LFP - Basic Fantasy adventure

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

LFP - Basic Fantasy adventure

#1 Post by Nemesis »

Background:

I'm interested in running a small Basic Fantasy adventure to learn the system. I like the simple rules and freely available resources.

I'm looking for 4 to 5 players to participate in a quick game. Players will create characters based on the BF rules at Level 1.

I'm a fairly green DM, and this will be my third play-by-post game I've run in as many years. Patience is appreciated; feedback is welcome.

I have one module I'd like to run now, and if we have a good time, I'm okay playing others in the campaign.

Requirements:

We'll start with at least one post every 24 hours, using Unseen Servant for dice rolls. Some Basic Fantasy experience would be appreciated (for guidance and rule checking) but not required.

Setting:

Medieval fantasy. The game begins in Dale, a small town located within the greater Dragonclaw Barony.

---

This thread will be for gathering interesting players and answering questions. Once we've reached a player quorum, I'll make the appropriate game forum.

Players:
  • Richard "Ruff 'N Tuff" Dean, Human Fighter (archolewa)
  • Don Quinn, Human Magic User (Eris)
  • Gurkidd Wyvernbane, Human Cleric (BaltoBruiser)
  • Free (slot in for Human Fighter)
  • Free (new character)
Last edited by Nemesis on Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

Re: LFP - Basic Fantasy adventure

#2 Post by archolewa »

I'd be interested, though I alas, don't have any experience with Basic Fantasy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

Welcome archolewa!
The forums have a two post Moderation policy :) After that you are free to post without delay, PM, and join games!
Again welcome and happy gaming!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#4 Post by Nemesis »

archolewa wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:49 pm I'd be interested, though I alas, don't have any experience with Basic Fantasy.
No problem. The rules are free to download. A good start would be going through Part 2 and creating a character. You don't have to think of an extensive background and history. You can also skip the parts discussing vehicles and siege engines.

What other systems have you played?

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by archolewa »

Nemesis wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:08 am What other systems have you played?
I played in a 5e game for about 3 years. I ran a one shot using Old School Essentials, and I've played in a few sessions of a ADND 1e West Marches game that I was invited to recently.

I've also read the rules for OSE, Swords and Wizardry, OSRIC, and several adventures in those systems (if I'm gonna get to OSR locally, I'll have to DM), though I haven't had a chance to play any of them, except for a little bit of solo play with OSE and OSRIC.

I've also spent a massive amount of time playing old school CRPG games, especially the early Wizardry games, and various roguelikes.

And here's a possible character: Richard "Ruff'n'Tuff" Dean:

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Eris »

Nemesis wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:12 pm Background:

I'm interested in running a small Basic Fantasy adventure to learn the system. I like the simple rules and freely available resources.

I'm looking for 4 to 5 players to participate in a quick game. Players will create characters based on the BF rules at Level 1.

I'm a fairly green DM, and this will be my third play-by-post game I've run in as many years. Patience is appreciated; feedback is welcome.

I have one module I'd like to run now, and if we have a good time, I'm okay playing others in the campaign.

Requirements:

We'll start with at least one post every 24 hours, using Unseen Servant for dice rolls. Some Basic Fantasy experience would be appreciated (for guidance and rule checking) but not required.

Setting:

Medieval fantasy. The game begins in Dale, a small town located within the greater Dragonclaw Barony.

---

This thread will be for gathering interesting players and answering questions. Once we've reached a player quorum, I'll make the appropriate game forum.
I'm interested in playing! I've run Basic Fantasy, but I house ruled it so much I'm probably not the guy to ask about the rules. :) Thing is I almost always end up Refereeing, so getting to actually *play* would be a treat for me. If you allow me to join, I think I'll go for a human Magic-User.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#7 Post by Nemesis »

archolewa wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:22 am I played in a 5e game for about 3 years. I ran a one shot using Old School Essentials, and I've played in a few sessions of a ADND 1e West Marches game that I was invited to recently.
Nice. OSE is a lot of fun. I was blessed to know a friend who bought the rules and was willing to run local games.
(if I'm gonna get to OSR locally, I'll have to DM), though I haven't had a chance to play any of them, except for a little bit of solo play with OSE and OSRIC.
I know how this goes. It's tough finding good groups, let alone though who play with older rules.
I've also spent a massive amount of time playing old school CRPG games, especially the early Wizardry games, and various roguelikes.
I'm a fan of cRPGs, too. I'm currently working through Icewind Dale. Which Wizardy is your favorite?
And here's a possible character: Richard "Ruff'n'Tuff" Dean:
Thank you. For Ability scores, I'm okay you (and players) exchanging scores, if you want to put that 13 into STR.
I'm interested in playing! I've run Basic Fantasy, but I house ruled it so much I'm probably not the guy to ask about the rules. :) Thing is I almost always end up Refereeing, so getting to actually *play* would be a treat for me. If you allow me to join, I think I'll go for a human Magic-User.
Welcome aboard!

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by archolewa »

Nemesis wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:41 pm
I'm a fan of cRPGs, too. I'm currently working through Icewind Dale. Which Wizardy is your favorite?
Hmm. Of the mainline games, I'd probably have to go with Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. It's exquisitely well balanced (though the bug that causes attributes to drop more often than they should in the DOS version is aggravating). The dungeon floors are very well designed. I love how elegantly simple the rules are, while still allowing for a surprising amount of depth in strategy, tactics and just sheer random surprises. Wizardry 2 and 3 aren't quite as well balanced. Wizardry 5 is good except it's dungeon floors are *very* unfriendly to those of us who like to map with paper and pencil. Wizardry 6-8 are good games, but they feel a bit bloated (the skill system feels *so* unnecessary to me).

