Barrowmaze: Repatriating the Red Lion of Aerik

Spearmint
DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

Re: Barrowmaze: Repatriating the Red Lion of Aerik

#521 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

I believe that Wrathbone has the right of it. It would be best to face this sorceress had on. I have a duty to St Ygg to destroy what Undead I can and would gladly assume the risk of marching first.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#522 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo tosses the gem to the harpy to keep his bargain and word. 25 gp gem removed. He makes notes of the information she provided after she leaves.

Durgo listens to the others and says, "Our first mission is that of Sir Guy my friends. Let's focus on that task first. Before we continue looking for Sir Guy, we might want to review the items found in the room with the curtains. Let's do that first.

Then check those northern rooms once more to be sure we didn't miss any loot before we head all the way north and then go west.

I'd also recommend getting prepared for ghouls regardless.

Perhaps we can cover the maiden in glass with a blanket without looking and then take it back to Helix. This would be a strenuous task, but it might be worth it.

I'd like to secure all the rooms or mark them, so we know if they've been tampered with on our way back through.

We know the cultist fled east from the north door so they might come back later on too.

There is the snake room we avoided altogether. There may be some items of interest in there.

I'd say after that we head out the north door and then go west. Thoughts? Brother Symeon and Wrathbone perhaps a return quest to deal with the sorceress of undead?"
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#523 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Durgo, I like your idea of setting something in place to see if has been tampered with. Perhaps a bit of wax and tiny strip of parchment on the bottom of the portals?
Once everyone is ready, I can range ahead. Any quiet folk are welcome to join me of course.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#524 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Sure Fydmar but let us settle the other things first. Double check the items recovered if we skip the other stuff, we can come back to it no problem. I at least want to go over the items we recovered by Brother Symeon and the wizards to see if there are things we need to consider first."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#525 Post by Spearmint »

The Harpy Shaft

The Harpy takes the gemstone from the hand of Durgo, snatching it up and quickly flying up the shaft in case a volley if threatened arrows or bolts come to pin her down. She flies up the shaft accompanied by a cohort of giant vultures.

Harpy pushes stone over shaft: 15 str vs [4d6]=16 [1d20]=18 [3d6]=13

You have two long ropes still fixed to a tall, heavy stone that balances precariously on the edge of the shaft lip. After she flies up, the ropes are untied and flung down to land clattering at your feet. It is a warning from the retreating crone and dodging out the way, you guys escape the large stone she pushes over the edge to smash into the rubble at the bottom. She and her vultures fly away into the dark and misty sky above.

The group, interrupted in their night watch by her intrusion go back to resting the last few pre-dawn hours. Once woken and breakfasted, meditations and studies concluded, the group head back through the explored halls to the barred 'Gargoyle' room.
Perhaps we can cover the maiden in glass with a blanket without looking and then take it back to Helix. This would be a strenuous task, but it might be worth it.
This can be done if it hasn't been actioned before.
I'd like to secure all the rooms or mark them, so we know if they've been tampered with on our way back through.
You can set a tell-tale strip on each door if you wish.
she smiles at this, as you have already passed the secret Orcus solace several times.
this is cryptic. You search a few walls and into the crypts accessed before but no one finds any secret niches or entrances.

Unless you want to specifically action exploring a crypt in the Harpy Halls ('I go into the snake crypt' for example), I will pick up the exploration from the stated actions discussed.

July 12th 1066.

Early morning after breakfast. Fydmar leads the way, having secured the area behind you. Stepping out into the corridor, it is eerie, fetid and damp. A rat scuttles out of sight, nothing else stirs. The passage leads east or west. Checking the route the fleeing cultists took, you go east where the corridor forms a north-south T-junction. Looking north, the way narrows into a single file passage, a half sized corridor, dark and webbed. To the south is a door set in the wall. Unlike other crypt doors, this is burnished bronze and wrought steel. Embossed upon the front is a large grinning skull.

Looking to the passage westwards, an adjoining passage seems to go back towards the Harpy shaft area. You might remember that a fleeing ghoul ran up a passage which tallies approximately with the end of this one. No telling if rooms connect in-between unless you explore down it. The passage continues past this adjoining corridor.

actions please

Attachments
Screenshot_2024-02-09-02-49-30-547~3.jpg
Screenshot_2024-02-09-02-49-30-547~3.jpg (119.12 KiB) Viewed 274 times

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#526 Post by kwll »

Genaromes approaches the bronze embossed skull figure, trying to figure if it (or the overall door) has magical properties.

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#527 Post by Straither »

Wrathbone

He will help check the door out. Seems quite a vault, reinforced, solid.

"Don't touch it just yet. It might be trapped or have some enchantment or alarm upon it."

I would be convinced the cultists came this way not through the narrower and webbed passage at the top.

If they are inside and don't want to come out, we could just as well ignore them and keep to 'the Plan'.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#528 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Will set up his strips on the doors that go to places they haven't yet been, and the maiden door.
I still say west but if you are worried about cultists at our back, I'll check east first. Before we get started, perhaps I ought to climb up the hole and secure another couple ropes...on different sides of the hole.
I have a memory of the cultists fleeing up the north side of that east passage - am I misremembering?

