#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

11.jpeg
11.jpeg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 2852 times
IMG_3381.jpeg
IMG_3381.jpeg (7.08 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
Mouse
Mouse.jpeg
Mouse.jpeg (59.12 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

This sturdy stone building has a faded space above the door where a sign likely once hung, but now all you see is a shingle with a pawnbrokers scale painted upon it. No plants, children, or decorations are seen outside the structure, and unlike many other residences, this is the least homey looking building of the Keep's interior.

The place looks dark and there never appears to be anyone at home.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: (11) Locksmith

#2 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

Gyb looks doubtfully at the building as he approaches. "Is it worth asking here?" he mumbles to himself. "Yes, or Gyb's bed will be the gutter tomorrow!"

Gyb raps on the door. "Hello! Sir? Gyb's been told you can help him with his money."
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

There is no answer at the door initially.

Then Gyb hears a bit of commotion coming from beyond, form somewhere deeper inside the building.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

It occurs to Gyb that maybe the Quartermaster might have been a better place to start. He's about to turn away when he hears the noise. A lot of fuss for a little money, he thinks. Ah! A little for most, but a fortune for poor old Gyb.

Gyb puts on the politest face he can assume and knocks again.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

It takes a few more knocks, but Gyb is eventually able to get an answer at the door.

Mouse.jpeg
Mouse.jpeg (59.12 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

A plain looking, unassuming halfling opens the heavy door with a blank expression on his dirty little face. He is dressed in a grease spotted apron and has a large ring of keys on his belt.

"Hello there, stranger. I am called Mouse. Locksmith and pawnbroker to the Keep. What can I do for you? Need a loan?"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

"Hello! Not a loan sir, no. I just have a problem with my money". Gyb holds out a handful of painted coins. "You see?"

"We went to the caves, killed some goblins and ran away from a troll. Then we chased some kobolds. We found some of this money.
Gyb knows it's not gold! Of course! But he forgot and showed it to Mr Wilf at the tavern."

"Wilf got very angry and called Gyb a thief. Only Loyn saved Gyb from the cells. Or worse! When Wilf calmed down, he said that Mouse would be the person to ask about cleaning coins."

"Sir, Mr Mouse. Can you help Gyb? It's not much money for the trouble it cost. But he'll be sleeping in the street soon without it".

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Initially taking Gyb for a beggar, the halfling called Mouse eventually comprehends his request.

"Ha! The Kobolds are painting copper coins gold again you say? That must only work on the dumbest monsters out there, eh? I can see why Wilf was upset, since this isn't the first time we have seen these here."

He flips one of the coins around in his fingers deftly. "Ya! I can help you get these cleaned off pretty easy. Since it's only copper, how about......one for you and one for me? How many of these do you have?"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

In his time as wanderer, Gyb long ago figured out that half a loaf is better than none. A deal! Yes, thank you."

"Seventy".
Gyb shows Mouse another handful of coins. "The kobolds were busy. There was a big pile of these. Hundreds." He sighs. "Gyb would have taken more if he'd known it was the only treasure he'd see. It cost him one javelin fighting goblins. We ran away from them and the troll".

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mouse smiles wide at the agreement, popping inside to grab a wire brush and a glass flask filled with some very smelly solvent. He pours a little bit of the liquid on a coin and starts rubbing with the brush, taking the kobold paint off in only a few seconds. He hands the tool to Gyb and shows him the process.

"Kobolds are bad enough.....but a TROLL? That is a BIG concern. Did you lose anyone? I have often thought about starting a group and heading there myself, but it all sounds so.......dangerous."

The halfling thinks about it a little longer, watching Gyb scrub. "Hundreds more you say, eh? Hmmmmmm......"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

"Hundreds, yes" Gyb repeats. He carries on talking as he scrubs, being no stranger to menial tasks.

"No, noone lost. Many injured. The goblins fought well. We tried to fight them all. Gyb hit Loyn with a javelin". Gyb hangs his head. "When the troll came we ran. Decided to fight the kobolds instead of coming back with nothing. The road bandits would not have been happy to see us with no money".

Gyb spits on the floor. "Bandits are enemies of Flarlanghn. How can we wander where we will when they stop us? Something should be done."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Starting to get a "feel" for Gyb, Mouse looks a bit concerned about the man's mental wherewithal.

"You speak in a strange manner, don't you? Has anyone ever told you that before?"

The pair continue making quick work of the paint removal job.

"Running from a troll sounds smart, but tell me more about these bandits. Sabine is always going off about them as well. Where did you encounter them? Perhaps something can be done about them, with enough manpower."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

Gyb thinks for a moment, then shrugs. "Gyb has always talked this way. Since a boy at least. Some people get mad, some make faces, some listen and talk. It's always the way."

"They are on the road where the trail breaks. One to the river and the big frogs . One through the trees. We thought there were many but Gyb thinks not now".

Once Gyb has scrubbed the coins clean he hands over thirty five to Mouse. "Thank you Mouse. Now Gyb can eat today and tomorrow. You are a good man. Like Loyn. Gyb will help you when he can".

"Gyb will find Sabine and learn more of the bandits."
He beams at Mouse and takes his leave.

35 cp deducted

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mouse just shrugs off the odd speech patterns and third person references.

"You are an interesting human, Gyb. If you ever go back to get any more of these painted coins, and need a helping hand to carry more back, let me know. I like free money, even if it is only copper."

Return to “Areas of the Keep”