If we include side-games and Wizardry-likes, I'd have to go with Elminage Gothic and the user scenario "From the Abysmal Bottom" in Wizardry: Five Ordeals. Both feel like they took all the good stuff in Proving Grounds and *ran* with them, with devilish maps, lethal enemies, powerful spells, and kick ass loot.

Also: Icewind Dale is an excellent game. Easily my favorite of the Infinity Engine Games (which are all very good).
Thank you. For Ability scores, I'm okay you (and players) exchanging scores, if you want to put that 13 into STR.
Don't mind if I do! I'll probably also swap the new 9 in Int with the 11 in Dex, for purely ascetic reasons. I kind of like the idea of having a fighter who is even slightly above average intelligence. So I'll have stats:

STR: 13
Int: 11
Wis: 10
Dex: 9
Con: 11
Cha: 7

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#9 Post by Nemesis »

archolewa wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:51 pm Don't mind if I do! I'll probably also swap the new 9 in Int with the 11 in Dex, for purely ascetic reasons. I kind of like the idea of having a fighter who is even slightly above average intelligence. So I'll have stats:
That works for me.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Eris »

Welcome aboard!
Great!

Firstly, I have the 2nd, 3rd and 4th editions. I don't know if there's much difference, but I'd like to know which one you're going to referencing so I can be on the same page. BTW, the Beginner's Essentials book is a great way to start if you don't feel like wading through hundreds of pages. :)

Secondly, here are my Attribute rolls from the Unseen Servant Dice Roller (straight 3d6's ). I had to do two sets of 3 as, for some reason, it wouldn't let me do six at a time.

Now I remember why I let folks do 4d6, drop lowest. :)

This is a pretty low stat character, but maybe I can make it work. Hum, from that I think I can arrange them as...
Str = 6 [-1]
Dex = 11 [0]
Con = 11 [0]
Int = 14 [+1]
Wis = 6 [-1]
Cha = 8 [-1]
...a weak, rash, ugly, fairly smart Human Magic-User who calls himself Don Quinn. He's certainly no hero! :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

archolewa
Tracker
Tracker

#11 Post by archolewa »

Eris wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:45 pm This is a pretty low stat character, but maybe I can make it work. Hum, from that I think I can arrange them as...
Str = 6 [-1]
Dex = 11 [0]
Con = 11 [0]
Int = 14 [+1]
Wis = 6 [-1]
Cha = 8 [-1]
...a weak, rash, ugly, fairly smart Human Magic-User who calls himself Don Quinn. He's certainly no hero! :)
Don Quinn and Richard were clearly the weird kids who bonded over their shared experience of being the kids nobody else liked.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Eris »

archolewa wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:03 pm
Don Quinn and Richard were clearly the weird kids who bonded over their shared experience of being the kids nobody else liked.
LOL! Yeah, Don is new to adventuring. He's unwise enough and weak enough that he's apt to stick his inquisitive nose in where it doesn't belong and get himself killed right off the bat. We'll see what happens. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Elysium777
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by Elysium777 »

I have no experience with Basic Fantasy RPG but I’m pretty interested

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by Nemesis »

Eris wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:45 pmI have the 2nd, 3rd and 4th editions. I don't know if there's much difference, but I'd like to know which one you're going to referencing so I can be on the same page.
I'm using 4th, which should be the latest.
BTW, the
Beginner's Essentials book is a great way to start if you don't feel like wading through hundreds of pages. :)
Great resource. Thanks for sharing.
Don Quinn. He's certainly no hero! :)
The stats look good. Do you mind creating a character sheet?
Elysium777 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:43 pm I have no experience with Basic Fantasy RPG but I’m pretty interested
No problem. Eris' link to the Beginner Essentials above should be enough to get you started. Once decided on a character, please make a character sheet.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Eris »

I think this is more appropriate in a specific forum for the game than here, but okay, character sheet incoming. BTW, when the forum is set up you'll need to give us the Campaign ID so we can link our sheets to your game.

Spells, weapons, inventory, etc. will come as we get to that. Oh, and I did the 11 Ac from memory, I think that's what it is for unarmored characters. I'll check that when I get a chance.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#16 Post by Nemesis »

Eris wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:18 pm I think this is more appropriate in a specific forum for the game than here, but okay, character sheet incoming. BTW, when the forum is set up you'll need to give us the Campaign ID so we can link our sheets to your game.
Thanks. I'll pass it along as soon as the game is created.

Elysium777
Strider
Strider

#17 Post by Elysium777 »

Okay here’s my character sheet, let me know if I need to fix anything

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#18 Post by Nemesis »

Elysium777 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:41 am Okay here’s my character sheet, let me know if I need to fix anything
Nothing immediately jumps out. Thanks for putting it together.

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#19 Post by Nemesis »

I'll leave this thread open for more one day. Meanwhile, I'll create the campaign thread. If we can't get another player, I can roll a hireling (maybe a healer-tract, but you all can tell me if you want someone different) to join the party.

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by Nemesis »

@Eris, @Elysium777, @archolewa: I've added you all to the campaign's usergroup. For attaching character sheets, the ID is: 1038. I'll make the first post to start the game. See you all there!

Return to “Looking for players or games”