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#529 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo still mentally distraught slightly over killing one of Sir Guy's expedition crew, will have to remember to ask the church for forgiveness on his return to Helix.

He is unsure why the group doesn't seem to care about his request to go over the loot they obtain so far.

"I wonder if the Orcus thing is related to the southern door", Durgo comments. Maby it is in the room with curtains, the harpy lair or shaft or the item on the wall with the glass coffer and girl. Something not obvious. Could it be on the ceiling or floor covered in some way?"

"Seems like everyone just want to move on. I should point out that we sometimes need to evaluate existing things thoroughly before going forward. So be it. Thanks, Fydmar for securing things behind us."

"I believe our expedition was to find Sir Guy's remains and our holy item trinket indicated to the west."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#530 Post by Spearmint »

He is unsure why the group doesn't seem to care about his request to go over the loot they obtain so far.
perhaps you could list the loot and highlight which particular ones you would like to know more about.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#531 Post by BaltoBruiser »

I am really bogged down at work but have a listing of things we have collected so far which I will post tomorrow if that helps.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#532 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Here is a spreadsheet I have kept:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

It is not incredibly detailed but it references the post where SM described the items found. I also do not think we did much in the way of search of the alcoves in the curtain room which I think goes back to post #214. Let me know if you have any issues with the accessing the google sheet or think I missed anything.

As a separate question, did Bhelnus recover 1 HP of health overnight or due to the interruption by the Harpy did that not happen?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#533 Post by Spearmint »

As a separate question, did Bhelnus recover 1 HP of health overnight or due to the interruption by the Harpy did that not happen?
HP is only recovered in a safe (and sterile) environment so not in dungeons or the wilderness camps unless you are in a fortified stronghold.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#534 Post by Cwreando »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:38 pm
perhaps you could list the loot and highlight which particular ones you would like to know more about.
Durgo gathers the others prior to heading north, "I'd like to have everyone take a look at these for to see if there is anything here we should consider before heading north. Pottery/Silverware, Glass Skull, Skull, Signet Ring from Mummy, 3 wax Neshralk (funeral figures), Chainmail and the 2 floating pebbles. Perhaps there is more here than meets the eye. We could certainly use any information that might help us to find Sir Guy or improve ourselves if they can be used safely.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#535 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Bhelnus

Durgo, perhaps it isn't a thing but a place that can help us. Didn't the Harpy reply to the question you asked:
The rooms with strange painting or glyphs and any secret rooms within the barrow. If you help us there can be possibilities of ensuring you can take care of your child. she smiles at this, as you have already passed the secret Orcus solace several times.
What area have we passed several times? And what is this Orcus Solace? Can it assist us in finding Sir Guy's remains which is our true aim of this adventure.

Also, we didn't spend much time examining the empty crypt where we found the 3 little figures nor did we look at the figures that closely. Maybe there is more to them or that room.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#536 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Already looked at the glass skull & Fydmar figured it might help with the golem so he said we was going to take it. No one commented about that so I figured it happened.
It would be nice to try to detect / divine the items and put some to use. I said as much when we found them but the party decided otherwise.

DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#537 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

As the party picks through the loot for clues or useful items, Symeon will further investigate the Signet Ring, trying to determine any significance or use.

[4d6]=19 vs 18 WIS

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#538 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo replies to everyone's concerns, "It's just something that's nagging at me to check some of the items. Bhelnus, I agree it maybe a place I just think we need to just make sure we aren't missing anything from the loot that might be a clue. The Harpy was a bit cryptic too in some parts of the conversation. Orcus solace doesn't sound real appealing. Fydmar the glass skull was not mentioned to be taken back, just to examine further and only in the fact that it might further yield clues to find Sir Guy. I wonder if the room to the south is this secret orcus solace? It could be the room where we found the hanging skeleton and ritual stuff. We may have missed something in that room. I am open to suggestions. My inclination at this point is to proceed west from the northern door and search the hallway that goes south. Once we are finished with the item investigations. Fydmar has the rooms set with clues for any tampering. Just remember we also have crypts to finish searching before we leave and the maiden in the glass coffer to take back to Helix. Once ready we move out. I can lead out unless Fydmar or any others wish to take the lead."

Durgo gets his gear sorted and assist the others as needed. Preps his blade and shield. Get's his lantern sorted and fueled if needed for all to see a bit better if it's too dark. If lighting is acceptable for humans, then he'll stow the lantern.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#539 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
I volunteer to be the guinea pig on any items our wiser friends deem worth testing. Keep in mind we dwarves have innate resistances to magic, though, so nothing may happen even with a magical item. If ye want to proceed with this; first I will hand out my X-bow, Axe, and healing potions just in case. Durgo, if it happens that I lose my mind or my life, I've got coins stashed in my room at the inn. See that they don't go to waste.

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#540 Post by Straither »

Wrathbone

"And you have the ancient Construct to rebuild completely too."

the player has been reading old adventures figuring that in-character you chat about previous experiences.
What area have we passed several times? And what is this Orcus Solace?
Sounds like a temple place. But not the chapel area the Harpy Queen nested in. Another we have walked by but not found? A secret door then?

While we wait he will check the walls in the Harpy shaft area for sincerity and hidden latches and (his present) action was checking at the metal door we think the Orcus cultists went through. maybe that is the Solace she refers to?

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”