10

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#553 Post by Straither »

Wrathbone
While two of the Neshralk burial figures are inert and quite normal, one is enchanted and upon speaking the trigger or command word inscribed upon its feet, the figure animates as a little Duchy guardsman who points a crossbow at a random figure. "Just give the signal to loose Capt' and I'll nail this bigwig right in the ghoulies for yer!" the miniature figure insists, bravado belittling his miniature few inch stature.
If no one owns up to triggering this little waxwork figure, Wrathbone might be interested in it. What is it? I have never seen such before. If it is wax, when it turns into the guardsman, does it take physical, flesh and blood form or still made of wax? Having been hit by those coffer imps with blowdarts, I am wary this miniature man might also have more exotic powers. I will talk to it and ask who he is and what he does.

Exploring: I will support the others who sneak around the passages, stationing myself at the top of the diagonal corridor where it joins the left-right passage.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#554 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Bhelnus

Having donned the chain shirt feels lighter and more protected albeit with some loose hems and sleeves which need to be rolled up for his dwarven arms. But these are acceptable for now and fixable if he can ever make back to the Axe and Anvil. Because he is a dwarf, he rolls up his old chain shirt and stuffs it into his backpack he does not want to just leave it in the barrow.

With his crossbow drawn and with a bolt ready to go he too stands guard at the intersection of the halls with Wrathbone while Fydmar and Durgo explore south.

Updated AC and inventory sheet

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#555 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo will move along in marching order and assit Fydmar as best he can.

Durgo signals the others to stay alert and watch our rear.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#556 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring beyond the Harpy Halls:

The main action has been for Fydmar to tempt the lock of the first door noted in the diagonal corridor.

The door opens under his steady hand. Inside is a room that is twenty feet wide (it would be 20x30 with the diagonal side cutting a portion off). Directly opposite is another door. In the middle of the room is a small Obelisk, about shoulder high and having sides inscribed in runes of an obscure nature., certainly not a language any recognise.

Nothing disturbs you in the corridors.

The other door is closed.
Attachments
s-l1200.jpg
s-l1200.jpg (50.98 KiB) Viewed 133 times

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#557 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo grunts softly, "Ugh..More runes...Perhaps the mystical types might know what this is? Something about the room size doesn't match up. Let's be cautious here with sorting this room out. There is more than what meets the eye here though I suspect. Let's have the mystics look it over and some of you dwarves for the stonework and room dimensions seem off. Perhaps a hidden area. Remember that not all is what it seems since we mistaken the warrior as a mummy."

Durgo yields room for others to take a look from the doorway.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#558 Post by kwll »

Putting back his parchment and quill in his bag for a while, Genaromes enters dilligently and starts studying the obelisk, trying to understand if it has magical properties and its purpose.

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#559 Post by Straither »

Wrathbone

As others file into the Obelisk room, I will patrol the outside corridor, going SW down the diagonal passage to the next door or adjoining passage.

If he needs a Wisdom or attribute check, here is one.
Wrathbone: random skill check [4d6]=8

If he needs any attack rolls if surprised or spots any wandering ghouls,

Wrathbone: Halberd [1d20]=14 damage [1d10]=4
As no one else expressed interest, I noted the waxwork figure on my sheet. Any news on what it may do apart from melt and threaten to shoot someone?

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#560 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Durgo, I take what you mean is there must be another room, likely attaching to this one and the corridor on the other side? Or was it something else? Do we go further "west" or try the diagonal? I don't much like the look of this room myself. Perhaps the mage can figure something. He will wait to see if he is needed, and if not, he will keep an eye on the corridor.
I'm thinking the double door to the west as worth checking for our target tomb.

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”